UFC 95 Sanchez vs Stevenson?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

Who will win UFC 95 Joe Stevenson Vs. Diego Sanchez ?

• Joe Stevenson via KO or TKO

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Joe Stevenson via Submission

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Joe Stevenson via Decision

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Diego Sanchez via KO or TKO

Votes: 8 42.1%
  • Diego Sanchez via Submission

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Diego Sanchez via Decision

Votes: 5 26.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Feb 7, 2006
Date Time: Feb-21-2009 9pm ET/PT on Spike TV
Event Type: International Event

Lightweight Main event
Joe Stevenson Vs. Diego Sanchez

Joe"Daddy"Stevenson
5'7"
155lbs
Strengths: Good takedowns and submissions
29-9-0
Association: Cobra Kai Laimons School
last 3 wins: Gleison Tibau, Kurt Pellegrino, Melvin Guillard
last 3 losses: Kenny Florian, B.J. Penn, Josh Neer

Diego"Nightmare"Sanchez
5'10"
170lbs
Strengths: Excellent grappling skills Good ground n pound and striking skills
19-2-0
Association: University of Jiu Jitsu
last 3 wins: Luigi Fioravanti, David Bielkheden, Joe Riggs
only losses: Jon Fitch, Josh Koscheck

Feb 7, 2006
UFC Quick Quote: Joe Stevenson banking on small differences to be big factor against Diego Sanchez at UFC 95

“… I also think it is to my advantage to get him in his first fight at 155lbs.This is his first time he has to make this weight, he’ll be a little nervous about that. It takes a few times to get the weight-making down right. Also, it is first time overseas, and jetlag does play a factor. It is only a tiny factor, but it is still there and all those little things like the weight-making, the jet lag, the different weather in England, little things like that all start to add up. Like I said, I think Sanchez won’t be at his very best in this fight as compared to his second or third fight at 155lbs…. I think he is underestimating me, too…. I want to stop Diego. I want to stop him or submit him. That will be a statement right there.”

Apr 25, 2002
Gonna be a decent fight. Give Sanchez 2 - 3 solid 155lb fights and he should be in title contention. Id rather see Sanchez vs Florian....

Sanchez is gonna want to keep it on his feet cause he has better boxing skills and as soon as Joe gets caught with a couple solid jabs hes gonna try to take it to the ground....

Jan 2, 2004
Seems like Joe Daddy thinks the only way he can beat Sanchez is if Sanchez isn't ready for him or has trouble making weight.

Yeah a Sanchez-Florian rematch would be interesting.. Sanchez destroyed him in there first meeting.. I wonder if Sanchez is still that much stronger than him, even though they both are fighting 30 pounds less than they fought on the show.

Feb 7, 2006
DIEGO SANCHEZ DROP TO 155 NOT PERMANENT

When the announcement was made that perennial Top 10 welterweight Diego Sanchez was making a move to lightweight just about every fighter at 155 pounds took immediate notice. From top contenders on down, Sanchez is gunning for the best fighters in the world at lightweight, but as he told MMAWeekly Radio recently, his run at 170 isn't finished either.

Always known for his tremendous strength and cardio conditioning, Sanchez will not accept a loss in either of those categories for his move to lightweight, which may not last as long as some people may have expected.

"I definitely am going to go back to welterweight. Maybe a year, year and a half at this weight, we'll see," he said in the interview. "It's all about the business and the right fights, whatever are the best fights for the UFC. I'm here to put the best fights on for the fans and the UFC, and be the best fighter out there that I can be for you guys."

The New Mexico born fighter attributes the move to lightweight as something he felt necessary at this point in his career, but as he ages, he believes that 170 will be his home once again.

"I'm 27 now, so I'm only in my twenties. When I come into my thirties it's going to be a lot harder to make that weight drop, so I said hey go for the belt at 155 and then later on in my career, I can go for the belt at 170," commented Sanchez.

Working in Lake Tahoe with his camp, he is confident that he will make the 155-pound weight limit with no problem. He's already walking around at a comfortable size ready to make the cut.

