The Oakland Athletics

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 26, 2003
East Oakland, USA
Manny makes strong first impression on A's
PHOENIX -- If actions really do speak louder than words, as Manny Ramirez says they do, then the 39-year-old slugger is off to an excellent start with the A's.

Ramirez, attempting to play his way back into the game he left behind nearly a year ago, made for quite the scene Friday morning, as he embarked on the latest chapter of a controversial career via a Minor League deal with Oakland.

The newest member of the A's, who will wear No. 1 "because everything starts with one," quickly made himself at ease with his teammates, whom he shared several laughs with when not showing off his picturesque swing -- at least seven home runs were counted -- during a round of batting practice.
"As soon as he made contact with the baseball," Cliff Pennington said, "you could tell it was a different animal. He's still got whatever it is he's got."

Much of the reason it's on display again can be traced to his wife and media darling, Juliana, who took to the mound in a white summer dress and four-inch heels and managed to throw strike after strike to sons Manny Jr. and Lucas during their own playful hitting session. Minutes before, they stood closely by Ramirez's side as he addressed media members for nearly 12 minutes and relayed a sense of gratitude for his most recent opportunity and the change he's found in himself since discovering God.

• Spring Training tickets
• Travel packages
• Spring Training schedule

"I think I'm here because God brought me here," Ramirez said, exuding a genuine tone. "Sometimes when you don't have God in your heart, you do stupid things without thinking about it. When you start going to church and learning what really is going on, it's like you're opening your eyes and realizing it doesn't matter how much money you got, nice house, cars. If you don't have God in your heart, it doesn't mean anything. So now I appreciate my family more, my kids, the game."

Whether he can still play the game at the level he maintained in his previous 19 big league seasons remains to be seen. The A's presented Ramirez with a non-guaranteed contract worth just $500,000, a number that will dwindle to around $340,000 -- the league minimum is $480,000 -- following his 50-game drug suspension.

Money, obviously, wasn't a factor in his decision to re-enter the game, which last saw him in a Rays uniform before he retired after just five games rather than serve a 100-game suspension that has since been cut in half.

"I made some mistakes and I want to show my children I can correct them," Ramirez said.

It was just last September he was formally charged with domestic violence, an event that nearly led him to lose his family. But just like Friday, his wife never left his side, and instead inspired him to attend church every Thursday morning and engage in prayer.

In turn, Ramirez not only found a listener in God but in himself. "I'm happy I got a job. Just got to go and compete and prove to people I can still play. With God's help, I'm going to make the team."

The 12-time All-Star -- a career .312 hitter with 555 home runs, good for 14th on the all-time list, and 1,831 RBIs -- will receive plenty of at-bats at the designated hitter spot this spring. His suspension, which makes him eligible to play in a Major League contest as early as May 30, does not preclude him from participating in any exhibition games.

By Friday afternoon, manager Bob Melvin had already expressed to Ramirez what he expects from him during that time, and in any action that may follow under his watch.

"He said, 'You will have no problem with me,'" Melvin said. "I only have a couple rules. One is kind of all-encompassing, but all our guys know I expect them to bust it down the line every single time, and he said, 'I'll be the last guy you have to worry about that as far as that goes.'"

"His attitude that he came in with was awesome, and just the whole approach he had to the day in general was all that you could ever ask for," Pennington said. "I think he'll be an awesome guy on our team to have going forward. It was like we were long-lost friends."

Fellow dreadlock wearer Jemile Weeks was equally impressed, not just by Ramirez's performance, but in the genuine manner he conducted business on Day 1.

"For somebody with his stature and track record, to come and talk to the younger guys and make us feel comfortable, that's a big plus on his behalf," the A's second baseman said. "You can tell he has the right frame of mind, off the field and on. In my mind, he's still got it. The power hasn't gone anywhere.

"He jumps out of bed hitting home runs. He kept saying, 'Nah, I didn't get that one.' And they were all gone in a second."

Ramirez's time with the A's could be, too, should he act up in "Manny being Manny" fashion. But he insists his transformation is a permanent one.

"Sometimes you don't appreciate what you have until you lose it, and that's what happened to me," he said. "Everyone knows my story. ... Now, I'm at peace."
Good to hear. Just hope it sticks. And if you watch the video on the A's site he looks like he's in real good shape, and his swing is as nice as ever.

REACHTMO

panty vandalizer
Aug 7, 2011
AS good as shape as a 39 year old can be anyways, He'll be 40 by the time his suspension is up. I guess its a good omen that he came into contact with the other players with a positive fashion, cause hes definetly a drama queen. Yall can talk about him being a veteran and all, but he definetly hasnt been known to be the positive guy in the locker room that young players look up to

DubbC415

Mickey Fallon
Sep 10, 2002
Tomato Alley
In the past the A's had the deep farm system to replace the big name players they lost, and worked to acquire vets via trade. Now its sign vets and somewhat unproven talent and trade for prospects.

i think the pitchers we got are gonna look real good soon.

