Why should Bay artists make a music video?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

J:M

Sicc OG
Feb 4, 2004
I was just looking at the program guide for MTV, and the only time they play videos is between 5AM-7AM. People that don't have extended cable won't be able to watch MTV Jams or MTV Hits (or whatever it's called), so the national appeal isn't there. Is BET still using radio spins to determine video plays on their station? Just got me wondering, with the nice Frontline, Federation, and the latest Hoodstarz video which has high production (all green screen), all of which did not do anything. Just don't know what the $20k dropped on a decent video does. Almost EVERY bay video, I've seen ONLY on youtube. So here goes...

WHY CREATE A VIDEO?

Honest question, and I'm curious what everyone thinks. Especially ones that drop loot to make videos. Please refrain from the whole, "It's for promotion" bullshit. If that was true, we can back that up with numbers/soundscans before and after the video was released. I searched and couldn't find any thread simliar to this one. Sorry if it's a re-post.

Mar 4, 2006
good question. i think even if it don't get play on tv if people come across a video on the net that could create a buzz for an artist or group. or in my situation i'd make a video out of my love for hip-hop and give people different images to associate with hip-hop other than cliche shit.

May 30, 2006
I've asked myself that question not just for the Bay but for any artist w/o a major deal. Its cool that they are on youtube & if that artist release a DVD & has the video on there uncencored is always cool. I like that shit. I've always wondered why there are no video shows showing indie videos cuz on these major networks they aint showing ur shit unless u done spent 300k or more the video.

Like Scarface said hella years ago. "They wanna show the million dollar video but not the 20 thousand with the real talent. I'm gonna keep that million in my pocket". That's real talk.

Aug 16, 2007
www.jhazemusic.com
doing a video is steppin ur professionalism up to the next standard. i recently shot a video for my song "my shit dont stink" and pressed up copies of it and i am doing a dvd release party for it. (feb 2nd)

as an artist you are an entertainer, and a video adds another platform to reach audiences. it also separates you from the next artist (cuz we all know there are a million fuckin rappers) and gives a face to your image. plus you gotta keep hitting people with new shit.

and who says that being on MTV or BET makes your shit valid? trust, theres plenty of independent artists eatin without fuckin with the mainstream tv outlets. thats the whole fuckin point of being INDEPENDENT! u dont need to rely on the mainstream to succeed.

you need to do your reasearch, there are plenty of outlets other than youtube or myspace.

you can take your shit to the streets and put it directly in the peoples hands.

you can get clubs to play your vidoes on their flat screens.

or you can get your video played on "distortion to static" or shows like "VJTV" in oakland that plays on public broadcast channels through comcast. they may not reach as many people, but those who do tune in are real fans of hip-hop. ya know, the ones that actually buy cds!

it all comes down to what you value more... longevity? respect? control of your career? thats what its like for artists like messy marv, san quinn, mac dre...

or is it more important to you that all the little 13 year olds know your hook? and then u dissapear when ur next single doesnt catch on so well... this last year alone is a perfect example, look at mims, shop boys, hurricane chris... they were all indy artists in their region that got picked up by a major, got a video on mtv and proceeded to fall the fuck off

Apr 30, 2003
beatsbythebay.com
doing a video is steppin ur professionalism up to the next standard. i recently shot a video for my song "my shit dont stink" and pressed up copies of it and i am doing a dvd release party for it. (feb 2nd)

as an artist you are an entertainer, and a video adds another platform to reach audiences. it also separates you from the next artist (cuz we all know there are a million fuckin rappers) and gives a face to your image. plus you gotta keep hitting people with new shit.

and who says that being on MTV or BET makes your shit valid? trust, theres plenty of independent artists eatin without fuckin with the mainstream tv outlets. thats the whole fuckin point of being INDEPENDENT! u dont need to rely on the mainstream to succeed.

you need to do your reasearch, there are plenty of outlets other than youtube or myspace.

you can take your shit to the streets and put it directly in the peoples hands.

you can get clubs to play your vidoes on their flat screens.

or you can get your video played on "distortion to static" or shows like "VJTV" in oakland that plays on public broadcast channels through comcast. they may not reach as many people, but those who do tune in are real fans of hip-hop. ya know, the ones that actually buy cds!

it all comes down to what you value more... longevity? respect? control of your career? thats what its like for artists like messy marv, san quinn, mac dre...

or is it more important to you that all the little 13 year olds know your hook? and then u dissapear when ur next single doesnt catch on so well... this last year alone is a perfect example, look at mims, shop boys, hurricane chris... they were all indy artists in their region that got picked up by a major, got a video on mtv and proceeded to fall the fuck off
The Stay in school video brought new life to the song and on the strength of Youtube got me a lot of things that can help make this even bigger,Comcast is a good outlet for videos, too bad CMC don't mess with the bay too much,I like the fact cats are doing videos in the bay, that visual helps the product a lot also...

