Angels runnin' away.

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

BAMMER

Siccness Gray Hair
Apr 25, 2002
Auburn Wa
www.dawgman.com
G-Dubb,your opinion means zero to me.You lost your only 2 pitchers who have achieved anything in the last 2 years.Maybe you reading the local papers on the daily has givin you these ridiculous ideas that Oakland has a great staff,great bullpen,and a explosive offense.Everyone else see's a group of young pitchers at the major league level who have'nt done anything significant for a full season,an mediocre bullpen,and an offense that is far from spectacular,and has you relying on everyone duplicating their past great season.Regardless of how they finish in the West,and I'll even daydream the idea of them getting a playoff birth,they are'nt going to win playoff series,and are'nt going to spend the extra money to win the big one.In short,they are mediocre,and have'nt and will not duplicate there past success this year.

Aug 20, 2004
Seattle has the best bullpen in the AL...collective ERA of 2.07...but that dont mae up for startin pitchin and HORRIBLE offense...they can only stop the bleeding...

Apr 25, 2002
BAMMER said:
G-Dubb,your opinion means zero to me.You lost your only 2 pitchers who have achieved anything in the last 2 years.Maybe you reading the local papers on the daily has givin you these ridiculous ideas that Oakland has a great staff,great bullpen,and a explosive offense.Everyone else see's a group of young pitchers at the major league level who have'nt done anything significant for a full season,an mediocre bullpen,and an offense that is far from spectacular,and has you relying on everyone duplicating their past great season.Regardless of how they finish in the West,and I'll even daydream the idea of them getting a playoff birth,they are'nt going to win playoff series,and are'nt going to spend the extra money to win the big one.In short,they are mediocre,and have'nt and will not duplicate there past success this year.
LOL

You're obviously not reading my posts... But I can't say I'm surprised. That's alright. You can sit there with your head up your ass and spew your nonsense, that's fine with me, just direct it elsewhere from now on.

BAMMER

Siccness Gray Hair
Apr 25, 2002
Auburn Wa
www.dawgman.com
Let's pretend I did'nt read it.

The A's starting pitching has a grand total of 5 wins,2nd worst in AL.Mulder and Hudson have 7 between the two of them.
3 of Oaklands starters have an era around 5.50.
OAKLAND IS LAST IN THE AL IN
RUNS SCORED
TRIPLES
TOTAL BASES
SLUGGING
RBI
STOLEN BASES
2ND TO LAST IN HR'S AND DOUBLES

THEY JUST ARE NOT GOOD,YOU ARE IN A FANTASY LAND OF HOPING EVERYONE HAS A CAREER YEAR.

THEY A'S ARE HANDS DOWN WORSE THIS YEAR IN ALL ASPECTS,EXCEPT THE BULLPEN FOR NOW.

DEAL WITH IT!!!!

Apr 25, 2002
BAMMER said:
Let's pretend I did'nt read it.

The A's starting pitching has a grand total of 5 wins,2nd worst in AL.Mulder and Hudson have 7 between the two of them.
3 of Oaklands starters have an era around 5.50.
OAKLAND IS LAST IN THE AL IN
RUNS SCORED
TRIPLES
TOTAL BASES
SLUGGING
RBI
STOLEN BASES
2ND TO LAST IN HR'S AND DOUBLES

THEY JUST ARE NOT GOOD,YOU ARE IN A FANTASY LAND OF HOPING EVERYONE HAS A CAREER YEAR.

THEY A'S ARE HANDS DOWN WORSE THIS YEAR IN ALL ASPECTS,EXCEPT THE BULLPEN FOR NOW.

DEAL WITH IT!!!!
Here's what's wrong with your logic. You look at track records, not what's happening in the first weeks of the season. Do you honestly think that Eric Chavez, Erubiel Durazo and Jason Kendall will continue to hit like they will? That's absurd. It's one thing to hope everyone has a career year (which you're pretending that I said) and another for a player to play to their ability. When someone has been playing for a number of years, it is safe to look at their track record and see what they're going to do. Here is an example so you can understand it:

Eric Chavez (Year: Batting Average, Home Runs)
2000: .277, 26
2001: .288, 32
2002: .275, 34
2003: .282, 29
2004: .276, 29 (missed 6 weeks w/broken hand after HBP)
2005: .190, 2

Now, if you look at what he's done the first few weeks you would project that he's only going to hit about 10 home runs this year, even though he's been hitting about 30 year after year. That's stupid. It's a safe bet that he'll hit at least 30 again. He's just coming into his prime and is healthy. To think that he's going to continue hitting like he is right now is absurd.

The same goes for Jason Kendall. He is a veteran, and a career .300 hitter. He's proven that he can hit, he's done it year after year, so all of a sudden he's just going to fall off and forget how to hit? Doubtful.

These guys are safe bets. Here's an example of someone who is not a safe bet.

Adrian Beltre (Year: Batting Average, Home Runs)
1999: .275, 15
2000: .290, 20
2001: .265, 13
2002: .257, 21
2003: .240, 23
2004: .334, 48
2005: .242, 2

After hitting between 13-23 home runs a year, Beltre breaks out and hits 48 on the last year of his contract. Will he do this again? Probably not. He doesn't have the track record of doing it year after year.

