Twisted Metal: Harbor City

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Sep 20, 2005
FUCK YOU
Twisted Metal: Making Car Combat an Online e-Sport
Sweet Tooth deserves real competition

Between blasting oncoming cars with homing missiles and hitting a nitrous boost before a jump, David Jaffe -- one of the original creators of the Twisted Metal series -- turned to me and said that he wanted his upcoming creation to be an e-Sport.

Twisted Metal popularized the car combat sub-genre back in the PlayStation era and introduced gamers to demonic clowns, emotionally disturbed truck drivers, and cannibals. The latest Twisted Metal, in development exclusively for the PlayStation 3, brings car combat back into the spotlight for the first time this generation. This time, the developers at Eat Sleep Play have looked closely at Twisted Metal's competitive multiplayer suite. The goal: create the richest experience possible without losing that classic "Twisted" feel. So far, the team looks on track.

During a visit to Sony's San Diego Studios, Jaffe sat me down in front of Twisted Metal and -- as he tends to do -- unleashed his excitement over the project in the form of rapid-fire information. With the Twisted Metal multiplayer suite undergoing testing right in front of me, it was clear that the level design, power-ups, and vehicles work in tandem to facilitate robust combat that withstands repeated play and accommodates high levels of skill.

The first item on Jaffe's tour: a rooftop level (something of a staple for the franchise). The stage offers a variety of possibilities and the center pillar rotates in real-time which complicates jumps in the most delightful way possible. Jaffe also noted that the rotating platform creates interesting chases, as well as making combat more exhilarating.

Jaffe continued to comment on the rooftop, referencing game designers' compulsion to create "symmetrical levels" to facilitate balanced competitive play. As Jaffe drove around the charred buildings, he explained that developers can still build symmetrical play spaces without making them geographically symmetrical. Although the rooftops aren't mirrored, the same opportunities exist for each player throughout the space. This includes destructible landmarks and power-up locations.

The power-ups are even more exciting. Jaffe and his team have poured over each item to tune the way they deal damage, how much damage they deal, and alternative uses for each. Many of the power-ups can be charged before deployment, creating a risk/reward dynamic for players that wait until the last minute before pulling the trigger.

Usual suspects such as the homing missile and shotgun improve in accuracy and power, respectively, when charged. Other items like the remote mine add strategic elements over the preexisting systems. When launched, an extra window appears on your HUD that displays the mine's surroundings. As enemies drive by, you can see their location in relation to the mine and detonate it accordingly. And of course charged mines enjoy more devastating results.

While power-ups are available to any player, some of the most brutal attacks come from each car's special ability. Some cars, like Junkyard Dog, have support abilities needed to sustain the other members of a team. This means teams that wisely select the vehicles used benefit from a wider range of skills.

Certain restrictions prevent teams from building an overpowering force, however. Only one Juggernaut can exist at a time, for example, while only a handful of aerial vehicles can roam the stage. Jaffe wants players to have plenty of options here; options that dramatically alter the play experience but don't upset one team's ability to emerge from the battlefield victorious.

These more visible possibilities drive atop a foundation of countless design choices. The Eat Sleep Play team debated at length over what to do if a player falls off the stage -- should he die or just take fall damage?

While Twisted Metal still rocks the car combat in a fun, explosive way, intelligent rules work behind the scenes to ensure long-term commitment to the competitive suite. Player profiles level-up over time and unlock additional content, though Jaffe was quick to note that new content doesn't mean better content. Even a new player stands a chance against someone with everything unlocked. He just doesn't have as many options.

Twisted Metal launches on February 14th, 2012 for the PlayStation 3.

fillyacup

Rest In Free SoCo
Sep 27, 2004
Twisted Metal Creator Doesn't Want PSN Online Pass

David Jaffe, perhaps one of the most famous game developers in the industry, is on the verge of reviving his famous car combat franchise Twisted Metal. The game is set to come exclusively to the PlayStation 3 on Valentine's Day in 2012. We recently sat down with Jaffe and saw Twisted Metal in action, and you can check out our impressions here.

But when speaking with Eurogamer, Jaffe had something interesting to say about the online PSN Pass in particular. Recently instituted in Sony first party games like Resistance 3 and Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception, the PSN Pass gives gamers access to the online features of those games. Players who purchase the game new get a pass included free of charge, but buying the game used or borrowing it from a friend will require you to drop $10 on a pass of your own via the PlayStation Store.

Twisted Metal seems like a rather obvious target of the PSN Pass, since it places great emphasis on its online functionality. But Mr. Jaffe would rather see that it wasn't used on his game. "I'd actually prefer that we don't [include PSN Pass]," Jaffe told Eurogamer, "even though it's probably good business, only because we have such a mountain to climb in terms of gaining people's good faith, especially in Europe, and really letting people know that this is a title that's worth getting excited about."

He went on to state that "the online" portions of Twisted Metal are "so much the bread and butter of this game," but concluded that the decision to include PSN Pass or not isn't up to him. "It's not my call and I'd totally understand if Sony as a company said 'Look, this is a mandate that permeates all of our titles. We're not making selective choices.' Those are decisions that I'm no longer privy to as I don't work for Sony any more."

The Eurogamer interview touches on a number of other subjects as well, and is absolutely a worthwhile read for anyone anticipating Twisted Metal.

fillyacup

Rest In Free SoCo
Sep 27, 2004
Twisted Metal: Hello, Mr. Grimm

Twisted Metal includes an online multiplayer mode designed to facilitate an e-sport experience in which skilled players can compete in a balanced arena. Even though matches burst at the seams with flaming metal hulls and outlandish weapons, the development team has worked to ensure that this Twisted Metal packs the best multiplayer the series has ever had. But you still have plenty of options if you want to wreck shop solo and face off against massive boss characters.

Unlike past Twisted Metal games, the latest Twisted Metal divides its story between just a small selection of characters, including Sweet Tooth, Dollface, and Mr. Grimm. During Sweet Tooth's campaign, everyone's favorite demonic clown runs into the Brothers Grimm -- the first major boss. An intimidating encounter, considering the "boss" is actually two house-stomping monster trucks equipped with a small nation's worth of weapons.

This battle will heighten blood pressures within moments. Both trucks unleash devastating ordnance onto the stage causing buildings to erupt and cars to swerve in response. The trucks also release a shockwave attack that requires a well-timed jump to avoid.

Just like the many video game bosses of the past, defeating one of the trucks will send the other into a fervor, making it a much more difficult opponent to finish off. Whittle it down to low enough health and the truck deploys additional armor that protect it from your weapons. Guess what that means? You need to drive Sweet Tooth's ride directly under the truck and give your gunner enough time to leap onto the undercarriage and plant a bomb to blow off the armor. Precarious, and equally fun.

If the battle against the Brothers Grimm is any indication of the quality of the Twisted Metal boss fights, color me intrigued. And for those of you eager for a real car combat challenge, crank up the difficulty on this one and punish yourself with a truly maniacal fight.

Twisted Metal launches on February 14th, 2012.

This article is based on a gameplay demonstration conducted by Twisted Metal creator David Jaffe. The session was supervised by Sony representatives. The game build used was feature incomplete.