Who Will WIN at UFC 93 FRANKLIN vs HENDERSON?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

Who Will Win Rich Franklin Vs. Dan Henderson ?

• Rich Franklin via KO or TKO

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Rich Franklin via Submission

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rich Franklin via Decision

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Dan Henderson via KO or TKO

Votes: 7 43.8%
  • Dan Henderson via Submission

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Dan Henderson via Decision

Votes: 5 31.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Feb 7, 2006
Rich Franklin Vs. Dan Henderson Both fighting at 205lbs

Dan "Hendo" Henderson
6'1"
Team Quest
23-7-0

Rich "Ace" Franklin
6'1"
Team Extreme
24-3-0

Feb 7, 2006
HENDO ANTICIPATES TECHNICAL BATTLE AT UFC 93

Eleven years into a fighting career, Dan Henderson takes improvement in bits and pieces.

“It’s just a matter of who’s in front of me and what my game plan is, and that’s kind of the things I focus on for those few months,” Henderson tells MMAWeekly.com. “There’s so many things in MMA that need improving that it’s hard to get to everything at once, so I think it’s good to take one fight by one fight and improve on certain skills.”

His impending battle with Rich Franklin at UFC 93 has been a fan dream ever since the two were champions in rival organizations. No title is at stake, however, and both fighters have options at middleweight or light heavyweight. It’s just another tough fight on a road the 38-year-old former Olympian sees himself walking for another two years, give or take.

“I guess just whatever challenge is set in front of me,” says Henderson on what keeps him going. “I’m motivated, and I’m pretty excited about this fight.”

He says the two were originally scheduled to meet in mid-2008, though earlier, a source put it at UFC 88.

“There was nothing ever signed,” says Henderson. “There was an offer that was out there, and for whatever reason, he had just got done fighting, and he didn’t want to step in on short notice. Both of us would have been on short notice. I think this is a little bit better, the way it worked out. The fans get a little bit more to look forward to.”

In a recent training session, Henderson is working on getting around the beanpole that is middleweight Cyrille Diabate. He catches kicks and returns fire with his big right hand before slipping to Diabate’s right side, locking in a clinch. The French fighter keeps him honest with a lot of kicks to the inside leg and body, much like Franklin did in his last fight against Matt Hamill.

At the other side his Team Quest gym in Temecula, Calif., “The Ultimate Fighter” season 8 alum Krzysztof Soszynski barks orders and leads a group of fighters through conditioning drills. Pride and UFC vet Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou works the clinch alongside up-and-comer Lew Polley.

Henderson sees a technical battle ahead of him on Jan. 17. Though he’s sometimes been known to swing wilder than many of his original Team Quest teammates, Henderson can also play a conservative, methodical game that grinds out opponents. His wrestling base clearly stands out as an advantage, but he’s got to get close before that becomes a factor. Franklin has often punished those who stay too long at range.

“He seems to be right up there,” says Henderson of Franklin’s stand-up abilities. “He can throw some good straight punches, and he’s got some good looping overhands and hooks too. He looks like he’s got some power; he’s knocked some guys out. He’s obviously not as skilled on his feet as Anderson Silva, but I think he’s right up there, very dangerous on his feet.”

Henderson doesn’t give much weight to his advantage on the mat.

“He’s not going to outwrestle me, but this isn’t a wrestling match,” he explains. “It’s a matter of putting everything together. It’s a matter of putting your strikes in with your wrestling and using one to set up the other.”

Like Franklin, he has been displaced by Silva at middleweight. As the fight was signed, the two decided to face each other at light heavyweight, somewhat of a relief for the former Pride champion. In his earlier career, he fought many bigger men, and never felt small doing it.

“I don’t like to cut weight if I don’t have to,” says Henderson. “I’ve never felt that – and maybe it’s just a mental thing – but I’ve never felt like I’m the smaller guy out there when I’m fighting. I’m out there trying to beat him up just the same and I’ve never felt weak and that I couldn’t do what I wanted to do with my opponents, no matter how big they were.”

But even with the extra pounds, he knows the path to a title shot at 205 isn’t any clearer.

