Arturo Gatti vs Floyd Mayweather jr.

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

MR. CLEEN

CEO/Producer of E&K Music Group
Apr 25, 2002
Floyd dismantled Gatti as expected by real boxing purists.. Gatti has never been more than a gatekeeper for any division he has been in. He knew he had no chance, and anyone rooting for him was just wishful thinking... No one, I said no one in his division including Hatton or Cotto can come close to beating Floyd. He is that far of head of his competition. After he cleans up this division, I want to see him and Zab or Winky... And I'll go on the record and say he'll clean their clocks as well.

May 6, 2002
147 is a big jump, but I think Floyd can do some damage in that division.

To jump to 154 with Wright, that's a little too much. He will lose a lot of speed and his punches wont phase fighters at 154.

Gatti is still sav.

Dec 25, 2003
Gatti was in over his head. I like Mayweather against all the rest of the 140lbers out there. If he fought Hatton in Manchester (where Hatton can hold with impunity) it would be a tough fight. In the States it would be a clinic. Cotto was sitting ringside and he look SHOOK! He better not even think about stepping in the ring with Floyd. Tszyu wouldn't make it too far with him either in my opinion. I might give Hatton the best chance of beating Floyd, but I still wouldn't bet on it. Also, I think the risk factor is too high for Hatton to fight PBF right now, so he may cash in a few more times before getting in the ring with him. I think Mayweather should stay at 140 for at least one more year, but I think he beats Zab at 147. Just a more COMPLETE boxer. He looks destined to become one of the all time greats.

Apr 17, 2003
COTTO WILL GET EATEN UP BY FLOYD HE IS THE BEST IT MIGHT BE A WHILE BEFORE HE FEELS HIS FIRST LOST. MAN FUCKIN HARRIS DON'T WANNA LISTEN TO EMANUAL STEWERT ,HE DESERVED TO GET KNOCKED THE FUCK OUT IN FRONT OF THE WORLD . GATTI SHOULD FIGHT A FEW MORE TIMES ,THEN HANG'EM UP . GATTI COULD'NT EVEN GET OFF HIS PUNCHES ,TOO MUCH SPEED FOR HIM.

May 6, 2002
Wow, everyone needs to hold up for a second!

Just because he beat Gatti does not make him King of the Ring. That was the exact purpose of this PPV match, remember that. Floyd needed the recognition and now people are all over him.

Tsyzu whooped Mitchell, badly. Then everyone was saying Tsyzu is king. Then Hatton beat Tsyzu, and now Hatton is king. Someone at 140 can beat Floyd, whether it be a journeyman or someone like Hatton.

Mayweather was fighting butters before he beat a gatekeeper (Gatti). His toughest test was Castillo, in which the majority of the boxing community believes he lost the first fight. What was his other big name opponent? It was Corrales, over 5 years ago! For the last 3 years his most respectable opponent was Victoriano Sosa.

I just can't believe that he went from a not very well known champ, to top of the list overnight. It will take a couple SOLID opponents for me to jump on this bandwagon.

May 17, 2002
On thing tho, Mayweather doent have quite as much power as some fighters out there (see earlier fight that evening with Moussa for one punch power). He was getting really clean blows in and not knocking Gatti out. Mayweather is hella quick and can box his ass off though. I didnt see the fight that lampley was refering to when Mayweather almost lost, but I did see the Corley fight, about a year ago (was replayed just the other day) where he got rocked in one of the rounds. So who knows, but Cotto/ mayweather would be tight in my opinion, just because Cotto always starts punching back relentlessly when his opponent gets in close to fire. I wonder if he could do that to Mayweather.

MR. CLEEN

CEO/Producer of E&K Music Group
Apr 25, 2002
Cats don't have to jump on the Mayweather bandwagon, cause there aint no need for a bandwagon... This dude aint undefeated for nuthin. Granted, he's not a one punch knock out artists, but how many are at that weight. Hatton is built for a loss to Mayweather simply because he will have a similar style to Tzsu and Gatti, following a speedy boxer who has one of the best defenses hands down. Don't blame him because he doesn't get hit much. People don't like him because of his persona, but fuck all that... Seriously name one fighter who can give him fits until he reaches 154... Be real.... You can't name one who will even give him a problem.

Now Maussa don't have no great knock powe. He's a lucky nobody. He knocked Vivian Harris down, I'll give him that, and he was just too tired to get up after wearing him self out throwing all those bombs in the first few rounds. Had Vivian fought the fight Emmanuel had set out for him, Maussa would have been blown out the water. Watch what happens in the rematch, and you know there was a rematch clause so Maussa won't be holding that belt too long. Harris is a far superior fighter, but at times he's uncoahable as he showed saturday night. Hopefully this fight will humble him, and he can fight Mayweather when he gets his belt back.

May 17, 2002
I could picture this exact topic being posted, if this message board was in existence about 15 years ago, after Mike Tyson's last fight before Buster Douglas. In a sport where one punch can change careers and exploit a fighters weakness, everyone does seem to be jumping on the Mayweather bandwagon.

