The Official Seattle Mariners Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 9, 2002
More of a Mariners fan then this Washington resident. #Believe that.
I dont believe it, but OK. Just becuase we have opposing views on the organization doesnt mean you are a "better" fan.

#Huskies aint shit
Were going there? Ducks may have 10 in a row, but youre still 13 games out from TYING the all time record. Stay in your place.

I'm more of Mariners fan than you will ever be.
Good for you for thinking that.

Your Mariners card has been revoked.
No, it hasnt.

Damn, sensitive arent we?

I puko I'd right. Mariners ain't Shit lol.Jackson is average and denorfia is below average. I can't see them competing with the a's, tigers or orioles
Jackson is above average-good. In fact, he is considered to be one of the best CF's in the game. He has gap power, and his career WAR is over 4. He got moved back to the leadoff spot and has been hitting .300 ever since (June). He is hitting .349 in July. He has 25 2B's on the season. Denorfia is average, but is having his worst year stat wise. But he is a career .277 hitter. His home AGV this year is .209, but .271 on the road. Petco park sucks for hitter, even worse than Safeco...and its actually a proven fact.

Jackson was a very good move, in that he is 27 (in his prime), and we gave up next to nothing for him (that we know of). We also have the option for next year. Saunders will be back this weekend, and that will help. Hart is awful and is a 6 mil balck hole at this point, but he could be DFA'd this weekend. Lomo is terrible too.

Last edited:

Chree

Medicated
Dec 7, 2005
I dont believe it, but OK. Just becuase we have opposing views on the organization doesnt mean you are a "better" fan.

Were going there? Ducks may have 10 in a row, but youre still 13 games out from TYING the all time record. Stay in your place.

Good for you for thinking that.

No, it hasnt.

Damn, sensitive arent we?

Jackson is above average-good. In fact, he is considered to be one of the best CF's in the game. He has gap power, and his career WAR is over 4. He got moved back to the leadoff spot and has been hitting .300 ever since (June). He is hitting .349 in July. He has 25 2B's on the season. Denorfia is average, but is having his worst year stat wise. But he is a career .277 hitter. His home AGV this year is .209, but .271 on the road. Petco park sucks for hitter, even worse than Safeco...and its actually a proven fact.

Jackson was a very good move, in that he is 27 (in his prime), and we gave up next to nothing for him (that we know of). We also have the option for next year. Saunders will be back this weekend, and that will help. Hart is awful and is a 6 mil balck hole at this point, but he could be DFA'd this weekend. Lomo is terrible too.
Realistically, jackson is below average. I could name 15 other center fielders who are better than him, hes batting 273 with 33 rbi 52 run and 4 homers, pretty poor numbers for batting in that loaded tigers lineup. he strikes out alot too. i mean yeah if hes an upgrade cool, but realistically, i cannot see the Mariners competing with these other loaded teams, just like i cant see my Giants doing the same in the NL

May 9, 2002
Realistically, jackson is below average. I could name 15 other center fielders who are better than him, hes batting 273 with 33 rbi 52 run and 4 homers, pretty poor numbers for batting in that loaded tigers lineup. he strikes out alot too. i mean yeah if hes an upgrade cool, but realistically, i cannot see the Mariners competing with these other loaded teams, just like i cant see my Giants doing the same in the NL
You need to understand context here. They had Jackson batting everywhere BUT the leadoff spot, where he belongs. Once he moved there, he started to bat well again (over .300 since the move). Coincidence? I think not.

Also, you are only valuing his bat. Defensively, he is very good. Great range and good arm. Can make the tough catch. His career OPS is over .750, and averages 35 2B's/3B's a year. His stolen bases has dropped through his career, and i am not sure why...but he has the speed. Does he K alot? Sure, but his OBP is near .350 for his career, meaning he gets on base.

Again, his defense. Thats what makes his value high. His career WAR is over 4. Thats one of the highest for CF's. And we gave up a struggling AAAA player who is blocked by Cano. That return on investment is HIGH.

BUTCHER 206

FREE BUTCHER206
Aug 22, 2003
Seattle, WA
What an amazing game. This is the mariners on full display with everything clicking. Near sell out crowd, the team was feeding off the energy. 6-1 on this homestand. So sick of all these years of doom and gloom, with support look what's happening. This is so rewarding for everyone that's stuck with it. Time to stay consistent no more skids!

