Anyone play guitar?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Sep 24, 2005
soundcloud.com
Yeah it has those abalone inlays. It's cool, but the thing is, I have never played another electric guitar, so I can't say it's great. I like it so far though. I'm planning on trying out some of those high end yamaha guitars though. PRS guitars look cool, but ultimately I want to own a Gretsch black falcon, or at least play one.

i like the american flag on there. That's the only reason i'm hesitant on removing the pickguard plastic

Kyle

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
I had some $150 Aria something-or-other, a cheap black and white stratocaster knock-off, when I was 12 years old and played it and took lessons until I turned 17 or 18. The place I was taking lessons at closed and then I took off all my strings with the intent of putting some new ones on, got lazy about it, and never picked it up again. I still regret it, but i guess nothing is stopping me from dusting it off or buying a new one.

Feb 5, 2006
I played for like 5 years but gave it up when I came in the Air Force. I never got really good but just had a lot of fun playing punk and gettin faded and just fuckin around. I sold my gee because I was desperate for cash but I sure do miss it. I had an electric Ibanez Talman. I'll probably get another one someday but when I do I'm going to take lessons because that's really the only way you can tear shit up, and if you play long enough you'll want to get good.
There's no lae that says u lessons 2 tear shit up lol If u keep your ears open and listen 2 a lot of different shit and play a lot and you'll find your groove.

Sep 24, 2005
soundcloud.com
I had some $150 Aria something-or-other, a cheap black and white stratocaster knock-off, when I was 12 years old and played it and took lessons until I turned 17 or 18. The place I was taking lessons at closed and then I took off all my strings with the intent of putting some new ones on, got lazy about it, and never picked it up again. I still regret it, but i guess nothing is stopping me from dusting it off or buying a new one.
damn 5 years aint no joke...i'd be really upset with myself if i threw it all away in a couple of years, haha, i get mad at myself for missing a day of practice.

It's going to suck even more when you start again and you realize all the things that you were able to do before are now gone. But you'll keep on trying to play like you did before...well, that's how i felt when i didn't play for a week.

Apr 25, 2002
Honestly, I'd go to a guitar store and try out a bunch of shit. Old and new. The thing I have learned through playing and buying guitars, is that a good guitar is one YOU like! There are quite a few guitars in the $200 to $300 range that are great playing guitars. Go check them out, play them and decide from there what you want.

Sep 24, 2005
soundcloud.com
Don't go to a local shop go to a guitar centerish store. Small shops overcharge if you don't know what your doing

also don't test the guitar on a high end amp or with a bunch of effects

epiphone makes some quality stuff and yamaha guitars arnt bad either. My first squire sucked though, maybe that was just me.

Sep 24, 2005
soundcloud.com
If you start off on acoustic, you'll be able to switch to electric with ease, but the other way around, it'll be more difficult. Acoustic guitar strings are higher from the fretboard than electric guitars, so you'll be exerting more force when you fret compared to the electric. However, the fun factor of an electric guitar makes practicing more delightful. So, chances are you won't give up sooner.

May 16, 2002
^^what he said.

i am certainly glad that i started on acoustic. i didnt get my 1st electric until about 9 months into my playing. it was a great transition. plus, it is always tight to have an acoustic to bust out and play...electrics are no fun if they aren't plugged in.

Sep 17, 2006
I just started...been playing electric for about a month. Just a cheap Strat knockoff, I will be getting a Gibson Maestro in a few weeks.

I can read guitar tabs well and I can play like Brain Stew, Iron Man, Smoke on the Water lol. Anybody know any other easy songs for beginners?

Sep 17, 2006
I just started...been playing electric for about a month. Just a cheap Strat knockoff, I will be getting a Gibson Maestro in a few weeks.

I can read guitar tabs well and I can play like Brain Stew, Iron Man, Smoke on the Water lol. Anybody know any other easy songs for beginners?

SRD420

RAGE-REST-REPEAT
Oct 12, 2004
Minnesota
First song I ever learned on acoustic was Bob Dylan's Knockin on Heavens Door... super super easy. Smoke on The Water was another first, lol, also super super easy.

Sep 24, 2005
soundcloud.com
Sep 24, 2005
soundcloud.com
by the way, forget learning every scale on the guitar, you just need to learn about the CAGED method of learning the fretboard. I figured it out independently but later found out it was an actual method.

Think about the 3 primary chords in the keys C,A,G,E, and D. If you form a G chord at the 8 fret, you essentially form a C chord. Now, all the relationships that were in the key of G apply here. If you form a C chord on the 8 fret, you make a F chord; in the key of G, C functions as the IV chord, similarly the F is IV in the key of C. Okay i'm kinda sleepy but i'll elaborate on this.

Once you figure it out, you basically crack the fretboard, i can play in every position, solo on any chord, and make some interesting ass music now. Plus i can play in every key also, so that's an added bonus, G flat minor? no problamo. i'll elaborate in the future maybe

May 16, 2002
so how about guitar effects? whats your guys' arsenal of effects, right now i mess with vsts, guitar rig, and a digitech rp-50. I'm going to start to try to make my own with the aid of this website, www.diystompboxes.com I'm up for a challenge.

i have a boss ds-2 distortion, boss flanger, boss super chorus, electro harmonix small clone chorus, electro harmonix poly-chorus (by far my favorite pedal ever), some cheap fuzz that actually sounds cool, a dunlop wah pedal and i have a late 70s or early 80s ibanez analog effects rack with cool ass phaser/flanger/distortion/chorus/tremelo/delay on it. i need a new delay pedal and i want to get an EH big muff soon, i love the distortion they put out...

effects are fuckin exciting things to play with!!

i play through a 1974 fender twin reverb and a 1980's twin. i love fender twin reverbs ... nothing compares to the clean sound they have.

Sep 24, 2005
soundcloud.com
damn, thats hella sick. I've yet to get a wah, always wanted one, but i might get it soon. But first i need to get an amp, I don't know what kind of amp i should get though, I'm going to go to guitar center to try some out.

Did you buy all of your gear second hand?