What Jazz are you listening to?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Aug 16, 2003
Ive been listening to a lot of Hiromi Uehara...shes a BEAST+ add Chick Corea for the win!

Then for that ol skool feeling I listen to George Benson

And when I want a jazz vocalist I start with Al Jarreau

Jul 9, 2002
That's funny 'cause In A Silent Way is my favorite Miles album... The only reason I asked the "Fusion" question is 'cause of guys like Stanley Crouch & Wynton Marsalis... They refuse to call OTC a "Jazz" album...

Keith Jarrett drops the ether on Wynton Marsalis

Jarrett saves his most pointed attacks on the current jazz establishment for Marsalis. "Wynton imitates other people's styles too well," he says. "You can't learn to imitate everyone else without a real deficit. I've never heard anything Wynton played sound like it meant anything at all. Wynton has no voice and no presence. His music sounds like a talented high-school trumpet player to me. He plays things really, really,really badly that you cannot screw up unless you are a bad player. I've felt embarrassed listening to him, and I'm white. Behind his humble speech, there is an incredible arrogance. And for a great black player who talks about the blues - I've never heard Wynton play the blues convincingly, and I'd challenge him to a blues standoff any time. He's jazzy the same way someone who drives a BMW is sporty."

Jun 24, 2006

Jarrett saves his most pointed attacks on the current jazz establishment for Marsalis. "Wynton imitates other people's styles too well," he says. "You can't learn to imitate everyone else without a real deficit. I've never heard anything Wynton played sound like it meant anything at all. Wynton has no voice and no presence. His music sounds like a talented high-school trumpet player to me. He plays things really, really,really badly that you cannot screw up unless you are a bad player. I've felt embarrassed listening to him, and I'm white. Behind his humble speech, there is an incredible arrogance. And for a great black player who talks about the blues - I've never heard Wynton play the blues convincingly, and I'd challenge him to a blues standoff any time. He's jazzy the same way someone who drives a BMW is sporty."

Where is this from? haha Keith killed Wynton. I know a lot of people that hate Keith for his voicing while he plays. It doesn't bother me but I understand how it could. His new album with charlie Haden is really good if the voicing doesn't bother you. Nice relaxing romantic album.

Oct 6, 2005

I'm not a fan of KJ at ALL... But, DAMN...!!!!!!! Wynton doesn't want any parts of him... Hahahaha... "I felt embarrassed listening to him..." WHOA...!!

Jul 9, 2002
I found this article online a few years back. Keith went hard on him. I didn't really like keith moaning on his records but I grew to tolerate it. I will check out his new album. I like Keith's solo concert. I hope to see him play solo in concert someday

Jun 24, 2006
I'm on a free jazz thing of late. I like Conquistador more than Unit Structures. Cecil is out there, Charles Gayle has a segment in his discography where he was freer but as of the last 8-10 yrs he has more melodic tones and structure. You should check Charles Gayle - Forgiveness. I think you may enjoy it, or at least listen to another unique album.

Oct 6, 2005
I'm on a free jazz thing of late. I like Conquistador more than Unit Structures. Cecil is out there, Charles Gayle has a segment in his discography where he was freer but as of the last 8-10 yrs he has more melodic tones and structure. You should check Charles Gayle - Forgiveness. I think you may enjoy it, or at least listen to another unique album.

Word... Some of the Unit Structures stuff is like, oh HELL NO...! Conquistador is a little less jarrin' so I'm givin' it a shot... It's growin' on me... I'm a fan of Cecil's solo playin' & was introduced to him through "Jitney #2"... First time I heard it was like, THE HELL IS THIS...? But I'm gonna peep that Charles Gayle... Good sh*t, mayne...!