"There's no practice run for me. Time is ticking. I started at like 190 at the beginning of the year, and I've just lived very disciplined," stated Sanchez. "(The) first 10 pounds came off easy, second 10 pounds not as easy, and now I'm weighing 166, so I'm about 11 pounds over, fully hydrated. That's before I work out; I'm about 166. I get down to about 163, 162½ after the workout, so I'm at where I need to be in my mind."

For the time being his home is the lightweight division and despite the weight loss, the "Ultimate Fighter" season 1 winner is ready to tackle the world.

"I've never felt better in my life," he said about the weight cut.

Sanchez will close out his camp this week before heading to London to face Joe Stevenson in the main event of UFC 95.

Feb 7, 2006
Diego Sanchez Slams BJ Penn's Cardio

During a media teleconference for Diego Sanchez's lightweight debut against Joe Stevenson at UFC 95 in London, a reporter asked Stevenson who he thought would win in an expected bout between Kenny Florian and BJ Penn.

Stevenson chose Penn--not too surprising given his admiration for "The Prodigy." But he incorrectly assumed Sanchez would mirror his pick.

Sanchez had something else in mind.

"After seeing BJ's performance against St. Pierre, man, I'd say it's a bad time for him to fight anybody right now," Sanchez said. "Man, that guy has zero cardio and he goes into the biggest fight of his life with that type of cardio and endurance? I've never gotten tired in a UFC fight. I've never gotten caught tired in a fight. And to see this guy be that exhausted after one round? I know GSP is tough, but cmon. He burned himself out in the first round just defending those takedowns."

But that wasn't all. He gave Florian more than a fighting chance.

"I think its a bad time for him to fight Kenny Florian," he continued. "As long as Kenny Florian lasts past the first, second round, I think he's going to take over with conditioning. I don't care how talented you are. If you don't have gas in the tank—if the Ferrari doesnt have the gas in the tank, it ain't going to finish the quarter mile, and that's the bottom line."

Stevenson chimed in quickly.

"You make a good point, dude," he said. "I didn't even think about that."

Feb 7, 2006
DIEGO GUNNING FOR PENN, FLORIAN AND SHERK

At UFC 95, former "Ultimate Fighter" winner Diego Sanchez will make his long awaited debut at 155 pounds, but the California based fighter is wasting no time in stepping into the deep end of the pool of lightweights. He will face Joe Stevenson at UFC 95, and he's quick to add that his goal is B.J. Penn and the UFC lightweight championship.

Working for years since his time on the Spike TV reality show to get a shot at the welterweight crown, Sanchez decided it was the best time and place for him to drop weight classes and make a run at the lightweight title before moving back up to 170 and going for the gold there as well.

While he has no problem facing Joe Stevenson in his first fight out, he actually had another fight in mind when the UFC came calling to place him in his first 155-pound contest.

"I asked for Kenny Florian right out of the gate. They gave me Joe Stevenson, but it's all good," Sanchez told MMAWeekly Radio recently. "I can consider it a better fight beating Joe Stevenson. It's the Ultimate Fighter winner, the original Ultimate Fighter winner season 1 versus season 2 Ultimate Fighter winner. We go back to King of the Cage days together and it's a great fight for me, I'm excited."

Sanchez and Florian have a history together from their time spent on the Ultimate Fighter season 1 and, of course, their fight to determine the first ever TUF champion. Sanchez would go on to win by TKO in the first round of that fight. He understands that the Florian he would face now is a completely different fighter, but he believes history would repeat itself.

"Kenny Florian's there and Kenny Florian, he's a great fighter himself, he's came a long way and we all improved," Sanchez stated. So for people to say, 'Oh, Diego Sanchez beat Kenny Florian, that was a long time ago.' Yeah, that was a long time ago, but we've all improved, we've all evolved, and if anything I think I have evolved more than Kenny Florian.

"He has great Muay Thai, but when it comes down to our fight, it's the same fight. I'm not going to fight a counter fighter like Kenny Florian the way Roger Huerta fought Kenny Florian. You've got to be smart. Same way I fought him the first time. You wait and it's going to present itself, and that fight is just a good fight."

