Wiz Khalifa’s Song ‘Huey Newton’ Sparks Controversy

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Aug 19, 2004
It's simple, and I've said it a couple of times, Wiz has no "conscious" songs, Outkast has quite a few. So when most people hear Rosa Parks who are familiar with Outkast they feel that was a mistake not to be lambasted, plus rosa parks isn't a metaphor for any negative shit.
Yeah, but how many people exactly are taking in their conscious songs? How many people just hear the song on the radio or in the club? And in regards to the negative shit, do you also feel the same way when rappers make songs about drug use or promoting it?

Wiz on the other hand, well if all you talk about is weed, how much money you got, the killaz you got on board, then make a song fuckin off a leaders name...Well you don't have any leverage. Nas has some goosd shit but he confused.
I'm not that familiar with Outkast, I only have one of their albums, but I agree, from the few songs I remember, they sound much more positive and unique then most.

However, most rappers from 2pac, to Biggie, Lynch, X-Raided, Diplomats, Jay-Z, they sound to me, to promote the worst character aspects a person can have.

Is Wiz that bad? I mean weed, how much money you got, killaz on board...is that okay until Huey gets mentioned? I bring this up because you post on the Siccness like the rest of us, and I'm assuming you're a fan of Lynch and them. Are you still a fan, or do you feel the same way about their negativity as you do Wiz'?

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
Whatever... But as they say on my block... We'll let you tell it...
It's the truth. I'd even go as far as to say the average rap fan is functionally illiterate.

But I agree with you about pigeon holing and placing limits on creativity. One mans junk is another mans art. You ever tried going into a recording studio to mix while some idiot in the background is talking about how rap music isn't real music or art?

It's not fun.

Feb 7, 2006
Yeah, but how many people exactly are taking in their conscious songs? How many people just hear the song on the radio or in the club? And in regards to the negative shit, do you also feel the same way when rappers make songs about drug use or promoting it?

I'm not that familiar with Outkast, I only have one of their albums, but I agree, from the few songs I remember, they sound much more positive and unique then most.

However, most rappers from 2pac, to Biggie, Lynch, X-Raided, Diplomats, Jay-Z, they sound to me, to promote the worst character aspects a person can have.

Is Wiz that bad? I mean weed, how much money you got, killaz on board...is that okay until Huey gets mentioned? I bring this up because you post on the Siccness like the rest of us, and I'm assuming you're a fan of Lynch and them. Are you still a fan, or do you feel the same way about their negativity as you do Wiz'?
As I got older and see mufuckas actin out and treating these rappers and their lyrics like god or words from a mentor, shit has changed to me... I don't listen to rap as much as I used to but I grew up with it and will always have some affinity for the music -what it was, and what it can do. At the same time it is art. I can overlook someone talking about baby guts and nuts in every song, or someone who legitimately was Bi-polar and had niggas at his neck if at one moment he feels "fuck niggas, I gotta ride," and then the other moment he feels about women's rights. But dudes who just rap about foolishness all day long then tarnish leaders names in their songs by relating their acts or "movements" with the leaders, I personally don't like that. Because it's willful ignorance and that ignorance is dirtying something positive/potentially positive to a person not in the know. Doesn't mean I hate the artist but that particular action pisses me off.

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
As I got older and see mufuckas actin out and treating these rappers and their lyrics like god or words from a mentor, shit has changed to me... I don't listen to rap as much as I used to but I grew up with it and will always have some affinity for the music -what it was, and what it can do. At the same time it is art. I can overlook someone talking about baby guts and nuts in every song, or someone who legitimately was Bi-polar and had niggas at his neck if at one moment he feels "fuck niggas, I gotta ride," and then the other moment he feels about women's rights. But dudes who just rap about foolishness all day long then tarnish leaders names in their songs by relating their acts or "movements" with the leaders, I personally don't like that. Because it's willful ignorance and that ignorance is dirtying something positive/potentially positive to a person not in the know. Doesn't mean I hate the artist but that particular action pisses me off.
Let me ask you a couple of questions:

1. Would you have this problem if there were no market for the music?

2. Should the consumer of "willful ignorance" be held responsible for willfully purchasing/consuming what you call willful ignorance?

At first the questions may seem similar but they aren't. Let me know what you think.

Feb 7, 2006
Let me ask you a couple of questions:

1. Would you have this problem if there were no market for the music?

2. Should the consumer of "willful ignorance" be held responsible for willfully purchasing/consuming what you call willful ignorance?

At first the questions may seem similar but they aren't. Let me know what you think.
Damn G. You bout to get me caught up in some logical fallacy/hypocrisy/etc. type shit, I can feel it lol. But I'm just gonna answer from my gut like i have been in this thread.

