**2nd Annual Official '09 SF GIants reg. season Thread**

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jan 18, 2006
I think the Giants could use whatever shit the A's are on cuz ones playing there best baseball of the year and the other is playing damn near there worst.

Feb 12, 2004
Freddy Sanchez won’t play again this season and he isn’t sure what uniform he’ll wear next.

Sanchez somewhat reluctantly reiterated what he told me Sunday in Arizona — that Giants doctors detected torn cartilage in his left knee while examining him prior to the July 29 trade that brought him from the Pittsburgh Pirates. Again, Sanchez knew prior to the trade that he would need arthroscopic surgery after the season.

He initially hurt the knee in Arizona, where the Pirates played before traveling to San Francisco for that midweek series July 27-29. Coincidentally, he aggravated it in Arizona again last week, tweaking the knee while receiving a throw from center field. An MRI exam showed additional tearing.

Now with the team essentially out of the playoff picture, Sanchez is shutting it down. He had several cortisone shots in the knee in an effort to stay on the field over the past two months, but he won’t have another. Surgery will take place soon, likely early next week.

This really couldn’t have turned out worse for the Giants, who aren’t likely to pick up Sanchez’s $8.1 million option. I expect they will make an effort to re-sign him to a two-year deal, though. They still like him and they want to show something for trading pitching prospect Tim Alderson.

Does Sanchez want to come back? He didn’t give an enthusiastic thumbs-up when asked the question, saying he’s confident to hit the free-agent market. He made it pretty clear he doesn’t foresee going back to Pittsburgh, though.
good job sabean.

prodigy91

@jordvnxsf
Mar 20, 2008
SF
I know that, just saying that downs is a better option than frandsen for now. It's not like it matters now though our playoff hopes are over and our genaral manager is doing a fantastic job.

Rich

Sicc OG
Jul 22, 2003
wow i didnt know freddy could hit free agency after the season is over. Nice Sabean. And look at rajai davis now, he showed some bright spots in the little time he was in the majors with the Giants.

DUTCH-F.E

Super Moderator
Apr 25, 2002
WWW.myspace.com
we retain his option, and the power to re negotiate..... freddy sanchez will get a 2-3 year deal from the giants. we will not pay him the 8 million on his option. he will get 2 yr 10 or 3 12 million deal from us.

my question is how do the giants who signed jaun uribe to a minor league deal for veterans minimum of 1 million, go in to renegotiate? edgar rentaria just hit .230 or some shit and played an average ss. uribe was our best utility player and out played rentaria all year basically. uribe deserves a real pay check. rentaria deserves to be cut.

Feb 12, 2004
Uribe powers victory, says he'd love to be back

There exists a player who sounds as though he wants to be a Giant next year. This year, he is hitting .299 in 378 at-bats. Project his numbers over 500 at-bats and he would have 20 homers and 70 RBIs.

His OPS as an everyday player since Aug. 1 is 1.011. To put that in context, the only National Leaguers over 1.000 for the entire season are Albert Pujols and Prince Fielder. He is a favorite among fans and teammates.

Should the Giants sign this 30-year-old as an everyday player for 2010? He is easy to find, inside their clubhouse taking everyone else's meal money in dominoes.

The free-agent-to-be is Juan Uribe, who went 2-for-5 with his 53rd RBI in a 5-1 Giants victory Sunday that averted what would have been the Cubs' first four-game sweep in San Francisco.

Matt Cain pitched eight shutout innings for his 14th win in his first start after winning the Willie Mac Award as the most inspirational Giant.

In an interview with The Chronicle on Sunday, Uribe did not say the Giants are his absolute first choice for 2010 but did say he likes it here.

"I'm very happy the way the fans have treated me, all of us, the players, the organization," Uribe said in Spanish as Giants broadcaster Erwin Higueros translated. "I would love to be back. At the same time, wanting to come back is not necessarily my choice. Sometimes you want to stay and they don't want you."

That should not be an issue.

