The Recommend A Foreign Movie Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

0R0

Girbaud Shuttle Jeans
Dec 10, 2006
BasedWorld

Well I've been a big Ki-Duk Kim fan for a couple of years now and finally saw his 2nd film "Wild Animals". It's kind of a jarring experience after seeing all his later films, it reminds me of his film Real Fiction and French cinema. The latter is a given as it's set in France. There are about 4 main storylines following Korean characters living in Paris, the 2 main males have a strange dependence/friendship going on that drives the central story forward. the film's themes center around money, greed, lust/love and betrayal which has become standard somewhat for drama's but I feel it handled the concepts well.

I can't talk about this movie without mentioning the few cheesy/lame moments in it. The writing itself is pretty good but there are a handful of times when either the acting or execution of a scene felt horribly cheesy and it takes you out of the immersion the rest of the film captured. I personally could live with those moments but I gotta acknowledge they exist. Overall, while the film doesn't have the style/flair of Ki-Duk's later work, it is undoubtedly one of his films. It was pretty cool seeing how he's grown as a director from this.

I think an 8.5/10 is a fair rating, although I can't help but think better execution could have made this one of his best I will still recommend it. I hope you find better subs than I had tho, whoever subbed that failed miserably in a few scenes on the translation. I won't hold it against the film itself tho.