Union city sued over racist attacks by latino gang

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 7, 2006
Union City police and school officials have failed to protect African American students from a Latino gang, whose members killed a black youth in 2007 at a middle school and then shot at his friends last weekend in Hayward, according to attorneys who filed a class-action lawsuit Wednesday.

The suit, filed in U.S. District Court in Oakland, accuses Union City police and officials with the New Haven Unified School District of doing nothing to prevent African American students from suffering "severe and pervasive racial harassment." Gang members were responsible for many of the incidents on campus or near schools, according to the suit filed by 10 African American former students of the school district.

In a statement Wednesday, Union City police and city officials said they have a "long-standing record of being responsive to supporting and defending the rights of all members of our diverse community." School officials declined to comment.

The most serious incident cited in the lawsuit happened in December 2007, when Vernon Eddins, 14, was shot and killed in front of Barnard-White Middle School on Whipple Road in Union City. No arrests have been made.

On Saturday, eight African American youths, one of whom was wearing a shirt with Eddins' picture on it, were shot at while at the Southland Mall in Hayward, said the plaintiffs' attorney, Pamela Price. No one was injured.

No arrests have been made, said Hayward police Sgt. Steve Brown.

Although it happened in Hayward, the weekend shooting is the result of a "situation that bubbled out of Union City," Price said at a news conference at the NAACP's office in Hayward.

Hayward police responded quickly to the incident, while their counterparts in Union City have not moved fast enough to stem violence against black youths by Latino gang members, Price said.

In their statement, Union City officials said, "Youth violence is an area-wide issue not respecting municipal boundaries."

Price said her clients are not gang members but are treated as such by Union City police. Officers often ask them, "What did you do to start this?" when "they did nothing," Price said. "To me, that's racial."

Eddins' mother, Angelique Paige, filed a federal civil rights lawsuit last year against police and the New Haven school district, accusing them of "failing to adequately discourage" racial violence. The suit is pending.

Paige cried at Wednesday's news conference as Price said gang members based in Union City's Decoto neighborhood had gloated about Eddins' slaying on a MySpace page.

African American students and their families have been told by police that if they don't like the situation, they should move, said attorney John Burris, who is also representing the plaintiffs.

E-mail Henry K. Lee at [email protected].

This article appeared on page C - 2 of the San Francisco Chronicle

What's the deal bay area people... Yall gettin on that LA shit? where is union city and do blacks and latins get along there usually?

May 2, 2009
Union city is in the East Bay, north of Fremont and south of Hayward. & I've never heard of there being black-brown tension in that area. Probably because there hasn't been any killings resulting from the tension until now... at least as far I know.

Jul 25, 2003
www.brazzers.com
fuck no man this is bullshit..the fucking oakland rejects came over here claiming oakland yelling shit and starting hella problems.motherfuckers jumped my patna at century 25 talking all that spic and wetback shit ...fuck them fagots..not only that after we came back and helped the homeboy what do i see when driving back?them fagots talking to police . they start hella shit and its not covered cuz the always the innocent ones.... BULLSHIT

and NO blacks and latinos currently in the une aint together..imma keep it fucking real its a big racial issue out here but its not just us latinos..the fagots who couldnt live in oakland no more came here and have done nothing but start shit.

and to those saying they never heard of racial tension here...its been here for a quite few years already...

and that little fucking mark that got killed in front of the skool well he was no angel and did a lot of foul ass shit and got what was coming.

Feb 9, 2003
What's the deal bay area people... Yall gettin on that LA shit? where is union city and do blacks and latins get along there usually?
The city is like 20 miles south from Oakland.

But like most Californian cities, the amount of blacks is getting smaller and smaller. I don't know why. My guess you guys are moving further to the southern states. I think there are 3 Mexicans for every black person there. I think even LA has an overwhelmingly Latino population.

Anyways, although there are tons of incidents of "hate crime" related gang violence most violence in NorCal tends to stay in it's ethnic group. Mexicans kill Mexicans. Blacks kill blacks. Whites kill whites. Vietnamese kill Vietnamese.

And unless things changed drastically since I left the bay, I'm sure these kids getting blasted somehow messed with the wrong people. No one ever really kills you up here just because you were black.

fillyacup

Rest In Free SoCo
Sep 27, 2004
i seen that shit too. you see alot of this "this oakland bay shit" going on everywhere and once something pops off the family quick to call foul. the city shouldnt have to pay for shit. thats fucked up because now all thats going to do is put fuel to the fire. i dont give a fuck what race you is. i done seen mexicans coming to towns yelling that "shark tank" shit. you repping your town like you untouchable in someones hometown you asking to get your cap peeled. and fuck your family if they going to "sue the city because they couldnt protect my shit talking sibling/son/nephuew whathave you"

Feb 9, 2003
i seen that shit too. you see alot of this "this oakland bay shit" going on everywhere and once something pops off the family quick to call foul. the city shouldnt have to pay for shit. thats fucked up because now all thats going to do is put fuel to the fire. i dont give a fuck what race you is. i done seen mexicans coming to towns yelling that "shark tank" shit. you repping your town like you untouchable in someones hometown you asking to get your cap peeled. and fuck your family if they going to "sue the city because they couldnt protect my shit talking sibling/son/nephuew whathave you"
Bingo!

