Why these KC Rap Artist Failed?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Nov 13, 2004
I just want to start hopefully an intelligent dialog of why some of our artist from the town have never been able to achieve nationwide success? Of coarse this is not to down anybody but just to examine "why" because we had soooo many people with potential but they fell thru the cracks. And let me clarify...when I say "fail" i dont mean it literally but just using that term for a lack of better words...

Tech N9ne (clearly the most prominent artist but still waiting on major exposure and major record sales)

Rich The Factor (loved in KC,The Bay,Arkansas,Oklahoma and maybe several other lil towns but just could never get past that hood mentallity and being a KC star IMO)

Pure Dope (dont really know enuff to comment)

Block Life (seem to clearly have the financing and decent music...??? Maybe a matter of time?

Mon E G ( probably one of the youngest OG's in the KC rap scene. Good music, street cred, consistancy. Just never caught on. Hopefully soon.

Court Dog (Signed to No Limit in mid 90's, put out a couple solos and group albums with a so so reception. Maybe too much Bone influence? Did a movie too....we will see.

MidwestSide (Joker,Macc James...I thought these niggaz was tight...they beats and swagg was good to me. What happened?

S2theB (Nice beats with more of a local appeal but still put out solid quality albums....people just aint fuck with it. Dont know why?

The Popper( Lyrical,radio support,solid production,club play,...what went wrong?

Lejo ( Very Very talented lyrically and put some decent shit out. What happened?

Ghetto Kaos ( These niggaz was super tight to me, and I know one of them did a bid, but they was gaining momentum in the early 90's with Jackpot and just lost it.

57th St. RDV's ( Had help from Tech, solid rappers with great production and good club bangers but never was able to capitalize.

I know its a lot more but this is off the top of my head. Feel free to express opinions on those I mention and those I missed.

Jul 16, 2008
They aint failed its just that the industry has been on sum bullshit lately not noticing real artist with talent they have been signing ATL niggas who aint worth shit that make pop songs and up here in KC we make REAL street shit the INDUSTRY aint ready 4 no real shit.

Jul 30, 2008
They aint failed its just that the industry has been on sum bullshit lately not noticing real artist with talent they have been signing ATL niggas who aint worth shit that make pop songs and up here in KC we make REAL street shit the INDUSTRY aint ready 4 no real shit.
^^^maybe it's the mentality in KC^^^^^^^niggaz aren't very intelligent in KC, outside of "street shit"

Nov 13, 2004
tech n9ne far from failed..
Actually Im not saying any of them failed per se, but Tech has failed to achieve a lil wayne,Nelly,Eminem type of success. Hell Tech has yet to acheive a Soulja Boy or Plies success. So thats my question....why not? Because I think Tech is very deserving of that type of success. Kansas City should have it crackin like the A, or The Lou. Tech is waaayyy more successful than any other KC artist, but on the grand scheme of the music industry as a whole he hasnt scratched the surface.

Jul 16, 2008
^^^maybe it's the mentality in KC^^^^^^^niggaz aren't very intelligent in KC, outside of "street shit"
Man what I am tryin to say is that we know the business, but we rather stay underground then deal with all the bullshit that comes with the business for example we can sell 10,000 copies in our city and get $100,000 if we do 10 a cd but if you ar major and your album sells that amount you aint gettin nonthing but a dollar a cd thats why TECH N9ne Has more money then a average major artist right now becuz KC niggaz is smart and business experienced.

Props: Teddy X
Nov 13, 2004
Man what I am tryin to say is that we know the business, but we rather stay underground then deal with all the bullshit that comes with the business for example we can sell 10,000 copies in our city and get $100,000 if we do 10 a cd but if you ar major and your album sells that amount you aint gettin nonthing but a dollar a cd thats why TECH N9ne Has more money then a average major artist right now becuz KC niggaz is smart and business experienced.
U my friend are misinformed. U must still think its 1995. Tech get his money off shows not record sales. Tech aint seeing $10 off no record!! And I hope and would guess Tech is doing "Okay" financially but far far from rich. Court Dog is the only rapper "I" know of from KC that could probably be catagorized as lightweight "rich" but its not from music. But I hope Tech gets his just do real soo.

