Who Here Trains?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 6, 2002
Amazingly, I don't think there has ever been a thread of people who actually train. I know Chris used to box, Duke (chizzled forum) trains MMA, and then myself. Anyone else care to chime in and share?

I did Shotokan since I was about 3 till about 17. Then due to college, work, etc I just kept to the gym and working the bag at home. Just back back into boxing a couple years ago (now 28), ditched the boxing because it lacked defensive instructions (the trainers would most focus on offense). Just started Muay Thai today. Damn these people have some serious stamina. I thought I held up well due to swimming and boxing, but even the Muay Thai chicks can outwork my rate.

Maybe I'm just not used to the form and it's hard to break old habits, but I really like the fight team and I am going back tomorrow.

So, anyone else still or used to train?

Dec 9, 2005
Been doing boxing and muay thai for a few years, all of the gyms I've trained at have offered both. (bad mix, IMO). Recently started getting more into grappling (mostly no gi BJJ/submission wrestling) in addition to the two.

I've done a few smokers, but in all honesty I hate getting hit, so never had the urge to actually take it past that and go amateur or anything.

Had the benefit of working with some awesome trainers/coaches along the way. Right now, I'm training about 4 or 5 times a week.

Aug 31, 2003
www.ebay.com
I haven't done anything such a long time. I boxed when I was real young (through jr high) and I wrestled for a year in high school but I was terrible at it and it fucked with me playing baseball, which was the sport that I could actually play well.

May 6, 2002
Been doing boxing and muay thai for a few years, all of the gyms I've trained at have offered both. (bad mix, IMO).
I agree. I had problems adjusting today. Too much outside fighting. If someone has longer reach my only chance is to get inside, but the coach wanted us to stay outside, basically giving me zero chance unless I feel like jumping in and out all day. I came from a boxing gym, to a muay thai gym. I'll get the hang of it.

Apr 20, 2005
i just started kung fu. right now i am learning how to kick and knee grapplers in the face as they go for a take down

Jan 7, 2004
I trained BJJ for a short bit a few years ago and plan to go back some day. And just a few months doing Karate when I was 8, which was 20 years ago.

Feb 12, 2004
I train. Usually get in 5 or 6 days a week.

Muay Thai - did 3 years of Muay Thai. Trained at fairtex with Ganyao and Jongsanan. Before Fairtex, I used to train with dudes from world team USA. Also, spent some time with Bunkerd at fnf for a short while. Still at Fairtex, but not going as much as before cause I'm focused on my jiu jitsu.

Boxing - Trained under James Buggs from Oaklands kings gym. Dude is a solid boxing instructor.

Brazilian jiu jitsu -This is my love and I recently returned to it after a 3 year hiatus. I started at Charles Gracie and am now trainining with Carlos Sapao(Ralph Gracie black belt). I've een doing BJJ for a long time. I plan to go down to Brazil, live there for a couple months and do nothing but train bjj.

Judo - Trained under Willy Cahill(Olympic Judo trainer) in San Bruno for a lil bit.

Wrestling - Wrestled at skyline college for a few semesters and picked up a lot of shit from grappling over the years.

Overall I've dedicated the last 7 years of my life to training. I plan on getting my Black belt in bjj and opening my own school here in the peninsula one day. I got more stuff like kyokushin with world oyama and other various martial artist and fighters Ive met and trained with, but I'm on my phone and typing sucks!

Jul 21, 2002
Oklahoma
www.youtube.com
there's kinda been threads about this before. Mobsta408 trained with Robert Guerrero for awhile he said.

My marriage is on the ropes because I'm so busy as it is and I have 2 kids under 3 years old. If I get the chance though, I'd like to open my own gym if it's here in Oklahoma or if it's back in Cali then I'd like to get back to training (other people) at a reputable gym.

Jul 21, 2002
Oklahoma
www.youtube.com
Just back back into boxing a couple years ago (now 28), ditched the boxing because it lacked defensive instructions (the trainers would most focus on offense).

Maybe I'm just not used to the form and it's hard to break old habits, but I really like the fight team and I am going back tomorrow.