General manager Brian Sabean is reluctant to discuss any offseason moves because of his own contract status but said the organization likes Uribe. More important, Sabean believes Uribe's production would translate well over 500 at-bats.

"I think so," Sabean said. "I don't think there's any question with him now.

"Coming to us, in essence, he was an everyday player the second half of the season with the White Sox when (third baseman Joe) Crede went down. We all know his history with the White Sox. It seems like the National League is the right fit for him."

Dollar for dollar, the Giants have gotten more out of Uribe for his $1.2 million than any position player other than Pablo Sandoval. With the numbers Uribe has posted this season he can expect a nice payday. Beyond that, he should have a choice of teams that want him as a regular, not a role player.

The Giants could install Uribe as their everyday third baseman, shifting him to shortstop when Edgar Renteria gets a day off, and move Pablo Sandoval to first. Or, if Freddy Sanchez does not return, Uribe could play second base.

Asked if he wants to be an everyday player in 2010, Uribe said, "First of all, the answer is yes. I can do it. I know I can do it. But at the same time, I have always kept one thing in my mind, to be disciplined and always be there when you're needed. Be there when your manager needs you to do something or the coaches."

The fans would like to see Uribe return, at least those who have taken up the "ooo-REE-bay" chants that serenaded his uncle Jose two decades ago.

"I want to thank the fans first of all for supporting me," Uribe said. "When I go out there to battle, when I get on the field, I do hear the chant. It motivates me and makes me give 100 percent every single time I play the game."

Uribe had two of the Giants' 14 hits as they scored five runs against Randy Wells after totaling four in the first three games of the series.

That was plenty for Cain, who said he was more relaxed than he had been in shutting down the Cubs and had all four pitches working.

In the words of catcher Eli Whiteside, "He went out and he was Matt Cain today."

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/09/27/SPH919TKRP.DTL#ixzz0SMgn9WOx

Feb 12, 2004
Sanchez ready to test free-agent market after surgery

By Andrew Baggarly

[email protected]
Posted: 09/26/2009 06:58:02 PM PDT
Updated: 09/27/2009 03:41:45 AM PDT

Sanchez: no fears about free agency after surgery

Freddy Sanchez is shutting down his season after 25 games as a Giant, and despite prepping for left knee surgery next week, he said he has no reservations about testing free agency.

"If they approached us, of course, we'd listen," said Sanchez, who stammered initially when asked if he wants to be a Giant next year. "(But) I'm confident going into the free-agent market. Obviously, this is not how you want to end the year. If they decide they don't want me here, I'll be confident I'll be 100 percent going into someone's spring training."

The Giants must decide within 10 days of the World Series clincher whether to exercise an $8.1 million option or give Sanchez a $600,000 buyout. There is a third possibility: ripping up the contract and agreeing to a new deal — perhaps two years at a lower annual number.

Brian Sabaean has said he acquired Sanchez from the Pirates on July 29 as a long-term piece, and assuming the GM is retained following the season, it's likely that an effort will be made to re-sign the former All-Star second baseman.

Sanchez somewhat reluctantly reiterated that he knew before the trade that he'd require offseason knee surgery. Giants doctors discovered torn cartilage during an exam on his sore knee, but signed off on the deal anyway.

The Giants gave up pitching prospect Tim Alderson and took on the remainder of Sanchez's salary — roughly $2.5 million.

Sanchez said he understands if Giants fans are infuriated by the deal, or view him as damaged goods.

"But I can't let that stuff get to me," said Sanchez. "It didn't turn out the way everyone planned, but I can only go forward."

Sanchez said he anticipates starting his rehab work a day after the surgery.

# The Giants unveiled a plaque commemorating Jonathan Sanchez's no-hitter on the portwalk beyond the right field arcade.

# Center fielder Aaron Rowand was a late scratch because of a sore back.

# The Giants took Dan Runzler off their Arizona Fall League roster because of his heavy workload as a September call-up. Right-hander Dan Turpen will go instead.