The Official Seattle Mariners Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 9, 2002
As much as Bradely is a head case, Silva was a fat piece of shit that has NO piching skills...and was costing us a FORTUNE for what he WASN'T doing.

Jack Z coninutes to show that he is the RIGHT man for this orgainzation. He has been tremendous this off-season so far, undoing A LOT of Bavasi damage already.

Aug 24, 2003
Felix Hernandez, Mariners complete US$78 million, five-year contract
By Gregg Bell (CP) – 9 hours ago
SEATTLE — Felix Hernandez and the Seattle Mariners have completed a US$78 million, five-year deal that averts an arbitration hearing and keeps the young ace under contract through 2014.
General manager Jack Zduriencik called Thursday a great day for Seattle and for the pitcher, his wife and their two young children.
"This one was immense," Zduriencik said, seated next to a constantly grinning Hernandez. "It's rare when you can secure a guy like this. And it's rare to have a guy with this kind of ability.
"There's no better move than to secure a Felix Hernandez."
Hernandez, who could have become a free agent after the 2011 season, finalized his first big contract after taking a physical that was required to finish the deal.
"I just wanted to be here. I didn't care about free agency," Hernandez said, looking sharp in a black, three-piece suit, silver tie and diamonds in each earlobe.
"I'm here for five more years. I hope we make the playoffs (where Seattle hasn't been since 2001) and the World Series for the fans. They need it. We got this out of the way, now my mind is ready to play baseball."
The Mariners and Hernandez's agents opened talks soon after he finished second in voting for last year's AL Cy Young Award.
The 23-year-old righty was 19-5 last season, tied for the most wins in the majors, and made his first all-star team. He had a career-high 217 strikeouts with a career-low 2.49 earned-run average.
Seattle and Hernandez's agents exchanged proposed arbitration figures Tuesday, with Hernandez asking for $11.5 million and the Mariners offering $7.2 million.
Surging Seattle has made several major moves in an effort to return to the post-season for the first time since 2001: acquiring former Cy Young winner Cliff Lee from Philadelphia, signing all-star third baseman Chone Figgins, trading for outfielder and designated hitter Milton Bradley and re-signing Ken Griffey Jr.
"We're really close right now," Hernandez said. "I think we're going to make the playoffs this year."
A long-term agreement with Hernandez was the Mariners' top priority. Hernandez and Lee, signed through 2010, give Seattle one of baseball's best pairs atop a rotation.
The new deal means Hernandez will be just 28 when he can become eligible for free agency.
The native of Valencia, Venezuela, dubbed "King Felix" soon after he arrived in the major leagues, is 58-41 in 4 1/2 seasons. He has averaged 14 wins and 183 strikeouts in his four full seasons in the big leagues, but his career was longer on potential than consistency until 2009.
Hernandez is Seattle's fourth arbitration-eligible pitcher to sign a contract this week, after one-year deals for relievers Mark Lowe ($1.15 million), Brandon League ($1,087,500) and closer David Aardsma ($2.75).
Recently acquired first baseman Casey Kotchman is the Mariners' lone remaining player in arbitration.
Copyright © 2010 The Canadian Press. All rights reserved.

Aug 24, 2003
:cool: :cool: Felix, Mariners make long-team deal official :cheeky: :cheeky:

Seattle secures young right-hander with five-year extension

http://seattle.mariners.mlb.com/media/video.jsp?content_id=7149907

King Felix on his new deal
By Doug Miller / MLB.com
01/21/10 10:08 PM EST

SEATTLE -- The Mariners have had one of the busiest, most productive and promising winters in baseball, but the future of the franchise still had one large uncertainty attached to it.

