Wrestling Random Thought 2

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 24, 2002
lol i guess Swaggers push is dead

NoDQ.com > WWE > Breaking News: Jack Swagger Arrested
Posted by Steve Carrier on 02/20/2013 at 04:08 PM

- TMZ is reporting the following:

WWE star Jack Swagger was arrested last night in Mississippi, TMZ has learned -- after allegedly driving under the influence ... with pot in his car.

Sources close to the situation tell TMZ, Swagger -- real name Jacob Hager -- was leaving a "Smackdown" taping at Mississippi Coast Coliseum in Biloxi when he was pulled over for speeding.

According to law enforcement, the officer who pulled him over determined Swagger was driving under the influence -- and a search revealed Swagger was in possession of marijuana.

We're told Swagger -- a former WWE World Heavyweight champ -- was taken in by local sheriff's deputies ... and later released on his own recognizance.

We reached out to WWE, who tells TMZ, "Mr. Swagger is responsible for his own personal actions."

Story developing ...

Props: J-FUNKTION
Jun 6, 2008
San Jose, Ca
Punk called it, Triple H did it

By
Mark Madden

When C.M. Punk went on hiatus with the WWE belt in 2011, he said he wanted to affect change.

WWE has changed. Ironically, the man who seems to have implemented it is Punk’s storyline oppressor at that time, Triple H.

WWE has quietly become a very solid WRESTLING PROMOTION. Wins and championships mean something. There’s still way too much “general manager” nonsense that tries to cover for legit booking. But, more and more, WWE storylines are traditional. Stories told in-ring are traditional.

There’s less sports entertainment, but more actual entertainment.

Punk deserves a share of the credit. His 434-day WWE title reign (and especially the way he sold it) got the focus of the promotion back on center.

But as Triple H gains more control and influence, WWE is simply LESS STUPID.

There’s a right way and wrong way to do fake wrestling. Triple H knows the right way and, unlike his father-in-law, is satisfied with administrating a good WRESTLING COMPANY. Trips is content to go back to the future.

Vince McMahon has always harbored a secret shame about what he does. That’s why he’s always sidetracked himself with things like movies, the WBF, the XFL and involving celebrities (some apropos, some not) with WWE.

Triple H’s priorities don’t go further than WRESTLING. I’m not saying he’s Sam Muchnick, but he sees the value and potential in DOING WRESTLING WELL.

Right now, WWE is.

There’s still stuff on every Raw that ABSOLUTELY SUCKS. That’s going to happen on a three-hour show. Totally unavoidable. The show’s too long.

But generally, WWE provides a good, episodic product. Too many part-time stars, yeah, but WWE is finally getting over new guys. Exhibit A: The Shield. (BTW, if Ryback is fading, that’s on him. Too one-dimensional. Just a catch phrase.)

No one likes to hate more than I do. Just my nature. But I’m greatly enjoying the build to WrestleMania.

Can WWE maintain its momentum coming out of ‘Mania? That’s the big question. Will they go all the way with Ambrose, Reigns and Rollins? That’s another big question. Will they get sabotaged backstage? It has happened before.

Feb 17, 2009
www.twitter.com
Fledgling wrestlers can be salvaged. Mark Henry is one of the most believable characters in World Wrestling Entertainment, but injuries and bad gimmicks (Sexual Chocolate, anyone?) threatened to derail his career long before he reached this point. Jack Swagger was a forgotten commodity six months ago, off television two months ago, and now is on the doorstep of a World Heavyweight Championship. Reinventions happen.

Dolph Ziggler and Ryback will most likely be similarly salvaged someday, too. Ziggler is far too talented and Ryback's character and skill set is far too unique to WWE's current environment for them to be stuck in the holding pattern they're simultaneously enduring. At the most important time of the year, WrestleMania season, Ziggler and Ryback appear to have no direction, and the eventual resurrection of their careers doesn't make their recent journeys on the road to nowhere any less frustrating.

Talent being held back is nothing new in professional wrestling, of course. Fans often see more ability and potential in performers than bookers do, and the result is undervalued stars such as Kofi Kingston or Wade Barrett languishing in the middle of the card, rarely rising above secondary championships and second-tier feuds.

Ziggler and Ryback don't fall into that category. They're currently undervalued but they're not stalled, they're going backward. Both were once at the top of the card and poised to break through, possibly as the biggest starts in the company if their respective pushes were managed carefully and correctly. They weren't, though - WWE booked itself into a corner with Ziggler's Money in the Bank Briefcase and through Ryback's ill-timed ascension up the card.