DubbC415

Mickey Fallon
Sep 10, 2002
Tomato Alley
A's/Dodgers series, who's going? I was gonna get like 12 tickets cuz the $2 game is the day after my birthday. But my "friends" are fags who would be like "why would i ever go to an A's game?" Oh yeah, im sorry i provided blunt smoke, booze, snacks, a ride, free parking, and a fun ass time. Yeah why the fuck would you go?

Apr 26, 2003
East Oakland, USA
Giants CEO Larry Baer when asked about the Giants potentially relinquishing territorial rights to San Jose, allowing the Athletics to move...."I'm going to be respectful of the process here," said Baer to reporters "You know, I think that's really important. The game is bigger than any internal machinations."

Jan 5, 2006
A's/Dodgers series, who's going? I was gonna get like 12 tickets cuz the $2 game is the day after my birthday. But my "friends" are fags who would be like "why would i ever go to an A's game?" Oh yeah, im sorry i provided blunt smoke, booze, snacks, a ride, free parking, and a fun ass time. Yeah why the fuck would you go?
Why dont all of us sicc goons roll then?

Apr 26, 2003
East Oakland, USA
Unfortunately, Athletics third baseman Scott Sizemore is out for the 2012 season with a torn anterior cruciate ligament. Assistant GM David Forst addressed reporters today, explaining that Josh Donaldson will get the first look as his potential replacement. The team will look both internally and externally for other options, though Forst noted that spring training is generally not a time for trading.

Donaldson, 26, is a catcher by trade, but he's played the infield corners and a touch of outfield in the minors. According to Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle, "The A's liked the work Donaldson did at third base the final month of last season at Triple-A Sacramento and at winter ball in the Dominican Republic, and they believe he's improved enough defensively to handle the position at the big-league level. In addition, some think Donaldson will hit better when he's not catching." The A's have a few other internal candidates, but a little outside help is worth considering.

Slusser wrote Sunday the A's would be likely to have interest in Alberto Callaspo of the division-rival Angels, if they could get him without parting with a significant prospect. Our free agent tracker shows a few minor league deal options, such as Miguel Tejada and Wes Helms. Where could the A's look if they are to get more aggressive on the trade market this summer?

Baltimore's Mark Reynolds could become available, though he's not known for his defense and has limited no-trade protection. Chone Figgins is another midseason name to consider, but only if he gets off to a strong start and the Mariners assume most of the money remaining on his contract. Same goes for Brandon Inge of the Tigers. I could see the Rockies moving Casey Blake, should Nolan Arenado force the issue in a few months. Projected as a short-side platoon partner at the infield corners for the Pirates, Casey McGehee might prefer a chance to play regularly again.

The A's are in a weird spot, as Sizemore seemed something of a stopgap himself. Most likely if they bring in anyone this spring, it'll be a free agent on a minor league deal, or a trade for someone who signed one, such as Blake, Brooks Conrad, Jose Lopez, Mark Teahen, or Brandon Wood. In that case, guys like Donaldson and Stephen Parker might as well get looks.
"Tell Billy to give me a call," free agent infielder Miguel Tejada implored Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle, campaigning for a job with his old team. Aware of third baseman's Scott Sizemore's season-ending injury, Tejada said he'd love to return to the A's and he doesn't want big money. Tejada began his career with the A's, winning an MVP award with them in 2002.

Tejada told Slusser he wasn't happy in San Francisco last year, where he posted a .239/.270/.326 line in 343 plate appearances before being cut loose. The infielder feels he can still play, and friend Yoenis Cespedes would benefit from his presence. Cespedes is likely to arrive in to A's camp in Phoenix this weekend, reports Slusser.

Slusser considers a even a minor league deal with the A's a longshot for Tejada. The A's are giving Josh Donaldson a chance to replace Sizemore this year.
Fuck off Tejada. I'd rather have a different fan picked randomly at every game to play third.

Chree

Medicated
Dec 7, 2005
Giants CEO Larry Baer when asked about the Giants potentially relinquishing territorial rights to San Jose, allowing the Athletics to move...."I'm going to be respectful of the process here," said Baer to reporters "You know, I think that's really important. The game is bigger than any internal machinations."
MLB likely to uphold San Francisco Giants' territorial rights in San Jose, leaving the A's stuck in Oakland
Baseball to tell Oakland ... no way, San Jose

TAMPA - After a whirlwind winter of wheeling and dealing, in which he traded three All-Star pitchers and signed both Cuban expatriate, Yoenis Cespedes, and MLB renegade Manny Ramirez, Billy Beane went to Hollywood for the Oscars last week as a guest of Brad Pitt (who played him in a 2011 film) and Sony Pictures, with visions of one day soon taking his revised on-field version of “Moneyball” to San Jose.

