What's worse?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jan 31, 2003
This is all hypothetical. I don't post this for advice. I just wanna see what your morals are like.

Imagine you're at a point in your life where you've spent time taking your beginner's licks in a certain scene. Getting ripped off or less than what you paid for by middle men, or just plain getting some shit that you wouldn't put in your worst enemy, time and time again in the past, until you finally sink low enough into the soil to be able to get double the bang for your buck, from your choice of many people who will go out of their way to help you out.

Eventually you forget what it was even like to be starting out in it until you see somebody else who is. You see part of yourself in them, you see them making the same mistakes you made when you were getting a feel for the whole situation. You see them waiting three days for somebody to come back with something when you could make a phone call and get it in half an hour. Since you see part of yourself in them, you feel compassion for what they're going through.

How would you handle that, personally? Would you go very slightly out of your way to help lift them from the bottom rung of the ladder to the point where they can help themself? Or would you allow them to keep getting fucked in the hopes that it discourages them from the scene altogether? Imagine you see this person pawning their stuff, stealing from their folks, and then not getting their money's worth... is that worse than them sinking to the same depths and getting what they pay for? If you love them, and they're going to be getting into it regardless of what you do, do you raise them up or leave them be in the hopes that they get fucked often enough that they decide to be done with it altogether?

Jul 3, 2007
I would let them make their own decisions as someone did for you. I wouldn't do it in hope that they get turned off forever.. i would do it so they learn.. thats what life is... a big fucking learning experience. Had they been around when you were going through the same shit.. they probably would have learned from your mistakes.. but since they were not.. they will have to learn from their own. The only thing i would do is keep that watchful eye on them and make sure they don't get overwhelmed to the point of giving in to the wrong suggestions.. ie, hurting themselves or others.