What is "Mobb Shit" exactly?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Mar 1, 2006
3VID3NC3 said:
Great post..
You make a good point about the gear being used too. Another thing is during the mobb era they incorporated alot of rhythm and bass guitar into the music to give it a live funky flavor. I miss the live slap basses Studio Ton used to throw in his beats or the wah guitars in the background. I was listen to "380 on that ass" by Spice 1 and realized how much I miss that sound..you could tell they were some real musicians and inspired by real music..that old school funk
No Doubt... Live instrumentation is a cornerstone of the Mobb Sound and several of it's orginators taught themselves to play all four of the major modern instruments (Bass, Guitar, Piano, and Drums) and mastered the art of early turntablism (as most of them began as DJs). More than one was known for their human beatboxing skills and versed in a multitude of percussion instruments and a couple of them could actually read and write music notation. It was a point of pride to be able to do these things as a producer and I think it still should be. Nothing beats the feel of live rhythm and syncopation, especially when combined with the groove of an MPC.

By the way one thing I may have also missed is the art of mixing. In my opinion, if you cannot run a mixing console you should not be able to call yourself a producer. All of the originators of the Mobb Sound were masters of the mix.

Base4esteban said:
whats your opinion on artists and producers that have switched up styles?
started out with mobb sound and changed to hyphy sound. i'm waiting on that konglomerati sounds like some revolutionary type shit.
Well to me it's it's all related, seein' as how Rick Rock is no doubt not only one of the original Mobb Music Masters, but in my opinion the original artchitect of the Hyphy sound. Cats that really know are aware of the tight relation between the Bay's top producers. If you check your History you will see that there was one camp that was head and shoulders above the rest when it came to producing and helping to introduce the Bay and the world to new artists that eventually went on to become the Top Major artists from The Area. The members of this camp eventually went their seperate ways but continued over the years to do various projects in various combinations and all have been successful in their solo endeavours as producers and even as artists.

dj pimp said:
i wont let the cat out of the bag, but this poster is one of the cats that started the whole mobb sound and is a legend in his own right. he was there for every second of it and was one of the cornerstones of the whole movement... good shit dog
A humble "Thanx" to you DJ Pimp.

Note: To those who don't know, Pimp was there and in full participation from the very begining of this Mobb Shit. On the real...you'd be doing yourself a big favor to have him in your corner.

P.S. Like i said... The Konglomerati Cometh

Aug 5, 2002
good shit 70sav, gabe, dj mark 7, & dj pimp....school'z in session folkz!....TMSBB! the mobb shit been back!:siccness:

peace,
Dubl-Z

Mar 1, 2006
tweeze said:
aint banks and dangous crew too $hort are the inventers of mobb music get it right
Wrong. Too $horts rapping did have a huge influence on the Mobb Sound creators but it was actually long before his first record. It was from the tapes that Short used to sell in Knowland Park and short didn't really have production at that point. He was still rappin' over instrumentals like Whodini's "Friends" (his Favorite) and "Five Minutes of Funk" as well as instrumentals by Spyder D (Placin' the Beat), and Jimmy Spicer ( Money-Dolarbill 'Yall).

By the way, if you're really tryin' to sound like you know, rather than Ant Banks (who came along later and also had a huge impact on bay area hip hop) you would do better to drop a name like Al Eaton (aka One Little Indian) who was Too $horts original producer.

Dec 21, 2005
SEEMS LIKE MOBB SHIT EVOLVED INTO NIGGAS LIKE TURF TALK, MOB FIGAZ ETC... LIKE NEW GENERATION MOB SHIT IT WONT B THE SAME THO

Stinje Mac

Producer/Artist
Apr 25, 2005
Hollywood, CA
www.stinje.com
Go get that Don Toriano album "Gone Pimpin" that's some new mob shit for ya, just check out the mob songs on my myspace page "Keap it Mob" by Don Toriano and "The Mob" by Hussalah, Pretty Black, Ike Dola, Keak da sneak, and Kuzzo Fly, that's some 2007 mob shit for ya

Feb 13, 2006
DJ Mark 7 said:
to me "mobb" music is Bay Area gangster rap...Shit for the car not for the club. The beats don't hafta sound like they're from the 90s at all....Mobb music evolves just like any other genre. I guess you could say it's just darker than the happy-go-lucky stuff that's been coming out lately
true. but if this nigga is on a uptempo "hyphy" beat talkin bout killin niggas and sellin shit and you got this nigga on a slow hard beat saying the same shit then whats the difference? other than the tone of the track. hyphy=mob ,mob=hypphy