Unfortunately, the “Moneyball” film came up empty with the Academy Award voters, and the same fate beckons for Beane and Oakland A’s owners Lew Wolff and John Fisher in their determined effort to move to a new stadium in Hi-Tech haven. The latter prospect, in which, for a variety of reasons, MLB is going to uphold the San Francisco Giants’ territorial rights in San Jose, will be especially disheartening for Beane. The man behind “Moneyballl” essentially blew up his pitching staff, trading his 1-2 starters, Gio Gonzalez and Trevor Cahill, to the Washington Nationals and Arizona Diamondbacks, respectively, and shipped closer Andrew Bailey to the Red Sox — for a bushelful of prospects and young players. All the deals were designed to have a contending-ready team in three years when, presumably, the A’s would be liberated from the gloomy, outmoded Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum and on their way to San Jose.

“For the last 15 years it’s been business as usual in Oakland except the cycles are closer payroll-wise versus revenues,” Beane said by phone from Arizona. “We had a two-fold problem. We needed payroll room to put together an entire new outfield (after the free-agent departures of Josh Willingham, David DeJesus and Hideki Matsui) and we needed to replenish our farm system. So we traded our three best assets and got back 10 young players plus payroll room to sign (center fielder) Coco Crisp (signed for two years, $14 million) and Cespedes.

Though most scouts contend Cespedes has a lot to learn about hitting a major league breaking ball, Beane says the 26-year-old Cuban center fielder is in camp competing for a job in the outfield that now also includes Josh Reddick, the erstwhile top Red Sox prospect who came over in the Bailey deal; Collin Cowgill, a .354 hitter in 98 games at Triple-A Reno last year who was part of the Cahill deal with Arizona; Seth Smith, whom Beane obtained from the Colorado Rockies for two other pitchers, Guillermo Moscoso and Josh Outman; and rookie Michael Taylor. As for Ramirez, believed to be a baseball pariah after he walked away from the Tampa Bay Rays last spring and tested positive for performance-enhancing drugs, Beane defends: “It’s a non-guaranteed, no risk ($500,000) contract for the DH spot where we didn’t have a young player ready to slip in. If he can’t do it, we can turn the page in one hour and release him.”

With or without Manny and Cespedes, however, the A’s are looking at another long, dreary season in Oakland as Wolf grows increasingly impatient with Baseball Commissioner Bud Selig’s interminable delay in ruling on the Giants’ territorial rights to San Jose. There are two reasons why Selig hasn’t ruled:

1. The Giants’ territorial rights to San Jose are part of the MLB constitution as a result of former A’s owner, Levi-Strauss heir Wally Haas agreeing to cede them in 1989 to Giants owner Bob Lurie, who, frustrated in his efforts to get a new stadium in San Francisco, was looking to relocate the team.

2. Even if Selig did invoke his “best interests of baseball” powers and allowed the A’s to move to San Jose, he probably doesn’t have the votes.

Lurie never did try to move the Giants to San Jose, but the fact that he now held those territorial rights to the rich high-tech Silicon Valley enhanced the Giants’ value, and was a prime reason why Lurie, who bought the Giants in 1976 for $8 million, was able to sell them for $100 million in 1993 to a group headed by former Safeway magnate Peter Magowan. The San Jose rights were also the reason why Magowan was able to secure financing for the new ballpark in San Francisco, as the Giants now maintain the crux of their constituency — season box and suite holders — is from the Silicon Valley.

To strip the Giants of their territorial rights to San Jose would require a three-quarters vote of the clubs, and as one baseball lawyer observed: “Clubs would realize what a terrible ‘there but for the grace of God go us’ precedent that would create in which all of their territorial rights would then be in jeopardy.” As an example of that, one can’t imagine the Yankees, Mets or Phillies voting to take the Giants’ territorial rights to San Jose away when it could conceivably open the doors for a team seeking to re-locate to New Jersey.

So, with no way to San Jose, where does this leave the A’s and Beane, who recently signed a contract extension through 2019 when he conceivably thought he’d be operating there? With the Giants adamant against making any financial settlement with the A’s on San Jose, Wolff and Fisher would appear to have only two options: Find a suitable site for a new stadium in their own (East Bay) territory, possibly right next door to the Coliseum, or sell the team. At least, if they choose the latter, the likely $1.5 billion-plus the Dodgers figure to fetch will help boost the value of the A’s well past the $172 million they paid for them in 2006.

