2013 Oakland A's Thread...

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

DubbC415

Mickey Fallon
Sep 10, 2002
Tomato Alley
WOW this may be the biggest surprise yet. guess they didnt think shit of Michael Choice.

they traded Choice and minor league infielder Chris Bostick to the Rangers for OF Chris Gentry and pitcher Josh Lindblom. Bostick was originally drafted by the A's in 2011. Gentry doesnt have a lot of power but seems to be able hit, get on base, and steal bases. also played CF and LF.

they also tendered contracts to all 9 0f their arbitration-eligible players. Fernando Rodriguez, Barton, Moss, Lowrie, Reddick, Seth Smith, Jaso, Blevins, and Jesse Chavez.

your guys thoughts on the trade? i though Choice still had some potential but i guess the window had closed for him

also

ESPN's Buster Olney reports that the Mariners and Indians are among the teams interested in trading for Athletics left-hander Brett Anderson.
The Athletics agreed to a deal with free agent Scott Kazmir on Monday, which makes the possibility of a trade more likely. Injuries have limited Anderson to just 11 starts over the past two seasons, but he's just 25 years old and has shown plenty of potential in the past. Someone will surely take a chance on him. He's under contract for $8 million in 2014.

Last edited:

DubbC415

Mickey Fallon
Sep 10, 2002
Tomato Alley
wow and the wheeling and dealing continues....

seth smith to padres for reliever Luke Gregorson. his stats are pretty good, should be a good setup man...wondering what role Ryan Cook will have. and i really like sean doolittle but i dont think he should have been the closer.

also

According to Jeff Passan of Yahoo! Sports, the Yankees are interested in A's lefty Brett Anderson.
They can join the Blue Jays, Indians, Twins and Mariners in that hunt. Oakland is expected to begin shopping Anderson heavily at next week's Winter Meetings in Orlando, Florida.

Last edited:

DubbC415

Mickey Fallon
Sep 10, 2002
Tomato Alley
I can't stand social media. People are so fucking dumb. "We need a big bat." Coco, Donaldson, Lowrie, Cespedes, Moss, didnt have "big bat" numbers last year? every year these "fans" come out of the woodwork to say they want a Prince Fielder type player. Do u even know what team you're following? The A's dont go after players like that, because it requires giving up players the A's don't want to/shouldnt give up, or signing some ridiculous contract that they also would never do. You have the best GM in baseball who continues to stack talent while unloading expendable players and putting together a highly competitive team year after year, and you still don't trust the guy? What the fuck more do you want? Fuck outta here with your armchair GM bullshit.

REACHTMO

panty vandalizer
Aug 7, 2011
I like all those moves except for the michael choice to texas. I dont think they gave him a good enough chance to show if he could earn a starting position wether it was this year or next year.

must have been something I didnt see for that kind of trade. gentry can swing the bat pretty well though.

the next thing I see happening is the dealing of chris young. Gentry coming in and smith leaving still doesnt make him not expendable. a's wont need another OF if brandon moss doesnt start every game at first.

I dont think melvin wants to get rid of chris young thogh so maybe im wrong. Only time I like cy in the line up is when we play Huston.

Im already ready for baseball to start again.

REACHTMO

panty vandalizer
Aug 7, 2011
then that makes all the more sense, and makes the move for gentry even better.

A's aint worried about their outfield. Its gonna be really interesting to see how the platooning is gonna work this year. coco/cespedes a dh when gentry playing center and vice versa?

I bet we see cespedes as dh a lot this year, which is something we really dont want to happen. I want him to get the start in left or center every possible game.

It is only december, and for all we know gentry, reddick, moss, could all be on different teams come spring training...

REACHTMO

panty vandalizer
Aug 7, 2011
I can't stand social media. People are so fucking dumb. "We need a big bat." Coco, Donaldson, Lowrie, Cespedes, Moss, didnt have "big bat" numbers last year? every year these "fans" come out of the woodwork to say they want a Prince Fielder type player. Do u even know what team you're following? The A's dont go after players like that, because it requires giving up players the A's don't want to/shouldnt give up, or signing some ridiculous contract that they also would never do. You have the best GM in baseball who continues to stack talent while unloading expendable players and putting together a highly competitive team year after year, and you still don't trust the guy? What the fuck more do you want? Fuck outta here with your armchair GM bullshit.
Bitches love the long ball.

one of the reasons I think were so successful is none of our guys get to stale if every time the throwing arm of the starter they face changes they get in and out of the line up. the games some players get to play that they wouldnt have gotten to play if we have that "superstar" power bat in the dh slot day in and day out, benefits the team a lot

DubbC415

Mickey Fallon
Sep 10, 2002
Tomato Alley
gentry can also play any OF position. Reddick, Coco (except for his arm) and Cespedes are all defensive studs. Cespedes will probably get the majority of DH at-bats, but they'll rotate obviously

REACHTMO

panty vandalizer
Aug 7, 2011
I dont think he'll be gone in the offseason. They already said he wont get the start against lefties, so if he doesnt produce against righties, theyll shop him for prospects.

Cut-Throat

Bob Pimp MOBBEN!!!
Apr 25, 2002
I dont think he'll be gone in the offseason. They already said he wont get the start against lefties, so if he doesnt produce against righties, theyll shop him for prospects.
Right now his only value is glove/arm. If they plan on platooning him, its time to let him go. I don't wanna see it unless it sets up a nelson Cruz signing which is.unlikely now, or a beast 1 bagger and move moss to right.

DubbC415

Mickey Fallon
Sep 10, 2002
Tomato Alley
^^^I would take that trade all day. If billy butler wasn't a true DH i'd take him too. Morneau just signed a deal with the Rockies, but 2 years, $13 mil isnt that bad and the A's could have afforded that.

also ummm what

According to FOX Sports' Ken Rosenthal, the A's and Diamondbacks discussed a Yoenis Cespedes trade.
The return package for Oakland would have included pitcher Tyler Skaggs and outfielder A.J. Pollock, but the two sides couldn't agree to the other elements of the deal and it has now been called off. Arizona is clearly searching for a power bat this offseason. The A's have loaded up in recent days and seem unlikely to move any high-impact parts.

Last edited: