2013 Oakland A's Thread...

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

DubbC415

Mickey Fallon
Sep 10, 2002
Tomato Alley
eeee yeah not lookin good. (about pomeranz's home/road splits)

a's traded jerry blevins to the nationals for OF billy burns. i like this. burns was the nationals minor league player of the year

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2006
every year i say to myself i feel sorry for the a's getting rid of their young talent but some how recently the a's not only survive but thrive

DubbC415

Mickey Fallon
Sep 10, 2002
Tomato Alley
Yeah I'll miss Blevins because he was a good clubhouse guy and was hella smart and gave good interviews. he was the longest tenured A after Daric Barton. but they have cheaper left handed bullpen options and I think the Burns kid should be good.

Athletics sent LHP Andrew Werner outright to Triple-A Sacramento.
Werner was designated for assignment by the A's last week to clear a roster spot for new starting pitcher Scott Kazmir. Werner had a 5.78 ERA this summer at Triple-A.

Orioles acquired C David Freitas as the player to be named later in the Jim Johnson trade.
Freitas, a 15th-round pick in 2010, batted .231/.306/.368 with 10 home runs and 30 RBI in 90 games this past season between Double-A Midland and Triple-A Sacramento. The 24-year-old is far from a top prospect.

DubbC415

Mickey Fallon
Sep 10, 2002
Tomato Alley
There isn't much info.

Only a routine physical exam stood between them and an official deal.

However, executive vice president Dan Duquette stated that Balfour's performance on the exam didn't meet Baltimore's standards, according to Kubatko:

"The Orioles were disappointed that we couldn't complete a contract with Grant Balfour," Duquette said. "The reason is the club's not satisfied with the results of the physical exam.

"We would never say never or close the door, but we're turning our attention elsewhere for now to look at some other options to try to staff our team and try to build a contending team for 2014."

Per Kubatko, Duquette wants "to protect confidentiality," so we don't know which of Balfour's bodily regions is damaged, nor can we infer what the severity of the injury is.

from susan slusser:

Grant Balfour is mystified by #Orioles backing out of deal because of health concerns, tells me he is "100 percent fine."

More Balfour: "My shoulder is fine, everything is fine. I'm ready to come out there in the ninth inning, do what I do."

also, i thought this was interesting. this is from 2012.

The Oakland Athletics used him on five consecutive days from Sept. 29 to Oct. 3 in order to ensure an AL West title. In each of those last four appearances, he completed a full inning on zero days' rest. That's a streak matched by only 10 pitchers so far this millennium!

DubbC415

Mickey Fallon
Sep 10, 2002
Tomato Alley
The A's closed in on getting all their arbitration-eligible cases off their books Friday by agreeing to terms with four of the five players remaining on that list.

In the fold are right-handed reliever Luke Gregerson, shortstop Jed Lowrie, first baseman Brandon Moss and outfielder Craig Gentry. The only arbitration-eligible player still for Oakland is right fielder Josh Reddick.

Lowrie was signed for $5.25 million, Gregerson for $5.065 million, Gentry for $1.145 million and Moss for $4.1 million.

Those signings come a day after the club signed catcher John Jaso to a $2.3 million deal and closer Jim Johnson to a $10 million contract

DubbC415

Mickey Fallon
Sep 10, 2002
Tomato Alley
John Hickey of the Oakland Tribune reports that the Athletics and Josh Reddick are expected to reach a deal on Saturday near the midpoint of the arbitration figures the two sides exchanged.
Reddick requested $3.25 million and was offered $2 million from the A's when numbers were exchanged on Friday. Look for the two sides to meet right around the midpoint of $2.625 million and avoid having to go to arbitration.

REACHTMO

panty vandalizer
Aug 7, 2011
im not too keen on john jaso stickin around. I mean, he really really really played it safe not coming back for months to even play in the playoffs for a concussion... we could have used him a lot in the playoffs.

I mean, I dont like that norris cant throw anyone out (jaso cant either). But im washy about giving jaso any money to play a quarter of a season.

REACHTMO

panty vandalizer
Aug 7, 2011
meh. he draws a lot of walks, and he has the ability to get hits in clutch situations I guess...4

heard we signed coco for a 2 year extension at $22 mil. sweet.