The Recommend A Foreign Movie Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Nov 17, 2002
www.facebook.com
not familiar with his work, what are his best movies?
"Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter and Spring" and "3-Iron" are his most mainstream movies. I own both on DVD. They are both pretty good. "3-Iron" is probably a good one to see with your girl.

Other than those two there's:

"Bad Guy" - Woman publicly humiliates pimp, who has a crush on her; pimp gets revenge by manipulating her into a life of prostitution all the while watching her behind a two-way mirror.

"The Isle" - I haven't seen this one since the first time I watched it many years ago. I forgot what exactly it is about. There's a fisherman and a woman, and I remember the last scene in the movie is unusual but interesting. I definitely need to re-visit this one, as many people I've talked to consider this one to be his best (probably mostly arthouse movie fans.)

"Samaritan Girl" - Two girls are best friends. One is a prostitute. The other later decides to become a prostitute in order to try and understand her friend.

"The Bow" - Old man who lives on a fishing boat takes care of little girl he finds lost; plans to marry her when she turns 17; story begins when she is approaching her 17th birthday. In the meantime, she becomes interested in a young guy who sometimes fishes off the boat.

"Address Unknown" - I still need to watch this one. I've been putting it off for years. I've heard others say that this one is his best.

"Time" - Man and woman in relationship; she has low self-esteem; leaves him to change her face. He searches for her. Stuff happens. This one has an interesting ending.

These are the only ones I remember off the top of my head. He has a few others. As an introduction to Kim Ki-Duk, I'd say watch one of the first two I mentioned. They are probably a little more palatable in getting to know this director's style.

0R0

Girbaud Shuttle Jeans
Dec 10, 2006
BasedWorld
not familiar with his work, what are his best movies?
"Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter and Spring" and "3-Iron" are his most mainstream movies. I own both on DVD. They are both pretty good. "3-Iron" is probably a good one to see with your girl.

Other than those two there's:

"Bad Guy" - Woman publicly humiliates pimp, who has a crush on her; pimp gets revenge by manipulating her into a life of prostitution all the while watching her behind a two-way mirror.

"The Isle" - I haven't seen this one since the first time I watched it many years ago. I forgot what exactly it is about. There's a fisherman and a woman, and I remember the last scene in the movie is unusual but interesting. I definitely need to re-visit this one, as many people I've talked to consider this one to be his best (probably mostly arthouse movie fans.)

"Samaritan Girl" - Two girls are best friends. One is a prostitute. The other later decides to become a prostitute in order to try and understand her friend.

"The Bow" - Old man who lives on a fishing boat takes care of little girl he finds lost; plans to marry her when she turns 17; story begins when she is approaching her 17th birthday. In the meantime, she becomes interested in a young guy who sometimes fishes off the boat.

"Address Unknown" - I still need to watch this one. I've been putting it off for years. I've heard others say that this one is his best.

"Time" - Man and woman in relationship; she has low self-esteem; leaves him to change her face. He searches for her. Stuff happens. This one has an interesting ending.

These are the only ones I remember off the top of my head. He has a few others. As an introduction to Kim Ki-Duk, I'd say watch one of the first two I mentioned. They are probably a little more palatable in getting to know this director's style.
The ones I highlighted are 3 of my favorites. After that I would say Address Unknown, although I have heard people say they find it too depressing, I love shit like that tho. Also 3-Iron has some great cinematography even tho it is one of his more chick flick type of movies. His 2 most used themes are romance and prostitutes lol.

Kinda sound like chick flicks, but I'll give it a try...
The 3 films that are most like chick flicks would be 3-Iron, Dream and Breath. So start with something like Bad Guy or Address Unknown, those are some of his grittier films.

0R0

Girbaud Shuttle Jeans
Dec 10, 2006
BasedWorld
Did you ever check them out 2-0-sixx? I recently bought The Bow from Amoeba, first time I have been able to find a physical copy.

0R0

Girbaud Shuttle Jeans
Dec 10, 2006
BasedWorld
Memories of Murder

I've been putting off watching this for years but finally did and it was great. Definitely recommend checking it out.Well directed, well acted, nice pacing, tied in a few themes throughout. A few bits were predictable but didn't affect it too much.

0R0

Girbaud Shuttle Jeans
Dec 10, 2006
BasedWorld
Joint Security Area

Another film I've put off for a long time. Chan Wook Park's(OldBoy) first big film. Set directly on the border of North/South Korea one of the over arching themes is "close conflict". A lot of tight shots and scenes, most of the action and key events happen in small areas. My first impression of the movie was that it would be a boring political piece with emphasis on dialogue, only the latter proved to be true. It was a lot different than I expected from the flashback sequence onward. It turned out to be pretty entertaining.

Props: Count_Slapula
Oct 27, 2008
rambo187 @rambo187 how was A Bittersweet Life? i stumbled across the trailer last night & it looks good.

just ordered a copy of Nameless Gangster (w/ choi min-sik) & thinking of also picking up this movie & Memories of Murder.

Jan 25, 2009
rambo187 @rambo187 how was A Bittersweet Life? i stumbled across the trailer last night & it looks good.

just ordered a copy of Nameless Gangster (w/ choi min-sik) & thinking of also picking up this movie & Memories of Murder.
A Bittersweet Life - i love that movie is one of my Favorites from Korea and made me to keep on eye whats going there with their cinema

Nameless G is good too

0R0

Girbaud Shuttle Jeans
Dec 10, 2006
BasedWorld
Mother

The latest film from Bong Joon-Ho(Memories of Murder, The Host). The cinematography was really on point in this, great camera work and wide shots. I felt like the plot & setting was unique and maybe unconventional take on the anti-Psycho. The son is kind of an annoying little bitch but is supposed to be, the mother was pretty good in it. Another good Korean thriller. I've really started to like the directors endings, he knows how to finish strong imo.

I always have trouble writing these because I try not to include any plot points, I think films are much more enjoyable that way. Definitely check this out.

Jun 27, 2003
Y'all should check out 아저씨. I think it was called The Man From Nowhere overseas, has Won Bin as main character. The guy from Taegukki and Mother.

May 9, 2002
Memories of Murder

I've been putting off watching this for years but finally did and it was great. Definitely recommend checking it out.Well directed, well acted, nice pacing, tied in a few themes throughout. A few bits were predictable but didn't affect it too much.
Joint Security Area

Another film I've put off for a long time. Chan Wook Park's(OldBoy) first big film. Set directly on the border of North/South Korea one of the over arching themes is "close conflict". A lot of tight shots and scenes, most of the action and key events happen in small areas. My first impression of the movie was that it would be a boring political piece with emphasis on dialogue, only the latter proved to be true. It was a lot different than I expected from the flashback sequence onward. It turned out to be pretty entertaining.
i think i recommended these on like page 1 man lol

Last edited: