Artest done for year

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jun 24, 2004
Shit just dropped on ESPNEWS. Hit with Link if anyone has

Artest done for rest of year

Jackson 30 games

O Neal 25 games

Wallace 6 games

A couple of other minor one games where handed out

Grim

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
www.grim64131.freeservers.com
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1928540

It appears the Indiana Pacers will pay a heavy price for Friday's embarrassing melee.

Ron Artest has been suspended for the season, while teammates Stephen Jackson received a 30-game suspension, and Jermaine O'Neal, a 25-game suspension, ESPN.com's Marc Stein and Insider Chad Ford have learned.

"The penalties issued today deal only with one aspect of this incident -- that of player misconduct. The actions of the players involved wildly exceeded the professionalism and self control that should rarely be accepted from NBA players," commissioner David Stern said in a statement Sunday.

The Detroit Pistons will be without Ben Wallace for six games.

Indiana's Anthony Johnson also received a five-game suspension.

Eldon Campbell, Chauncey Billups and Derrick Coleman, as the Pacers' Reggie Miller each received 1-game suspensions and $35,000 fines for leaving the bench following the initial altercation between Wallace and Artest.

"We must ... not allow our sport to be debased by what seems to be declining expectations for behavior by fans and athletes alike," Stern said in the statement.

Artest, O'Neal and Jackson -- who all threw punches at spectators in the stands or on the court at the end of the nationally televised Pacers-Pistons game -- began serving suspensions Saturday night when the league handed down indefinite bans until specific number of games could be decided upon.

The brawl was particularly violent, with Artest and Jackson bolting into the stands near center court and throwing punches at fans after debris was tossed at the players.

Later, fans who came onto the court were punched in the face by Artest and O'Neal.

Wallace began the fracas by delivering a hard, two-handed shove to Artest after Wallace was fouled on a drive to the basket with 45.9 seconds remaining. After the fight ended, the referees called off the remainder of the game. Pacers players were pelted with drinks, popcorn and other debris as they rushed to the locker room. The initial skirmish wasn't all that bad, with Artest retreating to the scorer's table and lying atop it after Wallace sent him reeling backward.

But when a fan tossed a cup at Artest, he stormed into the stands, throwing punches as he climbed over seats.

"He was on top of me, pummeling me," fan Mike Ryan of Clarkston said. "He asked me, 'Did you do it? I said, 'No, man. No!"'

Jackson joined Artest and threw punches at fans, who punched back. At one point, a chair was tossed into the fray.

Security personnel and ushers tried to break it up. Former Pistons player Rick Mahorn, who was seated courtside as a Detroit radio analyst, also stepped in.

Artest was benched for two games this month for asking Pacers coach Rick Carlisle for time off because of a busy schedule that included promoting a rap album.

Artest was suspended twice by the NBA last season, once for leaving the bench during a fracas at a Pacers-Celtics playoff game; the other for elbowing Portland's Derek Anderson. During the 2002-03 season, Artest was suspended five times by the NBA and once by the Pacers for a total of 12 games.

Artest also once grabbed a television camera and smashed it to the ground after a loss to the Knicks two years ago.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Oct 9, 2002
Mean Mugg said:
what? BULLSHIT!!! Wallace started that hole shit and he only got 6 games? come on now.
Wallace jumped into the crowd????? I musta missed that. Although he did start the melee, any1 else in the situation (if a fight wouldnt have broke out) wouldnt have even got suspended. He got more then he deserved IMO.

Jun 24, 2004
Grim said:
damn, they wasnt playing on that suspension...im sure Artest and the Pacers are going to appeal that shit....there season is basically ruined now

Shit isnt gonna be over turned. Artest has prior shit on his record. I could see O Neals being reduced. But not much else will happen

Jun 13, 2002
siccness.net
How come Artest was so quick to fight a guy who threw beer on him (didnt even hit the right guy) but backs down from a dude who shoves the shit outta him and is looking to fight him? Jackson should be with Artest on the suspension, I felt they did about the same type of shit.