Jun 24, 2004
Thanks for opening xxo816 eyes....

I know a lot of artist are getting show money..But I can only speak for what Ive seen with MIMS..The first CD sold over 425,000 copies (it should go GOLD by next yr lol) he gets around $2 a copies ..Now we did about 65 shows in '07

but heres were the big money was made touring over seas @ $25,000 euros a show they love him overseas hell he has a show in DUBAI coming up aint too many rapper been over to Dubai and those rich fucks pay triple...

Now ringtones..over 3Milli sold..and 2 Milli digital downloads of "This is why Im Hot" and thats how he's seen millions....

The days of standing on the corner hawking CDs is over...Im doing a digital deal and not just Itunes crap(everyone on myspace ect says "my single is now on Itunes" and only 10% of all that music is ever purchased on Itunes) but a true digital deal with the Real Content Group for my album that will feat TJ's single that will be preloaded into phones. Deal is being worked out now.

I also have a couple songs being licensed by MTV, BET and FOX. Its a new day...

Nov 13, 2004
Thanks for opening xxo816 eyes....

I know a lot of artist are getting show money..But I can only speak for what Ive seen with MIMS..The first CD sold over 425,000 copies (it should go GOLD by next yr lol) he gets around $2 a copies ..Now we did about 65 shows in '07

but heres were the big money was made touring over seas @ $25,000 euros a show they love him overseas hell he has a show in DUBAI coming up aint too many rapper been over to Dubai and those rich fucks pay triple...

Now ringtones..over 3Milli sold..and 2 Milli digital downloads of "This is why Im Hot" and thats how he's seen millions....

The days of standing on the corner hawking CDs is over...Im doing a digital deal and not just Itunes crap(everyone on myspace ect says "my single is now on Itunes" and only 10% of all that music is ever purchased on Itunes) but a true digital deal with the Real Content Group for my album that will feat TJ's single that will be preloaded into phones. Deal is being worked out now.

I also have a couple songs being licensed by MTV, BET and FOX. Its a new day...
And there u have it. Its a new day...nice post.

Nov 1, 2005
tech n9ne is the most successful independent rapper in the game, his last release outsold several major label rappers first week numbers... he is nowhere near a bust, dude sells out 10,000 person shows

Props: Teddy X
May 9, 2003
www.soundclick.com
queen rich dont want to be no star he is happy with the hood fame i must say. we all know this. if he wanted too, im pretty sure he could sell out and go mainstream all he needs is a lil jon beat lol...he is eating pretty good out here tho.

Teddy X

The Factor
Dec 26, 2008
Union City, Georgia
www.youtube.com
Rich The Factor (loved in KC,The Bay,Arkansas,Oklahoma and maybe several other lil towns but just could never get past that hood mentallity and being a KC star IMO)

Court Dog (Signed to No Limit in mid 90's, put out a couple solos and group albums with a so so reception. Maybe too much Bone influence? Did a movie too....we will see.

Lejo ( Very Very talented lyrically and put some decent shit out. What happened?

57th St. RDV's ( Had help from Tech, solid rappers with great production and good club bangers but never was able to capitalize.

:cool::cool::siccness:..They alwayz put out tight albumz...Them the boyz I see doing there thang evertime I think of the K.C., No Doubt...Especially Rich The Factor...Tight heat for my boy 4 R.E.A.L.!!

"Major Factor" iz my song...no doubt!!!

Aug 16, 2003
I know that in Techs case part of the reason he hasn't as big as other mainstream rappers is because of deals he made earlier in his career that didn't come through. I think one label he signed with went bankrupt on him.

As far as Lejo I heard he had some bad drug issues.....might be a rumor but who knows. As far as everyone else one the list I don't have enough info to say but I know one factor is always support from local radio and clubs. Another factor is the industry wanting to take chances on Midwest rappers. They would rather spend there money making another Kanye or T. I. And make for sure money then taking chances on a Tech or a Rich who sounds different then what's out right now.

