When do you think Dago will blow up?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 25, 2002
www.getyourfinancesright.com
I can go so many ways with this topic, but when do ya'll REALISTICALLY think Dago is going to blow up, or IF EVER. Every city in the country has tight rappers, and everybody thinks their city is going to be NEXT (just look at every Murder Dog when they spotlight a City. All the rappers say their City is next).

But when will Dago get the respect to blow up. We have tight rappers, but it's WAY more to it than that. We're one of the only major cities that doesn't have a gold or platinum artist, but we have the talent, and I hate that we always need LA's help, but that's how it is.

Honestly, I think it will be 3 to 5 yrs from now, and if it don't happen during my era, believe me I ain't mad, as long as I was one of the leaders to set the foundation for the young niggaz, and to have people even checcin' for Dago rappers, and plus get some money out of it, I'm cool.

And when you answer this, try to look at it as someone that's not from Dago. Like an outsider, because it's A LOT of people that don't think Dago is ghetto (like it's all beaches and palm trees), or have real gangstas or mc's. And that's a perception of a lot of people, and we have to get that respect, but that's what's going to take time. How are we going to get the buying public to say, "them Dago niggaz got heat", and I ain't talkin' about what other RAPPERS have to say, cuz I never take another rapper's opinion of another rapper serious. NEVER. I'm talkin' about fans. The talent is there, but I don't think the respect is there as far as us bein' gangstas or real mc's, even from cities in Cali, like LA and Oakland don't REALLY respect Dago. But like I said, that's what I think it's going to take time, and the leaders are setting the foundation right now for the future Dago stars that will appear in the next 3 to 5 yrs, by individually gettin' that respect by spittin' real life shit.

I think we have to broaden our topics where niggaz everywhere can feel us. Not just crip and blood areas, and one way is comin' from a hustler's perspective. That's who has won in the game, the hustler rappers with a little intelligence, and game. Jay-Z, E-40, T.I., Biggie, Pac etc. Like when Pac said "I keep my mind on my money, money on my mind". Niggaz from EVERYWHERE felt that. I mean shit almost EVERY bay rapper be on some get money hustler shit, that's why at one point niggaz was feelin' them in the South, and still in the Midwest. You can still stic your bangin' in there, but bangin' ain't the fad that it used to be, so niggaz outta town ain't amazed by that shit anymore. Personally, I don't even listen to strictly bangin' rappers no more, cuz I grew up that way. I listen to the hustler rappers that motivate a nigga, and I don't care where their from. And that's what the Dago rappers have to do for people to feel us everywhere, and then we'll get the respect, and then the plaques. Give me some feedbac...1

C.S. Heat

mrtonguetwista

$$ Deep Pockets $$
Feb 6, 2003
If you or Mobstaz have a soundclick.com page, I can always link it up on our dubcnn.com site, so others can hear ya'll. Some artists don't even want to leave their "neck of the woods". I posted back in early January that I was gonna up to Jacksonville for Super Bowl and if anyone had any flyers,stickers,or posters to pass out up there to hit me up. I got about 3 replies from ppl I never heard of, but never recieved anything in mail. I was sure some SD ppl would hit me up esp. since they held the SB there a few years ago so they knew the amount of ppl there in town. I figure if one person gets ahold of your flyer and shows his friend and shows his friend etc...thats 3 ppl who now know about you that didnt know you yesterday...know what I'm saying.

mrtonguetwista

$$ Deep Pockets $$
Feb 6, 2003
I do have to say that SD artists do put in major work. It seems like SouthSanDago is posting almost bi-weekly on a new release at Fam Mart. I mean they seem just to drop out of the blue without anyone talking in advance about it. Nothing really decent has come out of LA area in awhile outside of the MC Eiht albums.