So, anyone else still or used to train?

Most people don't like the way I train unless they are serious because I start with footwork. It saves me a lot of trouble by finding out how serious they are though too. But it all starts from balance and footwork and that's like 33% of boxing right there. That's your offense and your defense, how you control the pace of the fight and at what distance. People just wanna get in there and hit something and build bad habits. I don't play that crap.

Feb 23, 2006
i been training my little brother and his homies.i have a punching bag,speed bag,head gear,sparring gloves and punch mitts.....i dont know much i just show them little combos.how to trow the hooks uppercuts simple shit let them spar i seen a difference 2 my little brother fucked up 2 foolz at the same time the otherday that rushed him, he told me i hit them wit the 1.2 a jab and straight right i was landing them like nothing they ran off bleeding lol...i wanted to ask mobsta408 if he has the plug on boxing equipment i seen robert guerrero is sponsord by ringside

Jun 12, 2003
there's kinda been threads about this before. Mobsta408 trained with Robert Guerrero for awhile he said.

My marriage is on the ropes because I'm so busy as it is and I have 2 kids under 3 years old. If I get the chance though, I'd like to open my own gym if it's here in Oklahoma or if it's back in Cali then I'd like to get back to training (other people) at a reputable gym.
yea i trained for 8 months when robert had his gym here in gilroy..shit was dope sparred a few times...but i always learn things from ghost cuz we cuzn and we chill a lot...

May 6, 2002
Most people don't like the way I train unless they are serious because I start with footwork. It saves me a lot of trouble by finding out how serious they are though too. But it all starts from balance and footwork and that's like 33% of boxing right there. That's your offense and your defense, how you control the pace of the fight and at what distance. People just wanna get in there and hit something and build bad habits. I don't play that crap.
Ya footwork is key. Learning both orthodox, southpaw, circling, and how to re-establish your lead foot, etc. A lot of it are in the knees as well. I know what you are saying though, most people don't want to start with that. Which is understandable as well if they are new.

Anyone with any type of experience would gladly go along with your game plan though.

Feb 3, 2006
I hit the heavy bag and mitt work three times a week, I spar once week, and weight training five days a week. I'm a bouncer for special events most weekends, so I get the test the skills every now and then.

Feb 12, 2004
Any instructor NOT working on the fundamentals, especially with beginners, is a joke. BTW the worst part of training is INJURIES. These are the injuries me and my brother have accumulated over the years:

torn meniscus x2
torn MCL x4
torn ACL
torn bicep tendon
seperated shoulder x3
broken finger
broken toe
hyperextended elbow
countless bloody lips, strains, lacerations, bruises and scars
lil bit of cauliflower ear

My brother is only 21 and he's already accumulated so many injuries(especially knee) that he's pretty much done training for the rest of his life unless he wants to keep having surgeries.

I'm dealing with grade 2 torn MCL as we speak.

Feb 3, 2006
Any instructor NOT working on the fundamentals, especially with beginners, is a joke. BTW the worst part of training is INJURIES. These are the injuries me and my brother have accumulated over the years:

torn meniscus x2
torn MCL x4
torn ACL
torn bicep tendon
seperated shoulder x3
broken finger
broken toe
hyperextended elbow
countless bloody lips, strains, lacerations, bruises and scars
lil bit of cauliflower ear

My brother is only 21 and he's already accumulated so many injuries(especially knee) that he's pretty much done training for the rest of his life unless he wants to keep having surgeries.

I'm dealing with grade 2 torn MCL as we speak.
If you're training hard then you will get banged up 4sho. I stay getting hurt in my old age. Nothing as serious as you thou Brown other then my bad necks. You and your Bro keep up the good work.

May 6, 2002
I'm actually pretty shot out right now. The problem is I have always had the "heal on its own" mentality and in the long run it just makes things worse. My right knee is blasted and can give out during sparring, my right pinky was broken and healed at a 45 degree slant, and I just bruised my knuckle yesterday and can barely clinch a fist.

Like my lady would always say. You go to the gym, train, fight, and all you are doing is getting weaker! Ha, she's right in a way.