The ultimate goal for Sanchez is a shot at the UFC lightweight title, which is currently held by B.J. Penn, but the New Mexico native is unsure that the champion is ready to face him or Kenny Florian for that matter.

"That's the fight," he said about facing B.J. Penn. "I don't know what's going through B.J.'s mind right now, but I know definitely coming off that loss the way he did, it would be a bad time for him to fight either me or Kenny. We're on top of our game right now, and after everything he talked about GSP and then going out there the way he did. I'd have a lot more confidence going into a fight with B.J. Penn (now) than I would have before."

In the fight with St. Pierre, Penn struggled to get out from underneath the Canadian champion, who smothered him with takedowns and ground and pound for the better of four rounds en route to a TKO victory. Sanchez says cardio played a major factor in the fight and he knows he can implement the same strategy if and when he faces Penn.

"I've always thought of B.J. Penn as someone who tires out," he commented. "Even after the Joe Stevenson fight he could barely stand up. He gets tired. I don't know if he doesn't train hard or if he trains hard, but he still tires out. I'm like the exact opposite.

"That's been a dream match-up for me and now with improved striking, I'd love to fight B.J. Penn. That's who I'm gunning for. That's who I'm coming after."

With Penn as champion and Florian as the No. 1 contender, Sanchez admits that there's actually another name out there that he would want to face if given the chance to prove he's the best lightweight in the UFC.

"I want to be know for being able to fight in both weight classes. Cause after this fight, I'm still going to go back to my regular routine lifting weights, getting strong, and in my opinion the No. 1 guy at 155 is Sean Sherk and he's called me out already, so that's another possible fight," he commented.

Whether it's Sean Sherk, Kenny Florian or B.J. Penn, Diego Sanchez has no problem facing any of the top contenders, but first he has to get by Joe Stevenson at UFC 95.

Feb 7, 2006
THE REBIRTH OF DIEGO SANCHEZ STARTS AT UFC 95

There has been a tremendous amount of hype around the move to 155 pounds by former "Ultimate Fighter" season one winner Diego Sanchez, and while he is ready to conquer the world he first has to get by Joe Stevenson on Saturday night at UFC 95 in London.

Sanchez told MMAWeekly Radio recently that he actually asked for a match-up against Kenny Florian for his first bout at lightweight, but he was instead offered former No. 1 contender Joe Stevenson, and the New Mexico native is fine with that choice as well.

"I asked for Kenny Florian right out of the gate. They gave me Joe Stevenson, but it's all good. I can consider it a better fight beating Joe Stevenson," said Sanchez. "It's The Ultimate Fighter winner – the original Ultimate Fighter winner – season one versus season two Ultimate Fighter winner. We go back to King of the Cage days together and it's a great fight for me, I'm excited."

There are a lot of potential match-ups for Sanchez at 155 pounds, but he insists he's not looking past Stevenson. He also feels that The Ultimate Fighter season two winner has no idea what he's up against.

"Joe's a tough opponent, but I can honestly really say this is going to be another level right here for Joe Stevenson," Sanchez stated. "Something that he's never faced before."

One particular area that he has focused on in preparation for this fight is his rapidly improving striking, which he believes is the difference in the bout against Stevenson.

"I want to go in there and I want to show my striking. I showed improvement for the Luigi (Fioravanti) fight. Everybody was impressed with the striking for the Luigi fight, and then for the Thiago (Alves) fight I really, really dedicated myself. I trained hard, and I came up short, getting injured two weeks before the fight. I made a lot of improvements in that camp also," Sanchez commented.

"Now with Joe Stevenson, he's the perfect opponent for me to go in there and show my striking. I'm sure once he gets hit by some of my power, he's definitely going to try to take me down, but that's cool with me too cause the more he tries to take me down the more he's going to get tired. I know Joe's a great athlete, but I know he has not put the work in like me."

The work that Sanchez has done is not only drop the weight to make 155 pounds, but do so in a way that doesn't cost him any power or cardio that he had when fighting at 170 pounds. EliteXC welterweight champion Jake Shields helped him with his camp and he's ready to prove that the training has paid off.