Apr 25, 2002
mrtonguetwista said:
If you or Mobstaz have a soundclick.com page, I can always link it up on our dubcnn.com site, so others can hear ya'll. Some artists don't even want to leave their "neck of the woods". I posted back in early January that I was gonna up to Jacksonville for Super Bowl and if anyone had any flyers,stickers,or posters to pass out up there to hit me up. I got about 3 replies from ppl I never heard of, but never recieved anything in mail. I was sure some SD ppl would hit me up esp. since they held the SB there a few years ago so they knew the amount of ppl there in town. I figure if one person gets ahold of your flyer and shows his friend and shows his friend etc...thats 3 ppl who now know about you that didnt know you yesterday...know what I'm saying.
I feel you, and you've always tried to help me and other Dago artist out, but it's bigger than just flyers. It's havin' that machine behind you to push, cuz if you just passed out flyers, and your album wasn't available in the stores in the area you're promoting, what's the use. Most artist don't have dist, because the demand isn't there, and it's a million reasons why the demand isn't there, that DON'T have anything to do with how tight your music is! We have to become better businessmen, and know how much to invest, and make a profit based on the fanbase you have. I've seen so many labels that I call "non-profit organizations" just in my city not even make their money bac, cuz they were tryin' to keep up with the majors spendin' on radio, promotion etc, and took a loss. The rap game is hype, and you need a lot of money to create hype. It's all about what you can make people believe whether it's true or not. Niggaz lie in their songs, about their sells etc, But when the dust settles who's going to have shit to show for their so-called rap career. Dennis, believe me I'm not tryin' to discredit your help. All promotion is good promotion, small or big, but I'm talkin' about Dago havin' platinum artist, cuz if your indie you gotta kind of focus on your fanbase, and let people hear about you, but if your on a major you can force it down people's throat, because if you give someone a flyer and if they haven't heard about you already, they're gonna write you off as another rapper comin' out, when it's already a million rappers. But like you said, the people that did hit you up on the offer, you never heard of them, because most likely they're new in the game, but artist that have been in the game know we have to cater to our fanbase, that's why indies places ads in murder dog instead of source, because the source readers aren't the indie's fanbase, so it's a waste of money and time. But don't get me wrong Dennis, I still appreciate any help you can give me. I'm just givin' you a little insight on how the people that didn't hit you up on the offer MAY be thinkin'. Thanks for the support homey. 1

mrtonguetwista

$$ Deep Pockets $$
Feb 6, 2003
It's all good. Never taking it as a downplay, just education.

What's the next major event out there that you might take video footage of? Last I heard I think you did the Puerto Rican fest at Mission Beach

Ya'll should consider hitting Miami for Memorial Day Weekend
www.blackbeachweek.com for more info

CoopDVill

Super Moderator
May 4, 2003
www.facebook.com
I think diego need some more unity everyone is working on there on movement there is no unity most kats in my opinion is acting HollyWood Before they even sell a 100 records. I Really dont think anyone is concerned with blowing diego up. just themselves and then the spotlight from them will shine on the city. just my opinion.

Apr 26, 2002
honestly c.s., take it from me, some1 who stays in atlanta, across tha map from diego: i hope i'm undershtandin this thread right; i don't think it has anythang to do with unity or diego, or la, or southern cali, or northern cali, or tha bay. ppl out here don't even kno there's a difference in southern cali music and northern cali. they jus look at it as "west coast" rap. like u said, it ain't about promoting, it's about tha machine. and i think that tha machine is tha media, the radio stations, bet, mtv. i think ever since pac died, they (the machine) started hatin on west coast. i remember growin up (i'm 29 now) in tha atl and we would hear west coast shit on tha radios. shit like luniz, i got five on it, shit like dj quik, tonight, ice cube shit all day. all tha way up to pac. nowadays u don't hear shit from tha west coast. ppl don't look at cali like it's regional, they look at it as a whole. so WHOEVER is reppin yall whether it be from tha bay all tha way to la, its considered west coast out here. with that bein said: i let my niccas listen to this gangsta shit and like u said, they can relate to tha hustlin shit, but they cant relate to tha gang bang shit, unless its my gangstas that listen to it. honesly rap is so regional now, it's hard to cum up unless u got that "machine" to bacc u up. when i say regional i mean, down south niggaz vibe off that crunk shit, cuz that club shit is wuts in down here. in new york they into that lyrical shit. tha west is into that mob shit. so i cant play no mob shit to niggas that want shit with more energy (crunked), and i cant play no crunk shit to niggas who are into lyrics. but like you said, if u got someone who can speak the "real", gettin money, life shit, then anyone (east coast, west coast, down south) can feel that shit. tha problem is is the MACHINE. i'm tellin u. exposure is the key. i hope i made my point, cant really get into shit cuz im at work, but this is an atlanta nigga givin his opinion. and i hang wit street niggas all day, from hustlers, to gang bangers (yes there is gang bangin in atlanta), to niggas who go clubbin every weekend. fold.