“I think it’s probably even more mucked up than ever,” Henderson says. “Forrest beat Quinton, and Rashad beat Forrest, and Quinton just beat Wanderlei. There’s a ton of fights out there before you even get to a title fight. It’s not one guy that beat a bunch of other guys and is sitting in the number two spot because he lost, (and you) beat him and get a title shot. That’s not the way it is now.”

This fight, however, lays the groundwork for a championship bout. Because of that, it’s Henderson’s number one priority.

“I need to beat Rich Franklin, then who knows,” he says. “I’ve got a couple good years left in me, so hopefully I’ll get a title fight before then.”

Henderson’s road could be long or short on Jan. 17, but he plans on seeing it to the end.

“There’s a good chance of it being a decision,” he predicts. “I think I’ve got a better chance of stopping him – from track records, I’m talking about – than he does of stopping me. Cause he’s not going to submit me, and I’m not gonna get knocked out.”

Feb 12, 2004
I want Hendo to win and I think he will, but lately younger fighters have been putting old fighters down. Will the trend continue?? I hate to say it but RICH by decision ahhhhh.

Feb 7, 2006
FRANKLIN DETERMINED TO BECOME CHAMPION AGAIN
link: http://www.fighthype.com/pages/content4110.html?PHPSESSID=5fc93f38c41c2fff138a76acd65c3c56
A little more than two years have passed since Rich Franklin lost the UFC middleweight crown to Anderson Silva, but his determination to regain the belt hasn't waned. Franklin's desire to be champion again is as strong as ever. His determination is so strong that he is willing to go through larger opponents to accomplish his goal. Franklin hasn't abandoned the middleweight division, where Silva remains champion, but the light heavyweight crown is now on his agenda as well.

Feb 7, 2006
If "TUF" awaits, UFC 93 headliner Rich Franklin ready to give it his all

For former UFC middleweight champion Rich Franklin, Saturday's UFC 93 main event fight with Dan Henderson at The 02 in Dublin, Ireland, will answer a lot of questions about his future.

With a coaching stint on "The Ultimate Fighter 9" and a likely return to 185 pounds on the line, Franklin, who recently moved up to the light heavyweight division, isn't too concerned about the future.

But if "TUF" does await, expect Franklin to give it his all.

Although he sometimes wavered with the decision, UFC President Dana White ultimately decided that the winner of the Franklin (24-3 MMA, 11-2 UFC) vs. Henderson (23-7 MMA, 3-2 UFC) headline fight will coach opposite Michael Bisping on the ninth season of "The Ultimate Fighter," which begins taping later this month with a U.S. vs. U.K. theme. Bisping, a British fighter, and the rival coach will then likely fight once the show finishes its run on Spike TV in June.

While it's been no secret that neither Franklin nor Henderson is especially interested in the six-week stint in Las Vegas, Franklin plans to make the most of the opportunity if it again present itself.

Franklin coached opposite buddy and friendly rival Matt Hughes on the second season of the reality series. Unlike other seasons of the show, the coaches on "TUF2" didn't fight once taping concluded. So, bragging rights depended entirely on who coached his team to victory.

"Matt Hughes is like one of the most super competitive people I know, so you always want to try to outdo him," Franklin told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "And unfortunately for us, we ended up in a dead tie on the show. But he'll tell you he won more challenges or something so he can sleep sleep better at night. That's Matt Hughes. I love him to death."

Franklin, whose squad included eventual show winner and current UFC light heavyweight Rashad Evans, said he learned from his first coaching stint.

"We came in, and we put the guys through that rigorous evaluation, which is just not a smart thing to do because you have guys who are going to fight in a matter of a few days," said Franklin, a former high-school math teacher. "I'm not really sure how I'd go about doing it just this yet. I'll have to sit down and think about it, and believe me, I always put this long thought process into it. That's the teacher side of me. It's like I'm doing some sort of lesson plan. My approach this time would be completely different."

More importantly, though, Franklin said it's impossible not to forge bonds with the fighters on his team. He'd never half-ass it because he wouldn't want to let down his guys.

"When you get these guys on your team, you begin to care about them," Franklin said. "Rashad, for example, was my guy, and he ended up winning season two. You spend all that time with them, and you want to see them succeed. ... You have a vested interest in these guys, and you want to represent yourself as a coach well."

