Angels runnin' away.

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Nov 14, 2002
17-11 overall, 11-6 against the West, winning streak of 4, 2.5 games up on 2nd place Texas, and all of this with our offense being one of the worst in the AL. Seems like the "clear favorites" are starting to pull away.

May 10, 2002
ANGELS AINT NO WHERE CLOSE TO RUNNING AWAY, TEXAS AND OAKLAND HAVE HAD SLOW STARTS BUT TEXAS JUST SWEPT THE A'S SO THERE DEFINITELY DOING A LITTLE BETTER, THERES A LOT OF GAMES LEFT TO BE STATING SOME BULLSHIT LIKE THIS.

May 10, 2002
YA ITS DEFINITELY DISSAPOINTING TO SEE HOW THERE PLAYING RIGHT NOW CONSIDERING ALL THE YOUNG TALENT THEY HAVE BUT THEY WILL TURN THE SHIT AROUND SOON, I HEARD ABOUT THAT FLU BUG ALSO STILL REALLY AINT A EXCUSE FOR THE LACK OF RUN SUPPORT.

Apr 25, 2002
Sicc_Wit_It said:
17-11 overall, 11-6 against the West, winning streak of 4, 2.5 games up on 2nd place Texas, and all of this with our offense being one of the worst in the AL. Seems like the "clear favorites" are starting to pull away.
The Rangers had a 4 game lead last season and so did the A's... But you should know how that ended up.

I would not be surprised if every team in the AL West had the lead at some point over the next couple months.

Apr 25, 2002
AC Transit said:
I read the A's clubhouse was struck by the flu recently - lotta players affected by this
Chavez/Durazo/Kendall will all come around. The flu is why Kotsay was benched today, but the rest are just off to slow starts. I expect Chavez, Durazo, Kendall, Crosby and Kielty to make big contributions to the offense this year, even though they haven't done anything yet... If the A's can hang around .500 despite a slow start they're in very good shape.

Nov 14, 2002
But Oakland was a lot better last season. They'll finish the season under .500, and probably won't make it better than 1 or 2 games over the rest of the way.

As for Seattle; I thought they'd maybe give Anaheim a battle, but it looks like both Beltre and Sexson are gonna have less-than-spectacular seasons. Therefor making Seattle an under .500 team.

Apr 25, 2002
Sicc_Wit_It said:
But Oakland was a lot better last season. They'll finish the season under .500, and probably won't make it better than 1 or 2 games over the rest of the way.

As for Seattle; I thought they'd maybe give Anaheim a battle, but it looks like both Beltre and Sexson are gonna have less-than-spectacular seasons. Therefor making Seattle an under .500 team.
Oakland was not better last season.

Their bullpen is a million times better than last year, their offence is almost the same except for upgrading Miller to Kendall, Kielty got a lot better and is healthy, Scutaro learned to be patient, and Swisher was replaced by Dye (Dye wasn't doing shit anyway.) For the rotation, put Zito aside cuz Zito is Zito... But Harden is way better than he was last year, and Hudson/Mulder/Redman = Blanton/Haren/Saarloos/Meyer. Mulder was shit the entire second half of last season, and Redman couldn't pitch in Oakland.

If you think Oakland is worse than they were last year either you don't get it or you're not paying attention and just writing them off because the "Big Three" are gone.

BAMMER

Siccness Gray Hair
Apr 25, 2002
Auburn Wa
www.dawgman.com
G-Dubb said:
If you think Oakland is worse than they were last year either you don't get it or you're not paying attention and just writing them off because the "Big Three" are gone.
I believe Oakland is worse beacause they lost the BIG 2,who are having great starts.Zito has'nt seen great since like 2003.You gave up a premier righty and lefty,why should we believe they will be better?

Apr 25, 2002
714KaliHydro said:
Anaheim OWNS the AL West this season.
Then shouldn't they have done better than split the season series so far against the A's, while the A's are slumping and have the worst offense in baseball?

BAMMER said:
I believe Oakland is worse beacause they lost the BIG 2,who are having great starts.Zito has'nt seen great since like 2003.You gave up a premier righty and lefty,why should we believe they will be better?
I explained why. Like I said, either you don't get it or you're not paying attention.