BUTCHER 206

FREE BUTCHER206
Aug 22, 2003
Seattle, WA
Larry Stone

Seattle Times columnist

Tuesday

Toronto @ Mariners, 7:10 p.m.,

ROOT Sports
Reader Comments
Read all 1 comments
Post a comment

advertising

It was an electric Felix night, the kind for which he was born to be on the mound. The kind all too infrequent as the Mariners have plodded through his reign with too many wasted seasons.

But this Mariners season is crackling with energy just when the long baseball season gets good. And it’s been a long time since there’s been a better Safeco night than Monday. Or at least, a more meaningful one.

The atmosphere was kinetic, and a little bizarre (in a good way). Kyle Seager had made sure to warn his newer teammates to be prepared for the inevitable Canadian invasion.

“I was trying to tell some of the guys: ‘Don’t necessarily be alarmed,’ ” Seager said with a laugh.

Sure enough, the nearly sold out crowd (41,168) turned the game into a good-natured Battle of the Bands, as the huge contingent of Blue Jays fans dueled with the Mariners faithful for vocal supremacy. Much like the game itself, it was close early, until it wasn’t.

By the time the Mariners had exploded with a barrage of extra-base hits in the sixth — lightning with the bat that was punctuated by a vivid flash of real lightning and booming thunder clap — the Seattle-centric portion of the crowd was high-fiving, chanting “USA! USA!” and partying like it was 2001.

Meanwhile, the sea of Blue Jay blue, a roiling mass of Northern pride early, turned quiet as the game got away from Toronto. Seven runs in the sixth inning meant that Felix Hernandez could coast to his 16th straight game of at least seven innings with two or fewer runs, blissfully free of the usual tension.

Manager Lloyd McClendon had been asked before the game if he expected Felix to rise to the moment in a game rippling with playoff implications. He chuckled and responded, “Above what he’s been doing already? I don’t know if he can get any better, my God.”

And after the Mariners’ 11-1 victory: “He was great. I’m running out of words for Felix.”

Hernandez deserves the stage the Mariners are finally providing him. In past years, he’s had to manufacture his own gravitas, reveling in the large crowds and media attention that greeted him in places like New York (where they’ve been trying to bait him for years into saying he wants to pitch for the Yankees) and Boston. He was, in essence, stealing a sip of their playoff juice

But this was a crowd (half of it, at least) there to see the Mariners make their own playoff run, with Felix at the epicenter.

“It was awesome,’’ Hernandez said. “That was unreal. The crowd was unbelievable.”

There should be more like it. Five teams, at least, are in the race for the second wild-card, and the Mariners follow this series with three at Detroit, which fell into second place behind Kansas City on Monday. Suddenly, that series looms large, as do, potentially, many more on the schedule.

I say, “potentially,’’ because the last time the Mariners were in this situation, in 2007, a stretch-drive that seemed filled with the same exciting possibilities disintegrated into 15 losses in 17 games, beginning on Aug. 25. It can happen — but it’s hard to imagine it happening to a team with Hernandez in full Cy Young mode.

“I think people are excited about what’s happening,’’ McClendon said before the game. “The one thing I caution — I don’t know what’s going to happen. I’m going to enjoy the journey. I told our players to enjoy the journey. We’re in it. It’s an exciting time. I like our chances. I like my team. Let’s see what happens. Should be fun.”

It was certainly fun on Monday as the Blue Jays came to town weary from Sunday’s 19-inning marathon in Toronto, followed by a cross-country flight. Hernandez is the last guy you would want to face in that situation, but it was fitting that he took the mound for the symbolic kickoff of the Mariners’ stretch drive.

“He’s the right guy for any situation,’’ Seager said. “To get this one started he is absolutely the right guy.”

Hernandez has earned the right to soak in the adrenaline, to feel the buzz from the inside. He was brilliant as ever, limiting the Jays to just three hits and one run, gaining command as the game progressed. And his teammates made sure it wasn’t another agonizing night of non-support by turning a narrow 2-1 lead into 9-1 with that seven-run outburst in the sixth.

Robinson Cano homered to start the rally, and nearly homered again after the Mariners had batted around. He knows all about these fraught games, having experienced them on a yearly basis in New York. For most of these Mariners, however, it’s all a revelation. They’re finding out, finally, how the other half lives.

“I was talking to Endy (Chavez) before the game – when you play in New York, every day is like this,’’ Cano said. “Especially when you play against New York or Boston. That’s how it felt tonight.”

Mariners fans long have wanted desperately for Hernandez to get these chances in the spotlight, to no longer have his brilliance squandered in late-season games of obscurity and insignificance.

And now that time is here.

Larry Stone: 206-464-3146 or [email protected]. On Twitter S @STONE Larry