Of course, Franklin must first get by Henderson, a former PRIDE champion who held titles in two weight classes simultaneously before the UFC bought and disbanded the Japanese-based organization in 2007.

"Before we can even really talk about 'The Ultimate Fighter,' I have one obstacle in my way, and that's Dan Henderson," Franklin said. "And that's a big obstacle. That's like putting a pole vault on a high-hurdle run or something. It's going to take a little more effort to get over it than just jumping."

Henderson is just 1-2 since his return to the UFC, but the losses both came in title fights (Quinton Jackson in 2007 and Anderson Silva in 2008). During a stretch from March 2003 to February 2007, Henderson went 10-2 with victories over the likes of Wanderlei Silva, Kazuo Misaki, Akihiro Gono and Kazuhiro Nakamura. Franklin should have a small size advantage on Saturday, but Henderson has made a career of controlling bigger opponents.

If victorious, though, Franklin will move to 2-0 since his move back to 205 pounds (where he hadn't previously competed since an April 2005 breakout win over Ken Shamrock). With quality wins over Matt Hamill and Henderson, Franklin understands it may seem odd he'd drop back down to 185 for a season-ending fight with Bisping.

"I'd assume they'd make the fight at 185," Franklin said. "I don't know why they would do otherwise. But at the same time, I don't understand the match-up all together. I mean, I'm sure they have some scheme or plan worked out. [UFC officials] do good with that kind of stuff – making all the pieces fit. At this point in my career, I have to just take it one fight at a time."

Say it all works out. Would Franklin want to stay at 185? Would he return to 205? Or would it depend on the state of the division and the potential for a title fight?

"Yeah, it'll depend on all that stuff," Franklin said. "It'll depend on what they offer you."

Of course, since Franklin lost his belt to Silva (and then suffered a loss in the rematch), fans assume he's clamoring for a shot to reclaim a championship. Franklin admits its in the back of his mind, but he said it's not a day-to-day concern that dictates his fight schedule.

"The thing is you do these interviews with people who ask you questions, and whether they say it or not, the ulterior motive there, the thought process, all centers on the belt," Franklin said. "So people make the assumption that I'm on this mission to get back to a belt. Yeah, before the end of my career, I'd love to get a belt back; don't get me wrong. But in between now and then, I'll take my career one fight at a time, and as long as I keep winning, something will come. You know? So all I have to do is worry about what's in front of me. The rest of it will just come together."

At 34 years old, Franklin hears the chatter about his eventual retirement. Fans want to know when he's going to hang it up. But does he have a date in mind?

"Dec. 20, 2012," Franklin said. "I'm just joking. Isn't the date the world's supposed to end anyway? I guess I'd have to shut it down by default, if that's the case.

"Honestly, though, I've always pictured myself 36 or 37 – actually, who knows? Really, my gauge is how I feel in the morning. Right now, I feel pretty good. I don't need a cup of coffee and 16 painkillers to get me up and moving. The day that I start feeling like that is the day I need to walk away. People tell me this all the time. They're like, 'Most guys in your position at this point in time would just say that they've been a world champion and will skate off with what they've learned and make some money and fade out quietly.' But I'm not willing to do that. I'm trying to be proactive and get better. I have a lot of fights left."

Feb 7, 2006
Dan Henderson finally meets up with Rich Franklin at UFC 93

A few years ago, Dan Henderson and Rich Franklin's names were right in the middle of every PRIDE vs. UFC debate, as fans talked about which of the two major promotions of that era had the best champions.

Henderson was the longtime PRIDE welterweight (183-pound) champion at the same time Franklin held the UFC's 185-pound middleweight title.

There are no championships at stake on Saturday in Dublin, Ireland, when the two square off some three years after the arguments were at their most intense. And they aren't even fighting at middleweight, as UFC 93's main event is a light heavyweight matchup.

Instead, the stipulation is that the winner will coach the United States team on the next season of "The Ultimate Fighter" reality show, which has a U.S. vs. United Kingdom theme. The show, which begins airing April 1 on Spike TV, started filming this past week with both Henderson and Franklin on the set in Manchester, England, for elimination fights to determine the members of the U.K. team.

