What would you do?...

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 10, 2002
You have a hot independent album (which is done) that has radio appeal and lets say you spent $10,000 total on it yourself. Somebody pretty powerful hears it that is not in the entertainment industry and has little knowledge about it, but likes what they hear and wants to do a 50/50 partnership with you and get themselves started in the music industry. They have incredible connections, a ton of money, but no knowledge in the music industry. Do you form a partnership with them, and if so, do you make it 50/50???

Keep in mind that this person doesn't even know what it means to "mix" a song...

GRANT THEFT

Apr 25, 2002
www.idealsentertainment.com
Fuck no, they can come and ride with me and be a financier, but that's it. ONLY if their business game is on top though. I had 2 cats put a little money out on the first project and they'll NEVER work with me again on anything!! Thinking they own the rights to my whole album and shit....but nawww, no 50/50 with some cat who sees a meal ticket in me!!

May 10, 2002
I feel that to the fullest... almost like filling a void for a new hobby or something huh. I think everybody gotta play a role, and I feel you, the role of a person like this would probably just be a financier and that's it.

So what kind of partnership or cut would something like that normally come out to?? 85/15?? Holler...

I-ROCC

CEO of Money Hungry/Hottest Underground N**ga in t
May 5, 2002
LUNICOLEONE.COM
NONE OF THAT OTHER SHIT MATTERS.....CUZ NONE OF "US" DON'T REALLY KNOW SHIT ABOUT THE INDUSTRY CUZ NONE OF US HAS DONE ANYTHING AND WE ARE STILL ON A MESSAGE BOARD ASKING EACH OTHER QUESTIONS ABOUT OUR CAREER.......SO NOW IF THIS PERSON YOU KNOW HAS MONEY AND IS WILLING TO AT LEAST MATCH THE 10,000$ YOU HAVE PUT IN THEN YES THAT WOULD MEAN HE IS AS MUCH IN DEBT IN YOUR PROJECT AS YOU(MINUS THE TIME YOU PUT IN TO DO IT)SO A 50/50 PARTERSHIP WOULD NOT BE BAD AT ALL.........BUT ONLY IF HE IS WILLING TO MATCH YOUR FINANCIAL INVESTMENT

og MS

Member since 1997
Apr 25, 2002
www.killavalley.com
If they got the cash to match and are behind you 110% .. I'd say yes... but make sure they know the ins and outs or the recoup process in this slow paying rap game.

With them involved.. you're still in over $10,000 ...
without them... you're still in over $10,000

so it leaves you with a wise choice to make...

good luck

Apr 26, 2002
www.PROJECTAFFILIATED.com
how much creative control will you have?-->more than likely most if not all--->if you think you have a product that will sell with muscle then why not? -->you will probably make back on half of what you sell the same amount you would do solo and gain more exposure and name recognitions then otherwise for future projects....

Oct 30, 2002
www.soundclick.com
take what ever money is givin to you by this person. use it to your full advantage. advertising printing and such. cut him in per what ever you sell as in: say u sell 1000 cds witha 8,000$$ profit cut folks in on ten percent ever thousand you sell thats 800 for him. 7,200 for u .u print up and sell 3000 cds thats 24,000$$ give him thirty percent (never go higher than 40 percent that should be the limit till he see's all his money back.) thats 7,200$$ for him 16,000$$ for you. now u have 16,000+7,200dollars= (23,000 profit) minus printing and ads 23,000-10,000(roughly)=(13,000)dollars still in your pocket your invester had just made 8,000 dollars and after u make the money back you owes him. cut him in for 5 percent per thousand from here . that could work

May 10, 2002
This person wants to start a 50/50 partnership on not just one project but a full label. He says he can get all the money spent from the project back and he knows a LOT of respectable people. He's already talking about clothing lines, fashion designers, getting all fitted up and starting to do some venues. The thing is, he knows NOTHING about the business... is this the type of person that should play the background role and just invest and that's it??? Should all the money and time be recouped before anything is even considered, and if so, should there be a bonus on top of that for everything that is already taken care of??

The project he wants to get involved with is SOO hot and would probably not have trouble at all getting shopped to big labels, but going independent first and doing well would provide a lot of leverage in deals later on, and dude has resources.. holler.

GRANT THEFT

May 10, 2002
I think the project will sell better with muscle independently no question.. but dude really doesn't have any good insights on any of this from a business standpoint and he wants to. All he has is resources and everything to learn about the music industry..

Apr 26, 2002
www.PROJECTAFFILIATED.com
ChopShop said:
I think the project will sell better with muscle independently no question.. but dude really doesn't have any good insights on any of this from a business standpoint and he wants to. All he has is resources and everything to learn about the music industry..
how much do you know about the industry....if u know a good amount then its cool....if not learn as it comes....that what every1 does-->make sure u outline everything b4 you commit...and HAVE IT IN WRITING ask him what he wants out of it....

->most partnerships are that way....some folx have the brain others have the muscle

May 10, 2002
I know a decent amount about the industry, but by no means everything.. My knowledge is a 100x what this cat's is though. Your right, everything needs to be outlined and people's opinions and expectations need to be heard. Good lookin..

GRANT THEFT

Apr 11, 2003
gooeygraphics.com
yeah you should start there. sit down and figure out each of ya'lls goals. then figure out how to reach those goals.

and it would be a good idea to get everything in writing. the worst thing you could do is sign your dream away.

good luck

...and get at me if/when you need some artwork done...

Apr 25, 2002
www.idealsentertainment.com
I still wouldn't be dudes partner....all he has to offer is $$ and no business sense, and no idea how the music industry works. What would be the point of having a partner roll with you 50/50 or even have an interest IN THE LABEL itself?? Like I said, I'd get him on as a financier, but that's it. I've seen this a lot, and cats who have no sense of the business and want to come sidebust into somebody else's business is only after his scrill and has no interest in you or your artists!! Muthafuckaz these days are looking for a quick buck and they won't get it from me.

Take it from somebody with EXPERIENCE in this. I had 2 financiers, one who financed 1 song, and the other who put $$ into pressing (who was my own brother, and also wanted to run the label even though it was already being run). The first one is a student @ Stanford who tried to fuck me over with his bullshit contract, cause he thought I was a dumbass. I went to his dorm and made him shred it and told him no contract like that would ever be valid!! Then you got my brother, who tried to tell me he OWNED all the rights to my album cause he paid for pressing, and threatened to give them all away for free cause I told him the label gets paid, the financier gets a return of his money, and then when profits come in, that's when the bread starts being divided into what we know as percentages, return on investments!! He told me he wanted a $5,000 profit cut BEFORE the label saw any money.

So, if I can't trust my own brother, why would I trust some fruitcake who doesn't know what the fuck he's doing? AntDawg and I will be fine throwin the cash out ourselves. I'll tell you what pimp, my brother and this other fuck came in when they saw $$$ opportunities...be careful who you fuck with dawg, this is a shady business!!