Would Turf Talk be so dope if he didn't 2-track his voice?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 12, 2002
dope.st
I'm glad I posted this thread... yes there's a bunch of cats who do this, but truth to tell, a lot of mainstream rappers don't flip it like this. I'm not even about to say its a Bay Area thing because it ain't like that, but this is something a lot of cats do out the Bay do, so it's worth speaking on.

And on Turf Talk, I made this thread because to me it's a big part of his music flipping multiple vocals on the same beat, and as a style that shit intrigues me because I felt like without realising, I was feeling it a lot cuz of that.

I think Turf is dope, but when y'all spit one of his lines in your head from time to time from memory, how often when you really think about it, is that something dude actually said a couple of times over on the same beat.

That ain't no bad thing, I'm just curious how much effect it had on how cats was feeling and percieved his flow to have heard it like that. I know others did it, but with Turf it's track to track how he does his shit, it's real pronounced.

FDS

RIP DUKE BROTHERS
Jan 29, 2006
yeah i agree, hella rappers do it, u shouldnt just single out turf, i think u should have just said rappers period.

Stylo

Sicc OG
May 31, 2006
all rappers double triple or even quadruple their vocals in addition to their adlibs...

its the engineers job to ensure that the final mix leaves the artist voice sounding full and complete and blend the tracks well enough to giver the illusion of it being one vocal track.

you be surprised at how many people double and triple their voice.. if the engineer is that good, you wont even be able to notice it

Bam

Sicc OG
Aug 17, 2006
when artsit dub thier voice they dont do it in opposite tones like turf talk...it gets annoying sometimes

Aug 25, 2005
only a few songs i know of that AREN'T multi-tracked on the verses, and they sound empty...the multi-tracking is what makes shit more appealing.

Some of the adlibs and doubles can make it that much tighter or that much funnier when they're using a humorous punchline...

remember, this is MUSIC and SONGMAKING...I don't see why people get so caught up in hip-hop being "freestyle" and on the spot...2pac doubled the SHIT out of his vocals, you can hear him int he background of his verses saying shit he aint even saying on the verse just to add that depth.