Where my Jazz fans at?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

Palmer

RIP SouthernComfort
Apr 10, 2006
SEAHAWKS!!!
I love the Roots, and I know they in to the whole Jazz/Hip-Hop thing, so I'm looking for some artists that have they same Jazz style just without the hip-hop side. I'm totally feeling that song "One Shine" on the Illadelph Halflife album. I've been all about calm relaxing type shit lately and I'm looking to expand my knowledge of Jazz. Thanks in advance.

Jul 9, 2002
check out Sweetback if you looking for some smooth grooves. The first Sweetback cd is self titled and the better or their 2.
They are better known as Sade's band.

Roy Hargrove has a cd that has rappers on it. It is "The RH Factor: Hard Groove" Q-tip, D-Angelo, Common are featured on the cd.

Sicc OG
Sep 12, 2002
I'M WAITING TO SEE WHAT PHONK BETA IS GOING TO TO DO WITH HIS JAZZ CD THAT DROPPED TODAY. DOES ANYBODY HAVE ANY INFO ON THIS PROJECT?

Sicc OG
Sep 12, 2002
XxtraMannish said:
I was gonna talk shit, then I realized this thread had nothin to do with basketball.
LOL
GO TO YOUR ROOM PLEASE..

DONT TALK BACC GOTDAMMIT JUST GET YA ASS IN THERE REAL FAST LIKE........

Feb 13, 2006
just purchase the whole blue note catalogue.

but as for artists... aside from the essential miles davis, john coltrane and thelonius monk, get some yusef lateef, lou donaldson, grant green, bobby humphrey, chick corea (as already stated), donald byrd, charles mingus, art blakey... just too many to name.

Palmer

RIP SouthernComfort
Apr 10, 2006
SEAHAWKS!!!
moves said:

but as for artists... aside from the essential miles davis, john coltrane and thelonius monk, get some yusef lateef, lou donaldson, grant green, bobby humphrey, chick corea (as already stated), donald byrd, charles mingus, art blakey... just too many to name.
Damn moves, thanks for coming through with a gang a artists. Mad props. I'll listen to the ones posted and get at you about some more.

May 15, 2002
moves said:

I'll vouch for Thelonius Monk, too. Coltrane and Davis are the kings of course (but I still don't actively listen to them).

Apr 25, 2002
Moves hit the nail on the classic legends of jazz.
Najee is a great smooth jazz artist he redid for the love of you by isley brothers. He does a lot of current rnb ballads and adds a twist to it. Waymen Tisdale ex sacaramento kings player, is sweet on the guitar. theres a group called fourplay, they did a nice rendition of between the sheets by isley brothers their music is clean. Dave Coz, Chris Botti,mindi abair, norman brown,marc antoine,jazzmasters, praful, play it to the bone, euge groove, peter white, richard elliott, boney james etc...

Palmer

RIP SouthernComfort
Apr 10, 2006
SEAHAWKS!!!
Alright, I've listened to a lot of the artists that were mentioned on this thread. Now hopefully one of you can help me find a jazz trio that's just a soft/emotional horn, a crazy/technical bass, and a simple drum. Most shit has a piano or something else. I just want a simple sound consisting of what I mentioned. Any help?

Apr 25, 2002
About 80-90% of the time Im listening to jazz nowadays..aslong as its funky.

Herbie Hancock
The Headhunters
Lonnie Liston Smith
Marcus Miller
Ramsey Lewis
Grover Washington JR
Roy Ayers Obiquity
Stanley Clarke etc etc etc

All the OG funksta's that someway influenced alot of music we listen to today.