WHICH IS MORE IMPORTANT THE ARTIST OR THE PRODUCER??

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Nov 23, 2006
which person really makes the song...ofcourse rappers will say rappers and producers will say producers....would you rather listen to an instrumental album or and acapella album...i feel the beats is more important....as a producer i dont think rappers and the listeners really understand the creativity, time, and effort that go into making a good beat...ya sometimes people get lucky and make a hit in 10 mins.....ofcourse i dont rap so i dont fully understand what goes into writing a song,lyrics, flow etc.

how yall feel

May 10, 2002
bambamslapz said:
ur right...but sometimes they overshadow each other
To the listener, one may dominate the other on any given song but you still need both unless you want to listen to Spoken Word or an Instrumental

ThaG

Sicc OG
Jun 30, 2005
to make really great music you need both

but still, you can tolerate a track with a great beat and not that greta MC on it, while the opposite is not always true

May 10, 2002
ThaG said:
but still, you can tolerate a track with a great beat and not that greta MC on it, while the opposite is not always true
Depends on who's listening though. Some people like beats more, some people like lyrics more, some people want to hear both sound good together.

RB20

Sicc OG
Aug 22, 2003
I think both are equally imortant. But it depends on the mood

Sometimes I can listen to lyrics on a song where the beat is horrendous.

But I can almost tolerate a wack rapper on a good beat.

Aug 20, 2004
MrPeete said:
Neither is more important than the other. You need both to create the song
If you want to make a hit record and get on MTV and the radio, all you need is a dope or catchy beat (and maybe a catchy hook). Lyrics mean next to ZERO when it comes to makin hit records these days, it seems.

Dec 12, 2006
the producer, 100%. It all starts with the production, yes the artoist is a very important part of a hit, the producer plays a much bigger part. Just imagine your favorite artist spittin over wack beats, would they still be your favorite artist?

Apr 25, 2002
That's an easy question, the producer.

Don't make it more complicated than it is, like BamBam said simply ask yourself would you rather listen to an acapella album or an instrumental album???????

Nov 26, 2006
It depends really because you have these rappers that can and do make their own beats and own music. The producer is only there to say things like "Hey your not saying that right do it over again, or make your voice harder, keep up the tempo" stuff like that.

ThaG

Sicc OG
Jun 30, 2005
I have to admit:

1. beats
2. flow
3. lyrics

Even if you have the tightest lyrics ever, if you deliver them over some weak beats with some boring flows, it won't be listenable

I know it's presitigious to claim you listen rap for the lyrics but that's not true for most of us; especially when most of us started listening to rap when we were around 10 years old or younger when you're not really able to understand some deep lyrics so lyrics probably weren't the thing that first made you listen to this music

May 10, 2002
xpanther206 said:
That's an easy question, the producer.

Don't make it more complicated than it is, like BamBam said simply ask yourself would you rather listen to an acapella album or an instrumental album???????
Again, this is different for everybody.

I'd listen to a Nas acapella album before I'd listen to a Nitty instrumental album and I'm a producer.

Apr 25, 2002
They are both important in different ways. Which one is more influential to a project depends. In some cases they're equals but ultimately it's the artist that is in front of the public eye.

Nov 10, 2006
If young women go out wanting to dance, what is most important to them?
If young men go out wanting to hook up with young women, are they more interested in wanting to see hotties dancing, or sitting down with a beer and trying to decipher lyrics?
If someone is depressed, are they more interested in relating to another person through lyrics, or relating to an instrumental?