Oct 18, 2003
you know the first thing that came to mind when reading your post cs was networking and L.A. i know thats SAD.. for it to be take'n seriously by the media like B.E.T or M.T.V for them to give you guys or anyone a push for some street shit they prolly got it in their mind already that it's only safe to promote L.A. music. for all the work they put in in the 80's and 90's. T-spoon makes a good ass point the south got crunk, the east got lyrics, and the west got gangsta shit. it's true alot of people sleep on dago cause they can't picture a ghetto there. before i went to south east dago i did'nt know? honestly i think networking with more known artsits who will vouch for you by putting yall on their album yall getting your producers to work with them your artists and for them to do it for you vice versa will get people attention. cause thats the only time people take the next gangster seriously in the music biz. too many don't knows to cator to. i'd luv to see dago blow cause yall are some serious ass artists. i fell in luv with yall's music cause it's some real shit. all you need is a lil exposure cause you guys grind music out something serious. all people need is a listen but how can you get them to listen other than word of mouth in the underground? how do you get from there to on the radio and video? i wish it was'nt even like that.

Jul 10, 2002
The thing is, We got more labels than we got talent. We need 2 understand, the power in the rap game is in LA. If we want Dago 2 be recognized we need 2 put all these damn projects on hold, find 1 artist who has the most appeal & put our $, beats, & know how on 1 project. All The Dago "who's who" producing, playing, instruments, coming w/song concepts, writing, engineering, mixing & mastering. No egos involved Just music. Who else is willing 2 put their own shit on hold & make Dago blow? As 1 we could take over. I offer my resources 2 seeing this happen.

CoopDVill

Super Moderator
May 4, 2003
www.facebook.com
Ecay Uno said:
The thing is, We got more labels than we got talent. We need 2 understand, the power in the rap game is in LA. If we want Dago 2 be recognized we need 2 put all these damn projects on hold, find 1 artist who has the most appeal & put our $, beats, & know how on 1 project. All The Dago "who's who" producing, playing, instruments, coming w/song concepts, writing, engineering, mixing & mastering. No egos involved Just music. Who else is willing 2 put their own shit on hold & make Dago blow? As 1 we could take over. I offer my resources 2 seeing this happen.
That's About It...Real Spit...

Oct 18, 2003
my bad i see what ecay is saying but one thing i luv about dago music is all the different flavor you get on each project you hear everone get down on their projects. i understand if everyone went and put in their talents to see one dude blow that could work but i'd like for you guys to keep the tradition of everyone getting their chance to shine.

I-ROCC

CEO of Money Hungry/Hottest Underground N**ga in t
May 5, 2002
LUNICOLEONE.COM
i feel like niggaz need to be on 1 accord with eachother and shoot for a goal u can't get on in rap TOGETHER that has never happened and it never will I don't know where niggaz get this BIG dream from if we jus work together it will cracc...it doesnt work that way....now there is certain things we can do together like shows and songs and get on the road etc. but music is like anything if u and your friends want to be actor u dont get on together ...u might hit the road together and auditions together and thats it .... it's the same with music you have to go down the right roads to get "on" and niggaz out here aint doin that ...and I am very guilty of this MYSELF and it's way bigger than L.a ....there is the D.J summit in puerto rico every year niggaz dont go to ....the Magic in vegas niggaz dont go to .(and thats twice a year),the source awards in miami niggaz dont got to the hip hop summits that happen a few times a year in various cities a few times a year ....so I think niggaz in dago will get on when WE start doin what it takes and goin down the right roads to get there ...."ON" is not jus gonna knocc on our door like hey I'm here i heard u was lookin for me...u feel ....let's take a year and go all out and hit every event like all theese other niggaz and c what happens ...we know our music is good right so why not????

