The Official Religion Proof/Denial Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Mar 9, 2005
HERESY said:
There are two parts of this that I do not accept. The first part is the opening statement. Just a few weeks ago you were FAR removed from reading the bible from front to back, now you claim to have already finished. I am not saying it can't be done, but coming from you I don't believe it.

The second thing is your statement highlighted in bold (emphasis mine.) For one, some societies (especially those in the mid-east) are religious based and their form of government is different from america. It is foolish to spread imperialism (under the veil of democracy and peace) when it is their CULTURE to be religious based. Are you a citizen of the united states?
It's true Heresy, I have read the bible from front to back. I am an avid reader, it is my favorite hobby - I even read half of David Suzuki's 'Good News for a Change' whilst I was reading the bible (hence my posts on renewable energy and the environment of late). I was not against the concept of reading the bible - believing in God is not a requirement for reading the bible. I actually found most of it quite interesting! Again though, the majority of what is written is, IMO, simply a story which, even if it once had any basis in reality, no longer constitutes anything real.

You are well aware that I am not a citizen of the United States. There are a lot of grey areas when it comes to religion and governance, and it is a fact that religion not only strongly influences many government decisions but also the medias portrayal of science, such as when the US government and associated press published articles suggesting that young girls having abortions increase the risk of getting breast cancer (which is a load of bullshit - it's their way of trying to influence peoples decision not to have an abortion based on their religious 'moral' standpoints).

Even if specific middle-east countries are religious based, that's still not an excuse to force it upon anyone. What if a society was so religious that they passed a law which stated that 'everyone must pray for 1 hour per day starting at 9am'. If I refused to pray because I didn't believe in the supposed God to which I was praying, do I deserve to go to jail or be fined because of it? Hell no.

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
It's true Heresy, I have read the bible from front to back. I am an avid reader, it is my favorite hobby - I even read half of David Suzuki's 'Good News for a Change' whilst I was reading the bible (hence my posts on renewable energy and the environment of late).
Hutch, I have several hobbies. One of my hobbies include raising and breeding teh creature found in my sig. If I found it boring would I do it as a hobby? No. The problem is less than a month ago you were saying you had not read the bible to completion and that it was boring. NOW you are claiming to have read the bible and some other book at the same time. I'm not saying it can't be done, but come from you it doesn't sound legit.

http://siccness.net/vb/showthread.php?t=201729&page=2

I was not against the concept of reading the bible - believing in God is not a requirement for reading the bible.
No one ever said it was nor was this implied.

I actually found most of it quite interesting! Again though, the majority of what is written is, IMO, simply a story which, even if it once had any basis in reality, no longer constitutes anything real.
Less than a month ago you said the following:

some of it is interesting but for the most part it's boring as hell
Of course I find it boring
Hutch, do you still wonder why I don't consider you a stand up type of guy?

You are well aware that I am not a citizen of the United States. There are a lot of grey areas when it comes to religion and governance, and it is a fact that religion not only strongly influences many government decisions but also the medias portrayal of science, such as when the US government and associated press published articles suggesting that young girls having abortions increase the risk of getting breast cancer (which is a load of bullshit - it's their way of trying to influence peoples decision not to have an abortion based on their religious 'moral' standpoints).
No.

Even if specific middle-east countries are religious based, that's still not an excuse to force it upon anyone. What if a society was so religious that they passed a law which stated that 'everyone must pray for 1 hour per day starting at 9am'. If I refused to pray because I didn't believe in the supposed God to which I was praying, do I deserve to go to jail or be fined because of it? Hell no.
Get your ass out of the country or follow the laws of the land. It is that simple. If your country is based on religion and religion is a part of your culture no one has a right to dictate how you should run it. If those people do not want a democratic society no one (yourself included) should attempt to spread imperialism and force them to change policy. That is how they live, that is their culture, and enforcing change is actually contributing to the demise of the culture. In the u.s. we have laws against "coining" yet people of the Asian community still practice this. Should the laws be changed or should they be exempt from the law because of this? NO!

Mar 9, 2005
So you don't consider me a 'stand up type of guy' because I criticized the bible for being boring, actually took the time to read it and then said that it was quite interesting? Strange that. Regardless, I could care less whether you consider me a stand up type of guy, you should reflect on yourself one of these days and you'll probably have the self-realization that you also fit into this category.

One of the reasons I had to read the David Suzuki book whilst reading the bible is because it does get boring after a while and you need to break it up. I was curious as to what was so special about these texts, and you essentially forced to read the bible in order to both understand what you have been talking about and to avoid further criticizm from you simply because I hadn't read it. I reiterate my previous statement - I am an avid reader. In fact, I've probably read almost fifty books this year thus far - why is it so hard for you to believe in the concept of me completing the bible in the best part of three weeks?

I am not suggesting that what is right for us should be right for everyone else - I completely disagree with that. For the most part I hate American popular culture based on the fact that it destroys REAL cultures in the world (even though I subscribe to it, I know). I would never attempt to force these people to change their laws to mirror those of the developed world - I would far sooner support their own decisions if it promotes their culture. Besides, if their laws are based on their religion, and the majority of them follow that religion, then their governing system IS a democracy. I still don't agree with the concept of forcing people to perform acts in the name of a God who THEY don't believe exists (not that I don't believe exists).

Mar 9, 2005
Oh yeah, you breed praying mantises? Nice one - they all start popping up around my neck of the woods about this time of the year, although they're usually yellow (don't know why) - maybe they're the young ones? (the yellow ones are always small, but I see a few big green ones). Smart little creatures them.

How many are born in a single 'litter'? Do you release a certain amount of them back into the wild?

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
Mantids are pale or yellow when they first hatch. About a couple of days after hatching they have a grey like color, and after the first molt they will start to become the color of the habitat they reside in. I have two pregnant females one is 3 inches and green, and the other is 3.5 and light brown. I've had some that were really dark brown, and even raised a hatchling to where he his colors were green and purple. I raise Chinese and Carolinas (mantids are often named after the places where they inhabit), but when I finally clear out this storage room in my home and buckle down on what new tank (s) I want I'll get into the more exotic species like Violins. Heres what they look like:

http://www.tardis.ed.ac.uk/~mbe/gallery/Edinburgh/mantis/

As far as the babies being born that depends on teh size of the oothecha (egg case) and species. usually I get 50 to 300 from an egg case and the majority are released into the wild. I'll keep around ten back to see if they are male or female, and after I have enough breeding pairs the rest are released into the wild.

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
So you don't consider me a 'stand up type of guy' because I criticized the bible for being boring, actually took the time to read it and then said that it was quite interesting?
Hutch, even before you did this, I said you didn't strike me as such. However, you shouldn't ponder suicide over this because the majority of people here (on the entire board) wouldn't be considered stand up type of individuals. Maybe it is because you are an Aussie and aussies don't matter much in the grand scheme of things.

Regardless, I could care less whether you consider me a stand up type of guy, you should reflect on yourself one of these days and you'll probably have the self-realization that you also fit into this category.
It wouldn't matter. However people look at me is however they look at me. Jesus was looked on as a saviour, yet his own people (people of teh same ethnic group) called him the son of beelzeebub and said he was demon possessed. What is most important is how I believe God looks at me and how I consider myself. Am I hard on certain people here? You bet because iron sharpens iron.

One of the reasons I had to read the David Suzuki book whilst reading the bible is because it does get boring after a while and you need to break it up. I was curious as to what was so special about these texts, and you essentially forced to read the bible in order to both understand what you have been talking about and to avoid further criticizm from you simply because I hadn't read it. I reiterate my previous statement - I am an avid reader. In fact, I've probably read almost fifty books this year thus far - why is it so hard for you to believe in the concept of me completing the bible in the best part of three weeks?
No person who found a book that boring would have continued it. These types of things do not happen in the real world. I am not disputing that you're an avid reader. What I'm disputing is your claim that you have read the bible. Based on your past statements (which were made less than a month ago), it is kind of far fetched to believe you went from "boring" to "this is interesting."

I am not suggesting that what is right for us should be right for everyone else - I completely disagree with that. For the most part I hate American popular culture based on the fact that it destroys REAL cultures in the world (even though I subscribe to it, I know). I would never attempt to force these people to change their laws to mirror those of the developed world - I would far sooner support their own decisions if it promotes their culture. Besides, if their laws are based on their religion, and the majority of them follow that religion, then their governing system IS a democracy. I still don't agree with the concept of forcing people to perform acts in the name of a God who THEY don't believe exists (not that I don't believe exists).
Again, if that is the law of the land so be it. Do you think I'm going to go to Japan and violate their rules and customs based on the fact that I was born in america? If that is the way the government operates thats the way it operates, and if a certain government is based on religion thats what people need to respect (even if they don't believe.)

Mar 9, 2005
300 babies? Damn, that's a lot! They look strange - almost as though they are prehistoric. Their heads and upper arms makes them look like small dragons. Can't say I've seen any mantises like that around here - we have the generic style mantis, like this one here:

I've seen them as big as six inches, and the small ones are yellow and sometimes less than a centimetre long. I suppose it's pretty green here so it would pay for them to turn a lush green colour. I definitely haven't seen one that's purple before! Did you let him go or decide to breed him - you could have done some type of mendelian genetic analysis or something.

