Whats the Problem with Cali Rappers!?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 27, 2006
I was just thinking the you know, u here about cats in the south selling records and shit, and i was thinking........with 40 million cats in california(not counting illegals), and niggaz only sell like 10,000 records!!??/ Thats a damn shame. I thought niggaz was husltaz! I mean do niggaz really need major distrubution deals to have your cdz in a store!? im just wondering.......

Feb 27, 2006
i feel you on the whole independent thing, and yall eatin, but catz can be eatin wayyyyyyyyyy more. i mean theres unlimited amount of ways for cats to sell a record especially in a market like Cali where everybody wanna be up on the latest shit!

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
Blame their fans for downloading everything and not buying shit, everyone i know from back home love bay area rap but like 1/10 people buy the CDs and the others just want to get the hook up with the burn or dl the shit from the net

Jan 17, 2006
40 million......but socal and norcal is pretty far apart

so its hard to reach anywhere near that 40mill.....and of those people that rappers do turn to fans, a big percent just download they shit

BASEDVATO

Judo Chop ur Spirit
May 8, 2002
I think kids in cali are more educated and adapted to load, and upload they albums from the internet...

CD sales will continue to decline... 5 years from now you wont be eaten off cd sales, hopefully there be new and profitable avenues

Jan 23, 2007
the only way niggas wanna fuck wit major labels is on they terms...and majors dont like that shit...im surprise fab got his own label off atlantic...thats kinda unheard of if u a new artist...usually u take what u can get if u gettin signed

Oct 21, 2006
Fuck a major really. It's all the same as the radio. I would rather have 10,000 fans who actually like me enough to buy the cd (read the quote below, even good fans won't buy the cd), AND be independent (more profit per cd, less control from a label), than be a slave to a major label.

jayda650 said:
Blame their fans for downloading everything and not buying shit, everyone i know from back home love bay area rap but like 1/10 people buy the CDs and the others just want to get the hook up with the burn or dl the shit from the net
real talk.

also about cds not selling in 5 years, looks like where we're headed.

Oct 28, 2003
king of the O said:
I was just thinking the you know, u here about cats in the south selling records and shit, and i was thinking........with 40 million cats in california(not counting illegals), and niggaz only sell like 10,000 records!!??/ Thats a damn shame. I thought niggaz was husltaz! I mean do niggaz really need major distrubution deals to have your cdz in a store!? im just wondering.......
That is a good question you would think an artist could easily move 100,000 units out of this state, but it doesn't happen. I think that Californians in general only support Cali shit when it is winning. Take the Warriors for example...Nobody gave a shit about them and once they started winning Snoop was here, Jessica Alba's fine ass was at the games mothafuckas was wearing the shirts all because they were winning. Other states are more loyal to their own. They show REAL support and put their money where their mouths are.

Feb 27, 2006
^^^^lol thats true though! what the fuck was jessica alba doing in the town anyway?

Yeah you can say Cali is hella big woop woop,...but shit niggaz gotta travel if they really wanna get it. ya feel me niggaz gotta analyze that a lil more then 70% of the population is in so cal..........but on some real shit though, cali is just too hi-tek! Niggaz need to step they game up on some totally new shit cuz niggaz out here is really winning on the rap game. I mean, you download a cd for free, they got computer programs for cats to take your songs off the myspace, they got computer programs for cats take niggaz singles off the radio, man the whole nine! So niggaz need to step there game up on some new 2010 hi-tek fashion type shit!!!

Oct 21, 2006
^ Yeah n they dont care that their myspace or radio rip is shitty quality. I dont think they really care about the quality of the product anymore. It's more like they just wanna have it. and then they throw it away in a month. my generation is fucked up.

And yeah Cali is a bunch of followers. Even in the bay, it's a bunch of followers. despite what you hear in raps, it's a bunch of followers.

Feb 27, 2006
^^^^^u aint lying though! cats are biters!

But if niggaz was smart they could figure out how to fuck the game uo, and fuck cats heads up! Instead of trying to conform to the norm of being on a major or the indie route.............Cause face it yall, the "independent game" needs to evolve cause its 2007. ya feel me, if it dont pretty soon its gon be extinct and nobody gon be eatin.

Sep 17, 2006
Ugh, where to start? You guys amazingly hate on everyone else succesful, yet still try to copy the hottest styles. Many fans are stuck in a mid 90's gangsta rap time warp ( LA & the Bay ), and that shit is wack now. You also actually think that more than .03% of these rappers will ever be succsful/popular outside of cali.

Feb 27, 2006
^^^^^wow!

Popularity is really not a concern. Really popularity is only from a dick riding fans perspective cause he want to see that his artist is doing something. The reason why cats are stuck in the mid 90's gangsta era, is cause they were speaking real shit. Okay a nigga gets killed today in oakland/LA/richmond so i put my headphones on and listen to gucci man-so icy. what part of the game is that!? I mean lets keep it real dog. u tryna say ol skool spice one, and 2pac, and e40 shit is wack? U probably one of them gay ass turf dancers that want to shake they ass in the club like a bitch!

May 30, 2006
jayda650 said:
Your correct homie. Damn near everyone I know god 2 the bootleg man or dl. I know a lot if people that say they aint bought an album in years. I buy less CD's then I once did & I got a lot more money too but I still don't dl. I just buy less CD's cuz its less qaulity music comin out.

And breaking off Cali in 2 States aint gonna increase sales. That just sounds dumb. N.Cali & S.Cali are divided enough cuz of a lot of reasonz most notabaly the streets & that would make it worse. What will increase sales is better music, more people who cared enough about the music 2 purchse it & less rappers over floading the market. Some o these rappers need sqaure ass 9 to 5's cuz the music bizz isn't cut out for about 70% of the people trying 2 break in & are already broke in.

May 30, 2006
Imonone said:
Ugh, where to start? You guys amazingly hate on everyone else succesful, yet still try to copy the hottest styles. Many fans are stuck in a mid 90's gangsta rap time warp ( LA & the Bay ), and that shit is wack now. You also actually think that more than .03% of these rappers will ever be succsful/popular outside of cali.
Homie that's a hater qoute. These Bay cats are critisizing their own because they are concerned about the music & sales in our state. They don't need someone from back east bashing them. I notice that u comment in the B.A.R.T. but u act like damn near all Bay shit iz trash. That doesn't make much sense 2 me but I guess u can explain that yourself.