what hardware do you use and why?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Oct 11, 2005
Nonstop said:
i see my self strayin further from software while most erryone else is goin deeper into the pc... other then pt, and some pluggins, i dont touch much more then the mpc and oasys for composition

I use:

Roland Fantom XR w/ Supreme Dance expansion.
Korg Triton LE
Emu Mophatt w/ Proteus rom
Technic 1200 w/ hella records.
Emu- Xboard 49
Akai MPD 24.

About it for hardware, but I also use hella vst's and shit.

Aug 23, 2005
Filthy_Rich said:
Roland Juno G- basically got it because of the Fantom sound engine and for the easy-to-use sequencer. it's a pretty dope board with a solid sound set. i love the e.pianos. there are so many.

Alesis Micron- had some money to burn a while back and picked it up. it's cool as fuck but i'll probably sell it soon. It's supposed to sound like analog, but it really doesn't. that is, without a good amount of editing.

Right now i'm trying to find an mpc60. that'll be my next purchase. then i'll try and replace the micron with a juno106. here's a couple pics of my humble production suite.

DO U JUST MAKE BEATS?...HOW MUCH DID THAT ALL COST

May 6, 2002
nonstop.bandcamp.com
Juno g is around 1000 I think, and micron is about 300...

I use my motif es from time to time.

I haven't touched the triton or micro korg, or mo phatt, or plannet phatt for the longest tho...

Here's what I got tho...

Triton pro x classic wit scsi expansion port, moss expansion board, vintage/analog synths expansion card, dance expansion card, full memory

Planet phat wit extra outs,

Mo phatt

Micro korg

Roland fantom x6

Mpc 4000

Motif es6 wit full memory, mlan

P4 3.2 8 gigs of ram, 1 terrobyte of disk space combined hella software I don't use much

Korg oasys 88 wit lac-1 exi

Mpc 2000xl fully blown wit internal zip drive

*edit* casio cz 1000
All for composition.. I aint really fucked wit recordin recently so I aint name none of that

May 6, 2002
nonstop.bandcamp.com
hell yeah... i mean, i bring in other sounds from time to time.. but the triton hasnt come on for months.. and the motif and fantom usully come on when i take em somewhere else..lol... i was in st louis and had the 2000xl and fantom, and they got there run, but soon as i got back they took there position on the bench...

way too much you can do wit it

Apr 26, 2006
That Roland G looks pretty nice.

Does anyone have a Roland SH-201? I played with it at Guitar Center once, it's pretty nice. :cool:

Anyways, the only hardware I got is an M-Audio Axiom 49 controller. haha

I don't know, but I'm pretty d@mn pleased with getting my sounds from plugins & samples. All those hardware keyboards are cool n shit, but are they really neccessary since there's so many d@mn plugins out there and sample libraries that can do the same shit and more. Not to mention, plugins/samples are hella easy to work with as they sync up nicely to the host and all, they work seamlessly with the computer. None of this need for wires and what not.

Apr 5, 2004
BOOBOO619 said:
All those hardware keyboards are cool n shit, but are they really neccessary since there's so many d@mn plugins out there and sample libraries that can do the same shit and more. Not to mention, plugins/samples are hella easy to work with as they sync up nicely to the host and all, they work seamlessly with the computer. None of this need for wires and what not.
i used to mess wit software and plugins, its koo cuz i had no money at the time, but i didnt like it, i didnt like the feel of doin music on a comp, ive tookn clairnet lessons in skoo in elementry, then electric bass for a few years, and a very little bit of piano lessons, so i like the hardware feel, so now that i got money, i got me a MPC 2000XL, some STANTON TURNTABLES, and im gettin my new MOTIF MM6 on monday, im fucken excited!

Jan 5, 2007
this is something i wanted to get into is making beats but i never really had the money im only 16 do u think i could still get in if i get a job and try i mean there alot for me to learn but i love music

Jul 12, 2002
Ya man get a job and start saving. A lot of online stores will allow you to buy equipment on credit and not have to pay interest for a year. Just make sure you pay that shit off within the year!

Jan 5, 2007
DJ Coma said:
Ya man get a job and start saving. A lot of online stores will allow you to buy equipment on credit and not have to pay interest for a year. Just make sure you pay that shit off within the year!
ight man im try and invest into some keyboards and stuff

thnx

BASEDVATO

Judo Chop ur Spirit
May 8, 2002
Im selling my fantom x6 - i know its a good board, but I like the sounds on my old mo6 better, so Im just going to now get either the Motif ES6 or Korg M3

anyone use the korg M3, how it sound up against the Motif?

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
I'm big on my software integrated setup

Reason 4 (soon to be 5)
Logic 8
Artura analog factory experience
NI maschine
novation zero sl
focusrite saffire pro 40
sony mdr headphones
rode nt1a
stanton t 62

i havnt used the mic or the turntable Im probably gonna sell it dont have alot of use for it, basiically been sampling with maschine usually with my ipod. Ive been using maschine a whole lot but I've been using reason since version 2 so i know its ins and outs fairly well. I make beats in logic too but i like to use that mainly for the better effects. Loving maschne though sampling is fun as hell, first real crack at it on a consistent basis because sampling in reason is a pain in the ass until 5 comes out. My next piece will probably be a hardware synth thinking maybe the roland ghia or a korg radias. With the midi out on the maschine I could put together some crazy shit. One drawback on the maschine is the non drum or one shot type sounds that are in the sound set. i could use midi out to run reason too.

Apr 7, 2006
I got a few racks (Roland JV 2080, SC880, Triton, Proteus & old school ananlog Matrix 1000) that I sequence via DAW... got a MPC 3000 integrated into the setup right now... about to get a MPC 60 in a week or 2... then I'd like to get an older Motif rack...

Jun 9, 2005
www.kevwestbeats.com
I have decided to go all software recently. Just makes a lot of things easier imo. I still love and respect hardware and I am not selling my hardware. I just have been using my software as of late. Who knows eventually ill probably fix my mpc and go back the hardware way again.