When will white people stop making movies like Avatar?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 9, 2002
Whether people want to admit or not, or want to recognize it, this movie has the "white man helps out color people" vibe to it, period.

People dont find it strange that Kevin Costner was the only white man to help the Native's "defeat" his own kind and save them? Or that the Last Mohican was WHITE? Or that the Last Samurai was WHITE? Are you fuckin SERIOUS? Both movies, a white man defects, and saves the day. Yes, becuase without their help, they were helpless.

Im not saying i DON'T enjoy the movies being talked about, but to deny that these underlying tones DON'T exist is absolutely retarded. They ARE there, and in plain fuckin sight to.

Nov 24, 2003
Whether people want to admit or not, or want to recognize it, this movie has the "white man helps out color people" vibe to it, period.

People dont find it strange that Kevin Costner was the only white man to help the Native's "defeat" his own kind and save them? Or that the Last Mohican was WHITE? Or that the Last Samurai was WHITE? Are you fuckin SERIOUS? Both movies, a white man defects, and saves the day. Yes, becuase without their help, they were helpless.

Im not saying i DON'T enjoy the movies being talked about, but to deny that these underlying tones DON'T exist is absolutely retarded. They ARE there, and in plain fuckin sight to.

At the time, you gotta look at what one of the main objectives behind those movies is. The directors/producers/writers aren't concerning themselves with challenging stereotypes and creating a catalyst for social progression in society. Would the movies have been as financially successful if the hero was Asian?

Some of the movie buffs can probably answer this much better than I can, but do other cultures make movies with this bias, or is it predominantly a white/American thing? Does Bollywood make "Indian helps out Filipinos in need" movies?

May 9, 2002
At the time, you gotta look at what one of the main objectives behind those movies is. The directors/producers/writers aren't concerning themselves with challenging stereotypes and creating a catalyst for social progression in society.
And you know this how?

Ever thought that maybe it is a subconscious thing? Many movie writers and directors subconsciously put things/direct things in movies that directly reflect how they feel, even if they may not even realize it. Its just like any other human characteristic.

Apr 25, 2002
From my understanding of what I’ve read from interviews with James Cameron he intentionally wrote the story this way and with as simplistic a plot as possible because he wanted to appeal to the largest number of people he could with something they found familiar and easy to swallow with as little thinking as possible. I took from that he doesn't think very highly of the film going consumer's intelligence or taste.

Maybe I’m an idiot too for paying to see the movie when I knew better. Maybe it helps that I didn’t like it?

I tend to try at least to be more hopeful about people, but it is pretty hard to argue with his formula for catering to the lowest level possible at least when you measure a film’s success only by box office take.

Nov 24, 2003

I don't know this. I am speculating. Since movies are a profit generating business, and the aim of a profit generating business is to maximize profits, it stands to reason that writers/producers/directors are conscious of and motivated by what will make them more or less money.

Ever thought that maybe it is a subconscious thing? Many movie writers and directors subconsciously put things/direct things in movies that directly reflect how they feel, even if they may not even realize it. Its just like any other human characteristic.
Yeah I have thought about the possibility that it is a subconscious thing, and in that regard to some degree I am sure it is. The reality of the directors (or whomever) is based on their perceptions, so those perception of reality are going to be reflected in what they do.

However, having a subconscious bias or perception or whatever doesn't negate the ability to also consciously take a film in the same direction for different reason. A director can subconsciously gravitate towards a white savior because of his subconscious bias/perception/motivation, while at the same time consciously following the same path for financial reasons. His reasons need not be mutually exclusive.

Dec 29, 2008
i think it's funny that people are getting offended in the thread when Im just stating the obvious. i think a lot of the people in the thread are dense.

May 9, 2002
I don't know this. I am speculating. Since movies are a profit generating business, and the aim of a profit generating business is to maximize profits, it stands to reason that writers/producers/directors are conscious of and motivated by what will make them more or less money.

Yeah I have thought about the possibility that it is a subconscious thing, and in that regard to some degree I am sure it is. The reality of the directors (or whomever) is based on their perceptions, so those perception of reality are going to be reflected in what they do.

However, having a subconscious bias or perception or whatever doesn't negate the ability to also consciously take a film in the same direction for different reason. A director can subconsciously gravitate towards a white savior because of his subconscious bias/perception/motivation, while at the same time consciously following the same path for financial reasons. His reasons need not be mutually exclusive.
Possibly. However, subconscious > conscious. No matter how hard we try, we, as humans, can NOT escape our subconscious. Thats all I was getting at.

Feb 7, 2006
Oh take that shit to Al Sharpton.

Why does every blue/green/purple/magenta/aqua-seafoam green motherfucker in a movie have to represent black people? Jesus fuckin' christ maybe they're Asian or Italian or Spanish etc. IF ANY OF THAT AT ALL. Like James Cameron is somehow a voice for minorities all over the world, peddling his wares to the white man in a devious scheme to make millions and fund a huge minority army.

Kick rocks with that bullshit.

THEY'RE FUCKING BLUE AND THEY HAVE ASIAN ANIME FEATURES.
They're based off of Native Americans and aboriginal Africans you fucktard... ever heard of the word allegory? If they were just an alien life form why are they humanoids? Oh, I know why, cuz they are based on humans and particular human societies at that dumb ass.

Feb 7, 2006
At the time, you gotta look at what one of the main objectives behind those movies is. The directors/producers/writers aren't concerning themselves with challenging stereotypes and creating a catalyst for social progression in society. Would the movies have been as financially successful if the hero was Asian?

Some of the movie buffs can probably answer this much better than I can, but do other cultures make movies with this bias, or is it predominantly a white/American thing? Does Bollywood make "Indian helps out Filipinos in need" movies?
For the token few who have crossed over (will, Denzel, etc.) Minority main characters, and minority films supposedly don't sell as well worldwide or domestically according to a few producers I have spoken with. But this can be broken (this example is gender-related) for instance, Ridley Scott casting Sigourney Weaver in 'Alien' sort of acted as a media buttress for the ongoing feminist and womens' rights movement, and had s huge implications cinema wise.

Foreign cinema usually does not have this imperialist/colonialist good hearted defector narrative. First of all, this narrative is very Hollywood, second the countries that have the social memory to pen these sort of colonialist/imperialist meet aboriginal scripts approach the issue subtlety. Bollywood, Nollywood, and Hong Kong haven't explored the privileged, exploiting class/group saves the poor class/group from their destruction really. THe reasons are political (not giving light to the countries marginalized groups), and that these ethnic Hollywoods must make what caters to their audience as well, and untouchables and Uighirs (sp?) don't.

Nov 14, 2002
I never really thought about that because I've never seen those movies. I guess I tend to avoid them. Who wants to watch Tom Cruise be a samurai?

Nov 24, 2003
For the token few who have crossed over (will, Denzel, etc.) Minority main characters, and minority films supposedly don't sell as well worldwide or domestically according to a few producers I have spoken with. But this can be broken (this example is gender-related) for instance, Ridley Scott casting Sigourney Weaver in 'Alien' sort of acted as a media buttress for the ongoing feminist and womens' rights movement, and had s huge implications cinema wise.

Foreign cinema usually does not have this imperialist/colonialist good hearted defector narrative. First of all, this narrative is very Hollywood, second the countries that have the social memory to pen these sort of colonialist/imperialist meet aboriginal scripts approach the issue subtlety. Bollywood, Nollywood, and Hong Kong haven't explored the privileged, exploiting class/group saves the poor class/group from their destruction really. THe reasons are political (not giving light to the countries marginalized groups), and that these ethnic Hollywoods must make what caters to their audience as well, and untouchables and Uighirs (sp?) don't.

Hell-of-a answer!

Mar 9, 2005
A bit of insider help never goes astray - to defeat your enemy you have to know your enemy, and who knows your enemy better than the enemy himself?

Sure, most of the men who single handedly help the minority group defeat the enemy are white instead of black, latino, asian etc., but are they making a point regarding the 'helplessness' of minority groups, or more accurately making the observation that the agressors are almost always caucasian? Should white people feel good after watching these movies because one of their 'race' saved the day, even though this one caucasian wouldn't have had to 'save the day' if a bunch of other caucasians didn't start shit in the first place? Maybe it makes them feel good because they can deceive themselves into believing that at least ONE member of their race isn't a fuckhole?

May 9, 2002
A bit of insider help never goes astray - to defeat your enemy you have to know your enemy, and who knows your enemy better than the enemy himself?

Sure, most of the men who single handedly help the minority group defeat the enemy are white instead of black, latino, asian etc., but are they making a point regarding the 'helplessness' of minority groups, or more accurately making the observation that the agressors are almost always caucasian? Should white people feel good after watching these movies because one of their 'race' saved the day, even though this one caucasian wouldn't have had to 'save the day' if a bunch of other caucasians didn't start shit in the first place? Maybe it makes them feel good because they can deceive themselves into believing that at least ONE member of their race isn't a fuckhole?
AKA side-stepping GUILT.