Mar 9, 2005
HERESY said:
Maybe it is because you are an Aussie and aussies don't matter much in the grand scheme of things.
It's true. Unfortunate, but true nonetheless!

HERESY said:
What is most important is how I believe God looks at me and how I consider myself. Am I hard on certain people here? You bet because iron sharpens iron.
Just wondering then - do you naturally look down upon athiests because in your mind God would look at us in a negative light and thus so should you? Or is it just because I'm a big mouth who is very opinionated?

HERESY said:
No person who found a book that boring would have continued it. These types of things do not happen in the real world. I am not disputing that you're an avid reader. What I'm disputing is your claim that you have read the bible. Based on your past statements (which were made less than a month ago), it is kind of far fetched to believe you went from "boring" to "this is interesting."
The switch from 'boring' to 'this is interesting' was brought about by a temporary change in my perspective. When I initially started to read the bible several years ago, all that I could think of was 'this is bullshit, this is bullshit' because I had my own preconceived notions about what religion was. On this occasion, I attempted (sometimes in vain) to read the bible from the view of someone who could atleast have the potential to believe in God, and from this perspective it was rather interesting. I have read a book that was actually far more boring than the bible - Charles Darwins 'On the Origin of Species'. Some may consider me a glutton for punishment for putting myself through it, but I felt as though a book which has had such an impact on the world deserves to be read - the same way I finally convinced myself to think of the bible.

HERESY said:
Again, if that is the law of the land so be it. Do you think I'm going to go to Japan and violate their rules and customs based on the fact that I was born in america? If that is the way the government operates thats the way it operates, and if a certain government is based on religion thats what people need to respect (even if they don't believe.)
I think there is a misunderstanding here - I'm not suggesting that people born of a certain culture should be exempt from following the laws of another because they decided to live in a country which follows that culture. I'm talking strictly about indigenous individuals, such as a child who was born of muslim parents in muslim country. If this child were raised traditionally and then, of his own will, decided that he didn't believe in Allah - should he be forced to pray and support religious 'events' like Ramadan because he is expected to? Should the full force of the law be brought against him if he does not perform such services to Allah?

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
It's true. Unfortunate, but true nonetheless!
I'm glad you understand. Besides, if I were all mushy with you it wouldn't be good when we "clash", so its good that some friction and madness occur.

Hutch look at the following for example. What if I spun this convo into something wacky, and said you were trying to identify with me or find some common ground because I raised mantids and you appear to have an interest? That would be crazy right? Right, but its the power of words.....

Just wondering then - do you naturally look down upon athiests because in your mind God would look at us in a negative light and thus so should you? Or is it just because I'm a big mouth who is very opinionated?
The second one is applicable. Hutch, I speak out more against "christians" than I do athiest, but at the same time I defend TRUE CHRISTIANS. I can't knock you because of the way you believe. You are an individual, and if you believe a certain way, it is my belief that it is up to you and God to make things work. I do not know what is in your heart, the only thing I can say about your belifs is "according to the bible.....", but as I said before I don't know your heart (or your future), and who knows? You may become a leading christian preacher for all I know.

The switch from 'boring' to 'this is interesting' was brought about by a temporary change in my perspective. When I initially started to read the bible several years ago, all that I could think of was 'this is bullshit, this is bullshit' because I had my own preconceived notions about what religion was. On this occasion, I attempted (sometimes in vain) to read the bible from the view of someone who could atleast have the potential to believe in God, and from this perspective it was rather interesting. I have read a book that was actually far more boring than the bible - Charles Darwins 'On the Origin of Species'. Some may consider me a glutton for punishment for putting myself through it, but I felt as though a book which has had such an impact on the world deserves to be read - the same way I finally convinced myself to think of the bible.
Fair enough, and if you have truly read it and still say it is B.S. you have the right to do so.

I think there is a misunderstanding here - I'm not suggesting that people born of a certain culture should be exempt from following the laws of another because they decided to live in a country which follows that culture. I'm talking strictly about indigenous individuals, such as a child who was born of muslim parents in muslim country. If this child were raised traditionally and then, of his own will, decided that he didn't believe in Allah - should he be forced to pray and support religious 'events' like Ramadan because he is expected to? Should the full force of the law be brought against him if he does not perform such services to Allah?
I can answer this two ways. Which way you want me to answer it? Door #1 or Door #2?

Mar 9, 2005
That is a very strange question. Do you perceive me as being asian based on my Jet Li Avatar or on something I've said in particular?

Mar 9, 2005
yeah - I don't know the meaning of Shelby though - is it meant to have Australian origins? You don't mean Sheila do you? That's the word we use for women in Australia - I'm not a woman! What does Shelby mean?