The winner of Saturday's fight will fly home, get a day with their family, and then it's off to Las Vegas for five weeks straight of filming the show's ninth season, where the winner will coach opposite Michael Bisping. This will lead to a battle of the coaches, at 185 pounds, most likely in July.

"That's the plan," said Henderson. "That's the way it had better work out."

A win over Franklin followed by a victory over Bisping would likely put Henderson very close to a rematch with current champion Anderson Silva, who defeated Henderson in a title unification match at UFC 82 last year.

"Before I'm done with the sport, I want to have another championship or two, and I think it's definitely attainable," said Henderson, who turned 38 last summer. "I'm feeling great."

Even though it means a long time away from his wife, who he said he'll fly to Las Vegas a few times during filming, his children and his Team Quest gym business in Southern California at a time when several members of his team have fights to get ready for, Henderson, far more than Franklin, embraces the idea of doing the show.

In particular, Henderson noted he liked the idea of coaching Team U.S. This stems from his wrestling background, where he represented the country internationally for years, including in the 1992 and 1996 Olympics.

Franklin, who coached the second season of "The Ultimate Fighter" in 2005, at first was negative about doing the show again, but has agreed to do it if he wins.

"I was really excited to do the first season," said Franklin, who coached season two in 2005, where people like Rashad Evans, Keith Jardine and Joe Stevenson got their first breaks and Franklin became one of UFC's first television-created stars. "Going back and doing it again, I'm not excited about it. It's six weeks in Las Vegas. I could care less about staying in Las Vegas for that length of time. It's time away from my family and time away from making money. It's not a lot of money to do the show, but anything the UFC asks me to do, I'm on board for."

Henderson was the first and only PRIDE 183-pound champ, the highest-profile MMA organization ever in Japan, which was purchased by UFC and then folded in 2007. Henderson won a split decision of Murilo Bustamante on Dec. 31, 2005, in Saitama, Japan.

Franklin was already UFC's middleweight champion at the time, having stopped the late Evan Tanner on June 4, 2005, in Atlantic City, N.J. Henderson eventually lost a title unification match this past March 1 to Anderson Silva, the same Silva who destroyed Franklin in handing the Jim Carrey look-alike his only two career blemishes in the past five years.

Franklin, 34, is a few years younger, with the better boxing technique, more versatile stand-up with more of a variety of kicks. At the peak of the debates over who was better, Franklin had only one loss on his record.

Henderson's strength is he's got knockout power in his right hand, Olympic-caliber wrestling and more experience against a higher quality of competition.

"I think I've got more power than him," said Henderson, now 23-7. "I'm a better wrestler and better in the clinches. I'd like to think I'm better in every aspect of the fight.

"He's got a little bit of reach on me. He's a southpaw, and it's an advantage being a southpaw and fighting a righty because he would be more used to it."

Saturday's match will be fought at light heavyweight. The jump in weight will probably benefit both in conditioning because it eliminates late-weight cutting. Henderson blamed the cut for getting tired and losing in round two against Silva last year. Henderson had won the first round, making him the last fighter to win a round over the current No. 1-ranked pound-for-pound fighter, before slowing down.

With several days to spare, Henderson already is under the light heavyweight limit of 205 pounds, hovering between 200-202. Franklin has an easy cut of less than 10 pounds.

"I really don't know how much effect it has on me in the octagon," said Franklin, 26-3, a former high school math teacher in Cincinnati, who started his career as a light heavyweight. "When I have to cut to 185, I feel a little lethargic. It takes an effect on my body, but the advantage is, I'm facing smaller opponents. I feel much better the week of the fight at 205, but the tradeoff is I'm facing guys who are a little bigger than me."

That isn't the case with Henderson, who has given up size in the majority of fights in his career, as he gained his first taste of stardom in Japan in 2000 in winning a 32-man open weight class tournament in which he won close decisions over the likes of Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira and a then-heavyweight Renato "Babalu" Sobral.

"I've never felt the need to cut weight," he said. "It's a mental thing, but I've never felt like I'm the smaller guy when I'm out there fighting.

