What is "Mobb Shit" exactly?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 5, 2005
Are those the Bosko,Mike Mosley, Studio Tone tracks or is it the content they rap about? If it's the beats, then that will never come back because that was time specific. That shit sounds and belongs in the 90s.

J:M

Sicc OG
Feb 4, 2004
It's the 90s sound. ie. COUGNUT, HITMAN, RBL, 11/5, Two Eleven, early YBB days. The grown folks like us remember it like it was yesterday. Let's just remember it's time has passed. Remember 2Pac died in 96, most young kids have never heard of a 2Pac song. Same with Mob Shit, most of them never heard any of it.

DJ Mark 7

djmark7.com
Jul 18, 1977
www.djmark7.com
to me "mobb" music is Bay Area gangster rap...Shit for the car not for the club. The beats don't hafta sound like they're from the 90s at all....Mobb music evolves just like any other genre. I guess you could say it's just darker than the happy-go-lucky stuff that's been coming out lately

Oct 5, 2006
J:M said:
It's the 90s sound. ie. COUGNUT, HITMAN, RBL, 11/5, Two Eleven, early YBB days. The grown folks like us remember it like it was yesterday. Let's just remember it's time has passed. Remember 2Pac died in 96, most young kids have never heard of a 2Pac song. Same with Mob Shit, most of them never heard any of it.
sometimes i fee like im stuck in the 90's and my new album reflex on that if you like that kind of shit yall gonna love my new album"The Work$hop" distributed nation wide threw koch, it ft. Assassin, Bizzy bone, Havik (SCC), Young Droop, Mr. Kee, Spice 1 and more release date Oct 9th Liferdef in da billdin YEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!

Apr 1, 2004
i dont play nuthin but shit from 93-99...everything else after that to me is just watered down. mobb music is when the rappers were sayin whatever they wanted. g-shit, not this jump around and get all hyphy shit that is the main shit today. its a gimmick. mobb music started to change for me when rappers wanted to be more published or mainstream. seems they changed what they were sayin and the beats slowed down. mobb shit is what you get high too, mobb around in your car and move your head to. its murder music to me! that shit that makes you move and just mobb it out! it nevers dies! my collection is building everyday!!!! real g shit! not watered down rap with a gimmick!

Mar 1, 2006
Doc Truth said:
Are those the Bosko,Mike Mosley, Studio Tone tracks or is it the content they rap about? If it's the beats, then that will never come back because that was time specific. That shit sounds and belongs in the 90s.
Mobb Shit is the sound of The Bay. It could probably be described as a sort of "Pimp Funk". One of the main hallmarks of the Mobb Sound was the fact that it was slower than most other regional styles. In my opinion, I'd say the Mobb Sound was more about the music than the content of the lyrics, but you must also recognize the contribution the rappers gave to the music through rhythmic inspiration and the unique flow and cadences of the rap styles that were born in the bay.

To a point you are correct as far as being time specific. When the original Mobb Sound was concieved different instruments were being used. The Korg Triton, the Yamaha Motif, and the Roland Fantom were not even invented. You were more likely to find the Korg Poly Six, the Korg M-1 or M-3, the Yamaha DX-7, SY-77 or SY-22, and the Roland SH, TR, Juno, Jupiter, JX, or JV lines. There were also Moog's, Oberhiem's, and Rhodes used as well. The Emu SP-12 and the Akai S Series were the samplers of choice until The Akai MPC line came along around 1988. The dedicated drum machines were of course the Roland 808 and 909, and Alesis HR-16 and 16B although many different brands were experimented with to some success. Nowadays a cat will go out and purchase a Triton, a Fantom, or a Motif, or a MPC or Roland MV, and tickle the keys or pads a little bit and call himself a producer. Back then it was a little more complicated. Because the sounds from the keyboards were alot thinner then, a producer had to learn how to layer his sounds. And sampling time was a whole lot harder to come by so cats had to find more creative ways to sample. The biggest difference to me is that back then you couldn't call yourself a producer unless you knew how to achieve sonic quality through creativity and knowledge of an entire studio full of equipment. Today cats tap out a beat and on one piece and leave the rest to the engineer if they even bother to use one and to them it's considered a production.

But back to the statement that the Mobb Sound will never come back because it is time specific... The problem with that theory is

1. The Mobb Sound never left. It is STILL and will continue to be the Sound of the Bay. A couple of years of Hyphy or any other new bay style could never begin to drive a nail in the coffin of almost 3 decades (26 years by my count) of Mobb Related Music. At best these new styles are offshoots of an original style of music that was created here in the bay (AKA Bay Area HIP HOP, AKA Mobb Music).