Apr 26, 2002
....but with all of the above bein said, i still think without bet and mtv and source and shit like that, dago will never blow up. i dunno if yall should blame pac but there is some SERIOUS hatin goin on against tha west. i might be thinkin too hard or jus paranoid, but i think new york is mad at tha west cuz "yall" took biggie. i really think its a conspiracy. think about it like this: if all mtv and bet and tha radio stations played was ecay and cs and mitchy and san quinn, etc, tha consumers would start "trainin" their ears to this sound and start likin tha shit. PERIOD. tha only reason "they" accept the game is cuz he's bacced by g-unit and he got his production from tha east. IMO, game cant touch nay nicca i mentioned above in lyrics!! if rocafella picced up cs and promoted him with east coast production, cs would blow tha fucc up!!!! BUT THERE'S A LOTTA HATRED GOIN ON. fold.

Apr 25, 2002
T-Spoon said:
....but with all of the above bein said, i still think without bet and mtv and source and shit like that, dago will never blow up. i dunno if yall should blame pac but there is some SERIOUS hatin goin on against tha west. i might be thinkin too hard or jus paranoid, but i think new york is mad at tha west cuz "yall" took biggie. i really think its a conspiracy. think about it like this: if all mtv and bet and tha radio stations played was ecay and cs and mitchy and san quinn, etc, tha consumers would start "trainin" their ears to this sound and start likin tha shit. PERIOD. tha only reason "they" accept the game is cuz he's bacced by g-unit and he got his production from tha east. IMO, game cant touch nay nicca i mentioned above in lyrics!! if rocafella picced up cs and promoted him with east coast production, cs would blow tha fucc up!!!! BUT THERE'S A LOTTA HATRED GOIN ON. fold.
I AGREE!!!

Jul 10, 2002
I Rocc, that's what working 2gether IS. It don't ean u ONLY work w/Dago cats,but u lead DAGO cats 2 the parade. Make sure u linkin up w/ other TALENTED niggas from tha town & network a plan. Some niggas just don't understand that we feed off of each other. It should b, if 1 DAGO nigga blow then, the city gats a look. But Dago niggas don't know how 2 build up momentum. Everybody wanna ACT like they already on top but don't wanna do the work that a nigga at the top does. If u know something that another nigga don't, put him up. I aint sayin we need 2 hold eachother's hands thru this shit, just have each ther's backs more. Cuz WE DON"T!!! U can fake if u want 2... I know the truth.

I-ROCC

CEO of Money Hungry/Hottest Underground N**ga in t
May 5, 2002
LUNICOLEONE.COM
I AIN'T FAKIN NOTHIN!!!!!AND U KNOW THE TRUTH ABOUT WHAT????

I agree with your work together comment....my thing is work together on WHAT! 1 rapper doin a song with his homeboy from around the corner is cool,there is nothin wrong with it all we all do it ...but how is that getting any of US ON ...it's not and it never will!!!!!

my whole thing is WE need to work TOGETHER on doin some of the right shit to make it happen somebody havin plug and givin it to u is not gonna make a difference if nobody is gonna push a line and go somewhere and make it happen!

I have figured out there is no way to go around the proper steps to make it happen u have to be in the right places mingle with right people build relationships with program directors ,artists ,producers,c.e.o's ,a&r's etc.

and I also admitted to MYSELF being guilty of not doin that!
I'm not blamin my position as a local SAN diego RAPPER ON NOBODY BUT MYSELF CUZ WE ALL KNEW THE STRUGGLE WHEN WE DECIDED TO DO THIS MUSIC SHIT AND I KNOW AT THE END OF THE DAY I CAN'T
DEPEND ON NOBODY ELSE TO BELIEVE IN MY MUSIC AND VISION LIKE ME BUT ME! SO I AM GOIN TO HAVE TO DO THE FOOTWORK AND GET OUT THERE HEAD FIRST IF I WANT TO SEE SOME PROGRESS

BUT I DO UNDERSTAND THE STRENGTH IN NUMBERS ....IF WE GONNA SMASH TOGETHER LET'S SMASH AND DO SOMETHING THAT MAKES SENSE AND IS DIFFERENT THAN THE SAME SHIT WE HAVE BEEN DOIN FOR YEARS THAT HAS NOT GOT US LOOKED AT!

LIKE I SAID WE KNOW IT'S NOT THE MUSIC SO LET'S FIND THE PROBEM AND FIX IT

Aug 15, 2002
i think the majors and the hip hop powers that would need a reason to promote a west coast artist...right now if you look at it the only things selling are crunk and that marble mouth gunit flow...there has to be an artist put in the position to spark...but its also the music. i mean the industry is set up right now only to make songs that get radio and video airplay that are more for the ladies.,..radio is setup for the ladies and unlike my generation(im 26) the high school girls of this generation arent really into gangsta music...they want dudes that dress the part but then turnaround and make love songs...if radio has decided that the young urban male demo is undesirable then no matter how much a label pushes you the radio wont play it unless youre pushing a 21 questions type track...i also think that it would be nice if niggaz could get under maybe 2 or 3 labels and not 16...there would have to be a big time money man out there that could really promote the shit...that way you put 4 or 5X the scrilla behind a project as opposed to everybody dropping albums all year long(which is good for the fans but think if you had everybodys energy and money behind 1 or 2 albums every 6 months and you could get some BET Uncut airplay and a few radio spots on some of the major west coast radio stations Z90 KKBT etc.)...i post on another site that has people from all over the world but is more diverse in the kinds of hip hop that people listen to and theres a thread over there of people begging for new west coast cuz a lot of the southern dudes and even the east coast heads are like "damn man i know theres gotta be some dope shit out there from cali but we wouldnt know who to buy or where to get it"...i dont see SD blowing up like Atlanta or New Orleans or LA did but i can see SD blowing up like the Bay did or to a lesser extent like Sactown did thanks to CBo and Lynch 10 -12 years ago...honestly Universal is the corporation that is running music with Viacom if you cant get in with them you aint gonna BLOW UP big like 50 or any of them...i mean you do need the machine to blow up that big and im not exactly sure how to get the machine behind you unless Dre or Jimmy Iovine like you...i really believe that if more of the country was exposed to certain artists they could really sell well in other cities and other parts of the country

Apr 26, 2002
Wallnutz said:
i think the majors and the hip hop powers that would need a reason to promote a west coast artist...right now if you look at it the only things selling are crunk and that marble mouth gunit flow...there has to be an artist put in the position to spark...but its also the music. i mean the industry is set up right now only to make songs that get radio and video airplay that are more for the ladies.,..radio is setup for the ladies and unlike my generation(im 26) the high school girls of this generation arent really into gangsta music...they want dudes that dress the part but then turnaround and make love songs...if radio has decided that the young urban male demo is undesirable then no matter how much a label pushes you the radio wont play it unless youre pushing a 21 questions type track...i also think that it would be nice if niggaz could get under maybe 2 or 3 labels and not 16...there would have to be a big time money man out there that could really promote the shit...that way you put 4 or 5X the scrilla behind a project as opposed to everybody dropping albums all year long(which is good for the fans but think if you had everybodys energy and money behind 1 or 2 albums every 6 months and you could get some BET Uncut airplay and a few radio spots on some of the major west coast radio stations Z90 KKBT etc.)...i post on another site that has people from all over the world but is more diverse in the kinds of hip hop that people listen to and theres a thread over there of people begging for new west coast cuz a lot of the southern dudes and even the east coast heads are like "damn man i know theres gotta be some dope shit out there from cali but we wouldnt know who to buy or where to get it"...i dont see SD blowing up like Atlanta or New Orleans or LA did but i can see SD blowing up like the Bay did or to a lesser extent like Sactown did thanks to CBo and Lynch 10 -12 years ago...honestly Universal is the corporation that is running music with Viacom if you cant get in with them you aint gonna BLOW UP big like 50 or any of them...i mean you do need the machine to blow up that big and im not exactly sure how to get the machine behind you unless Dre or Jimmy Iovine like you...i really believe that if more of the country was exposed to certain artists they could really sell well in other cities and other parts of the country
trueness indeed. i think tha west coast need to take advantage of that bet uncut also. i don't kno how they work but it seems to me, they'd play ANY video as long as u got tha dough to make one. i never heard of ric jilla or slow motion soundz before bet uncut and i'm diggin they shit wanna cop their album. so look wut kinda exposure it could give to san diego artists. fold.