"I've never felt weak and felt I couldn't do what I needed to do to my opponent, so I'd rather not cut to 185 if I don't have to. But the weight cut's not bad for me."

Franklin, who has gained size to compete with bigger fighters at 205, also really doesn't figure how a fight with Bisping at middleweight advances his career where the next goal looks to be a light heavyweight title shot.

Henderson, on the other hand, doesn't seem to have a problem moving up or down in weight. He was, after all, the only person in major MMA history to simultaneously hold titles in two weight classes (after beating Wanderlei Silva for the light heavyweight title in 2007).

"I view it as it gives you more opportunities for more and different match-ups, that if I'm stuck in one weight class, you wouldn't have a chance to see," he said.

Feb 7, 2006
UFC 93 IN-DEPTH: FRANKLIN VS. HENDERSON

In what was a dream match for many fans throughout the years, Rich Franklin, a former UFC middleweight champion, and Dan Henderson, the former Pride welterweight champion, will finally meet at UFC 93 in Dublin, Ireland. But while much of their fame comes at fighting at 185 pounds, the two warriors will meet at 205 pounds instead with the winner going on to coach opposite Michael Bisping on the latest installment of the "Ultimate Fighter".

The match-up has been dissected numerous times over the years when the two fighters lived in different promotions, but the time is now and Rich Franklin vs. Dan Henderson is finally going to happen.

STRIKING

This is a strength for both fighters in this bout, but in much different ways. Rich Franklin has shown to have tremendous striking skills in all of his bouts, with the exception of his losses to 185-pound king Anderson Silva. Franklin is very technically sound when striking with his opponents, and the Cincinnati native has no problem letting his hands and feet go.

In many fights, Franklin has used his superior kickboxing to out point or knock out a great number of top fighters including Nate Quarry, the late Evan Tanner, and Yushin Okami. The one knock on Franklin's stand-up game would be his style of throwing looping hooks that sometime leave him open to take damage down the middle, but he is very well rounded when throwing punches, kicks and knees from the clinch.

As for Dan Henderson, the Team Quest member has always worked to break away from the notion that he's a wrestler with decent stand-up. His knockout of Wanderlei Silva in early 2007 left many fans with their jaws on the ground after he landed a thunderous right hand that put the Brazilian down and out for good.

Henderson's right hand is by far his most dangerous weapon, and he will throw it with reckless abandon in almost any fight. While he is not nearly as technically sound as Franklin on the feet, his right hand could be the great equalizer in this fight if his opponent isn't careful.

Franklin has the edge standing though, just based on overall skill and technique, but he needs to avoid any kind of flurry that Henderson might throw looking for that knockout shot.

GRAPPLING AND SUBMISSIONS

On the grappling side of things, Dan Henderson will have a decided advantage when it comes to wrestling, as he is a former NCAA championship and Olympic level wrestler. Henderson has shown tremendous strength when working his opponent's over with his wrestling and clinch game.

Henderson has always been seen as a freakishly strong fighter, who has in the past been able to use that to keep opponents down or basically wherever he wants to put them. His grappling skills have developed tremendously over the years as well, but he has fell victim in the past to a few submissions. The California native works hard to improve his submission game with every fight, but his is more of a defensive technique as he rarely will go for any kind of hold that would end a fight.

Rich Franklin has worked for many, many years with Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu black belt, Jorge Gurgel, in his school in Cincinnati, Ohio. Franklin has submitted a number of his opponents, and also has a tremendous ability to fend off submissions as he showed in fights against Travis Lutter and Yushin Okami.

If the fight goes to the ground, it will likely be Henderson that takes it there, but Franklin has the edge when it comes to submissions, although he may have a tough time catching a very game and veteran fighter like Dan Henderson.

OCTAGON CONTROL

This is a category that will really only be defined by which fighter is able to control where the fight ends up. If Franklin does a good job of peppering away at Henderson with jabs and other punches, he will likely keep the Team Quest fighter off base for much of the fight. Franklin has the power and technique to knock Henderson out, he just needs to work from the outside, while moving away from the dangerous right hand of his opponent.