"In my opinion the fight is always in the training," said Sanchez. "This is going to definitely by far be the best Diego Sanchez, the best looking Diego Sanchez, the best trained Diego Sanchez, and definitely the most focused Diego Sanchez you'll ever see. It was a challenge to make the weight. It was just pure discipline."

Believing in his ability to be the best in the world, Sanchez says fans can expect a whole new beast when he steps in the cage on Feb. 21, and then the "Nightmare" begins.

"This is my rebirth. I was on my way to starting a legacy back when I was 19-0 and this is my rebirth for that Diego legacy," Sanchez said. "Not only am I going to make a statement the way I look, I'm also going to make a statement the way I fight."

Feb 7, 2006
Nightmares for the ‘Nightmare’

Fear can be a crippling, inescapable affliction. For Diego “Nightmare” Sanchez, it’s a part of mixed martial arts he conquers through discipline, tenacity and faith. He loses control, however, when he sleeps. A recurring dream in which Sanchez drives off a bridge, becomes trapped under water and never escapes haunts him.

“I’ve had so many nightmares in my life,” Sanchez says.

That drowning feeling guides Sanchez through his professional fighting career. Once proud of his undefeated status, Sanchez -- who won his first 17 bouts -- lost back-to-back fights against American Kickboxing Academy teammates Josh Koscheck and Jon Fitch in 2007. He does not view those defeats as real-life nightmares, even though he fought back from them as if he were waking from a cold sweat; he pounded out David Bielkheden at UFC 82 and then stopped gritty former Marine Luigi Fioravanti at “The Ultimate Fighter 7” Finale.

His true fighting-related fear remains fatigue.

“That’s the worst nightmare I’ve had about mixed martial arts because when you get tired, that is the nightmare,” he says. “That’s why my nickname is the ‘Nightmare,’ because my goal is to go into that ring, keep such a high pace ... you get tired, and you’re done man. There’s nothing worse than knowing you have heart, you’re a warrior, but you’re legs aren’t working, your legs are burning, your lungs can’t take in enough oxygen, your arms, just the muscles aren’t working.”

Those fears have never been realized inside the cage. The son of a construction worker, Sanchez was a standout high school wrestler in New Mexico before he began training MMA while he worked at UPS unloading trucks. After a day’s training at Jackson’s Submission Fighting in Albuquerque, N.M., he would speed to work with little or no time to eat, often arriving just two or three minutes after he was supposed to punch in for duty. For 10 months, he was “the best worker he could be,” with no air conditioning in temperatures as high as 118 degrees. An avid weightlifter, Sanchez started the job at 202 pounds and ended up at 185. Those days, he recalls, made him “the champion” the MMA world sees today.

As a King of the Cage titleholder, Sanchez tore threw the inaugural season of “The Ultimate Fighter” as a young, focused middleweight who only had one goal -- to become a UFC champion. The acclaim from his performance and subsequent victories placed Sanchez on the fast track to a title. But he took to the bottle. He never cheated himself, he says, but the spoils of fame padded his training camps with too much excess.

“It definitely slowed me down,” Sanchez says. “I probably could have been the champion by now. It’s just life; you gotta grow up, and I think everybody has to figure that out.”

In preparing for his UFC 95 tangle with Joe Stevenson this Saturday at the O2 Arena in London, it’s easy for Sanchez to appreciate the road he’s on now. Settled in a private camp with friend and professional boxer Joey Gilbert in the cradles of South Lake Tahoe, Calif., Sanchez trains, eats and sleeps just as much as he lights incense, meditates and stretches. No one’s watching, and there’s no city and no love -- Sanchez was once engaged to former UFC ring girl Ali Sonoma -- to distract him.

It seemed crazy to leave Jackson’s Submission Fighting -- his lifelong gym and one of the top camps in the country -- but Sanchez knew it was the right path for him to take. He sought out two of the best grapplers in the world, the Ribeiro brothers, Xande and Saulo. The pair of aces sharpens his submission game, and training with Lupe Aquino has developed a faster, stronger jab. Fighters come in by the week to prime Sanchez.

