TUCSON POLICE OFFICER DEAD WOUNDING 2 DEPUTIES...

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Oct 30, 2002
www.soundclick.com
^^^ NICE....

MORE ON THE STORY

Tucson Region
Suspect issued bizarre threats on MySpace
By Kim Smith and Brady McCombs
Arizona Daily Star
Tucson, Arizona | Published: 06.03.2008
advertisement
The MySpace messages ranged from bizarre to downright scary.
On Dec. 1, 2007, David "Nick" Delich, contacted former classmate and prom date Erin Schrader for the first time since he graduated from Sabino High School in 2001.
Delich, using the screen name "Bogoljub," told Schrader that he was finally in a place where he could "capitalize on all his hard work" and put people in their place.
In the next, Delich said he was going to re-create the Holocaust and Schrader should "paint a target" on her forehead.
A few days later, "I have a surprise for you and your family, but I have to give it to you in person. It will be awesome."
The last message, dated Feb. 27, 2008, was addressed to "Hey Phony" and asked, "Ready to spontaneously combust?"
Alarmed, Schrader got in touch with some of her old friends who knew Delich.
It turns out that at least six of them had received similar messages.
Like Schrader, they had tried to block Delich's messages, only to have him send more messages under a different screen name.
It got to the point, Schrader said, that she looked over her shoulder wherever she walked, locked her bedroom door at night and told everyone she knew to give police Delich's name if anything ever happened to her. She also said she called police after the last e-mail to report Delich.
So when she heard that three local law-enforcement officers had been shot — one fatally — and that Delich, 25, was a suspect, Schrader got mad.
"I was mad the police hadn't taken me more seriously," Schrader said. "I can't say this could've been prevented, but it (my report) should've been so much more of an eye-opener."
In fact, if police had checked out Delich's MySpace accounts, they would have seen a blog written on Feb. 22, Schrader said. The blog says, "Soon, I plan to kill many police officers."
The unpunctuated and uncapitalized message discusses what he calls trumped-up charges, a plan to shoot "them," and getting shot instead.
"that was the plan, wasn't it? backfire time. well see who gets shot and killed. and that is a threat to you pigs. every one. Ill see you, when your all alone. and itll be me and you. and then well see how it goes down. oh. were gonna see. boy are we."
The name "David Nickolas Delich" never appears on that MySpace account, nor are there any photos of him, but Schrader and her friend Katie Freibert are convinced that the account belongs to Delich.
The messages they've received from "Zeljko" and "Bogoljub" are far too similar to not be the same person, the women said. The "Zeljko" messages were also sent after they'd blocked "Bogoljub" from contacting them.
Delich was always a little odd, a handful of his former classmates said Monday.
He told Schrader and Freibert that he was a prophet, put on Earth for a reason.
Schrader remembers that Delich would often change religions and try to persuade his friends to convert as well. He also had ideas and theories that were strange but that they simply brushed off.
Stepbrothers Shane Corrie and Jesse Wood, both 25, met Delich in their freshman year at Sabino.
They said Delich was a "pretty normal" teenager, albeit quiet and reserved. He wasn't involved in any clubs or sports but was generally accepted by his peers. He "experimented" with drugs such as marijuana, mushrooms, cocaine, LSD and Ecstasy, they said.
According to online court records, Delich has been arrested six times since 2002 on misdemeanor charges, including accusations of liquor-law violation, marijuana possession and disorderly conduct. Five of the charges were dismissed. He was placed on probation last July after pleading guilty to criminal trespass in Ajo Justice Court.
Around his senior year, Delich began isolating himself and became more unstable, Corrie and Wood said.
"He started to get gradually crazier and crazier, and started saying some crazy stuff later on," Corrie said.
He would say he was a descendant of Jesus and had a hole in his neck that marked him as having direct lineage to Jesus. He also would tell people that he could make the wind move and then take them outside and say, "Can you feel that?"
After high school, he didn't work or go to college, they said.
"He never did anything except sit around and think weird, crazy thoughts," Corrie said.
Neither Corrie nor Wood had seen Delich in the past few years, but they kept in touch with him through e-mails and MySpace, they said.
The brothers learned of Delich's love of guns, resentment toward girls and hatred of authority from his e-mails and his "Bogoljub" MySpace account.
The last time Delich signed into that account in January, he listed his mood as "stalked."
Freibert said Delich's messages to her started off friendly, then became sexually inappropriate and later threatening.
"He said he'd been put here to take me out," Freibert said. "He also said he wanted to see me burn."
Delich has been posting photos of the handguns and assault rifles he owned on Myspace for some time, Corrie said.
He also became very interested in Muslim extremism and made lists of people who were righteous or cruel, Wood said.
Corrie said he received a death threat from Delich through MySpace two weeks ago and sent him back a message trying to defuse the anger.
"I tried not to antagonize him," Corrie said. "I didn't put it past him to do something crazy."
Even as Delich's behavior grew more strange, they thought he was all talk. He had been in only one minor fistfight during the entire time Wood knew him.
"It was one of the things you don't take seriously," Wood said. "You never think it was really going to happen. . . . We just thought that he was kind of out there but harmless."
Schrader and Freibert, however, were convinced that something was going to happen and feel they were "blown off" by the police. Freibert said officers told her she needed to have Delich's physical address before she could get a restraining order.
Lt. Claudette Gross of the Tucson Police Department said she was unaware of the women's attempts to report Delich's behavior. However, if officers determine a credible threat has been made under Arizona statutes, an investigation will be launched, Gross said.
Delich's attorney, Brick Storts, also represented Delich on his misdemeanor charges. Delich spent 30 to 60 days at Palo Verde Hospital for psychiatric care several years ago, Storts said.
"I'm going to have a psychologist or psychiatrist talk to him as soon as possible so we can get a picture of his mental status right now," Storts said. "The kid is extremely distraught and maybe a bit disassociated. He seems like he doesn't have a complete understanding of what's going on."
A person at Delich's father's store said no one would talk about the incident.
● Contact reporter Kim Smith at 573-4241 or [email protected].

"He was very well-respected by his peers," Lopez said. "He was the kind of guy who would very rarely take a break during his 10-hour shift. It was not uncommon for him to lead his squad in all statistics."
Hite's traffic stops - 700 in 2006 - were more than double the average for officers, and he was also a leader in a number of other categories at Division East, Lopez said.