When Bay Area Music Was Serious as Cancer

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 8, 2005
Just a thought, I know there are a few artist doing their thing right now and putting out some good tracks, some music videos are actually worth watching especially since now we got the YouTubes being utilized more and more...but shit, does anyone else besides me want things to go back to how things were before Mac Dre (R.I.P.) got taken out the game? Or like when CBO was putting together his Mob Figaz?? Back then shit seemed raw ass fuck. Think we'll ever see days like that again????

Props: willclark1313
May 5, 2002
C-dubb makes great music with that mobb slap in it....check him out....he has a real nice discography....also nickatina's new album goes hard....gives you that back in the day feel on alot of songs. I was just slappin "comptons most wanted music to driveby" tonight and reminisced about the old times....a lot of the new music is so weak these days....you gotta keep the classics on deck. I think people now adays need to embrace an artist they really like and really show support by exposing other cats to the artist. Thats how it use to be.

May 7, 2002
It will never be the same - not to mention we've also grown and music isn't going to influence us the way it did when we were in our teens. Thankfully, we have plenty of material from the golden era. The music I listen to pretty much consists of records put out in the 90s and I'm perfectly okay with that.

May 8, 2005
That's true but it seems to me that like the homie calls "The Golden Era" there was also more unity and good collaborations from Sac to the Bay down to the Central Coast....it was just a better time I guess tho. Yeah I agree with what a lot of you guys are saying. I just keep slapping the old tracks and try to support the artist that I think still hungry like Guce and Killa Tay.

Props: Gemini
May 4, 2007
www.myspace.com
That's true but it seems to me that like the homie calls "The Golden Era" there was also more unity and good collaborations from Sac to the Bay down to the Central Coast....it was just a better time I guess tho. Yeah I agree with what a lot of you guys are saying. I just keep slapping the old tracks and try to support the artist that I think still hungry like Guce and Killa Tay.
I get where you're coming from. the bay did have a golden age. most people nowadays would say it was around when dre died and hyphy got big. I thought it was back when Richie Rich, spice, forty, dre and Mac mall and all that was crackin. you're right. sac and the bay was collaborating al lot but so was la. the bay and sac were at their strongest when la was on point too. guess I'm saying that the whole west should be a movement and it will thin the heard.

Jun 5, 2004
I think bay area rappers could start using mobb style/more serious gangsta rap beats and add their new lyrics and new style and create something original...

But if somebody took a mobb beat n started rappin like 1993 "hit tha block tube sock, crack rock, suck my cock bitches hittin switches drink schlitzes" then nobody would like it...

Mac reese is a perfect example of somebody thats doing it right

May 16, 2002
I think bay area rappers could start using mobb style/more serious gangsta rap beats and add their new lyrics and new style and create something original...

But if somebody took a mobb beat n started rappin like 1993 "hit tha block tube sock, crack rock, suck my cock bitches hittin switches drink schlitzes" then nobody would like it...

Mac reese is a perfect example of somebody thats doing it right
This is where I think we're all confused. We want the old sound, but music has evolved. I think the new sound is just not compatible with the old style flows etc. Kind of hard to explain, but I'll try.

When we hear a old artist rip it on a newer track it's cool, but it just doesn't hold the test of time. It doesn't get around like back in the day. You would think with all the technology today the music would be out more, but it's seemed to somewhat fail. The music back in the day got out more due to knowing it was there or never, so we bought it once it was in front of us.

Besides the downloading, the internet has hurt the music industry from the mainstream to the lowest artist in the underground. Whack rappers killed the street Cd hustle as well as music on the internet. People now either download or stream it. If they download they ripped it off & it doesn't go past their iPod / phone whatever. If they stream it they don't want it bad enough to own & what it's all boiled down to is artist are content with the amount of hits they get on their music or videos online.

Last edited:
May 8, 2005
This is where I think we're all confused. We want the old sound, but music has evolved. I think the new sound is just not compatible with the old style flows etc. Kind of hard to explain, but I'll try.

When we hear a old artist rip it on a newer track it's cool, but it just doesn't hold the test of time. It doesn't get around like back in the day. You would think with all the technology today the music would be out more, but it's seemed to somewhat fail. The music back in the day got out more due to knowing it was there or never, so we bought it once it was in front of us.

Besides the downloading, the internet has hurt the music industry from the mainstream to the lowest artist in the underground. Whack rappers killed the street Cd hustle as well as music on the internet. People now either download or stream it. If they download they ripped it off & it doesn't go past their iPod / phone whatever. If they stream it they don't want it bad enough to own & what it's all boiled down to is artist are content with the amount of hits they get on their music or videos online.
Gemini, you brought up some good points but I can't say that I agree with you 100% on the compatability thing. I strongly believe that what it comes down to is strictly marketing the product right. For Example, getting some real good collabos going (Kind of like you see Guce and Philthy doing with Jim Jones) but doing that at another level....think what if CBO did another CBO's Mob Figaz album with the whole team and threw some Outlawz on there some Too $hort...or whatever then putting it out like how Nipsy is doing his Crenshaw release....some exclusive type shit. It's worth a try but then again who knows. Are artists even hungry enough?? That's the real question, I know it wasn't hard to convince me back in 1998. That classic shit was raw! Felt like maybe rappers in the bay where fuled by Pac's demise back then...

Props: Gemini

DODE

Sicc OG
Dec 30, 2011
I get where you're coming from. the bay did have a golden age. most people nowadays would say it was around when dre died and hyphy got big. I thought it was back when Richie Rich, spice, forty, dre and Mac mall and all that was crackin. you're right. sac and the bay was collaborating al lot but so was la. the bay and sac were at their strongest when la was on point too. guess I'm saying that the whole west should be a movement and it will thin the heard.
the bay had a golden era (90's) and hyphy era (00's)
hyphy wasn't just in the mid 00's,it was a thing even in the late 90's but blew up when they made thizz poppin the new hot thing, and you had white kids, blacks,mexicans,asians,indians, ect goin dumb.

but the beautiful thing about the bay is we always bounce back. so im sure there will be some new hot shit comin out and settin new standards again. just gotta wait for all these rappers dissin eachother and destroying bay rap to stop the bullshit.

the problem now is, people dont have the budgets, cant find quality producers/mastering, cant work together and network. so the music isnt thriving.