why do people dislike bay area rap

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Dec 25, 2003
Rap music - 85% of people who listen to rap are idiots anyways.

You look at shit like "Chain Hang Low", Papoose, Nelly - its music for the stupid, by the stupid.

Trying to figure out the exact hows and whys of anything related to rap is pointless. Why Thug Thug got famous and Lil Dubb, Rappin Rick, and D-Mo didnt is not really an answerable question.

Stealth

May 8, 2002
I'm from Pittsburgh, PA. I'm the only one out here who listens to Bay music. Some of the shit I play, people love, some of the shit I play, people hate.

1. Gangsta Rap (1996 era Bay Area rap) is no longer popular. The funky beats are cool but the choruses aren't polished for the radio. The topics aren't as relevant to society anymore. Rap music has moved away from the gang banger image.

2. Hyphy - The beats are considered wack by non-thizzing individuals outside of the Bay. Keak makes no sense whatsoever. The Team has great production, but they aren't well known outside of the Bay.

3. Hip Hop (Zion I, Hieroglyphics) - Get their props in backpacking circles, but nowhere else.

A lot of Bay artists are independent. This means that they might make more money off of each album, but they don't have the distribution. They can't advertise like major labels, and they don't control MTV and the Radio.

The hyphy style is a regional style that has to spread, but it didn't spread because its more culturally based than music based. You have to understand the Bay area culture before you understand why people think Hyphy is good. My friends don't ride scrapers and thizz. They prefer music that applies to them.

That's my $.02.

May 30, 2006
Stealth said:
I'm from Pittsburgh, PA. I'm the only one out here who listens to Bay music. Some of the shit I play, people love, some of the shit I play, people hate.

1. Gangsta Rap (1996 era Bay Area rap) is no longer popular. The funky beats are cool but the choruses aren't polished for the radio. The topics aren't as relevant to society anymore. Rap music has moved away from the gang banger image.

2. Hyphy - The beats are considered wack by non-thizzing individuals outside of the Bay. Keak makes no sense whatsoever. The Team has great production, but they aren't well known outside of the Bay.

3. Hip Hop (Zion I, Hieroglyphics) - Get their props in backpacking circles, but nowhere else.

A lot of Bay artists are independent. This means that they might make more money off of each album, but they don't have the distribution. They can't advertise like major labels, and they don't control MTV and the Radio.

The hyphy style is a regional style that has to spread, but it didn't spread because its more culturally based than music based. You have to understand the Bay area culture before you understand why people think Hyphy is good. My friends don't ride scrapers and thizz. They prefer music that applies to them.

That's my $.02.
U pretty much summed it up playboy. I've been saying 4 years that current Bay rap iz too regional. alot of the shit comin'from the south iz too regional but they have enough people that wil support their own witout the help of outside regions so they have more of a chance2 get away with it.

Nov 28, 2005
nob0die said:
i know the answer..... the reason noone listens to Bay rap is.... IT SUCKS...
have you ever listened to it??? if so then you'd know and wouldnt have to ask in here.... BAY AREA RAP is WACK... i say it time and time again... noone believes it.. but it does... thats y noone even collaborates with the West hardly except for Poop Dogg and Lame.. i mean Snoop and Game.... and they suck.... they beats are 98% garbage (ive heard a few Fab songs that sounded good until he started rappin)... and that pretty much sums it up.....
now if yall will excuse me... im goin back to slappin my Chingy Jackpot cd....
even doe i disagree with you thats the kind of response im looking for

Gas One

May 24, 2006
Downtown, Pittsburg. Southeast Dago.
i dunno, but i got 3x krazy in my car
and it aint a burnt cd

and poop dogg? haha..thats hater shit...snoop has put out alot of dope shit in his career..sure its not all good..but no one puts out all good music...even rakim has wack albums under his belt.

and i dont see people not liking bay area rap? go with a dj to a show in southern cali and throw on some mac dre and see how many people get on the dancefloor and do stupid dances

alcohol = makes young white girls and rich guys do the furl

just because you dont see it dont mean it dosent happen

Feb 17, 2006
by bay area rap i assume you mean the "new bay" type shit aka hyphy...and the reason i don't like that is because i'm not a big fan of the beats for one thing because they seem to be too preoccupied with what "slaps"...other than that, i don't really want to listen to a bunch of songs about "thizzin" because it gets lame after a while and it's not part of the lifestyle around here. i dont expect everyone to like the shit i love even though i do think it's the best music there is (or else i wouldnt listen to it)...to each his own

Apr 20, 2005
i think most people outside of the bay dont like it because they just dont get it. I suggest yall that dont like it, just go out there and try it. Get thizzed out and go to the club on that e shit. Maybe the music will sound different. Me personally, I dont care what type of rap it is. Whether its hyphy, bagpack, east/westcoast, dirty south/midwest, or gangmember rap. If it sounds straight then cool. Maybe i'll buy it or download it. Which ever comes first. Most likely the downloading will come first. Keep them updates up Cesolito #1.
Thanks to u, i dont have to worry about searching to see whats out. haha

Sep 17, 2005
www.gurpcity.net
I think it's because if your from outside the Bay and don't dig deeper than what's projected by mainstream media, IT ALL SOUNDS THE SAME!! There is a vibrant scene in the Bay as there always has been. You can find any kind of music you want out here. But due to lack of promotion and exposure most people outside of the Bay only see one style being pushed and that style right now is Hyphy which started as a dope sound but has become a clone factory of sub-par unoriginal babble & half ass keyboard beats. Not dissing the originators of the movement but it's gotten a lil ridiculous in my book...with everybody like "Yeah, I got my hyphy track". The bay is respected more so on it's underground/backpack (I hate those titles) but it still is not out there like it should be.

X-NINE

Chi-Illinois
Sep 16, 2006
CHICAGO
Stealth said:

That's my $.02.
Sounds damn rite to me

And I mos def fucks with the bay

San Quinn
Messy Marv
E-40
Mistah Fab
Spice 1
C-Bo
Yukmouth

are them niggas

Jun 10, 2002
I think people think the bay is a bunch of damm pill popping, thizz faced retards since the hyphy movement came along people dont really feel it. I like the old bay shit 2pac,e40,3x krazy, etc not this new shit thats out now and a lil side note for dude that put Papose Next to Nelly are you fucking Crazy im not big on east coast but Papose is far from weak I think hes the next big thing coming out the east

Feb 8, 2003
I think the right answer hasnt been exposed yet.

One of the answer is majority of people outside of the bay arent hip to it yet. Due to poor distribution and most are local state acts thats it. Think about something if it wasnt for the internet and sites like siccness.net 85% of people wouldnt even know about artists in the bay. If it wasnt fro here I would know who Messy Marv, Ya Boy, Mista Cane, Balance, Slo-O are and this coming from a person on the other side of the country not in Cali either.