Jun 10, 2007
I just want to start hopefully an intelligent dialog of why some of our artist from the town have never been able to achieve nationwide success? Of coarse this is not to down anybody but just to examine "why" because we had soooo many people with potential but they fell thru the cracks. And let me clarify...when I say "fail" i dont mean it literally but just using that term for a lack of better words...

Tech N9ne (clearly the most prominent artist but still waiting on major exposure and major record sales)

Pure Dope (dont really know enuff to comment)

Block Life (seem to clearly have the financing and decent music...??? Maybe a matter of time?

Mon E G ( probably one of the youngest OG's in the KC rap scene. Good music, street cred, consistancy. Just never caught on. Hopefully soon.

MidwestSide (Joker,Macc James...I thought these niggaz was tight...they beats and swagg was good to me. What happened?

S2theB (Nice beats with more of a local appeal but still put out solid quality albums....people just aint fuck with it. Dont know why?

The Popper( Lyrical,radio support,solid production,club play,...what went wrong?

Ghetto Kaos ( These niggaz was super tight to me, and I know one of them did a bid, but they was gaining momentum in the early 90's with Jackpot and just lost it.

I know its a lot more but this is off the top of my head. Feel free to express opinions on those I mention and those I missed.

Yea I can agree a lil bit. The thang is dat the industry would rather a simple verse with a catchy hook and a i guess a snap beat or sum sorta atl beat and dats with anywhere. Alot of KC niggaz is eatin rite now but its from independent but the game isnt the same anymore. When I met hustlamade Bugsy in Oklahoma City him and them fam-le-tree niggaz were sittin nice and grindin but like i said before its what the streets want and not the majors. Its the same with St.louis. Da people doin songs strictly for the streets in Stl get overlooked to its just that theres sum pop artists now like nelly, chingy, huey etc., which makes the majors look at the lou more. But I kno niggaz personally in Stl and Kc who do music like say a rich the factor and live pretty damn good but they may never see the stardom i think they deserve. How I kno about the stl scene is because I lived there on the northside where it goes down and I can honestly tell u what would help both cities. Most people might not want to hear this but imma say it anyway. ST.LOUIS AND KANSAS CITY HAVE TO START COLLABIN ON PROJECTS TOGETHER. THEY HAVE TO. Im on a label called "Murderous Mid South Musicc" and 2 of the members named J-Cynical and Ripsyc are both from Kansas City and im always takin them to st.louis and hookin connects. Niggaz gotta start eatin instead of beefin.

www.myspace.com/okla405nicca

Aug 31, 2005
Alot of KC niggaz is eatin rite now but its from independent but the game isnt the same anymore.

ST.LOUIS AND KANSAS CITY HAVE TO START COLLABIN ON PROJECTS TOGETHER. THEY HAVE TO.

www.myspace.com/okla405nicca

I WOULD'NT SAY ALOT...AS FAR AS EATIN. CD SALES IS DOWN FOR EVERYBODY, A COUPLE OF CAMPS IS EATIN OFF THE INDY HUSTLE IN KC

VERY TRUE BOUT KC / ST.L. I TELL ALOT OF PEOPLE FROM KC THAT WANT THAT MAINSTREAM LOOK, THAT THEY WOULD HAVE TO BE HEAVY IN THE LOU TO HAVE A CHANCE....

THE THING ABOUT KC & ST.L IS IT'S LIKE A DIFFERENT WORLD...SOMEWHERE IN BETWEEN IS WHERE THERE IS A MAJOR SHIFT. THE DONT CALL KC "THA BABY BAY" OR THE LOU "THA BABY A" FOR NO REASON....

I HAD SOME INDUSTRY PEOPLE FROM THE LOU IN K.C. @ A CLUB AND THEY NEVER HEARD A RICH THE FACTOR OR MAC DRE SONG TIL THAT NIGHT...
2 VERY DIFFERENT MARKETS!

I COULD GO ON AND ON ABOUT THE DIFFERENCES....

DA HOL 9 & X-TAC WERE BOTH HEAVY IN THEIR OPPOSITE MARKET AS FAR AS KC/ST.L. THEY BOTH HAD MAJOR LABELS GETTIN AT THEM....NEITHER MANAGED TO BLOW ON A NATIONAL SCALE THO.

