The "Yeah No Shit It's Cold" Mega-Thread!

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

Mac Jesus

Girls send me your nudes
May 31, 2003
http://www.timescolonist.com/techno...place+North+America+Sunday/2338422/story.html

EDMONTON — Edmonton's weather boasted two dubious distinctions Sunday: it was colder here than anywhere else in North America and it marked the coldest Dec. 13 in the city's history.

Environment Canada recorded a frigid minus 46.1 C, or minus 58.4 C with the wind chill, at the Edmonton International Airport at 5 a.m., said meteorologist Pierre Lessard.

The old record of minus 36.1 C was set last year.

"To break a temperature by 10 degrees is very exceptional," said Lessard.

The temperature record from Edmonton's city centre was also broken Sunday, said meteorologist John McIntyre.

Environment Canada recorded a temperature of minus 36.5 C downtown at 8 a.m. Sunday, beating the previous record for the day of minus 32.8 C in 1882, McIntyre said.

While Edmontonians may be wishing the weather gods would be a little less ambitious, there was at least one person in the city who could still see beyond the horrifying numbers on the thermometer.

"(Sunday) it was beautiful with the hoar frost on all the trees and the light was really misty," said Pamela Anthony, director of the Winter Light festival, a civic celebration of winter which launched last January and will run again from Jan. 6 to March 13 next year.

"It was almost cinematic. But it is hard to see if you are distracted by discomfort. The cold can be pretty intimidating. This is serious weather. You are a membrane of glass away from disaster and deep down, we all know it."

But Edmonton is a winter city, and if last's year launch was any indication, Edmontonians know how to embrace the cold and even thrive in it, she said.

"Last year's opening in January was very much like this. It was very cold. It was that it's 'too cold' cold. We were so surprised that people came out and were cold with us."

People stuck it out in Churchill Square for a long time, taking in the outdoor blessing and watching artists perform before the event finally moved inside.

"It was quite wonderful in that beautiful, odd Edmonton way," Anthony said.

The city is set to be oddly beautiful for another two days before milder temperatures are ushered in on Wednesday, according to the Environment Canada forecast.

And by Wednesday, the forecast high of -10 C might seem balmy to some.

Edmontonians are not suffering alone. A ridge of Arctic air has hit all the Prairie provinces this weekend, causing record-low temperatures in many parts of northern Alberta, Lessard said.

"Temperatures are very cold over Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba. There are some places more windy than the others, especially northern Saskatchewan and the north half of Manitoba are very cold," he said.

But Arctic winds are normal in the winter and should pass through by the middle of this week, Lessard said.

The city's longest cold snap was in 1969 when the temperature never got warmer than -20 C for 26 consecutive days. The Journal handed out certificates to survivors.

Some flights scheduled to land at the Edmonton International Airport late Saturday night and early Sunday morning were diverted to Calgary because of the severe temperatures, said Edmonton International Airport spokeswoman Traci Bednard.

There were some delays and a couple of cancellations for flights departing Edmonton as well on Sunday morning because of the cold, she said.

"Different airlines and aircraft have different operating limits," Bednard said.

The wait time for a tow truck in Edmonton on Sunday was 24 hours and eight hours for a light service call, said Alberta Motor Association spokesman Kent Dixon.

The majority of light service calls have been for boosts, Dixon said.

"Below -15 is when you should be plugging (your car) in. It's absolutely necessary, it's not a question," he said.

Even if people don't plan on going outside in between parking cars in two heated garages, people should always dress for outside conditions, Dixon said.

"It's really severely cold out right now, and if, for whatever reason, you get stuck or have to wait in a vehicle or get out, you're going to be thankful pretty quickly that you were dressed appropriately for outside temperatures," Dixon said.

He recommends keeping a blanket and an emergency kit in all vehicles.

"Act accordingly, be prepared and don't put your safety at risk," he said.

[email protected]
And since you're all working with Fahrenheit -58.4C = -73.12

So fuck you guys who think it's cold when it's 30-40 some degrees.

Jul 4, 2009
I remember when my girl asked me that lol and it ended up happening anyway

its going to be warm I heard on Thursday theyre saying 42
but fuck right now its -4 with the wind chill and im so fucking glad I have a home n heat right now. Id really really hate to be homeless during this time of year.

Mar 24, 2006
I gotta bring this thread back.

Its fuckin' 2 degrees outside now and thats not even including the wind chill either. With wind chill.............

No shit its cold!

Mar 16, 2005
was -15 with no windchill yesterday morning, -5 with no windchill this morning, this mornings wind chill was -25, THATS fucking cold. we didnt get nearly the snow that was forcasted though, they said 3 inches it was hardly a dusting. supposed to be a good few days starting tomorrow though 45+ woooooooo