The Official 2013 Raiders Offseason Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Mar 8, 2008
Raiders CEO Amy Trask, a long-time member of the organization and the only high-level female executive in the league who isn’t related to team ownership (other than Dolphins V.P. of football administration Dawn Aponte), has resigned from the organization.

She informed owner Mark Davis of the decision earlier today.

“Having honored a commitment that I made to effectuate a smooth transition and transfer of control, I no longer wish to remain with the organization,” Trask said in an email distributed to multiple members of the media.

“For over a quarter of a century, it was my honor and my privilege to work for the Raiders. I will forever appreciate the opportunity afforded me by Al Davis.”

The commitment mentioned by Trask presumably refers to a promise made to the late owner of the team, who died in 2011.

Trask always displayed genuine passion for the Raiders and for her work on the team’s behalf, zealously defending the fans against accusations of misbehavior and aggressively attempting to help the organization be viewed in a favorable light. Her future plans aren’t clear, but the other 31 NFL organizations should immediately consider where she could fit in the current hierarchy — especially the team on the other side of the San Francisco Bay.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuck!

Mar 8, 2008
Oakland Raiders: QB Tyler Wilson shows off strong arm 05/11/2013 4:41 PM

ALAMEDA — As far as rookies go, quarterback Tyler Wilson looked nothing of the sort Saturday as he displayed the poise and skills of a seasoned veteran in only his second practice as a member of the Raiders.

Wilson showed off a strong arm, placing balls right on target time and again, be it swing passes, throws over the middle or well downfield.

"Obviously, picking up a new system, there's a little bit of rust there," Raiders coach Dennis Allen said of Wilson. "But throwing the ball, he's done a nice job. I don't have any question about his arm strength and his accuracy."

If anything, it's the receivers that are going to have to adjust to the velocity on Wilson's throws. Several times, laser-like throws went through or off a receiver's hands.

Wilson arrived as a fourth-round draft pick out of Arkansas, with a reputation for being a bright guy, confident in his abilities and ready to take on any challenge.

It's not a stretch to envision Wilson playing well enough to surge past presumptive starter Matt Flynn and third-year player Terrelle Pryor at some point, even if he downplays the situation.

"It's an opportunity," Wilson said after practice. "Obviously, there's a lot I have to learn. ... I've got a lot of work to do to get up to speed because there have been veteran guys that have been here that are way ahead of me right now. So, I'm playing catch-up from that point."

The Raiders traded for Flynn earlier this offseason on the same day that they traded starter Carson Palmer to the Arizona Cardinals. Flynn has started only two games during his five-year NFL career. Pryor started the regular-season finale in 2012 for his only start.

Through it all, Allen and general manager Reggie McKenzie refuse to anoint Flynn the starter, going only so far as to say that Flynn will begin with the first-team offense.

Allen and McKenzie want competition at all positions. To that end, Wilson is game.

"I do think I can bring some things to the table skill-set wise," Wilson said. "But, again, I've got to play catch-up at this point. I'm going to use it as an opportunity and compete like heck."

Mar 8, 2008
Rookie cornerback D.J. Hayden just happy to be back on field
05/11/2013 7:45 PM

ALAMEDA -- It was the second day of a rookie minicamp practice in shorts with no pads Saturday, but it was special to Raiders cornerback D.J. Hayden.

Hayden has been a national story since being picked by the Raiders with the 12th selection of the NFL draft April 25, including an ESPN piece detailing his miraculous comeback from a ruptured vein leading to his heart.

The Nov. 6 injury, with a 95 percent fatality rate, was repaired during surgery and left a long scar down the front of his body. Hayden lost 25 pounds and couldn't walk for three weeks.

Despite the injury, which occurred during practice, the University of Houston cornerback was so highly regarded by Reggie McKenzie that the Raiders general manager said he planned to take Hayden with the third pick had a deal not been reached to move back to No. 12.

Having watched the collision that caused the injury more than 100 times in the hospital, Hayden now says he's over it.

"I don't even think about it," he said. "The only time I think about it is when somebody asks me. But when I'm on the field I don't think about it. I think about the play, and I think about the coverage. I've put it past me."

The no-contact sessions are the closest thing to actual football Hayden has seen since being injured.

