volunteering in mexico

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 25, 2002
my co worker is going to mexico to build houses for the poor with his church. 90 people are going down and they had to raise $50,000, just to get every1 down there. damn you gotta raise money to volunteer was my first thought.

secondly they are not allowed to use power tools in fear that the locals will feel bad that they do not have access to power tools themselves.
my point is would you rather us build 4 houses by hand or 6-9 with power tools? what would really help/make the ocmmunity feel better? and do the locals really feel that way or is that an imperialist view placed on the locals by the volunteers?

Jun 27, 2002
how the fuck do you build a house with NO POWER TOOLS?

wtf? are you building adobes or something?...mud huts?...some shacks built with 2x4's and nails...?..maybe your building cave homes?

"..ogay...chu guys can no use power too's, chu mudst use juz a hammer and nells to making la casa, en we hab one hammer por chu...did ju bring thay nells ?"

Jun 27, 2002
^ really?...maybe not a tree house.

but to build a solid fopundation, frame and etc...i would imagine something more than a hammer and nails would be needed...

dali

Sicc OG
Feb 28, 2006
mustynutz said:
^ really?...maybe not a tree house.

but to build a solid fopundation, frame and etc...i would imagine something more than a hammer and nails would be needed...
look what the romans and greeks build and that was 400bc.

Jun 27, 2002
THOSE WERE CREATED BY THE GREEK GODS DUMBASS...NOT HUMANS, DUHH...NO HUMAN CAN MAKE THAT SHIT, THEY WERE BUILT TO PROTECT EM FROM THE DINOSAURS

dali

Sicc OG
Feb 28, 2006
you're right, i apologize...found this on wikipedia out of Hesiods Theogony:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theogony

"Because Ouranos knows that one of his children would overthrow him, he tried to imprison each of the children in Gaia, which greatly discomforted her. She asked her children to punish their father. Only Kronos was willing to do so. During Ouranos' attempt to mate with Gaia as he does every night Kronos, with a sickle from Gaia, cut off his father's genitals, castrating him. The blood from Ouranos splattered onto the earth producing Erinyes (the Furies), Giants, and all the ancient temples of greece in order to protect them from the dinosaurs. Kronos takes the severed testicles and throw them into the ocean, around which foams developed and they transformed into the goddess of Love, Aphrodite."

Apr 25, 2002
I can see using hammer and nails. but shit you gotta use a hand saw to cut all the lumber. that is probablly the biggest bitch of it.

is asking me if its a rhetorical question a rhetorical question within itself? if so thats deep.

Jun 27, 2002
well rhetorically speaking, i knew that you know that i know that he knows that they know that that was a rhetorical question so i was watching you watching me watch you and waiting to see your reaction.

dali

Sicc OG
Feb 28, 2006
yea it's a rhetorical question in that case, because i think the people wont be angry at you for using power tools because it's not like you're showing them off, you're just helping them you dont want to make them feel bad or inferior.
I guess they know americans have already discovered the secret of power tools anyways, so they wont be too surprised when they see them.
Cutting lumber with a hand saw is a bitch though....i had to do that for community service a couple of times when it was hot as fuck outside and the saw they gave me was rusty and blunt as well.

Dec 17, 2004
i did that a few months ago. and by our standards, its not really houses being built... theyre just a foundation, four walls, a roof, a window, and a door...all the size of a master bedroom or so. so when thats all your building its very easy to do without powertools. the one i did took about six hours to build with aobut 6-8 other ppl. i only did it once, but i know church groups will spend weeks over there and build a few houses a day everyday for however long they stay there.

as far as using power tools i think thats silly to say the locals will feel bad seeing them used, but from the houses i saw being built, theyre so basic, i dont really think power tools are necessary. if more sophisticated houses were being built than yeah, but i think thatd be really hard to get going, since most the ppl who volunteer have no carpenter/construction experience.

nevertheless its a good cause. these areas of tijuana where the houses are being built are so ridiculously poor, that even a shack being built for them is greatly appreciated

Nov 24, 2003
WTF??? They are making it sound like Mexico is a country comprised entirely of females. Are you going there to make people feel better or build some fucking houses? Next thing you know you gonna get a new memo...

"whatever you do, do not piss standing up because someone may see you and that could make them feel bad about themselves and their squating and pissing ways"

Feb 1, 2006
Humboldt High said:
my co worker is going to mexico to build houses for the poor with his church. 90 people are going down and they had to raise $50,000, just to get every1 down there. damn you gotta raise money to volunteer was my first thought.

secondly they are not allowed to use power tools in fear that the locals will feel bad that they do not have access to power tools themselves.
my point is would you rather us build 4 houses by hand or 6-9 with power tools? what would really help/make the ocmmunity feel better? and do the locals really feel that way or is that an imperialist view placed on the locals by the volunteers?
a few of my friends just got back from going to mexico with their church also doing the same thing. I have no idea if they used powertools or not, thats ridiculous not to. I'm going to ask.