Vince McMahon wasn't the only one who needed crutches to get to the ring on Raw last Monday. Ziggler's crutches were in the form of his MITB briefcase and the stars added to his act, A.J. and Big E Langston, who are supposed to enhance Ziggler's act but only detract from it because he can't win even with their help.

WWE was correct in assuming that fans could looked beyond a Ziggler losing streak to a championship reign once he cashes in MITB, but that is becoming more and more difficult to do. The law of diminishing returns kicked in long ago, and now instead of wondering when Ziggler will cash in, fans are counting down the days until his championship opportunity expires.

Ziggler's ability to make opponents look good and his propensity for losing will make his eventual championship reign more exciting, but that doesn't mean it will do good business. It's fun to root against villains, but not weak ones. The best way to get fans to root against you is to dominate.

We want to see who can beat Mike Tyson, not who can beat Buster Douglas. We want to see who can knock off the New York Yankees, not who can topple the Milwaukee Brewers. We especially want more for Ziggler. His blonde hair and his selling ability and his confident persona remind many of Curt Hennig, but if Ziggler's peak is Mr. Perfect, he has already reached it. It would be upsetting if no upward mobility remained with Ziggler's character, if there was no more momentum for him to achieve.

It's odd that Ryback has no momentum, because he had a similar problem just before WWE opted to vault him into the title picture, when he was squashing nobodies and WWE jobbers. His series of matches involving John Cena and C.M. Punk certainly helped Ryback's positioning, but his constant losses did nothing for his credibility.

WWE was backed into a corner - it had to push him, but it was a lose-lose proposition. Making him champion would disrupt WWE's Royal Rumble and WrestleMania plans, but booking him to lose would damage his character and stifle his popularity. Which it did. Now Ryback is just a guy who wrestles in the first hour of Raw who is forgotten by the end of the show.

Unfortunately, there are probably only two believable spots on the card for Ryback's character, and WWE has used them both. He can be a monster who destroys minor stars or he can be a credible opponent to enhance the championship reigns and pushes of performers who need an impressive victory. He's too limited to be a long-term champion or to threaten Cena's spot as WWE's top babyface.

If only Ziggler and Ryback could wrestle every week, as their match on Raw made both performers look good. Of course, Ziggler looks good every week, and Ryback benefited from Ziggler's athletic bumps. Their match gave fans a glimpse of what they both could be. Ziggler and Ryback will eventually be salvaged and we'll look back incredulously on this time in their careers. But, especially in the case of Ziggler, we've waited long enough.

Feb 12, 2012
^Im with you on Drew and Gabriel especially McIntyre who should of gotten a major push after the storyline where he had Teddy Long on his knees beggin for mercy. That was an excellent heel promo/match but after that WWE did nothing but bury him. Gabriel was prime for a push after his excellent match with Cena on RAW during the NEXUS days but again WWE didnt capitalize. Just like they didnt capitalize on guys like Carlito, Benjamin, and MVP before that.

May 24, 2002
"I wore this happy coat like it was a karate gi. It was actually what japanesse wear when they get out of the bathtub, so they must have thought I was an idiot. I tied a black belt around it, and I had electric tape that I put around my ankles for some reason. For whatever reason, I thought I was getting support out of that. So they would kick the shit out of me. Kawada would make it a point of not reacting to when I was kicking him, and then he would kick the shit out of me and at first I really took offense to it, then it really fired me up. Made me want to give back, then I realized, thats what he wanted, thats what the match needed. Out of respect to him, you had to lay it in to him, or he can’t react to it. He was at that level. That really helped me step up my game. It was years later, that I was stepping my game up too much for most americans. "

-RVD

The reality was Kawada hated Americans. The only person he ever showed any respect to was Stan Hansen.

Kawada hates RVD

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2008
San Jose, Ca
Wrestling Observer Newsletter is reporting

WrestleMania 29 earning more revenue than last year is very likely.

The price for standard definition viewing of the pay-per-view has increased $5 for this year making it $59.95 and the price of HD has gone up to $69.95 to purchase WrestleMania 29.

Based on annual trends of repeat viewership numbers and people continuing to move to HD, there's a projection of an extra $900,000 profit for WrestleMania 29 at the minimum.

Jun 6, 2008
San Jose, Ca
The Wrestling Observer Newsletter is reporting Triple H is making another change to how the future will be for WWE.

He is starting to do away with word for word scripts and teach the developmental talents how to work with bullet points. This allows each talent to learn how to speak as their character and rely more on their own creative ability versus just reading what someone else wrote for them.

This is how WWE use to be with the characters, having more range, and Triple H is expected to continue to bring more old school elements back to the company.