2. Though the instruments used may be dated and time specific the rhythmic styles and cadences of the actual instrument PLAYING is timeless. In other words if you update the instruments and play the exact same notes
you still have a more than viable style of music. In fact some of the instruments of today actually lend themselves to the style even better than the original instruments.

Like I said in another thread there's no reason why Mobb Music and other Bay area styles cant co-exist. It's all gravy if you ask me. But to think that Mobb Music is dead is flat out wrong.

P.S. The Konglomerati Cometh

Apr 25, 2002
70SAV said:
Mobb Shit is the sound of The Bay. It could probably be described as a sort of "Pimp Funk". One of the main hallmarks of the Mobb Sound was the fact that it was slower than most other regional styles. In my opinion, I'd say the Mobb Sound was more about the music than the content of the lyrics, but you must also recognize the contribution the rappers gave to the music through rhythmic inspiration and the unique flow and cadences of the rap styles that were born in the bay.

To a point you are correct as far as being time specific. When the original Mobb Sound was concieved different instruments were being used. The Korg Triton, the Yamaha Motif, and the Roland Fantom were not even invented. You were more likely to find the Korg Poly Six, the Korg M-1 or M-3, the Yamaha DX-7, SY-77 or SY-22, and the Roland SH, TR, Juno, Jupiter, JX, or JV lines. There were also Moog's, Oberhiem's, and Rhodes used as well. The Emu SP-12 and the Akai S Series were the samplers of choice until The Akai MPC line came along around 1988. The dedicated drum machines were of course the Roland 808 and 909, and Alesis HR-16 and 16B although many different brands were experimented with to some success. Nowadays a cat will go out and purchase a Triton, a Fantom, or a Motif, or a MPC or Roland MV, and tickle the keys or pads a little bit and call himself a producer. Back then it was a little more complicated. Because the sounds from the keyboards were alot thinner then, a producer had to learn how to layer his sounds. And sampling time was a whole lot harder to come by so cats had to find more creative ways to sample. The biggest difference to me is that back then you couldn't call yourself a producer unless you knew how to achieve sonic quality through creativity and knowledge of an entire studio full of equipment. Today cats tap out a beat and on one piece and leave the rest to the engineer if they even bother to use one and to them it's considered a production.

But back to the statement that the Mobb Sound will never come back because it is time specific... The problem with that theory is

1. The Mobb Sound never left. It is STILL and will continue to be the Sound of the Bay. A couple of years of Hyphy or any other new bay style could never begin to drive a nail in the coffin of almost 3 decades (26 years by my count) of Mobb Related Music. At best these new styles are offshoots of an original style of music that was created here in the bay (AKA Bay Area HIP HOP, AKA Mobb Music).

2. Though the instruments used may be dated and time specific the rhythmic styles and cadences of the actual instrument PLAYING is timeless. In other words if you update the instruments and play the exact same notes
you still have a more than viable style of music. In fact some of the instruments of today actually lend themselves to the style even better than the original instruments.

Like I said in another thread there's no reason why Mobb Music and other Bay area styles cant co-exist. It's all gravy if you ask me. But to think that Mobb Music is dead is flat out wrong.
Great post..
You make a good point about the gear being used too. Another thing is during the mobb era they incorporated alot of rhythm and bass guitar into the music to give it a live funky flavor. I miss the live slap basses Studio Ton used to throw in his beats or the wah guitars in the background. I was listen to "380 on that ass" by Spice 1 and realized how much I miss that sound..you could tell they were some real musicians and inspired by real music..that old school funk

Jan 9, 2006
70SAV said:

whats your opinion on artists and producers that have switched up styles?
started out with mobb sound and changed to hyphy sound. i'm waiting on that konglomerati sounds like some revolutionary type shit.

Dec 3, 2004
www.ap9online.com
DJ Mark 7 said:
to me "mobb" music is Bay Area gangster rap...Shit for the car not for the club. The beats don't hafta sound like they're from the 90s at all....Mobb music evolves just like any other genre. I guess you could say it's just darker than the happy-go-lucky stuff that's been coming out lately
everyone is talkin about the rappers who made it a mobb sound, but mark7 is right, it was the music that made the genre, of course u needed some gangsta ass lyrics to keep it mobb, but those were the days and there are still plenty of cats usin the mobb sound. after the hyphy sound dies out (if it does) the mobb sound will make a comeback in the bay, atleast i hope so

Dec 3, 2004
www.ap9online.com
70SAV said:

i wont let the cat out of the bag, but this poster is one of the cats that started the whole mobb sound and is a legend in his own right. he was there for every second of it and was one of the cornerstones of the whole movement... good shit dog