What is a mixtape to you?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

What is a mixtape?

• An album of songs made using mainstream beats

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • A collection of freestyles, original songs, and snippets with a host

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • Just another name for a compilation, but mostly used by DJs

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Any combination of songs, usually blended or mixed together

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Other?

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters
Apr 25, 2002
www.Tadou.com
Just curious......

I swear, i bring up questions like this all the time, and ask people if they've ever heard an east coast mixtape.

"Of course!" they assure.

Then i ask, "Do you know who Cutmaster C is? Or Doo Wop?"

Their response: ".....No. Can i go to Sam Goody and buy those?"

....Fucking incredible.

Anyway, what is a mixtape to you? Ill throw up my description later on.

May 9, 2003
www.soundclick.com

a mixtape to me is : Any combination of songs, usually blended or mixed together
nowadays alot of folks be throwing cd's together and call em a mixtape knowing dam well there aint no mix involved on it....ALREADY!!!!!!!

Aug 9, 2002
A MIXTAPE 2 ME IS FREESTYLES OR FLOWS OVER SOME1'Z BEAT ALL MIXED 2GETHER BY A DJ & HE TALKZ ABOUT ALBUMS THAT ARE IN THA WORKS OR NEWS BOUT SHYT THATZ POP'N IN THA WORLD OF HIP-HOP THAT MAINSTREAM AMERICA DONT KNOW SHYT ABOUT. THE MC'S USUALLY LIKE 2 GET SHYT OFF THEIR CHEST WEATHER ITS BEEF OR JUST A TOUGHT OR JUST PERFECTING THEIR FREESTYLE SKILLZ, THEY USUALLY GO REAL HARD ON EM, & MIXTAPES ARE NEVER SOLD OR FOUND IN REGULAR STORES USUALLY THEIR ONLY FOUND IN MOM & POP STORES OR THA STREETZ. MIXTAPES ARE FUCKING TIGHT MAYBE 4 THA FOLKZ THAT AINT EVER HEARD ANY TRUE MIXTAPEZ DONT HAVE A FUCKING CLUE HOW FUCKING RAW THEY ARE...TRUE HIP-HOP HEADS LUV THEM MIXTAPES.

Apr 25, 2002
www.Tadou.com
^^ Man, hit the nail on the head, you definitely know what you're talking about.

What I'm MOST sick of is people saying COMPLETELY IGNORANT things like "Mixtapes are getting played out", KNOWING they're talking about west coast mixtapes (bunch of songs made over mainstream beats), and having ZERO knowledge of the east coast mixtape scene.

I dont fuck with them blend/mixed ones....i'm all about the current events-styled ones full of freestyles, lead singles, songs that didnt make albums, and so on.

Aug 9, 2002
Most of tha mixtapez ive heard from da west coast are really lame...maybe i just aint heard a good dj from da west but tha 1'z ive heard dont sound good. The dj just chooses tha wrong beatz 4 tha wrong mc's like tha 1 i heard had a lame ass beat from nelly, cant remember tha name of tha song, but it had nelly,snoop, & goldie loc on it....? I was like WTF!...just horrible!

Jul 1, 2002
www.siccness.net
What it mostly is nowadays is just a cd of songs put together to be used to promote an artist and show off their skills, most of the time using mainstream beats....you also got the ones put together by "DJ's" that have exclusive shit, all they do is collect songs, tag em up and throw em together in a comp...and others that are blends of songs, actually MIXING shit together in somethin that flows from beginning to end....I think the word mix could be used to describe alot of shit, but yeah I aint got just 1 definition for a mixtape or mix cd