This Reporter spits THE TRUTH about Wack Rappers....

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Sep 16, 2002
**I thought I would share this with this board since a good amount of you all
have been into Rap/Hip Hop for a long time...the REAL OPEN MINDED Juggalos AND VETS on this board would love this report....to the YOUNG cats on this board... LEARN SOMETHING by reading on...**

CREDIT: HipHopDX.com
Author:J-23

Critical Minded: Why Does Jeezy Get A Pass For Being Wack?

Since when did mediocrity become acceptable for emcees in hip-hop? I realize that the overall quality of music isn’t what it was 15 or even 10 years ago, I’m not here to complain or debate about that. But has the game taken such a dip over the years that our standards have been lowered to the point that mediocrity is excused, accepted and even celebrated? Apparently.
Here is what I’m talking about. Whenever you criticize one of today’s “hot” artists about their abilities you’re met with the same excuse every time. Criticize Game for his redundant droning on about lowriders, point out Young Jeezy is a terrible rapper blessed with great beats, or say that Yung Joc is, well, just flat out wack. The argument will go something like this;
“Fuck that, you’re just a hater. Not everyone is gonna spit lyrics like Nas or Lupe. He just do what he do, he ain’t gonna spit some political or conscious raps. He lived his life and just tells us how it is, its his culture, how you gonna criticize for that. Fuck you hater.”
Now, I’ll admit this argument does have some validity. Anyone who listens to a Young Jeezy album expecting to be enlightened or challenged, and criticizes the album when they aren’t, is being unrealistic and lacking perspective. Now, does that mean Jeezy is off the hook for his lack of lyrical ability? Hell no. Jeezy rhymes about little more than dealing coke, guns, money, and other trappings of his environment. That’s all fine by me, I’m not listening to him expecting to hear his take on politics. What is not okay is that he cannot do what he does well. “Not everyone is as lyrical as Jay-Z.” Yeah, does that mean its ok to be shitty at what you do? Clipse and T.I. basically rhyme about the exact same topics as Jeezy, and they do it really fucking well. So why can’t I say Jeezy only deserves credit for his beat selection? That’s all he does worth a shit! Go ahead, call me a hater. Look, I like Jeezy’s album, but I’m not gonna call him a dope emcee or defend him as one because he can make good music. That may make him a good artist, but not a good emcee.
The same goes for Game, these fools got their panties in a bunch because I criticized Game for talking about the same shit over and over and over (and over) again on his album. Claiming lowriders, rims, etc are just part of west coast culture. Yes, they are, I know that. Does that mean you need to do little other than reference them for an entire album? No. Does that mean you can do it with no creativity whatsoever and be immune from criticism? No. I love west coast gangsta rap when it’s done well. I grew up on NWA, Dre, Snoop, Cube, Spice 1, Compton’s Most Wanted, DJ Quik etc. Game rarely does it well.
“Blah blah blah Compton, blah blah blah khakis, blah blah blah 100 spokes, blah blah blah chronic smoke, blah blah blah I’ll kill you, blah blah blah lowrider, blah blah blah Dr. Dre, blah blah blah blood, blah blah blah gangbangin”…and so on.
Fill in the blanks and you can create your own verse from The Game. But sometimes he decides to actually use his talent (which he certainly does have), and he makes songs like Ol’ English or Doctor’s Advocate. Funny thing is, he still references his usual topics but he does it with some actual context and meaning rather than just saying shit cause its part of his gimmick. Again, go ahead, call me a hater just because I don’t have a homoerotic blind allegiance for him and don’t call everything he does a classic.
Stop making fucking excuses for mediocrity. “Yo he makes music for the clubs, shit doesn’t have to be good.” No! That is no excuse for making shitty music. Lyrics in a song made for the clubs can still be good too, look at the shit Ludacris makes. Southern Hospitality, Move Bitch, Stand Up, etc. are dope ass rhymes for a club track. Joc’s rhymes in It’s Goin Down are not. “Oh Joc ain’t lyrical like Luda.” Oh okay, so I’ll just accept that and call him dope because I realize his shortcomings. Fuck that, he’s wack because of those shortcomings, he doesn’t get off the hook because I realize he ain’t no Luda. That is what makes Ludacris a great emcee and Yung Joc a bad one!
“He do what he do,” “he does his thing,” or any other cliché, meaningless statement like that does not excuse someone from criticism. At least I can still enjoy Game or Jeezy’s music even though I know what they don’t do well. I could just be what you all like to call “a hater” and just call everything they do wack because I don’t like something about them. Bottom line is, I give credit and criticism where its due. But I ain’t gonna call someone dope just cause they have good production or sell a lot of records. Shiiit, I’ll flat out call myself a fan of cats who I know aren’t good rappers, but I like the songs they make. Why the fuck can’t people separate the two?
When the fuck did selling records automatically makes you a dope rapper? With the exception of a few rappers who’ve had well deserved commercial success, most folks who blow up do so because they are marketable and can make a catchy song, not because they are in fact talented emcees. Like Jay just said “the game’s fucked up/ nigga’s beats is banging/nigga ya hooks did it/your lyrics didn’t/your gangsta look did it/so I would write it/if y’all could get it.” And that is fine! I don’t care that there are shitty rappers that make empty, catchy pop music to shake your ass to in the clubs. Not everyone has to spit like Big Daddy Kane. So don’t be so fucking retarded people, if you like someone’s music but they aren’t gonna take down ciphers, you don’t have to pretend like they will and defend them like they’re your child. Shit, Vanilla Ice remains one of the bestselling rappers of all-time, but today’s standards that makes him one of the best emcees, cause you know, “he’s hot, he make hits” or whatever the fuck you wanna say.
A lot, or most, of the rappers that are selling records today are mediocre. Stop lowering the fucking bar by calling these dudes the fucking messiahs because they sell records and because their shit bumps in your car. And this ain’t no mainstream vs. underground battle, cause throw Eminem, Jay-Z, Nas, Andre 3000, Ludacris, Lupe, etc on a street corner against damn near any underground rapper and you’d witness a slaughter. Just start giving credit and criticism where its due, cause I ain’t gonna let my kids read one day that fucking Chingy was one of the great emcees of the 21st century.

