Anyone Ever have to file a lawsuit for copyright infringement?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 26, 2002
Did you file for Statutory Damages or Actual Damages?
I may have to take some legal action, this one person stole one of my beats that I have registered with the copyright office, and he's using it without my permission. He's not selling it, but he still used it without my consent.

Apparantly I can get no less than $750 and no more than $30,000 for statutory damages(I got this off www.copyright.gov)

May 2, 2002
Mac Dre's last 2 albums had beats from me on them.

The intro and the title track on Mac Dammit Man.

Stuart Littles (track 3) on Thizzelle Washington.

I didn't get paid or credit. I didn't think he'd jack the rough draft mixes. I'm kinda glad he didn't attach my name to that garbage though.

Mr. D-Sane

Sicc OG, muthafucka
Apr 25, 2002
Seattle
www.streetlevelrecords.com
Forty Killa said:
put the beat on c.d. or whatever you are using and mail it to yourself. keep the package closed. easy way for copyrighting your shit.
AKA "The poor mans copyright"......won't stand a day in court. Quit being a cheapskate and register yo shit!

@ BIG J....is it worth the time and effort? Personally.....I would "settle out of court".....lol. A little street prosecution never hurt anybody......well maybe a little bit!

Apr 26, 2002
Mr. D-Sane said:
@ BIG J....is it worth the time and effort? Personally.....I would "settle out of court".....lol. A little street prosecution never hurt anybody......well maybe a little bit!
LMAO!
Hmm... I could really use the money, maybe I'll have a "lawyer" call him to threaten a lawsuit, then he will settle out of court. It's all part of my Scam, er, uh, Plan, yeah, that's the ticket!
I'd like to beat his ass too, for handin' out all these CD's(at least 30 I know of) with my name on it, plus he was talkin' a whole lot of shit on the tracks.He took samples of parts wehre I was talkin' on some tracks, and chopped them up, so he would say "Yadda, yadda, Yeah Chris dropped 200 bars of soap in BIG J's shower, isn't that right BIG J?" and he drops a sample of me sayin', "yeah, thatz right". Bitch shit. So maybe I will have to settle out of court. Shit has me so mad, If I ever see him anywhere I'm gonna rush that fool. I don't care if he's in his car, and I'm walkin', I'm still gonna be runnin' after him. we already dropped some tracks clownin' him BIG TIME, three different Camps clowned on him, people he doesn't even know clowned him hard. So we're gonna pass out CD's on him, and put them up on the internet, he's gonna get clowned worldwide.It's gonna be funny, in his college classes, the teacher's gonna be doin' roll call, and his name will come up, and folks will be laughin' at him. Before I even heard the CD he made, I was hella pissed, and called him out, he played it off like it was nothin', but he was talkin' so much shit on there, there's no way he "just threw that in there"(thatz what he told me). His raps are so fuckin' sorry, we put him to major shame.
The dude got called out twice, and didn't even show up. (I made a track about that)

This dude did all this bullshit, cuz he was jealous he couldn't drop anything in my studio for free. He was even askin' me for throwaway beats. Bitch!, you can't even lay your hands on my throwaways! LOL!

Whew, I started ventin' there for a minute

@2%, Here's some info I got off the site

Can I copyright the name of my band?
No. Names are not protected by copyright law. Some names may be protected under trademark law. Contact the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office, 800-786-9199, for further information.

How do I copyright a name, title, slogan or logo?
Copyright does not protect names, titles, slogans, or short phrases. In some cases, these things may be protected as trademarks. Contact the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office, 800-786-9199, for further information. However, copyright protection may be available for logo artwork that contains sufficient authorship. In some circumstances, an artistic logo may also be protected as a trademark.

N

NOSTRIL KING

Why would you press charges like a snitch? You better approach that fool and explain to him why it's bad for his bitch ass health to steal yo shit.

If somebody break in your house and rape your wife, what you gonna do call the cops and cry? Ol bitch ass

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
IF HE COULD BARELY PAY FOR STUDIO TIME AND BEATS WHY SUE? IF HE HASN'T USED THE MUSIC ON A COMMRECIAL RELEASE OR MADE MONEY FROM IT (THAT YOU CAN PROVE)YOUR CHANCES OF COLLECTING ANY DAMAGES ARE CLOSE TO ZERO.

AND NO IM NOT BACK ON THIS CESSPOOL OF A BOARD. IM SIMPLY DROPPING BY.

:H THE G.K.:

Apr 26, 2002
Nostril Queen,
You always have something to say about everyone don't you?
I think I would rather keep things nice and legal in the first place, I wouldn't want to get caught up with a case.
Press Charges like a Snitch? WTF are you talkin' about.
Let's say Dr. Dre had one of his beats stolen, you think he's gonna smash on the fools?And end up goin' to prison, or is he gonna file a lawsuit? hmmmm... tough decision there?

Besides, this whole thing is rigged, he took the bait, and he's gonna use the beat. And I happen to need money, so shit, why not?

And if someone broke in my house to rape the wife I don't have, Hell yeah, I would call the cops and have them dusting for fingerprints, otherwise I would probably have no idea who did it. And to see them behind bars would be easier on everyone, than me gettin' caught up for getting my revenge and shit. There's certain things you handle personally, and certain things you have to look to others for help.
Dumbass!

