SAN BERNARDINO, Calif. (KTLA) -- Authorities in San Bernardino are searching for the gunman who critically wounded a 22-year-old pregnant woman and shot two toddlers, killing one of them.
Dispatchers received a call at 7:40 p.m. Monday from the 1300 block of D Street, said Lt. David Harp.
Authorities said prior to the shooting a man at the home witnessed an African-American male hitting a female.
He intervened in the dispute, allowing the female to escape.
Police believe the man involved in the dispute returned and opened fire on the front porch where another woman and the two children were playing, Lt. Gwendolyn Waters of the San Bernardino Police Department said.
The gunman fled the scene on foot.
"There were more people in the house. There were more children in the house," Waters said, calling the gunman a "coward."
La-Donna Howie, 22, who is 5 months pregnant, was struck in the neck and two 3-year-old girls were shot in the head, officials said.
One girl, Nila Torres, 3, died at the scene.
Investigators say she was not related to Howie.
Howie is in critical but stable condition at Arrowhead Regional Medical Center in Colton.
Her daughter, Justine, was upgraded from critical to "good" condition, Waters said.
A heartbeat was detected on the unborn child, officials said.
Homicide detectives are investigating the shooting.
Police have not released a detailed description of the suspect.
Anyone with information in the case is asked to call San Bernardino police.
Two other men were wounded in two other shootings in the city earlier in the day, Harp said.
The first was reported about 5:50 p.m. near the intersection of Foothill Boulevard and Meridian Avenue. A pedestrian was shot in the upper body, Harp said. The unidentified man was taken to a nearby hospital and is listed in serious but stable condition.
The second shooting was reported about 6 p.m. in the 100 block of E. Olive Street. A man was driving when he was critically wounded when struck by a bullet, Harp said. A passenger in the car drove the victim to a hospital, where he was listed in grave condition.
Police don't believe that any of the three shootings had anything to do with each other.
"We see no connection at all among the three separate shootings," Harp said
Dispatchers received a call at 7:40 p.m. Monday from the 1300 block of D Street, said Lt. David Harp.
Authorities said prior to the shooting a man at the home witnessed an African-American male hitting a female.
He intervened in the dispute, allowing the female to escape.
Police believe the man involved in the dispute returned and opened fire on the front porch where another woman and the two children were playing, Lt. Gwendolyn Waters of the San Bernardino Police Department said.
The gunman fled the scene on foot.
"There were more people in the house. There were more children in the house," Waters said, calling the gunman a "coward."
La-Donna Howie, 22, who is 5 months pregnant, was struck in the neck and two 3-year-old girls were shot in the head, officials said.
One girl, Nila Torres, 3, died at the scene.
Investigators say she was not related to Howie.
Howie is in critical but stable condition at Arrowhead Regional Medical Center in Colton.
Her daughter, Justine, was upgraded from critical to "good" condition, Waters said.
A heartbeat was detected on the unborn child, officials said.
Homicide detectives are investigating the shooting.
Police have not released a detailed description of the suspect.
Anyone with information in the case is asked to call San Bernardino police.
Two other men were wounded in two other shootings in the city earlier in the day, Harp said.
The first was reported about 5:50 p.m. near the intersection of Foothill Boulevard and Meridian Avenue. A pedestrian was shot in the upper body, Harp said. The unidentified man was taken to a nearby hospital and is listed in serious but stable condition.
The second shooting was reported about 6 p.m. in the 100 block of E. Olive Street. A man was driving when he was critically wounded when struck by a bullet, Harp said. A passenger in the car drove the victim to a hospital, where he was listed in grave condition.
Police don't believe that any of the three shootings had anything to do with each other.
"We see no connection at all among the three separate shootings," Harp said