On Thursday, to the delight of Seattle's fans and front office, the question mark known as Felix Hernandez's contract situation officially became a resounding exclamation point.
In a late-afternoon press conference at Safeco Field, the club announced the signing of the 23-year-old staff ace and 2009 American League Cy Young Award runner-up to a five-year extension that The Associated Press reported is worth $78 million.
"We realize that at least for the next five years, we'll have Felix Hernandez in a Seattle Mariner uniform," general manager Jack Zduriencik said.
"And that says something about his commitment ... to this organization. It says something about his desire and his understanding of this game, but it also says something about what he sees happening here in this organization, and that's a positive."
It was all positives for Hernandez on Thursday.
The pitcher, in town from his native Venezuela, beamed on a podium in the interview room, looking every part the top-dollar ace with a crisp suit and tie and a grin from ear to dazzling-diamond-studded ear.
"Seattle is the first team to give me the opportunity to become a professional baseball player, and I'm here five more years and I hope we make the playoffs and win the World Series for the fans," Hernandez said. "I know they need it." :knockout:
Hernandez's emerging dominance already played a huge role in Seattle's startling turnaround from a 101-loss season in 2008 to an 85-77 record last year, the first campaign with Zduriencik and manager Don Wakamatsu at the helm.
Hernandez, who made his big league debut in 2005 at the age of 18, came of age in 2009 with a career year, going 19-5 with a 2.49 ERA, pitching a career-high 238 2/3 innings, striking out 217 batters and being selected for his first All-Star Game. He led the AL in winning percentage (.792), tied for the lead in wins, ranked second in ERA, third in innings pitched and fourth in strikeouts. He finished second to Kansas City's Zack Greinke in the AL Cy voting.
By getting this crucial deal done now, the Mariners have seemingly set themselves up for continued improvement at a reasonable cost.
They avoided arbitration for two years, bought out the first three years of Hernandez's free agency, kept the cornerstone of a team on the rise comfortably in place and served notice that they have the financial flexibility to continue to reshape their roster for 2010 and beyond.
According to reports, Hernandez will receive a $3.5 million signing bonus and a $6.5 million salary this season. Since his back-loaded, limited no-trade clause contract has him set to earn $10 million in 2011, $18.5 million in '12, $19.5 million in '13 and $20 million in '14, the Mariners have a bit of wiggle room -- reports have it at anywhere from $7-10 million left -- to pursue talent now while maintaining the club's payroll at the $98 million mark, where it roughly was in 2009.
Zduriencik said club president Chuck Armstrong and CEO Howard Lincoln considered the Hernandez deal as much of a no-brainer as he did.
"As we sat and talked about it, they were on board," Zduriencik said. "It was not a difficult sell. I didn't have to sit there and twist anybody's arm. I didn't have to convince anybody. ... At the end of the day, it was really simple. Let's get it done.
"In this particular case, he's 23 years of age, he's athletic as can be, he's going to get bigger and stronger, and I think that ... when you can do [these deals], when you have the opportunity to secure a guy like this, you do it."
The next pitching project the team would likely want to pursue is convincing Cliff Lee to stay. The former Cy Young-winning lefty, who came over from Philadelphia for prospects in a three-team trade in December, is eligible to become a free agent after the 2010 season.
Zduriencik wouldn't comment on the team's payroll situation in detail per club policy, but he said he's still looking for pieces.
"We're always going to stay active," said Zduriencik, who already this winter has brought back Ken Griffey Jr. and shortstop Jack Wilson, signed third baseman Chone Figgins, and traded for Lee, outfielder/designated hitter Milton Bradley, reliever Brandon League and Casey Kotchman.
"I've gotten phone calls in the last few days about discussions and possibilities and where we can go. We're keeping our ears open and we're certainly trying to continue to improve this club."
Among the needs the Mariners still could fill: signing or trading for another starting pitcher, acquiring a right-handed impact hitter who can play some left field and getting a second baseman if the club decides to trade incumbent Jose Lopez to fill one of the other areas of need.
Meanwhile, the big horse at the top of the rotation is set for another half-decade, which made everyone associated with the Mariners -- particularly Hernandez -- smile.
"It was not a tough decision," Hernandez said. "It was easy. The team that Jack's building right now, I think we're going to be better. I'm excited. ... I was talking with my wife and she said she wanted to stay in Seattle. She didn't want to move anyplace. She'd like to stay here a long time, and everybody's happy.
"We got this out of the way, so my mind is ready to play baseball now."
Doug Miller is a national writer for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

Feb 14, 2004
Gutierrez’s deal with Seattle worth $20.25M

SEATTLE (AP)—Center fielder Franklin Gutierrez’s(notes) new four-year contract with the Seattle Mariners is worth $20.25 million, according to contract figures obtained by The Associated Press.

Gutierrez’s agent, Wil Polidor, confirmed Thursday that his client can earn another $250,000 in a performance bonus built into the final year of the deal in 2013.