Mar 5, 2006
I like keaks vids (even tho he rockin the redsox hat) but they not mtv material... i dont think ne bay vids are mtv material they all ppl goin dumb which we understand but ppl on the west coast n shit prolly change the channel... like the 18 dummy vid... i like it but most ppl do not that new vid that quinn came out with with that one dudes fukin hard tho

May 2, 2002
www.money-tree.tv
I think doing videos takes you as an artist to the next level. When you put out videos it can make your fan base grow and the more you put into your career as an entertainer with visuals, mixtapes or whatever extras that the next artist doesn't do, it leaves a better impression on everyone. There are a whole lot more outlets to have your video played online other than myspace or youtube. I have all of our vidz on 10 other sites than these. I also have them on a few dvds coming out...

May 15, 2005
To be honest i would say film something you enjoy seeing, i dont mind watching some treal tv shit but i feel some mob figaz, cormega, a-wax shit to the heart. always remember the hyphy shit will get u a couple of bucks, but the lyricist are here forever. outty five thow wow, PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!

Mar 20, 2007
www.myspace.com
WHY NOT?? MY SEAN PAUL VIDEO GOT OVER 50 THOUSAND VIEWS ON YOU TUBE, IT GIVES PEOPLE A VISUAL, ALSO ITS ALL ON HOW U PUSH UR VIDEO, IM BOUT TO SHOOT MINE WITH SLIM THUG IN HOUSTON, IF IT MAKES NOISE AND U NO THE RIGHT PEOPLE IT WILL GET PLAY, IT SEEMS LIKE A WASTE BUT IN THE LONG RUN ITS A GREAT LOOK

Feb 10, 2004
www.twitter.com
That is why. With the digital age upon us, I think that artists need to connect with audiences and make fans in any way possible. A video can be a powerful tool on the internet. Forget about TV, on the net everyone has a chance to put something out there and see who likes it. You also can get feedback, so you learn more about the people who like you. A music video makes more sense than ever before for a local artist trying to be a global artist.

Aug 16, 2007
www.jhazemusic.com
i was watchin this shit on youtube about the digital age and they were sayin that studies showed that more people are online watching shows and videos during primetime than there are people watchin tv...

the net is takin over, whether its video games, music, whatever... u can damn near do anything over the net now

Jan 6, 2008
www.youtube.com
thats one of the main reasons...honestly, alot of the people i know just sit on youtube when theyre bored and watch random videos. so if as an artist u can get an appealing video on youtube, your name can spread alot faster than just myspace or even the radio

Jul 12, 2007
i feel dude sayin no point in spendin like 20 thousand on an independant video cause no matter what they get no love like the from the hood video that shit was so clean and that song is so hard n it got no play n that wasnt any shit like everyone goin dumb but fuck it i love seein these bay videos

Nov 7, 2005
most people don't hustle they video. everyone hits up radio stations even ones that would never play your stuff if you were to walk in with 10-20 racks. recording drops and everything and hiring the dj's for mixtapes. there are indie video shows in every city in america. in the bay you got vjtv plays videos from 9am to 6pm every day in oakland channel 78. you got distortion to static and a ton of other shows. and every city you name there are shows that will play you if you do your homework and get at them. if you hustle your video will get seen

Nov 7, 2005
wat happened to vjtv they be playin nuthin but old school shit when i turn it on there i aint seen no rap on there in months
believe it or not ain't nobody coming through with no new video's. we be damn near begging cats to shoot us they videos. we got hellla hours of programming blocks to fill up. so we play a two hour prince concert. video shows fom out of state get at us and we play them. we just ain't getting the bay rap community to really holla at us.

J:M

Sicc OG
Feb 4, 2004
believe it or not ain't nobody coming through with no new video's. we be damn near begging cats to shoot us they videos. we got hellla hours of programming blocks to fill up. so we play a two hour prince concert. video shows fom out of state get at us and we play them. we just ain't getting the bay rap community to really holla at us.
It's because all these cats don't know the business. The ones that do, still can't justify with raw numbers what videos do. I respect the ones that got the hustle, but we gotta admit, a bunch of the bay artists are lazy. Lazy on the pro tools, lazy on the lyrics, and lazy on the promotion.