I didn't come to Stockton yelling out East Side San Jo and I won't unless I have a death wish. On the East Side Poco Way off of Story is well known, but in Stockton they could give a shit less about San Jose neighborhoods and coming at people here like that, or vice versa is looking for trouble.

Like I said, no one killed this kid just because he was black. Little mothafuckers is just looking for trouble. Look at all these faggots on these boards talking about "East Oakland" or "Town bidnezz" or anything retarded like that. Sure they're willing to throw out them slogans on-line, but bet none of them will do it outside of the city without adequate protection. And that goes for most of the cats on this site.

Is Oakland grimey? Fuck yeah. Is EastOakland187 from the Siccness contributing to that griminess? Fuck no. Come at a solid individual like that and get your clock rocked.

Stupid ass 90's babies. They didn't grow up in the 80's or the early 90's when shit was real. And the results of wearing too much BAPEs and listening to Hyphy Thizz shit is that now that they're getting blasted for having too big a fucking mouth it seems like an unexplainable event to them.

Feb 16, 2006
all that shit sound good y'all kicking, except this was a youngsta in middle school that grown men did a drive by on. not no case of gangsta's funkin wit gangstas. but grown mexicans getting down on dude sitting at the busstop because he was black. please tell me how you can justify that

Jul 25, 2003
www.brazzers.com
all that shit sound good y'all kicking, except this was a youngsta in middle school that grown men did a drive by on. not no case of gangsta's funkin wit gangstas. but grown mexicans getting down on dude sitting at the busstop because he was black. please tell me how you can justify that
fuck no that little fagot got hit by a youngster ..dont speak on shit you dont know..that little bitch was robbing little kids in our area when they were alone and im talking younger then him...that little fuck tried that with the wrong guys brother and got dealt with. no sympathy for him.....and real talk these fagots walk around here talking east oakland east oakland but when they get checked and hit up for it they wanna sue...but nah when they jump and attack a latino out here its good?fuck this bullshit..this is why out here we dont fuck with them oakland rejects...real spit even the black homies say they rejects..

and real talk...i ended up working with one of the blacks we rumbled with a few years later and he said it himself...the reason so many blacks came thru is because BART station is right in the une inside ddoge.....

Mar 8, 2008
blacks/mexicans have been going at it in the town for hella long.. when i was in HS (Fremont High) back in 1997-2001 mexicans were getting jacked everyday by blacks until mofo started getting stabbed.. they was also going at it in Castlemont and most every other high school in Oakland, this shit aint new.. they just fucking with the wrong mofos and getting dealt with. you rarely hear of a mexican mugging a black or any other race in oakland, you cant say the say about blacks. something has to be done, and something has..

Feb 10, 2009
South Sacramento
back in the mid 90's there was alotta fights between mexicans & blacks in some of the high schools in south sac. and a few years ago a crip from garden blocc killed a norteno after they got in fight,and a black dude got shot & killed by some mexicans around the corner from my uncles house in south sac.as far as i know the blacks and mexicans is coo wit each other in northern cali but sometimes funk jumps off between them over stupid shit.

edit: there was also another murder that happened a long time ago when a gang member from the oak park nortenos shot a oak park blood in the face after a drug deal that went bad.

Jan 12, 2010
Real talk when I was in middle school we used to go at it real tuff against the brothas. It gets racial quick. It was like 15 homeboys against like 25-30 brothas. We got masacered 1 year when the pinoys teamed up wit them. We caught some slipping here n there n were always packin blades. We checked the pinoys super bad though. They Neva crossed that line. My brother stuck the main dude in the shoulder n dude lost feeling in some of his fingers. But race is always an issue especially in sckoo

Feb 16, 2006
blacks/mexicans have been going at it in the town for hella long.. when i was in HS (Fremont High) back in 1997-2001 mexicans were getting jacked everyday by blacks until mofo started getting stabbed.. they was also going at it in Castlemont and most every other high school in Oakland, this shit aint new.. they just fucking with the wrong mofos and getting dealt with. you rarely hear of a mexican mugging a black or any other race in oakland, you cant say the say about blacks. something has to be done, and something has..
so you saying blacks need to be dealt with?