It would be statutory damages, not actual damages, he's still using it without my permission, and distributing it

May 27, 2002
BIG J said:

Let's say Dr. Dre had one of his beats stolen, you think he's gonna smash on the fools?And end up goin' to prison, or is he gonna file a lawsuit? hmmmm... tough decision there?
well its different, because with Dre hed only be around people who would have money to sue for. he wouldnt be fucking with an artist in the first place who wouldnt be making money off having a Dre record. so it would make more sense in that case, to file a lawsuit. whereas in this case, they probably arent making a lot of money off your beat, so suing them will get you nothing.

gaffle that fool

N

NOSTRIL KING

HERESY said:
IF HE COULD BARELY PAY FOR STUDIO TIME AND BEATS WHY SUE? IF HE HASN'T USED THE MUSIC ON A COMMRECIAL RELEASE OR MADE MONEY FROM IT (THAT YOU CAN PROVE)YOUR CHANCES OF COLLECTING ANY DAMAGES ARE CLOSE TO ZERO.

AND NO IM NOT BACK ON THIS CESSPOOL OF A BOARD. IM SIMPLY DROPPING BY.

:H THE G.K.:
I AM ABSOLUTELY 100% HAPPY THAT YOU HAVE RETURNED ONCE AND FOR ALL. WHAT WILL YOU DO FIRST NOW THAT YOU HAVE RETURNED?

N

NOSTRIL KING

Big J is gay as hell. Talkin bout it's ok to snitch. You probably let people steal your beats all the time and call 911 immediately. You probably holding your security blanket shedding tears right now watching Finding Nemo over some hot chocolate.

LOL You'd let someone rape your wife and let the cops handle it? You're probably a cracker from the suburbs who voted for Bush. You probably watch "COPS" episodes where the neighbors start snitchin and say "DAMN I WISH THAT WAS ME THOSE POLICE HEROS WORK SO HARD FOR US I WISH I COULD DO MORE."

You probably sued your neighbor for lettin his dog shit in your front yard. Weakling. Doesn't surprise me that you scared of jail, you'd become the next version of Beecher and start a love affair with a 7 foot nigga in your cell. I don't know why you scared cuz you'd love every minute of it peckerwood.

I'd like to hear some of your music. It probably sounds like Prince with some hoe nigga rapping about metaphors or some hoe shit. Gay.

May 1, 2003
To register a copyright claim for a published work, send the following to the U.S. Copyright Office, Library of Congress, 101 Independence Avenue S.E., Washington, DC 20559-6000 :
for unpublished works: One complete copy or phonorecord (CD or whatever you recorded to)of the work, or whatever best represents it. Retain a duplicate. Manuscripts and phonorecords are not returned. For works first published in the United States: two copies of the best edition of the work. Works published only in phonorecords: two coplete phonorecords of the best edition.
For a contribution to a collective work: one complete copy of the best edition of the collective work. A completed application form.
A registration fee of $30 payable by check, money order, or bank draft to the Register of Copyrights. Cash is sent at your own risk!

The following copyright forms used in the music buisness are available to you at the Copyright Office for no charge. I suggest you check em out and study them... for those of you who are serious about this shit. Form PA for works in performing arts.
Form SR , for sound recordings(this is the one you'll use most if you make beats) Form TX , for all your rhyme books.
Form VA, for visual arts , DVD's, your Graphic Designs on your website, CD cover designs...that type of shit! Form RE , for renewal registrations. Form CA , this is used to correct any errors in a previous registration. Here's the link for the forms.
http://www.loc.gov/copyright/forms .....PROTECT] YOURSELF!!!!
there's a lot more to it than this, but this'll get you started ,so do your homework folks.
that ends today's lesson:devious:

Apr 27, 2003
www.slapshack.com
DOG HANDLE THAT SHIT MAN TO MAN. BEAT HIS ASS. IT DONT MAKE SENSE DOIN ALL YOUR TALKIN BECAUSE YOU END UP FUCKING YOURSELF. IM GUESSING HE AINT GOT NO MONEY SO THERE IS NO POINT IN GOING AFTER HIM. YOU'LL END UP SPENDING MORE MONEY ON A LAWYER THAN IT WAS WORTH.

& THE DRE ANALOGY WAS BAD. ITS DRE!!!! YOU AINT DRE HOMIE. THIS SMALL TIME PETTY SHIT. IF HE DISRESPECTED YOU LIKE THAT HANDLE IT WITH SOME BLOODY KNUCKLES OR ON WAX ITS UP TO YOU. BUT KEEP IT OUT OF COURT. MY $4.08

GOOD LUCK

May 1, 2003
^^^^If you ain't doin it on record....then I'm wit Gryme...
reach out n touch em ..put tha hands on em dogg. If you slangin shit out tha trunk...that is your hard work, sweat, late nights , all kind of effort then that shit can't fly and mutha fuckas gone run over you. and your name is ruined before it even gets recognized. Your first beats are your foundation and somebody's takin your bricks. I dunno that's just me!!! Even if he aint gettin paid from em .. he disrespected you!! Flat out.:devious: