What do you guys think about Okami's future?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Dec 30, 2003
I been reading on mmafighting.com that they are thinking the UFC might skip on Okami's title shot... personally i think it sucks that bc a guy isnt the easiest to promote he should be held back or whatever. y the fuck u gonna put him in a #1 contender match if at the end he wins... ur gonna reconsider.... its these new fans getting to Dana and him listening too much.... IMO i dont care if u got a great personality or you are dull as shit... if u go out there and do what ur supposed to do... then u deserve what everyone else gets.

May 6, 2002
I really hope the UFC doesn't take after boxing's trend of where the champ doesn't fight their mandatory as often as they should. I've been criticizing boxing for that for years now.

Give the guy his shot. He earned it...

Jan 7, 2004
Yeah he earned it most def. The guy might not bring fireworks but he overwelms most and at the end of the day he wins fights, he better get a shot.

B-Buzz

lenbiasyayo
Oct 21, 2002
bhibago
last.fm
They don't really have anyone else at 185 to use right now, that's why they fucked up not giving Palhares a rematch against Nate. UFC's middleweight class is hurting right now so Okami's their only chance at stalling long enough for them to sort out what to do with Leben, Bisping, Sakara, Rivera, Stann, Maia and these guys on win streaks who will get killed in a title fight, and then Chael's steroids shit, and Marquardt going downhill these days.

Aug 31, 2003
www.ebay.com
I really hope the UFC doesn't take after boxing's trend of where the champ doesn't fight their mandatory as often as they should. I've been criticizing boxing for that for years now.

Give the guy his shot. He earned it...
Except in boxing if you don't fight your mandatory and the mandatory persists then the champion gets stripped and the mandatory scraps for a vacant title. In a business where the promoter also controls the titles that will never happen they can pick whoever they feel like it to fight for the title.

May 6, 2002
Except in boxing if you don't fight your mandatory and the mandatory persists then the champion gets stripped and the mandatory scraps for a vacant title. In a business where the promoter also controls the titles that will never happen they can pick whoever they feel like it to fight for the title.
That isn't always the case.
It is up to the sanctioning body of whether they want to strip the belt of not. If they feel its a big name fighter and they don't want to lose out on him, then will take the top 2 contenders and have them fight for a interim or lineal champ belt, until the actual champ comes back. The champ can just postpone fighting their mandatory.

Especially when there is an undisputed champ of the division. There is no way the guy can make 5 title defenses a year, so they let the champ push things back. I've seen 2+ years. They don't want their number one guy sitting around either, so he takes on fights for lesser belts.

So many gray areas.

Feb 10, 2006
There's always Wandy Silva too, millions of ppl still wanna see him fight, winning streak or losing streak ppl love the axe murder...

Hope he gets his shot as well,he deserves it...in the end it don't matter who he fights vitor or anderson, there's no way he beats one of these guys...but its mma!

Aug 31, 2003
www.ebay.com
That isn't always the case.
It is up to the sanctioning body of whether they want to strip the belt of not. If they feel its a big name fighter and they don't want to lose out on him, then will take the top 2 contenders and have them fight for a interim or lineal champ belt, until the actual champ comes back. The champ can just postpone fighting their mandatory.

Especially when there is an undisputed champ of the division. There is no way the guy can make 5 title defenses a year, so they let the champ push things back. I've seen 2+ years. They don't want their number one guy sitting around either, so he takes on fights for lesser belts.

So many gray areas.
Fighters fight for an interim title because they buy the bullshit that it'll get them a legit title fight after already being a mandatory. For example, Malignaggi was stripped by the IBF before his fight with Hatton because he wouldn't fight a rematch against his mandatory. The IBF would've got a truckload more off that fight than the did off Urango Vs. Ngoudjo but they had to strip because Ngoudjo's people persisted and more than likely threatened to take it to court.

Sanctioning bodies are ALWAYS gonna try push an interim title because then they get fees from the champ and the interim champ. P.S. lineal titles aren't handed out by sanctioning bodies and there's no "belts" for them.

May 6, 2002
Fighters fight for an interim title because they buy the bullshit that it'll get them a legit title fight after already being a mandatory. Ngoudjo's people persisted and more than likely threatened to take it to court.
I agree. It has happened plenty of times.
That is what I mean. Fighters buying into the "bullshit" of a secondary belt, which realistically just buys the true champ time to do what he wants (vacation, take on another match, etc.). The sanctioning body is forced to put something together in the meantime.

Then there is court. Everything can be settled there. A lot of mandatory challengers opt to take "step aside" money as well. The first time I heard of that I was shocked. How can you take "step aside" money? That's insane.

It just kills the concept of fighting the best in your division.

It's like if 1 team were to just get "bought out" of the super bowl so another team could play. Or the #1 seed in hockey "opting" not to play the #2 seed in the stanley cup.

It just doesn't happen in other sports.
Only in boxing.

I'm saying I hope the UFC doesn't end up like that. Not for me, I'm not even as big of a fan as most people. Just saying for the fighters....

Aug 31, 2003
www.ebay.com
I'm saying I hope the UFC doesn't end up like that. Not for me, I'm not even as big of a fan as most people. Just saying for the fighters....
Yeah we're in agreement here. The only thing I was saying was that if the UFC doesn't want you to fight for a strap, you're not. UFC 100% controls and there's no contract saying it's an eliminator it's just the fighters taking their word which is never a good thing. I couldn't imagine in boxing a sanctioning body telling someone "yeah you won your eliminator fight against a highly but it was boring so I'm giving the shot to a guy that beat you."

Usually UFC sets up the fights that people want between the guys in the organization but sometimes you have to set up the Maynard/Penn after you say it's for a title if he wins, the Okami/Silva after you say it's for a title, the Shields/GSP. Not every worthy challenger is gonna be exciting.

May 6, 2002
The only thing I was saying was that if the UFC doesn't want you to fight for a strap, you're not. UFC 100% controls and there's no contract saying it's an eliminator it's just the fighters taking their word which is never a good thing.
Ya, I don't think they have a legitimate ranking system that they enforce. They may be leaving it loose ended, just for the power to set up intriguing matches.

Every time a fighter steps up and makes noise about the UFC being unfair in their contracts, they get booted before they can rally a group of people. Frank Shamrock, Tito Ortiz, etc.