May 10, 2002
Noone is touching Mayweather, Mayweather was having a little trouble when he was first moving up in weight but now he looks like hes at natural weight even though he moved up a lot. Hatton cant do that smothering that he did to Tzysu to Mayweather, matter of fact if there was a better ref Hatton wouldnt have got away with all that smotherin on Tzysu. Mayweather has the best defense damn near ive ever seen in a fighter and his speed is just simply amazing.

May 6, 2002
I cant even direct my post at anyone specifically because everyone is saying the exact same thing. Where was everyone BEFORE he beat Gatti? Gatti is Gatti, he's no 140 king. As soon as he handled Arturro, everyone is sayin "Floyd cant be beat, hes the best, etc". Do you not realize that that is EXACTLY what they (boxing commision and promoters)wanted you to do, and that is exactly what you are doing. That was the MAIN prupose of this PPV. The buys on this PPV wont even come close to what people will now dish out to see him fight again.

May 6, 2002
C-DUBB said:
floyd has beat some good fighters , corrales , castillo ( two times ) , corely , and now gatti. its time to unify at 140
He beat Corrales YEARS ago. Back in 2001.

He beat Castillo ONCE.

Corely and Gatti are both B fighters.

That is Mayweathers resume.

Sep 28, 2002
Friends No More, Zab Calls Out Mayweather

Zab to Floyd: ‘Let’s Meet at 147 pounds’

Undisputed World Welterweight Champion Zab ‘Super’ Judah Congratulates ‘Pretty Boy’ Floyd Mayweather on Becoming a Three Division World Champion; ‘Super’ is Waiting for ‘Pretty Boy’ at Welterweight if He Wants to Go for Four

BROOKLYN, N.Y.— Undisputed world welterweight champion Zab “Super” Judah extended his congratulations to “Pretty Boy” Floyd Mayweather today after his dominating performance against Arturo “Thunder” Gatti on Saturday to become a three-division world champion. Judah also extended an invitation to Mayweather to fight at 147 pounds if he wants to try to become a four-division champion.

“Floyd’s performance speaks for itself,” Judah said. “He’s now won world titles at 130, 135 and 140 pounds. This is a tremendous accomplishment for any boxer, and I congratulate him on that.”

Looking to the future, the three-time world champion Judah (34-2, 25 KOs) also extended an offer to the undefeated Mayweather (34-0, 23 KOs) if he would like to move up to welterweight and contend for his world crowns.

“Floyd knows what I bring to the table and I know what he’s got,” Judah said. “If he wants to move up to 147, I’m waiting here for him because I always want to fight the best guys out there.”

Judah’s promoter, Don King, echoed his fighter’s sentiments and offered his assessment of Mayweather’s options.

“I also congratulate Floyd on his accomplishment on Saturday,” King said. “He can unify world titles at 140 pounds, but the real fight the public wants to see is Judah vs. Mayweather for the undisputed world welterweight championship.”

“Zab and Floyd have never ducked anyone. I’d like to see Floyd accept Zab’s challenge for what would be one of the all-time-great matches.”

http://www.boxingscene.com/index.php?m=show&id=1444

Tony

Sicc OG
May 15, 2002
MR. CLEEN said:
Cats don't have to jump on the Mayweather bandwagon, cause there aint no need for a bandwagon... This dude aint undefeated for nuthin. Granted, he's not a one punch knock out artists, but how many are at that weight. Hatton is built for a loss to Mayweather simply because he will have a similar style to Tzsu and Gatti, following a speedy boxer who has one of the best defenses hands down. Don't blame him because he doesn't get hit much. People don't like him because of his persona, but fuck all that... Seriously name one fighter who can give him fits until he reaches 154... Be real.... You can't name one who will even give him a problem.

Now Maussa don't have no great knock powe. He's a lucky nobody. He knocked Vivian Harris down, I'll give him that, and he was just too tired to get up after wearing him self out throwing all those bombs in the first few rounds. Had Vivian fought the fight Emmanuel had set out for him, Maussa would have been blown out the water. Watch what happens in the rematch, and you know there was a rematch clause so Maussa won't be holding that belt too long. Harris is a far superior fighter, but at times he's uncoahable as he showed saturday night. Hopefully this fight will humble him, and he can fight Mayweather when he gets his belt back.
Man I was feeling you until you brought up Vivian Harris. Maussa is a total bum. He fought the whole fight with his hands down (his chin was exposed the whole fight!!).... he teased Vivian Harris the whole fight. He took everything Vivian had and then laughed and stuck his tongue out at him. Vivian Harris is/was a paper champion. That man is garbage. He was worn out in the 2nd and 3rd round. I don't care how many hard punches he threw. A fighter his age shouldn't be getting tired like that in the early rounds of a fight. What kind of training did they take this cat through? That had to be the worse performance I've ever seen from a champion. Maussa stalled on him to the jaw and then ran and hit him in the head while he was on the ground. If that was me I would of got up and took Maussa out period. A fighter like Vivian shouldn't belong in the ring with a classy figher like Mayweather. Mayweather would take him out in 1 round man. Vivian Harris versus Mayweather? It will never happen. You can tell Emmanuel Stewart was feeling sorry for Vivian Harris. Vivian just don't have what it takes. That fool got bombed on the jaw and then got hit in the head..... he's too soft. To be honest I wouldn't be surprised if he lost the rematch.