It is safe to look at history to make a projection unless someone is at the tail end of their career.

The heart of Oakland's lineup has already proven that they are solid hitters, and they are in a slump right now... So they have zero production from them and are only 4 games out. If you use logic and actually think then you'll understand that they will do better.

And about Mulder, his win-loss record from last year is an illusion, he had #5 starter type numbers. Like I said before, those aren't very big shoes to fill, everyone just thinks they are because he's a big name player.

Apr 25, 2002
Lil Pino said:
nice, second straight shutout for the A's. We need to trade for Bonds and Helton or ANYBODY THAT CAN HIT!!!!!!!!
Bonds won't be hitting anything anytime soon.

A realistic trade would be with KC for Sweeney.

Apr 25, 2002
Lil Pino said:
We got too many 1st basemans and I dont think he'll help that much
Hatteberg is old, and not only is he old, he's an ex-catcher, so he's pretty worn down. He's looking like he's more suited as a backup 1B/pinch hitter now. Durazo is a horrible defensive 1B and would be better as DH.

The other problem with Helton and Bonds (even though that would never, ever happen) is that they both bat left handed. The A's already have Chavez/Durazo/Hatteberg as the heart of their order, it makes it too easy for an opposing team to send a lefty out and have a good chance of getting through that part of the order. They need a strong, right-handed presense in the lineup right there. Having someone like that in the lineup can improve the offense of those around him in the lineup. That's the problem with Dan Johnson too, he's another lefty.

Apr 25, 2002
Lil Pino said:
it doesnt matter if Helton or Bonds are lefties cuz they both can hit left-handers. Any suggestions on a right handed batter wit some pop? I'm lookin at the teams that might not go anywhere and I dont see much.
They won't go for a lefty that can hit lefties, they'll go for a righty, unless they are completely desparate. If they want to move now, they'll go for Sweeney. A deal for Sweeney could be made right now because the Royals are obviously out already. Otherwise, they'll probably have to wait until some teams start dropping out of contention.

BAMMER

Siccness Gray Hair
Apr 25, 2002
Auburn Wa
www.dawgman.com
G-Dubb said:
Here's what's wrong with your logic. You look at track records, not what's happening in the first weeks of the season. Do you honestly think that Eric Chavez, Erubiel Durazo and Jason Kendall will continue to hit like they will? That's absurd. It's one thing to hope everyone has a career year (which you're pretending that I said) and another for a player to play to their ability. When someone has been playing for a number of years, it is safe to look at their track record and see what they're going to do. Here is an example so you can understand it:

Eric Chavez (Year: Batting Average, Home Runs)
2000: .277, 26
2001: .288, 32
2002: .275, 34
2003: .282, 29
2004: .276, 29 (missed 6 weeks w/broken hand after HBP)
2005: .190, 2

Now, if you look at what he's done the first few weeks you would project that he's only going to hit about 10 home runs this year, even though he's been hitting about 30 year after year. That's stupid. It's a safe bet that he'll hit at least 30 again. He's just coming into his prime and is healthy. To think that he's going to continue hitting like he is right now is absurd.

The same goes for Jason Kendall. He is a veteran, and a career .300 hitter. He's proven that he can hit, he's done it year after year, so all of a sudden he's just going to fall off and forget how to hit? Doubtful.

These guys are safe bets. Here's an example of someone who is not a safe bet.

Adrian Beltre (Year: Batting Average, Home Runs)
1999: .275, 15
2000: .290, 20
2001: .265, 13
2002: .257, 21
2003: .240, 23
2004: .334, 48
2005: .242, 2

After hitting between 13-23 home runs a year, Beltre breaks out and hits 48 on the last year of his contract. Will he do this again? Probably not. He doesn't have the track record of doing it year after year.

It is safe to look at history to make a projection unless someone is at the tail end of their career.

The heart of Oakland's lineup has already proven that they are solid hitters, and they are in a slump right now... So they have zero production from them and are only 4 games out. If you use logic and actually think then you'll understand that they will do better.

And about Mulder, his win-loss record from last year is an illusion, he had #5 starter type numbers. Like I said before, those aren't very big shoes to fill, everyone just thinks they are because he's a big name player.
You are excited to name Durazo,Chavez,and Kendall as if they are HOF'ers.Let's be real here.Chavez is great defensively,and can hit his 30 HR'S,but his .270 average is'nt all that impressive.Durazo is useless.There are tons of minor leaguers who can hit .250,and hit 20 to 25 HR's.He only gits the RBI numbers because he's in a run producing spot in the lineup.Kendall is a 30 year old catcher,and is costing you guy nearly 11 million this season.He hit's .300,great,but he has only 12 HR's in the last 3 years combined,and a slugging % of .356 in those last 3.He is on a decline like you would expect any catcher to be.

Using the greatest single season(IN HISTORY) offensively by a 3rd baseman and expecting him to duplicate that is ridiculous.There probably is'nt a single knowledgeable baseball fan who expects Beltre to pull that off again.I think .280 25-30HR's,and 100 RBI is realistic.

