US Incarceration

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Nov 24, 2003
Saw this in The Economist and it got me thinking about it incarceration in the US.

Daily chart: Locked up tight | The Economist

List of countries by incarceration rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

::

Amazing the amount of people in jail here, especially considering "our" perception that this is the "Land of the Free".

Even more amazing IMO when you read stories about high risk sex offenders and child molesters doing like 3 or 4 years behind bars after convictions.

Why do you think incarceration rates are so high here? War on Drugs, socioeconomic, more efficient police and judicial system, etc?

WXS STOMP3R

SENIOR GANG MEMBER
Feb 27, 2006
from what i understand. when the US gives it figures to the UN. it holds back some of the numbers,so it dont look like there as many people incarcerated. so that number is probably bigger than whats accounted for on that chart.

and it's clear why so many people are incarcerated. it's big money.

I could on and on about how and why but i dont got the time to break it down.

Props: Mixerr
Nov 24, 2003
Interestingly in Eric Holder has been saying that federal prosecutors would no longer use mandatory minimum laws for low-level nonviolent drug offenders.

We will see what happens with that.

Nov 1, 2005
its big money because the powers that be understand that these dummys running around the streets are too emotional when it comes to solving problems.killing over a female.killing because someone looked at you wrong.if more motherfuckkers kept their emotions in check and thought shit out maybe those rich prisons owners wouldn't be so rich.

T.C

Sicc OG
Jul 22, 2003
Slavery made this nation one of the weathiest on the planet. But, since slavery has been abolished, a new labor force has to replace slaves. They tried immigrants, but that was too inefficient and costly. Prisoners are perfect for the job because you can pay them shitty wages because nobody is gonna stick their neck out for some gangbanger or pervert convict. All it takes is a bit of social engineering by the government to railroad a large chunk of the US population into the system. Then you add big business and now you have the plantation system revamped. Its the only system that worked, you think the dominant society is gonna pass up on guilt free slavery?

Nov 24, 2003
Winner winner chicken dinner

When you privatize prisons and those prisons (or the corporations that own them) are trade-able on the stock market, you have a serious problem.

The thing about it though, its not really BIG money.

Both publicly traded prison stocks have a market cap of about 3 billion dollars.

For comparison that is roughly the same size as America Online and 1/150th the size of Apple.

Most hedge funds could buy and sell the entirety of both prison stocks on a weekly basis.

May 9, 2002
The thing about it though, its not really BIG money.

Both publicly traded prison stocks have a market cap of about 3 billion dollars.

For comparison that is roughly the same size as America Online and 1/150th the size of Apple.

Most hedge funds could buy and sell the entirety of both prison stocks on a weekly basis.
Understood, but they only max out if you max out the prison...and then some. Stock goes up and stays up if a prison is maxed.

And i woudlnt be surprised if prisons get passed around on a weekly basis.

Doesnt matter how little or how much, the point is its available for trade. Thats an outrage. Prisons should be run by states/US...not by WannaGetFuckedInTheAss Co. Thats bullshit.

Nov 24, 2003
Understood, but they only max out if you max out the prison...and then some. Stock goes up and stays up if a prison is maxed.

And i woudlnt be surprised if prisons get passed around on a weekly basis.

Doesnt matter how little or how much, the point is its available for trade. Thats an outrage. Prisons should be run by states/US...not by WannaGetFuckedInTheAss Co. Thats bullshit.

I agree with you for sure, but I just think that people get carried away with privatized prisons and envision them as some huge corporate conglomerate up there with the likes of Exxon mobile or something.

Apr 4, 2006
www.myspace.com
Saw this in The Economist and it got me thinking about it incarceration in the US.

Daily chart: Locked up tight | The Economist

List of countries by incarceration rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

::

Amazing the amount of people in jail here, especially considering "our" perception that this is the "Land of the Free".

Even more amazing IMO when you read stories about high risk sex offenders and child molesters doing like 3 or 4 years behind bars after convictions.

Why do you think incarceration rates are so high here? War on Drugs, socioeconomic, more efficient police and judicial system, etc?
The reason why conviction rates are so high in the United States is because "usually" defendants are overcharged with "crimes" so instead of being threatened with 5 years in prison they plea out (99.9% of the time) to avoid jail time or at least get minimal time locked up - regardless of the fact they could be innocent...

Hell, I did an 18 month bit here in Illinois. They said if I took my case to trial and was found guilty I could do 15+ years but threw me a plea bargain. The best part about this whole psycho scenario is that I was innocent, and when it came time to "allocute" (or confess) I was committing perjury (which is against the law in the fist place)...

If it matters its; "guilty until proven innocent" not the other way around like it should be and theoretically is not to mention manifested.

No one gives a fuck tho... They only care when they're the ones getting fucked - then it's a big deal - then they understand. Until then you will always have individuals or sheep propping the cops and our judicial system as if the system even cares about justice.

If our system or justice was about justice 90% of lawyers and 90% of judges and 90% of politicians would be in prison as I write this.