Aug 20, 2004
The whole AL West SUCKS ASS.....Seattle is a second half team....Oakland looks plain FLAT(besides Harden)...Texas isnt TERRIBLE...but they are still young....so of course Anahiem is the clear favorite...but you put them in another division and theyd be a .500 ball club...

Nov 14, 2002
G-Dubb said:
Oakland was not better last season.

Their bullpen is a million times better than last year, their offence is almost the same except for upgrading Miller to Kendall, Kielty got a lot better and is healthy, Scutaro learned to be patient, and Swisher was replaced by Dye (Dye wasn't doing shit anyway.) For the rotation, put Zito aside cuz Zito is Zito... But Harden is way better than he was last year, and Hudson/Mulder/Redman = Blanton/Haren/Saarloos/Meyer. Mulder was shit the entire second half of last season, and Redman couldn't pitch in Oakland.

You point out how Oakland's pen is performing better than last season, yet concerning their offense you think they'll turn it around. How do you know their pen won't cool down? Simply put; on paper they're a worse team than they were in 2004, and yes both Hudson and Mulder are a big part of it. And so far they're both showing why with their new clubs.

Apr 25, 2002
Starting Pitchers
SP Barry Zito
SP Tim Hudson -> Joe Blanton (Obvious downgrade, but Hudson has been injured and missed time every year except for 2001. But still, Blanton is having a hell of a year so far, his ERA is in the mid 2's.)
SP Mark Mulder -> Danny Haren (Because of Mulder's mid-season meltdown in 2004, the shoes Haren has to fill aren't as big as the media plays them up to be.)
SP Rich Harden (Harden was one of the best pitchers after the All-Star break last year, and has picked up where he left off.)
SP Mark Redman -> Kirk Saarloos (Redman couldn't pitch at home, and Saarloos proved himself by filling in for Hudson while he was injured last year, covering 5 or 6 of his starts and only losing 1 game.)

Bullpen
CP Arthur Rhodes -> Octavio Dotel
RP Justin Duchscherer
RP Chad Bradford
RP Chris Hammond -> Kiko Calero
RP Jim Mecir -> Juan Cruz
RP Ricardo Rincon
RP Justin Lehr -> Huston Street

Infield
3B Eric Chavez
SS Bobby Crosby
2B Mark McLemore -> Mark Ellis
1B Scott Hatteberg
Util Marco Scutaro (Scutaro has learned patience in the off-season and is a much better hitter. 3 more walks and he'll match last year's season total.)
Util Eric Karros -> Nick Swisher
C Damian Miller -> Jason Kendall
C Adam Melhuse

Outfield
CF Mark Kotsay
LF Eric Byrnes
RF Jermaine Dye -> Nick Swisher (Dye was a bust, even though he's a rookie, I wouldn't call Swisher a major downgrade. He's also younger and is a switch hitter.)
OF Bobby Kielty (Kielty is not hurt this year and is hitting like he's capable of again.)
OF Billy McMillon -> Charles Thomas (Billy Mac hit about .180... Anybody is an upgrade.)

Really not seeing how this team got worse.

May 6, 2002
Just got back from tonights game (vs Detroit).
Great turn out. Finley's bat is really heating up. Escobar pitched a great game. I got their an inning late and missed Percival's standing ovation..I will never forgive myself for that.

May 6, 2002
He went to Detroit this year.
The Standing Ovation was before the game started.

I heard they put him on the big screen, and all he did was tip his hat...then the whole (sold-out) stadium just went nuts. Then he came out and waived his cap...and again..the stadium went nuts. K-Rod closes for us now...at least I got to see him in action.

Apr 25, 2002
714KaliHydro said:
He went to Detroit this year.
The Standing Ovation was before the game started.

I heard they put him on the big screen, and all he did was tip his hat...then the whole (sold-out) stadium just went nuts. Then he came out and waived his cap...and again..the stadium went nuts. K-Rod closes for us now...at least I got to see him in action.
Yeah I know, I just didn't know how they would have seen him if they won the game, I didn't know they'd put him on the screen or anything.

Nov 14, 2002
Damn, I would've wanted to be there for that. Percival was one of the few that went through the many ups and downs in Anaheim since '95. Hella glad he got his ring in 2002. Now Jim Edmonds is a different story.