Even if the 3 guys you named have their similar years,what is that gonna do?Those career numbers are'nt huge by any means.You can go through the entire leauge and find 3 guys from each team with similar or better numbers.
You saying Mulder is a #5 really gives me enough information about you to realize you are not a knowledgable baseball man,just an A's fan with a glass ALL full fantasy.Your young pitchers are decent,but THEY ARE NOT MULDER AND HUDSON.Harden can not pitch 162 games.

::::::::::::::game over:::::::::::::::::

Apr 25, 2002
BAMMER said:
You are excited to name Durazo,Chavez,and Kendall as if they are HOF'ers.Let's be real here.Chavez is great defensively,and can hit his 30 HR'S,but his .270 average is'nt all that impressive.Durazo is useless.There are tons of minor leaguers who can hit .250,and hit 20 to 25 HR's.He only gits the RBI numbers because he's in a run producing spot in the lineup.Kendall is a 30 year old catcher,and is costing you guy nearly 11 million this season.He hit's .300,great,but he has only 12 HR's in the last 3 years combined,and a slugging % of .356 in those last 3.He is on a decline like you would expect any catcher to be.

Using the greatest single season(IN HISTORY) offensively by a 3rd baseman and expecting him to duplicate that is ridiculous.There probably is'nt a single knowledgeable baseball fan who expects Beltre to pull that off again.I think .280 25-30HR's,and 100 RBI is realistic.

Even if the 3 guys you named have their similar years,what is that gonna do?Those career numbers are'nt huge by any means.You can go through the entire leauge and find 3 guys from each team with similar or better numbers.
You saying Mulder is a #5 really gives me enough information about you to realize you are not a knowledgable baseball man,just an A's fan with a glass ALL full fantasy.Your young pitchers are decent,but THEY ARE NOT MULDER AND HUDSON.Harden can not pitch 162 games.

::::::::::::::game over:::::::::::::::::
1) I did not say Durazo, Chavez or Kendall are HOF caliber players. I said they can be expected to play at a certain level.

2) I never mentioned RBI numbers, I don't care about them, they are a situational statistic and depend on where you are in the lineup and the people who are batting around you.

3) I did not say Beltre would repeat his season, I said he's an example of someone who had a career year, and is a player who is not expected to repeat his numbers from last year. I used him as an example because you are having a hard time understanding what I have written.

4) I did not say Mulder is a #5 pitcher. He looked like a #5 pitcher because he completely fell apart and had a 6+ ERA after the All Star Break. I said his win/loss record is an illusion because he got a lot of run support. No team would have kept Mulder after last year. His collapse cost the A's a chance at the division.

5) The Pirates are paying a big chunk of Kendall's salary. That deal also took two of the A's worst pitchers off their hands.

6) Every team in the AL West has enough flaws for any of them to have a chance right now.

:::You are illiterate, ignorant, or not paying attention:::

Apr 25, 2002
Fuck man, I thought the A's had this one tonight against Boston. Fuckin Millar had a walk-off 2 run homer in the bottom of the 9th...A's was leading pretty much the whole game. The A's woes continue....it's hard to watch. :ermm:

Apr 25, 2002
Mr. Chronic said:
Fuck man, I thought the A's had this one tonight against Boston. Fuckin Millar had a walk-off 2 run homer in the bottom of the 9th...A's was leading pretty much the whole game. The A's woes continue....it's hard to watch. :ermm:
Yeah... That's what happens when you throw fastball after fastball to the Red Sox!

I have no idea what the fuck Dotel was doing, or why Kendall was letting him do it... But that's all he was throwing... You're not going to get away with that shit against Boston.

Nov 14, 2002
G-Dubb said:
No I've been trying to find it... But they were 5 1/2 games back last year on May 11, that's all I know.
But they had a much better record. Only reason they were out that many games was because Anaheim got off to a super-hot start and had the best record in the AL.

Apr 25, 2002
Sicc_Wit_It said:
But they had a much better record. Only reason they were out that many games was because Anaheim got off to a super-hot start and had the best record in the AL.
Doesn't matter, all you have to worry about at the beginning of the season is staying competetive within your division. 5.5 back is 5.5 back, no matter how many games you win or lose.

Apr 25, 2002
Lil Pino said:
chemistry is underrated. I think there's a feelin out period to adjust with the new players. Everyone new Hudson and Mulder were the clubhouse leaders so its still different without them. Injuries also have plagued the A's as Crosby hasnt even played that much and Calero got elbow problems. THis is Kendall's first year in the AM league so he also needs adjusting. I'll give it another month. If they're still struggling, then it's time to panic
Last year, everyone wanted Beane's head because of the T. Long/Mark Kotsay deal. First two months, Kotsay's numbers looked like Kendall's... But we know how that ended. I don't think Kendall is going to go from a career .300 hitter and just suddenly drop off. That doesn't happen.

Also, Swisher and Crosby makes a bigger impact than you'd think... Especially Crosby... Even if he only hits 20-25 HR's he changes the way people around him get pitched to.

In another month, if they're still struggling they will have just made a move or will be a few days away from making a move.