Wiz Khalifa’s Song ‘Huey Newton’ Sparks Controversy

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Oct 6, 2005
Noreaga, Nas Escobar, Khadafi... Tony Starks, Big Baby Jesus, Rakim Allah... Rappers play with names, play with words, meanings, definitions... Wiz is no different...

Feb 7, 2006
They brought up 'Rosa Parks' by Outkast in the Article... But why can't we compare the content of Wiz's artistry to the content of Outkast's...? Or Oliver Stone...? Wiz is, rappin', playin' with words, usin' the same techniques other rappers like Outkast (Rosa Parks) & UGK have used, "Bobby by the Pound/Whitney by the key." ....I have a feelin' people are attached to Huey Newton in really rigid ways & are really upset with something they feel is a form of blasphemy...
because besides them (Outkast and Wiz) using the same techniques, their content is different. Oliver Stone doesn't use the same techniques Wiz uses because he works in a different medium and the content they tackle is different as well.

Oct 6, 2005
because besides them (Outkast and Wiz) using the same techniques, their content is different. Oliver Stone doesn't use the same techniques Wiz uses because he works in a different medium and the content they tackle is different as well.
I'm gonna stick with Rosa Parks here... 'Cause 'Rosa Parks' is to Outkast what 'Huey Newton' is to Wiz... So, how does the content of those two songs differ...? What deep social commentary is Outkast makin' with 'Rosa Parks' that Wiz seems to lack in his 'Huey Newton' jam...? And Oliver Stone uses a different medium than Wiz so (for the sake of argument) we'll leave him out...

Feb 7, 2006
Yeah, if we keep outkast to rosa parks then they're the same, but why limit outkast to just Rosa Parks when outkast talk about black people and their issues and how to uplift them? I can't in good faith say that Wiz and currensy are the same as outkast.

Apr 2, 2010
Of course their going to rap about bullshit they need to get paid fellas by appealing to the larger dumbed down community that cares about nothing more than that.

The only way I can see this being a not so negative reflection of Huey Newton is that black communities can now enjoy life and "live it up" thanks to segregation being gone through the help of activists such as Newton. Sure, racism still exists but its not as radical as it use to be, but even that idea is a stretch and its a bad look for both Newton and these 2 idiots. Newton wouldn't be in the club smackin the asses of diseased strippers and doing drugs, but he would be celebrating if he seen how much has changed then.

Idk I'm so confused with the song, theres gotta be some reason they called it Huey Newton..

Oct 6, 2005
Yeah, if we keep outkast to rosa parks then they're the same, but why limit outkast to just Rosa Parks when outkast talk about black people and their issues and how to uplift them? I can't in good faith say that Wiz and currensy are the same as outkast.
I just hate that rappers get pigeon holed into sh*t... And for the most part aren't allowed the same creative freedom as other artists... Painters, actors, movie directors... Rappers gotta "keep it real"...

Apr 2, 2010
I just hate the rappers get pigeon holed into sh*t... And for the most part aren't allowed the same creative freedom as other artists... Painters, actors, movie directors... Rappers gotta "keep it real"...
Your definitely right about that..Movies and paintings are looked at as purely fantasy for some reason.

Aug 19, 2004
because besides them (Outkast and Wiz) using the same techniques, their content is different.
But what's the result of the songs in question? Outkast might make better music but do the songs "Rosa Parks," and "Huey Newton" end up trivializing the people's names they're using?

Me personally, if the song is about weed, it sounds pretty stupid to name it "Huey Newton."
But why is it that ignorance like this is controversial while other instances are ignored? This reminds me of that anti-coonery ad Nas put out, criticizing rappers for reinforcing negative racial stereotypes, coming from the same guy who named himself after drug trafficker Pablo Escobar. We're worried that the younger generation is listening to this and will confuse Huey Newton as a drug term, but not that they're listening to music that promotes drug use?

Feb 7, 2006
It's simple, and I've said it a couple of times, Wiz has no "conscious" songs, Outkast has quite a few. So when most people hear Rosa Parks who are familiar with Outkast they feel that was a mistake not to be lambasted, plus rosa parks isn't a metaphor for any negative shit. Wiz on the other hand, well if all you talk about is weed, how much money you got, the killaz you got on board, then make a song fuckin off a leaders name...Well you don't have any leverage. Nas has some goosd shit but he confused.