The 26-year-old Gutierrez received a $1.25 million signing bonus in a deal the team announced on Jan. 8.

His base salary this year is $2 million. It jumps to $4 million in 2011, $5.5 million in 2012 and $7 million in 2013. His salary that year increases to $7.25 million if he reaches 600 plate appearances in 2012.

The Mariners have an option for 2014 at $7.5 million, with a $500,000 buyout.

Gutierrez had a career year offensively in 2009 while providing Gold Glove-caliber defense during his debut season with Seattle.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-mariners-gutierrez&prov=ap&type=lgns

Feb 14, 2004
Laughs as Mariners unveil ace Cliff Lee

SEATTLE (AP)—Cliff Lee(notes) was in Seattle for a couple hours Friday before he had to field questions about his plans. Months away from his first pitch for the Mariners, everyone wanted to know what the ace left-hander would do when his contract ends this fall.

The 2008 AL Cy Young Award winner was ready.

“I want a 10-year deal for about 200 billion dollars,” the 31-year-old Lee cracked with a straight face.

Talk about a memorable first impression.

Seattle introduced the centerpiece of its offseason overhaul a month after it acquired him from Philadelphia as part of a complicated, four-team deal. The Phillies traded for Lee last season and he helped them reach the World Series.

The Mariners are hoping for their own deep postseason run with Lee and fellow ace Felix Hernandez(notes) anchoring their rotation.

“I don’t think there’s any question that with Cliff and Felix at the top of our rotation, it’s something that a lot of people have to take notice to,” general manager Jack Zduriencik said. “To acquire someone (of) this magnitude and match him up with Felix Hernandez … it’s very special.”

Lee has one year and $9 million remaining on his contract. He was introduced one day after Seattle signed Hernandez to a five-year contract worth $78 million.

Lee said he would rather not negotiate an extension during the season because of the distraction. And Zduriencik said Seattle hasn’t broached the subject with Lee’s representatives.

The Mariners want Lee to get to know his teammates for now, inside what the GM thinks is a “special” clubhouse situation. Ken Griffey Jr.(notes) helped brighten the atmosphere around the team last year, a factor in the club’s turnaround from 101 losses to an 85-77 record in 2009.

“There’s a balance here,” Zduriencik said. “What we’re hoping is he rolls in here and falls in love.”

The vibes surrounding Lee weren’t so mushy when Philadelphia traded him last month. Even Zduriencik said he was “very surprised” to see how excited Lee and his wife Kristen were to be in Seattle when they spoke in the GM’s office Friday, given Zduriencik noticed Lee had said on a conference call 24 hours after the Phillies dealt him that he was in “disbelief and shock.”

Lee went 7-4 with a 3.39 ERA for Philadelphia after he was acquired from Cleveland on July 29. He was even better in the playoffs, going 4-0 with a 1.56 ERA in five starts.

Lee, who earned both of the Phillies’ wins in the World Series against the Yankees, had been excited to rejoin Philadelphia. Then, on the same day he made a counterproposal to the Phillies in negotiations on a multiyear contract, Philadelphia opted to trade him to help clear the way for a deal for fellow AL Cy Young Award winner Roy Halladay(notes).

Suddenly, the father of an 8-year-old son (Jaxon) and 6-year-old daughter (Maci) was headed far away from their home in Arkansas, to his third team in five months.

“I thought I’d be spending the rest of my career there,” Lee said in December. “I was under the impression they wanted to keep me there for a long time.”

Friday, he emphasized his disappointment wasn’t in going to Seattle. It was in leaving Philadelphia.

“It took me a few days (to get over it),” he said. “It was just shock.

“I’m going to make the best of it. I think it’s going to be a good thing for me and my career. I think it’s going to work out for the better.”

He said Seattle has been one of his favorite road cities since his first full season in the majors with the Indians in 2004. And before Lee was introduced, Mariners executives showed him around Safeco Field.

Seattle’s big ballpark combined with sterling defensive outfielders Ichiro Suzuki(notes) and Franklin Gutierrez(notes) could make Lee even tougher at home.

“I’m excited to be here. I’m back in the American League, with one of the best defenses in the American League,” Lee said, also mentioning Mariners infielders Jack Wilson(notes), Chone Figgins(notes) and Casey Kotchman(notes). “To be a starting pitcher, you’ve got to like that.”