“You think I’m gonna get better?” Sanchez asks, citing the all-star credentials of those in his camp.

No aspect of the professional fight game is lost on the 27-year-old. He wants to show UFC brass and Spike TV that he belongs in main events. First, he has to make weight, as his bout with Stevenson represents his debut at 155 pounds. He also has a desire to look impressive on the scales. He wants people to look at him and be aware that his diet was perfect and his cardio training has no equal.

“It’s work but in another sense. When you love what you do, it’s not work,” Sanchez says. “I’m just enjoying my life being a fighter, and training in the mountains has always been a dream come true.”

Sanchez, a highly touted prospect at 170 pounds, sees his move to lightweight as the quickest route to a championship. It also poses a tougher challenge in his mind, and he wants to seize the opportunity now -- he does not believe his body can handle the cut to a lower weight class once he reaches his 30s. For now, he feels his strength, speed and flexibility will improve at 155, a weight class where he will not be competing against opponents with significant weight advantages like he did as a welterweight.

The decision to change divisions was divinely inspired, Sanchez says, after a precise shot to his rib took it out of place and took him out of a showdown with Thiago Alves at UFC 90 in October. Despite moving to 155 pounds, he hopes to avenge his welterweight losses to Koscheck and Fitch and eventually fight 170-pound kingpin Georges St. Pierre, becoming a multi-division champion -- perhaps even a legend -- in the process.

To get to the next level, Sanchez has worked to evolve his wrestling. To that end, he has brought in famed wrestling coach Bob Anderson. Sanchez gave up an opportunity to wrestle at William Penn University because he did not want to cut weight -- he wanted to fight. Now, he does both.

Of course fighting is for a living now, but he used to do it on the streets. Sanchez was celebrating a strong showing after Grappler’s Quest once when he and his cousin were badly outnumbered in a brawl.

“I really thought I was going to die,” he says.

The fear of dying still perturbs Sanchez. Losing a fight now means a relatively minor setback, but at some level he feels it’s still a fight for survival. The same could be said for Stevenson: A fellow winner of “The Ultimate Fighter,” he has lost two of his last three fights. He’ll be hungry for a win, and a hungry Stevenson is something to worry about.

Sanchez knows the nightmares end when he wakes up, though. And in the cage, there are few realities he hasn’t conquered.

Feb 7, 2006
UFC 95: JOE STEVENSON IS RISING TO THE OCCASION

Having made his name in the Octagon via the UFC's welterweight division – he's currently the No. 8 ranked fighter in the world at 170 pounds – Diego Sanchez on Saturday night marks his lightweight debut. Waiting to welcome him to the division when the door to the cage closes at UFC 95 will be Joe Stevenson.

Though it will be Sanchez's first time fighting at 155 pounds, Stevenson says he doesn't expect his foe will suffer from any residual effects of the weight cut.

"That'd be really cool if I get an advantage," he said recently, "but I think Diego is such a professional that the first initial weight cut isn't going to be a factor. I think he's going to come in here 110 percent prepared."

Of course, he's prepared as well, maybe to the greatest extent of his career. "I feel great coming into this fight. I hit a turning point in the camp where emotionally and spiritually and physically I just started to excel. I'm hitting new levels."

That's no small feat considering that the 26-year-old has been fighting since he was 16, amassing a professional record of 29-9.

Fighting since he was 20, Sanchez counts 21 bouts on his own resume, so there's not a tremendous disparity in experience when the tale of the tape is read.

"I think we're fairly, pretty matched even, me having been a 170-pounder in the past, too," said Stevenson.

There is a big difference as they enter the Octagon at UFC 95, though. Sanchez comes into the fight on a two-fight winning streak, having bounced back from the first two losses of his career. Stevenson, on the other hand, is 1-2 in his three most recent bouts. He lost in a title bid against current UFC lightweight champion B.J. Penn, subbed Gleison Tibau, then was succinctly derailed by No. 1 contender Kenny Florian.