1. If there were no market for that kind of music I woudn't really care.

2. I feel the blame really should reside with the system (schools, media, military/police, gov., etc) but since it's hard to get at such a massive multi-layered apparatus, we have to narrow it down to the artist and then the consumer. In hat order. The artist is being pimped by the "system" but I feel with the artist there is much more of a give and take and a say. I feel the consumer lacks most of the bargaining tools and insider knowledge of goals and benefits when it comes to any situation having to do with deleterious or beneficial material aimed at their collective group. Artist, in a general sense, are the natural leaders from whatever socio-economic group they hail from, hence some responsibility is required in any action they take.

Aug 19, 2004
As I got older and see mufuckas actin out and treating these rappers and their lyrics like god or words from a mentor, shit has changed to me...
It's always been like that. People, especially youngsters are desperate to fit in, and instead of being themselves, they'd rather be characters, by emulating rappers, actors, etc.

I can overlook someone talking about baby guts and nuts in every song, or someone who legitimately was Bi-polar and had niggas at his neck if at one moment he feels "fuck niggas, I gotta ride," and then the other moment he feels about women's rights. But dudes who just rap about foolishness all day long then tarnish leaders names in their songs by relating their acts or "movements" with the leaders, I personally don't like that. Because it's willful ignorance and that ignorance is dirtying something positive/potentially positive to a person not in the know. Doesn't mean I hate the artist but that particular action pisses me off.

Which is more important, the leader or the message?

I think an album promoting black on black violence, gang retaliation, drug abuse, misogyny, etc, is just as bad, or worse than this Huey Newton song.

You can really overlook the content of Season of Da Siccness but not this other dudes album content?

Feb 7, 2006
you're right about the content, but BLH content is so over the top that most people see it as pure entertainment. Artists like Wiz promote a lifestyle as well as a state of being people "should" aspire to. I think the extreme content of BLH puts him off to the regular youngster who is tryna fit in and grasp the world, Wiz's ignorance is "cool" though and says "fuck all that positive shit we smokin weed, pullin other niggas' bitches, got the new louie, whips, etc." That kinda rap always pulled more listeners then BLH type rap that appeals to people looking to be entertained or those that straddle the normal abnormal fence (juggalos, bangers, etc.)

Aug 19, 2004
I appreciate your response and hate to beat a dead horse, but I can't see how anyone would view Brotha Lynch as just pure entertainment. If it was just that most of the rappers we grew up listening to wouldn't have stressed how real their music is.

"This is real deal shit/
It's not about Crip or Blood/
It's about payback that family love/
so fuck your whole click/

...There aint no fuckin way my cousin's
gonna lay up in a casket wit no retaliation
there aint no fuckin way that motherfucker died for that blocc
so lets heat them motherfuckin glocks...

-Liquor Sicc from SEASON

Brotha Lynch's cousin, a GBC gang member was killed and the rapper was encouraging gang retaliation.
Would most people really view this as just pure entertainment, fiction?

What's your excuse for X-Raided?

I send letters from the pen to my true locs
It's time to ride my nigga go out and shoot folks

Perkin' niggas like Folgers, motivatin' soldiers
To make you set look like yo set got wrecked with bulldozers

Back down, truly whaaat?, it's my duty to provide the
Shit that makes niggas load up their rugers and ride Cuz
Get in your hooptie if you from the four
And show these niggas how we represent Garden Blocc, when it's time to roll
We put it down, killin' bitches in the drama too

And what do some rappers think of "pure entertainment?"

My father figures was Arnold "Schwarzanigga" and Sly Styllone
Puttin' visions of murder in a nigga's dome, early on
I grew up, watchin' Al Pacino and Nino Brown
Tarentino is the one who let me know how to put it down
Television created a gang of niggas like me
We learned how to kill at home watchin' T.V.
It poisoned my mind as a youth
Introduced me to money, mayhem, and murder, I'm the product it produced

Artists like Wiz promote a lifestyle as well as a state of being people "should" aspire to...

...fuck all that positive shit we smokin weed, pullin other niggas' bitches, got the new louie, whips, etc."
I just don't see that as anything new, and as more detrimental than anything that has been coming out since the late 80s.
NWA, Too $hort, Mac Dre, etc.
Glorifying violence against women, making/selling crack, etc.

I wouldn't lump Outkast with these rappers (again, from what little I've heard) but most of these rappers have promoted just as much ignorance as Wiz Khalifa's "Huey Newton" song.

2pac and Snoop's commercial shilling for St. Ides beer

Feb 7, 2006
true, I guess we moved away from the original rappers in mind, (and I still think Hung despite his crip affiliation relates more to weirdos and other aberrant mind type people). Niggas listened to artists with similar gang/thug lyrics to Hung but not all that horrorcore shit. So of course when you put in other "reality"/"gangsta" whatever rappers it changes up the whole artists. And yes, Dre, too short, NWA, etc. have fucked up our mind states that's why the generation under us don't give a fuck about shit, where as we gave a fuck about tearin up shit.