Apr 1, 2002
BadBoyKillaDPG said:
Wallace jumped into the crowd????? I musta missed that. Although he did start the melee, any1 else in the situation (if a fight wouldnt have broke out) wouldnt have even got suspended. He got more then he deserved IMO.
Where in the hell did I say he jumped into the crowd? I said Wallace started that shit, which then escalated into the melee. THe foul wasn't THAT hard he ain't injured or holding anything as if there was pain. I didn't see a hard foul. Wallace's reaction was harsh I've never seen a player in NBA history push someone in the face like that. Ok after he did that he could of stopped I mean Artest wasn't storming back or anything he was gonna let that shit go from the appearances of it. But Wallace didn't he wanted to get more of Artest as if that push in the face wasn't enough in retaliation towards the foul, I didn't see the ref call a Flagrant. THEN, Wallace was restrained, Artest said fuck it I'm not gonna do this shit so he calms himself down by laying on the table, joking around putting a headphone on and what not. BUT STILL, it could of been over but WALLACE took off his headband and chucked it at Artest. Artest reacted but gained his control and laid back down. I mean WTF do you expect a player to do after being pushed in the face like that?You can only remain calm for so long, Wallace made huge deal out of that whole shit. You got your push in the face which was 10x harsher than the foul Artest committed. Give me a fuckin break, if Wallace stopped after that push shit would of been over but Wallace kept at it, kept the fans hyped out which caused the melee and that's my opinion.

Jul 16, 2002
www.buschlightboys.com
TONY206 said:
How come Artest was so quick to fight a guy who threw beer on him (didnt even hit the right guy) but backs down from a dude who shoves the shit outta him and is looking to fight him? Jackson should be with Artest on the suspension, I felt they did about the same type of shit.
Very true man, he was quick to fight some guy half his size, but he bitched out to the real aggressor. I am glad this idiot got suspended for the year.

Ta TownBacker

Apr 1, 2002
Let's see the stupidity of the suspensions:

Pistons: Wallace, started the violence and chucked a headband at the opposing player who is not retaliating which then is the possible cause for one of the fans to chuck something at Artest, only get's 6 games. R. Wallace, who also pushed some pacer players and also jumped into the crowd trying to do some damage but doesn't get's NO SUSPENSIONS.

Pacers: Opposing WINNING team who's not at home gets 3 of their best players suspended for 25 or more games. The Piston fans benefit from the suspensions eventhough they were a huge part of the Melee. Unfuckinbelievable.

Stern's an idiot, he makes the OPPOSING team pay far worse than the fans of Detriot, stupid.

Jun 24, 2004
Mean Mugg said:
Let's see the stupidity of the suspensions:

Pistons: Wallace, started the violence and chucked a headband at the opposing player who is not retaliating which then is the possible cause for one of the fans to chuck something at Artest, only get's 6 games. R. Wallace, who also pushed some pacer players and also jumped into the crowd trying to do some damage but doesn't get's NO SUSPENSIONS.

Pacers: Opposing WINNING team who's not at home gets 3 of their best players suspended for 25 or more games. The Piston fans benefit from the suspensions eventhough they were a huge part of the Melee. Unfuckinbelievable.

Stern's an idiot, he makes the OPPOSING team pay far worse than the fans of Detriot, stupid.

Wow all I can suggest is to take it like a man. You are an obvious Pacer fan who cant take what they deserve. Your playes fucked up. Now they have to deal with it. I sure as yell wouldnt be defending the Spurs if Tim Duncan did this kind of shit. But yet again he knows how to control himself.

Apr 1, 2002
Actually I'm a warriors fan you fucking idiot. WTF? I can't voice opinion on the matter? If i do I'm a pacers fan? Fucking moron.

Let's see you control yourself after being shoved in the face by Ben wallace and then getting a beer thrown at you, clown.

Jun 24, 2004
Mean Mugg said:
Actually I'm a warriors fan you fucking idiot. WTF? I can't voice opinion on the matter? If i do I'm a pacers fan? Fucking moron.

Let's see you control yourself after being shoved in the face by Ben wallace and then getting a beer thrown at you, clown.

Artest fouled Wallace from behind HARD with 40 secs left up by 15. WTF is that? You are trying to pin this shit all on Detroit. WHO THE FUCK CHARGED IN THE STANDS? Thats why Artest was suspended. And oh BTW Rasheed Wallace DIDNT PUSH ANYONE nor did he attack anyone in the stands. He was trying to stop Idiot pacers from attacking innocent people.

Oct 9, 2002
Mean Mugg said:

I do respect ur opinion, but artest DID in fact control himself when Wallace went at him. He didn't control himself when a fan threw a beer. Funny how he can control himself when a bigger man PHYSICALLY assaults him, but he cant control himself when a smaller guy throws a plastic cup at him.

Jun 24, 2004
And im not the one making millions of dollars for playing basketball, so i dont know how i would react, but hopefully i would have a bit of self control. Theres something wrong upstairs with Artest.