Dan Henderson is always aggressive though and shows no fear in any fight, so he may have a better presence all around when it comes to Octagon control. He has always had a dangerous clinch and wrestling game to back him up whenever needed, and if he can cut the cage off and make Franklin avoid him then he will have the advantage in this area as well.

CONDITIONING

This is a major factor in every bout, but if past experience shows anything, both Franklin and Henderson have tremendous conditioning. While fighting as a champion or for the championship, Franklin has fought in five title matches, which obviously put his conditioning to the test as he prepped for a five-round fight in each contest.

Henderson is no slouch in this area either. As a Pride fighter, Henderson had to always prepare for a treacherous 10-minute first round in almost every fight, and then two more five-minute rounds in many of his bouts. Also as a wrestlter, Henderson prides himself on conditioning when heading into battle.

The true determining factor in this fight, as it is only scheduled for three rounds, is to see if one of these fighters can keep up such a feverish pace that it does actually tire out the other one. Franklin could us an elusive striking plan that forces Henderson to chase him, just waiting for a big shot to land (much like Rashad Evans did against Chuck Liddell) and if he baits him in well enough, Henderson could find himself in trouble cardio wise.

The same can be said for Dan Henderson though if he can continuously take Franklin down during the fight and make him work that much harder to get out form underneath him. There is little doubt that Franklin will not want to spend that much time under Henderson with his wrestling pedigree, so he could get tired just working to stand back up.

The overall conditioning for either fighter should not be a factor in this fight, but if one can expose the other in the endurance category it could make all the difference in this fight.

THE "X" FACTOR

With this fight taking place in Ireland, the travel could play havoc for a number of fighters on this card that have never had to fly overseas, or deal with a major time difference when getting ready to fight. Fortunately for Franklin and Henderson, both have traveled a number of times for fights. Franklin is one of the few fighters that is making a return trip to Ireland so he may have a little bit more awareness as far as foods and nutrition to bring with him or to pick up when fueling himself for the fight.

It could be argued that Dan Henderson actually has more to fight for in this bout, than Rich Franklin does. It's no secret that Henderson wants to get back to another shot at UFC middleweight champion, Anderson Silva, and if he beats Franklin, he gets a coaching slot on the new season of the "Ultimate Fighter". Following that stint he would then fight popular British fighter, Michael Bisping, and the winner would almost be guaranteed a title shot.

Franklin has been there and done that twice against Anderson Silva, with similar results both times. If he beats Henderson, Franklin has never sounded ultra enthusiastic about coaching another season of the "Ultimate Fighter" and a fight against Michael Bisping would take place at middleweight, which is the division he just left behind. Motivation wise, it would seem Henderson is fighting for more in this one.

KEYS TO SUCCESS

Both fighters coming into this bout have been on the biggest stages, in the biggest fights, so ultimately it will come down to skill in the cage and not much else.

For Franklin to win he needs to be smart when standing on his feet with Henderson by throwing a lot of jabs to use his reach, while not being afraid to keep him off balance with a few leg or body kicks. The former math teacher has to know his danger from Henderson standing will come by the way of a big overhand right, so if he can circle away from that side and make his opponent come after him, Franklin should be able to frustrate him while landing good punches of his own.

Henderson needs to close the distance in this fight, plain and simple. Whether he intends on standing or going to the ground with Franklin, it's Henderson's ability to stay close to Franklin and not give him any range that will be the key to his victory. If Henderson can take the center of the Octagon early and the move to trap Franklin against the cage either in the clinch or simply by a takedown, he will show his advantages in this fight.

Henderson has the ability to take anybody in MMA down to the ground, but will he have it in his head that he wants to stand and trade with Franklin, looking for that knockout blow? The Team Quest fighter may be better served to take Franklin down early, and then make him think about the wrestling game so the next time Henderson ducks for a takedown and Franklin is looking to sprawl, he could unload that right hand and end the fight right then.

Both fighters have a tremendous amount of skill and big fight experience, that they are simply too evenly matched to say anyone has a clear advantage going in. The fans will be the real winners when Franklin and Henderson square

Feb 7, 2006
UFC 93 WEIGH-INS LIVE ON MMAWEEKLY

Having been to Belfast, Northern Ireland last year, the Ultimate Fighting Championship on Saturday heads a little further south to Dublin, Ireland for UFC 93.

