UFC 197: Diaz vs. McGregor [3/5/16]

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 25, 2002
Ask any fighter if they would prefer getting elbowed in the head or potentially break their leg from a kick like that. You hear the same stuff from NFL players about how they would rather risk getting a concussion versus getting their leg blown out (high vs low tackle, etc).

We all know fighters are warriors who put their bodies and lives on the line but that doesn't mean there shouldn't be some protection, and there is already, plenty of rules in the sport to protect the fighters. We want fighters to have lengthy careers when possible, not cut short due to some cheap shit.

I just don't see any kind of logical defense for this. I mean think about it, what of he broke Diaz' leg here? He's the better fighter because he pulled a cheap move? Nah, we saw the end result so it obviously would have been a tragic if that's how it ended. The sport will be fine without moves like this. And I understand what you're saying in the other post, how some things are legal and others not when it's a super fine line and perhaps doesn't always make a lot of sense, however I think this is a particularly clear cut example of something that shouldn't be allowed.
it probably will be illegal eventually, but a fighter who has been training Muay Thai for years and has a whip of a leg will also hyperextend your knee. that's pretty clear cut. those Muay Thai low kicks happen regularly, a whole lot more than oblique kicks. it's not an oblique kick, like Bones/Holm, but it has more of an effect like the kick McGregor got on Nate since Conors kick was to Nates side. that's why fighters (try to) check those low Muay Thai kicks. it's still going to hurt, but it won't hyperextend your knee. Fighters like Nate and Nick Diaz have more of a boxing stance so they're prone to those Muay Thai kicks without checking them.

so if oblique kicks were banned, i don't think it's much of a big deal. again, Jon Jones and Holly Holm are the only ones that really do those. McGregor mostly does Karate and Taekwondo kicks and doesn't go for the legs. but every mma gym damn near has a Muay Thai coach, on top of mma fighters who were/are professional Muay Thai fighters. some Muay Thai coaches rather focus training on low kicks rather than high kicks and hands. hyperexteding the knee is a constant threat that will not be banned.

Apr 25, 2002
Rampage Jackson said his knees were never the same after fighting Jon Jones because of those knee kicks. Shit is hot garbage. Every single time a fighter throws one even Joe Rogan says something like "a lot of people think they should be outlawed".

The problem is it would be hard to regulate because you would have to have literal kick placement regulation so that would probably kill regular leg kicks too and we can't do that.

Rampage/Jon Jones is the reason why those kicks are controversial.

Jan 18, 2006
^^^ No possible way to post a instagram photo/video unless you could post it as a jpg or something. Siccness is way behind the times

Last edited:

infinity

( o )( o )
May 4, 2005
UOENO, CA
Apr 25, 2002
i just see Nate making Conor look like a fool. Conor barely edged a first round over an 11 day notice Nate who was just partying and sick in Mexico. Nate with a full camp and real sparring is going to fuck Conor up.