He said he hopes to have the same positive, World Series experience in Seattle that he had in a few months with the Phillies.

“My mindset last year was, play my contract out and enter free agency,” he said. “Going to Philadelphia changed that. I wanted to stay there.

“I’m hoping I get here and a similar thing happens.”

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-mariners-lee&prov=ap&type=lgns

Feb 14, 2004
Bradley: Blame Chicago for struggles, not me

Mariners outfielder/designated hitter Milton Bradley is playing for his eighth team in 11 seasons. But don't blame it all on him, he told New York Times baseball writer Tyler Kepner.

"Two years ago, I played, and I was good," Bradley told Kepner on Wednesday. "I go to Chicago, not good. I've been good my whole career. So, obviously, it was something with Chicago, not me."

It's that outlook that sounded warning bells among Mariners fans when the team acquired Bradley from the Cubs for pitcher Carlos Silva. Silva was dead weight in the Mariners organization, so there wasn't a loud outcry about the addition of Bradley. But there is concern nonetheless.

Say what you will about clubhouse chemistry – it's meaningless, it's crucial or it falls somewhere in between. The biggest concern about Bradley has been that he will disrupt that delicate chemistry that was so strong, according to players, in 2009, after being nonexistent in 2008.

Mariners general manager Jack Zduriencik isn't worried about the intangibles. He brought Bradley to Seattle to fill a role and he expects Bradley to deliver.

"We made the deal because we were looking for someone to hit in the middle of our lineup," Zduriencik told Kepner. "Milton fit that spot. We like what goes on here. We have a lot of faith and trust in (manager) Don (Wakamatsu). He allows players to be who they are, and that's all we want Milton to do: come here and be a productive player for us, and have fun. That's the environment we want to create."

Still, Bradley has a long history of flying off the handle. The Mariners would do well to create a welcoming environment in the clubhouse for Bradley if they want to avoid another blowup.

"Any time I've had a problem anywhere, it's because I've been disrespected," Bradley told Kepner. "And I will not be disrespected by anyone."

Check out Kepner's full piece here, including comments from Chone Figgins about what he expects from Bradley this season and Erik Bedard on his shoulder rehabilitation.

http://blog.seattlepi.com/baseball/archives/196576.asp?source=rss

http://bats.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/...ilton-bradley/?scp=1&sq=milton bradley&st=cse

Feb 14, 2004
Lee suspended for first five games of season

Major League Baseball has suspended Mariners pitcher Cliff Lee for the first five games of the regular season for throwing over the head of the Diamondbacks' Chris Snyder in a spring training game Monday. Lee was also fined an undisclosed amount.

Manager Don Wakamatsu said the decision would be appealed, which would delay the suspension until after a hearing is held and could result in it being shortened.

In the third inning of a 13-5 loss to the Diamondbacks, Lee threw a high, tight fastball at Snyder. Snyder started to approach the mound and the benches emptied, but no punches were thrown.

Lee was ejected from the game.

Lee, the Mariners No. 2 starter behind Felix Hernandez, will miss his first start of the season if the suspension stands.

http://blog.seattlepi.com/baseball/archives/198498.asp

Dec 3, 2005
Got my tickets to opening day via FedEx today! Field Level, 20 rows up at the end of the first base line, one week away. unfortunately Rowland Smith is the starter for the home opener i think

Dec 3, 2005
How did Felix do? I didn't get to watch the game.
he did okay. didnt get the decision cuz sean white came in and fucked things up. he was pitching a shutout when he was taken out, think there were runners on first and second. felix walked too many people for everyones liking but the umps were totally fucked yesterday. they called ichiro out trying to steal 3rd when he looked to be safe. they called a ball that obviously hit the ground and out on us instead of a hit. they were calling strikes against us that were way off the plate, then coming back and not giving felix shit when it was obviously in the strike zone. luckily they held on and got the W. what impressed me the most was how Felix kept his cool despite getting squeezed by the umps and not being at his best. that and how big of an impact chone figgins had (without getting a single hit!). he was down 0-2 in his first at bat, ended up manufacturing a walk. got on again, had a few steals, just really helped keep the pressure on the opposing teams defense. i think the A's catcher suzuki had two or three errors, the A's had 4 errors total I believe