WWE says Brutus the Barber Beefcake can't use the name "Beefcake"

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Nov 10, 2006
WWE, wants Edward Leslie (that's BBB's real name) to quit using one of the most recognizable handles in all of wrestling history in his new job as a coach on Hulk Hogan's Celebrity Championship Wrestling. They claim they own the trademark and note that Brutus quit using the name when he went on WCW a few years back.

Brutus says the cease-and-desist is rubbish: His lawyers claim he's been using the name since 2000 without a peep from the WWE, so why all the noise now? Could it have something to do with the fact he's using it on Hulk's show?
Tmz provided the footwork on this one, and here is a link to view the official document on the matter

http://www.aolcdn.com/tmz_documents/1120_hogans2_wm.pdf

Dec 4, 2004
ERIC BISCHOFF FIRES BACK AT WWE'S LEGAL LETTER TOWARDS BRUTUS BEEFCAKE, ALLEGES WWE TRIED TO BULLY THOSE INVOLVED WITH PROJECT (BUT ADMITS HE DOESN'T BLAME THEM)
by Mike Johnson @ 1:19 AM on 11/24/2008

Eric Bischoff, one of the creators and top producers for Hulk Hogan's Celebrity Championship Wrestling posted a public response to the reports of World Wrestling Entertainment sending a legal letter to Ed Leslie over his use of the Brutus Beefcake name on the CMT reality series on his official website at www.ericbischoff.com:

So, “Big Bad Billionaire” Vince and his high power lawyer wants BHE TV LLC to cease and desist from using “Brutus The Barber Beefcake” within our show “Hulk Hogan’s Celebrity Championship Wrestling” on CMT (for the story go to: http://www.tmz.com/2008/11/23/wwe-wants-to-shave-beefcake-off-brutus/

I won’t go in to the legal aspects of the case, but suffice to say that we received the letter from Vince’s lawyer in early November and responded accordingly (and continue to use Brutus The Barber Beefcake).

Prior to receiving the letter, I got a call from Brian Knobs who informed me that Vince’s surrogate Johnny Ace called Brian, who hasn’t worked for WWE in a decade, and threatened him not to go near any WWE talent or events as no one who is associated with CCW will ever work for WWE again. Then I found out that Jimmy Hart, one of the hardest working and loyal people I have ever met, was told he was no longer going to be used for WWE promotions because of his association with CCW, even though he asked for and received permission to do our show! As we subsequently learned, Vince went ballistic after viewing an episode of CCW and ordered Johnny to make the calls.

The truth is, I don’t blame Vince for going ballistic.

If I were Vince, I wouldn’t want 5+ million wrestling fans watching a fresh concept and entertaining product either. Especially with the product he is currently producing. And based on the response we have been getting to this weeks Hard Core episode with special guest Bill Goldberg, Vince may be blowing gaskets as I type (if you missed it check your schedules for replays of this weeks CCW on CMT)

According to Brian, Johnny told him that Vince was furious that CCW “exposed” the business. If that statement weren’t so transparent it would almost be funny. Even the most die-hard WWE loyalist knows that Vince has exposed the business more than anyone in history whenever it suits his financial self-interest (see avoiding regulation and taxation by athletic commissions) or lame creative decisions (Hornswoggle).

For Vince McMahon to attempt to bully and intimidate Brian Knobs, Jimmy Hart, or Brutus is pathetic. These men have every right to pay their bills and feed their families. Vince McMahon didn’t invent the wrestling business, he has just exploited it more than anyone in history and I respect him for that. But that doesn’t mean the wrestling industry is his own personal domain. His recent actions are simply his way of trying to maintain his monopoly like grip on the business and is reacting to what he thinks is a threat.

For all of you fans who have been supporting CCW, I want to thank you. The emails and suggestions for what you would like to see in season 2 are much appreciated. If you would like to share your thoughts on CCW with other fans go to the message board at: http://www.cmtpress.com/programs/details.cfm?ProgramID=1000064

And from Hulk, Jason, me and all the team at CCW we wish you a Happy Thanksgiving!

Note from Mike: While not really a major issue, Brian Knobs did a WWE tryout in November 2007 in a Florida dark match teaming with Nasty Boys partner Jerry Sags. Buck Woodward and I will discuss the latest episode of CCW as well as the developing legal claims by WWE in our regular audio discussion of the CMT series.

Nov 10, 2006
WWE is extra upset since Beefcake was interviewed for their magazine this month; WWE's policy for years was to never acknowledge the existence of former stars---except back when WCW was winning in the ratings