"It felt so great just to be out there, to put the helmet back on and actually be back on the field," Hayden said.

Hayden practiced despite a slight hamstring strain incurred while training for his pro day 40-yard dash but said he has been "completely" cleared by doctors following a procedure that repaired his inferior vena cava and required surgeons to cut through his sternum.

On one play, Hayden missed a jam at the line of scrimmage but made a quick recovery and broke up a pass with a swipe of his right hand.

"He's looked pretty good," coach Dennis Allen said. "He made a nice play on the ball today. I'm pleased with where D.J.'s at. It's going to be a learning process. It's putting one foot in front of the other. I think when it comes time to play games this September he'll be ready to roll."

Quarterback Tyler Wilson, who faced deficits often during a 4-8 senior year at Arkansas, is making up for lost time in hopes of being able to compete with Matt Flynn and Terrelle Pryor when the full team convenes for organized team activities May 20.
"Obviously, there's a lot I have to learn," Wilson, a fourth-round draft choice, said. "I've got a lot of work to do to get up to speed because there have been veteran guys that have been here that are way ahead of me right now. So I'm playing catch-up. I do think I can bring some things to the table skill-set wise."

Wilson's arm strength was evident, particularly in contrast with Kyle Padron, an undrafted free agent out of Eastern Washington and the only other quarterback on the minicamp roster.

Equally as impressive to Allen is Wilson's demeanor.

"I like the way that Tyler's commanded the huddle," Allen said. "I've liked the way that he's gone through his reads. He's picking up a new system, but I think he's doing a nice job. I don't think there's any question about his arm strength and his accuracy."

Defensive tackle Stacy McGee, a sixth-round pick out of Oklahoma with issues that include a DUI, a citation for marijuana possession and drug paraphernalia and an unspecified team suspension, is happy to get a new start.
The hope is getting away from home will be part of the maturation process.

"Getting away from my family, changing my life and the people I'm around will help a lot," he said.

Despite an apparent glut of linebackers, Allen said the Raiders' base defense will not be a 3-4 alignment.
"We're basing out of a 4-3, just like we did last year," he said. "We're going to have the ability to have some 3-4 looks, implement things and make them as simple as we can for our players and complicated for the offense."

Running back Latavius Murray, a fourth-round pick from Central Florida, was impressive as a pass receiver out of the backfield.
Share Story

Chree

Medicated
Dec 7, 2005
lol the raiders have no good option at qb

The Contra Costa Times believes it's "not a stretch" to think fourth-round pick Tyler Wilson could surpass Matt Flynn and Terrelle Pryor on the Raiders' quarterback depth chart this season.
Wilson reportedly looked like a "seasoned veteran" at rookie minicamp, throwing the football with placement and velocity. He'll look even better in preseason games because Wilson stands tall and firm in the pocket and isn't gun-shy under pressure. "Throwing the ball, he’s done a nice job," said coach Dennis Allen. "I don’t have any question about his arm strength and his accuracy."

Mar 8, 2008
Oakland Raiders sign seven free agents 05/13/2013 4:12 PM

The Raiders on Monday signed seven free agents and claimed wide receiver Andre Holmes off waivers from the New England Patriots.

The players signed are: cornerbacks Chance Casey-Thomas and Mitchell White, linebacker Eric Harper, wide receiver Greg Jenkins, tight end Jeron Mastrud, defenisve end Ryan Robinson and center Andrew Robiskie The Raiders signed those players after they worked out for the Raiders over the weekend.

The Raiders waived CB Adrian Bushell, C Deveric Gallington, DB Akwasi Owusu-Ansah, TE Mickey Shuler and LS Adam Steiner to make room on the 90-man roster for the players signed.

Here's some background information on the players signed:

Free agents:

Chance Casey-Thomas (5-11, 190) CB — Baylor: Started all or parts of four seasons as a safety, playing with Robert Griffin III from 2009-11. Finished with 212 tackles (161 solo), six for loss, three interceptions, 18 passes defensed and three forced fumbles. Also returned punts for the Bears.

Eric Harper (6-3, 240) LB — Grambling State: Transferred from Louisiana Tech prior to his senior season, then in his first season as a college starter had 54 tackles and 6½ sacks. Played primarily tight end until his transfer. Lost his house in Hurricane Katrina, which forced him to play for another high school.

Greg Jenkins (6-1, 208) WR — Alabama State: Compiled 17 touchdowns and almost 2,200 yards in the Southwest Athletic Conference's most productive offense

Jeron Mastrud (6-5, 255) TE — Kansas State: Signed as an undrafted free agent with Tampa Bay in 2010, then spent training camp with the Bucs and the first couple weeks of his rookie season on the Patriots' practice squad, before Miami signed him to its active roster. Played in 36 games with six starts over his first three NFL seasons (2010-12), all with Miami, catching one career pass for 8 yards. He was eligible to participate in the rookie mini-camp despite being fourth-year player because he did not receive a qualifying offer or minimum salary tender from his previous team (Miami) upon expiration of his contract.

Ryan Robinson (6-4, 255) DE — Oklahoma State: A junior-college transfer, started his senior year at OSU and finished second on the team with six pass breakups, in addition to 32 total stops (25 solo), 8½ tackles for loss and 2½ sacks. Spent two years at Jones Community College. Father and three uncles played college football. Two of those uncles played for the New York Jets and Washington Redskins, respectively.

Andrew Robiskie (6-1, 297) C — Western Illinois: Started the final 25 games of his career on the offensive line, including his senior year exclusively at center. Helped the Leathernecks to a record-setting year and an NCAA playoff berth as a junior in 2011. Son of former NFL RB Terry Robiskie, now the WR coach for the Atlanta Falcons, and brother of the Detroit Lions' Brian Robiskie.

Mitchell White (5-11, 184) CB — Michigan State: In 43 college games, finished with 26 career tackles (12 solo) and one pass defensed. Played primarily as a reserve defensive back and special-teams contributor during his four years with the Spartans. A former walk-on, earned a scholarship prior to his sophomore campaign. Also competed as a high-jumper on the Michigan State track team. Identical twin brother, Myles, a WR at Louisiana Tech, signed late last month as a non-drafted free agent with the Green Bay Packers.

Waiver claim:

Andre Holmes (6-4, 210) WR — Hillsdale: Third-year player was waived by the New England Patriots Friday. Played in seven games with the Dallas Cowboys last season, registering two receptions for 11 yards. Joined the Cowboys as a free agent for the final four games of the 2011 season, but did not see action. Entered the NFL with the Minnesota Vikings as a non-drafted rookie free agent out of Hillsdale, where he was teammates with current Raiders T Jared Veldheer.

Props: MRTHECOSE

Meta4iCAL

Raider Nation
Feb 21, 2005
So I guess we made an offer to Charles Woodson. I doubt he comes to Oakland, I'm sure he wants to play for a contender at this point in his career

Mar 8, 2008
Rolando McClain Retires from NFL at Age 23

By Matt Fitzgerald on May 15, 2013

Baltimore Ravens inside linebacker and former first-round draft pick Rolando McClain is retiring from the NFL at the very young age of 23.

Ryan Mink broke the surprising news on the team's official website on Wednesday. McClain reportedly told Ravens general manager Ozzie Newsome that he planned to retire, and Newsome subsequently placed him on the Reserve/Retired list this afternoon.

In January, McClain was arrested for the third time in 16 months. He was then waived by the Oakland Raiders in April—the team that selected him with the No. 8 overall pick in the 2010 draft.

After signing a one-year contract with Baltimore this offseason, it appeared McClain was getting a golden opportunity to get his career back on track. However, the off-field problems continued, as McClain was again arrested for disorderly conduct and resisting arrest in Decatur, Alabama.

NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport reported last week that parting ways with McClain was still a definite possibility.

That was in spite of the fact that Ravens assistant GM Eric DeCosta said even after McClain’s most recent run-in with the law, that the talented linebacker deserved a second chance.

It’s no longer going to be an issue for the defending Super Bowl champions in light of this news, as McClain seems set to walk away from the gridiron for good. As Rapoport points out, McClain's short-term deal was heavily reliant on incentives.

Throughout his all too brief career, the ex-Alabama Crimson Tide star simply did not live up to the hype. 2011 was easily McClain’s best campaign, as he racked up 99 combined tackles, five sacks and defended 14 passes.