Jun 4, 2006
The only difference between this and what i would be saying is the addition of tech into the list of emcees that would slaughter a street corner, but we know what it is.

Great post!

Jul 14, 2004
Hey mayn, good article..said what I been sayin.

dirtyjap said:
The only difference between this and what i would be saying is the addition of tech into the list of emcees that would slaughter a street corner, but we know what it is.
But what if TECH was/is that underground MC on the street corner??

HHAHA

Feb 17, 2006
niiiiice. i'm fuckin sick of people saying their fav rappers are better than tech or immortal technique or anyone else who doesn't go platinum just for the fact that tony yayo sold more albums than they did or mike jones sold more albums than they did...these rappers are fucking horrible

Nov 29, 2006
Over 85% of the rap music on MTV, MTV2 and BET is just crap...It's all the same old pop-yo colla, let your shoulder lean, laffy-taffy, Chicken Noodle soup, bling-bling, rollin on 20's garbage I really hope a few years from now the mainstream rap scene is made over with former underground leaders like Tech, E-40, Three Six Mafia and The Game leading the pack....Every other rapper now is just a rip off of Cash Money which really wasn't that good to begin with or they are some skinny little 19 year old trying to be Jay-Z.

Feb 9, 2006
the.know.how said:
niiiiice. i'm fuckin sick of people saying their fav rappers are better than tech or immortal technique or anyone else who doesn't go platinum just for the fact that tony yayo sold more albums than they did or mike jones sold more albums than they did...these rappers are fucking horrible
Immortal Technique is a really smart dude. His music bores the hell out of me though. Dude needs some better beats.

Sep 16, 2002
Phinfan15 said:
Immortal Technique is a really smart dude. His music bores the hell out of me though. Dude needs some better beats.
I agree with you about the beats! that's what sucks about most underground artists... they can't really afford great producers and/or can't find any good ones. You know who I've been bumpin' for a while now??? no, not some juggalo shit... I've been bumpin some SAIGON... check out "The Color Purple" and "Desperado"... that's some REAL talk. Not your ordinary bullshit-ass wanksta music. Jedi Mind Tricks always puts out great shit aswell... WITH DOPE BEATS too.

Jan 2, 2005
jedi mind tricks are incredible. but they also have wu-tang connections so there beats arnt as low quality as some other underground artists. Andre nickatina is another personal favorite.

May 12, 2004
Phinfan15 said:
Actually, I fuck with his beats kinda hard. Moreso on the second LP than the first. My ONLY gripe with him is that he's got no flow whatsoever.

Nov 13, 2006
I fuckin hate Jeezy, he thinks he is "real" cause he sold dope. TELLIN THE FEDS EVERY SECRET OF THE BLOCK BITCH NIKKA! I don't like game cause he be grippin everybody nutz. He gotta suck somebody dick on every beat. That shit aint gangsta. Jay Z I hate him. His lyrics all bitin up. I fuck wit Nas, Do Or DIe, Tech straight lil off the edge, and a lotta Chicago Shit. But the industry is fucked and not "hip Hop" is dead but Rap is dyin.