The event is headlined by a light heavyweight showdown between Rich Franklin and Dan Henderson. The winner of the bout will coach opposite Michael Bisping on Season 9 of The Ultimate Fighter. Also featured on the main card is a rematch between Mark Coleman and Mauricio "Shogun" Rua, plus an expected slugfest between two of the promotion's most exciting fighters, welterweights Chris Lytle and Marcus Davis.

Friday at 8 p.m. PT / 11 p.m. ET, the fighters from UFC 93 will step on the scales to officially weigh-in for their Saturday night bouts. For those of you not in Ireland, you can watch a video stream of the UFC 93 weigh-ins live on MMAWeekly.com, courtesy of the UFC.

The UFC also recently added a new feature to its video player. There is now a tab that you can click on at the top of the video player to listen to coverage of the UFC 93 weigh-ins in Spanish.

Again, the fighters will begin to step on the scale at about 8 a.m. PT / 11 p.m. ET. Watch the LIVE stream of the UFC 93 weigh-ins on MMAWeekly.com, courtesy of the UFC

Feb 7, 2006
Franklin, Henderson on Target for UFC 93

The match fans once thought unlikely has cleared its final hurdle, as former UFC middleweight champion Rich Franklin checked in at 203 pounds for his main event showdown with former Pride titleholder Dan Henderson (202) at UFC 93 on Saturday at the O2 Arena in Dublin, Ireland.

The 18 other fighters on the card -- including UFC hall of famer Mark Coleman (206) and Mauricio “Shogun” Rua (205) -- also made weight without incident at Friday’s official weigh-in.

Franklin (24-3), despite all his critics, has been defeated by only two men -- reigning middleweight champion Anderson Silva and the unbeaten Lyoto Machida -- in his nine-year career. The 34-year-old has won back-to-back fights against Travis Lutter and Matt Hamill. His latest conquest, a third-round technical knockout against Hamill at UFC 88, marked his return to the light heavyweight division.

A two-time Olympian and one of mixed martial arts’ most decorated competitors, Henderson (23-7) has never been knocked out in 30 career bouts. The 37-year-old stopped a two-fight losing streak with a unanimous decision victory against dangerous Brazilian grappler Rousimar Palhares at UFC 88 in September. Still the only man to hold major titles in two weight classes simultaneously, Henderson owns high-profile wins against Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, Wanderlei Silva, Murilo Bustamante and Vitor Belfort, among others.

The rematch pairing Coleman with Rua will support the Franklin-Henderson main event, as the UFC heads overseas for the first time in 2009.

The 44-year-old Coleman has not appeared inside the Octagon in nine years. He holds a controversial victory against Rua, who dislocated his elbow and was unable to continue in their match at Pride 31 in 2006. A one-time Olympian and former NCAA national wrestling champion, Coleman (15-8) last fought at Pride 32 in October 2006 when he succumbed to a second-round armbar against the incomparable Fedor Emelianenko. He has dropped three consecutive fights inside the Octagon.

Rua (16-3), meanwhile, seems to have recovered from two reconstructive knee surgeries that interrupted a brilliant career. The 27-year-old Brazilian, once heralded as MMA’s premier light heavyweight, submitted to a rear-naked choke from Forrest Griffin at UFC 76 in September 2007. That defeat snapped a four-fight winning streak.

UFC 93 Weigh-In Results

Rich Franklin (203) vs. Dan Henderson (202)
Mark Coleman (206) vs. Mauricio "Shogun" Rua (205)
Alan Belcher (186) vs. Denis Kang (184)
Jeremy Horn (185) vs. Rousimar Palhares (184)
Marcus Davis (169) vs. Chris Lytle (171)
Martin Kampmann (168) vs. Alexandre Barros (170)
Eric Schafer (205) vs. Antonio Mendes (204)
Tomasz Drwal (203) vs. Ivan Serati (204)
Thomas Egan (169) vs. John Hathaway (171)
Dennis Siver (155) vs. Nate Mohr (156)