AS FAR AS THE LIST THAT MAFIAQUEEN STARTED, I DON'T KNOW ABOUT ALL OF THEIR SITUATIONS BUT I KNOW MOST OF THE PEOPLE ON THAT LIST & CAN SPEAK ON A FEW OF THEM... I'LL LEAVE THAT ALONE THO.

RICH & TECH ARE VERY SUCCESSFUL AND I APPLAUD WHAT THEY BOTH HAVE ACCOMPLISHED FOR K.C. & IN THIS RAP GAME

IF YOUR TALKIN BOUT JAN '09, MOST OF THE REST OF THE LIST IS TOO OLD TO BLOW NOW...NOT EVERY BASKETBALL PLAYER MAKES IT TO THE LEAGUE, SAME WIT THIS RAP SHIT. ALOT OF THEM ARE PRETTY QUIET ON THE MUSIC SCENE IN KC

JUST MY 2 PENNIES........................

May 20, 2006
I WOULD'NT SAY ALOT...AS FAR AS EATIN. CD SALES IS DOWN FOR EVERYBODY, A COUPLE OF CAMPS IS EATIN OFF THE INDY HUSTLE IN KC

VERY TRUE BOUT KC / ST.L. I TELL ALOT OF PEOPLE FROM KC THAT WANT THAT MAINSTREAM LOOK, THAT THEY WOULD HAVE TO BE HEAVY IN THE LOU TO HAVE A CHANCE....

THE THING ABOUT KC & ST.L IS IT'S LIKE A DIFFERENT WORLD...SOMEWHERE IN BETWEEN IS WHERE THERE IS A MAJOR SHIFT. THE DONT CALL KC "THA BABY BAY" OR THE LOU "THA BABY A" FOR NO REASON....

I HAD SOME INDUSTRY PEOPLE FROM THE LOU IN K.C. @ A CLUB AND THEY NEVER HEARD A RICH THE FACTOR OR MAC DRE SONG TIL THAT NIGHT...
2 VERY DIFFERENT MARKETS!

I COULD GO ON AND ON ABOUT THE DIFFERENCES....

DA HOL 9 & X-TAC WERE BOTH HEAVY IN THEIR OPPOSITE MARKET AS FAR AS KC/ST.L. THEY BOTH HAD MAJOR LABELS GETTIN AT THEM....NEITHER MANAGED TO BLOW ON A NATIONAL SCALE THO.

AS FAR AS THE LIST THAT MAFIAQUEEN STARTED, I DON'T KNOW ABOUT ALL OF THEIR SITUATIONS BUT I KNOW MOST OF THE PEOPLE ON THAT LIST & CAN SPEAK ON A FEW OF THEM... I'LL LEAVE THAT ALONE THO.

RICH & TECH ARE VERY SUCCESSFUL AND I APPLAUD WHAT THEY BOTH HAVE ACCOMPLISHED FOR K.C. & IN THIS RAP GAME

IF YOUR TALKIN BOUT JAN '09, MOST OF THE REST OF THE LIST IS TOO OLD TO BLOW NOW...NOT EVERY BASKETBALL PLAYER MAKES IT TO THE LEAGUE, SAME WIT THIS RAP SHIT. ALOT OF THEM ARE PRETTY QUIET ON THE MUSIC SCENE IN KC

JUST MY 2 PENNIES........................
Blah, blah, blah, yadda, yadda, yadda. Soul Mutt KC and StL, aint no baby nothing. We are what we are, it is what it is. B4 any real music collabo blossoms between the 816/314, it has to be sum 4real TRUST...StL is good at what they do, KC niggaz is thorough at what we do. We survive well independently. But 2gether, it'll just be a MONOPOLY!!!

Much Luv,

Cheddar Cheez

Aug 31, 2005
^^^IT'S ALL G CHEEZE! I'M LIKE U, I WANNA SEE ANYBODY/SOMEONE OR GROUP PUT KC ON THE BIG INDUSTRY MAP....

BREAK DOWN THE "4 REAL" TRUST THING FOR ME HOMIE. JUST TRYIN TO PEEP YOUR P.O.V.