It's been a period of growth for Stevenson, however. He's made a lot of changes since failing to capture the title. He has made the move from "Sin City" back to his hometown of Victorville, Calif., where he has opened up his own school.

"I fought a little over a year ago for that title. Things that have changed in my life since then, moving a way from Vegas, staying away from temptation," he relayed.

Moving wasn't the only change though. He has made what are arguably bigger changes; some inspired by his eight-year-old son. " I haven't drank since that, actually. I made some life changing modifications. I took my son out for Christmas. I said, you can have anything you want for Christmas, and he asked me to stop chewing. So, I've stopped chewing, I stopped drinking... and I feel like I was robbing myself, honestly. There'll be plenty of time to do that silly stuff when I'm older and I'm done fighting."

He realizes that the lifespan of a professional athlete's career is not prone to longevity, his already being longer than most. The changes that he has made are geared towards one goal, a return shot at the UFC title. The first step back is the fight with Sanchez at UFC 95.

"The winner of this fight is, bar none, not only in the fan's eyes, but in a lot of the fighters' eyes, deserving of any title shot," said Stevenson.

That's a lot of pressure, but it comes with the territory when you strive to be the best. It's a pressure that both fighters have dealt with for years.

"Everyone has different pressure in their lives that affects them. It's what you do under that pressure that makes you who you are. Do you fold? Do you rise to the occasion? Do you perform?" said Stevenson, fortified by his 10 years in the sport. "And that's what separates Diego and myself from other fighters, we rise to occasions."

The question is, which one will rise to the occasion at UFC 95 in London?

Feb 7, 2006
Stevenson, Sanchez On Weight for UFC 95

Lightweights Joe Stevenson and Diego Sanchez hit their marks and will meet at UFC 95 “Stevenson vs. Sanchez” at the O2 Arena in London on Saturday.

Both winners of “The Ultimate Fighter” TV series, Stevenson weighed in at 155 pounds, while Sanchez came in at 156 pounds at the event’s official weigh-in on Friday.

Former KOTC champion Stevenson (29-9) had a rocky year in the UFC’s deep lightweight ranks and will be out to redeem himself in front of UK fans after divisional king B.J. Penn easily handled him at UFC 80 in Newcastle, England over a year ago. Mentally, it might not be an easy task for Stevenson, who was steamrolled by Kenny Florian at UFC 91 last November with a first-round rear-naked choke.

Sanchez (19-2), who begins a run at 155 pounds on Saturday, is 2-2 in his last four outings. The New Mexican firebrand fell to top-shelf welterweights Josh Koscheck and Jon Fitch in 2007, but bounced back in 2008 with wins over Swedish standout David Bielkheden and American Top Team’s Luigi Fiovaranti. Still, a drop to lightweight might be just what the doctor ordered.

In two featured middleweight matchups, Nate Marquardt (17-8-2) and ATT opponent Wilson Gouviea (12-5) both took to the scale at 185 pounds. Look for either to emerge as a contender for UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva’s crown with a strong performance on Saturday.

Chael Sonnen (21-9-1), who closed out the WEC’s now defunct middleweight division last November with a clear-cut victory over sluggish former champ Paulo Filho, weighed in at 185 pounds. His next challenger, Brazilian jiu-jitsu ace Demian Maia, will be guarding his unblemished record against the former U.S. World Team Greco-Roman wrestler and furthering his campaign for a title shot as well. Maia (9-0) came in at 184 pounds.

UFC 95 Weigh-In Results

Diego Sanchez (156) vs. Joe Stevenson (155)
Dan Hardy (170) vs. Rory Markham (170)
Nate Marquardt (185) vs. Wilson Gouveia (185)
Chael Sonnen (185) vs. Demian Maia (184)
Josh Koscheck (170) vs. Paulo Thiago (169)
Terry Etim (156) vs. Brian Cobb (155)
Junior dos Santos (237) vs. Stefan Struve (240)
Per Eklund (155) vs. Evan Dunham (154)
Neil Grove (263) vs. Mike Ciesnolevicz (235)
Troy Mandaloniz (168) vs. Paul Kelly (169)