Or, if everyone concludes the A’s financial survival anywhere in their own territory is untenable, there is the final solution: Contraction. In noting the similar plight of the Tampa Bay Rays, whose ironclad lease with Tropicana Field holds them hostage in St. Petersburg until 2027, one baseball official said darkly: “The A’s and Rays are both in hopeless situations, and there’s no place to move these teams. Hard as this might be to swallow for a lot of us, it would be in the best interests of baseball to contract both of them. You’d have a better game, and it would be two less teams we all have to subsidize.”

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/b...stuck-oakland-article-1.1032531#ixzz1o9KO8u1U

Apr 26, 2003
East Oakland, USA
MLB likely to uphold San Francisco Giants' territorial rights in San Jose, leaving the A's stuck in Oakland
Baseball to tell Oakland ... no way, San Jose

TAMPA - After a whirlwind winter of wheeling and dealing, in which he traded three All-Star pitchers and signed both Cuban expatriate, Yoenis Cespedes, and MLB renegade Manny Ramirez, Billy Beane went to Hollywood for the Oscars last week as a guest of Brad Pitt (who played him in a 2011 film) and Sony Pictures, with visions of one day soon taking his revised on-field version of “Moneyball” to San Jose.

Unfortunately, the “Moneyball” film came up empty with the Academy Award voters, and the same fate beckons for Beane and Oakland A’s owners Lew Wolff and John Fisher in their determined effort to move to a new stadium in Hi-Tech haven. The latter prospect, in which, for a variety of reasons, MLB is going to uphold the San Francisco Giants’ territorial rights in San Jose, will be especially disheartening for Beane. The man behind “Moneyballl” essentially blew up his pitching staff, trading his 1-2 starters, Gio Gonzalez and Trevor Cahill, to the Washington Nationals and Arizona Diamondbacks, respectively, and shipped closer Andrew Bailey to the Red Sox — for a bushelful of prospects and young players. All the deals were designed to have a contending-ready team in three years when, presumably, the A’s would be liberated from the gloomy, outmoded Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum and on their way to San Jose.

“For the last 15 years it’s been business as usual in Oakland except the cycles are closer payroll-wise versus revenues,” Beane said by phone from Arizona. “We had a two-fold problem. We needed payroll room to put together an entire new outfield (after the free-agent departures of Josh Willingham, David DeJesus and Hideki Matsui) and we needed to replenish our farm system. So we traded our three best assets and got back 10 young players plus payroll room to sign (center fielder) Coco Crisp (signed for two years, $14 million) and Cespedes.

Though most scouts contend Cespedes has a lot to learn about hitting a major league breaking ball, Beane says the 26-year-old Cuban center fielder is in camp competing for a job in the outfield that now also includes Josh Reddick, the erstwhile top Red Sox prospect who came over in the Bailey deal; Collin Cowgill, a .354 hitter in 98 games at Triple-A Reno last year who was part of the Cahill deal with Arizona; Seth Smith, whom Beane obtained from the Colorado Rockies for two other pitchers, Guillermo Moscoso and Josh Outman; and rookie Michael Taylor. As for Ramirez, believed to be a baseball pariah after he walked away from the Tampa Bay Rays last spring and tested positive for performance-enhancing drugs, Beane defends: “It’s a non-guaranteed, no risk ($500,000) contract for the DH spot where we didn’t have a young player ready to slip in. If he can’t do it, we can turn the page in one hour and release him.”

With or without Manny and Cespedes, however, the A’s are looking at another long, dreary season in Oakland as Wolf grows increasingly impatient with Baseball Commissioner Bud Selig’s interminable delay in ruling on the Giants’ territorial rights to San Jose. There are two reasons why Selig hasn’t ruled:

1. The Giants’ territorial rights to San Jose are part of the MLB constitution as a result of former A’s owner, Levi-Strauss heir Wally Haas agreeing to cede them in 1989 to Giants owner Bob Lurie, who, frustrated in his efforts to get a new stadium in San Francisco, was looking to relocate the team.

2. Even if Selig did invoke his “best interests of baseball” powers and allowed the A’s to move to San Jose, he probably doesn’t have the votes.

Lurie never did try to move the Giants to San Jose, but the fact that he now held those territorial rights to the rich high-tech Silicon Valley enhanced the Giants’ value, and was a prime reason why Lurie, who bought the Giants in 1976 for $8 million, was able to sell them for $100 million in 1993 to a group headed by former Safeway magnate Peter Magowan. The San Jose rights were also the reason why Magowan was able to secure financing for the new ballpark in San Francisco, as the Giants now maintain the crux of their constituency — season box and suite holders — is from the Silicon Valley.

To strip the Giants of their territorial rights to San Jose would require a three-quarters vote of the clubs, and as one baseball lawyer observed: “Clubs would realize what a terrible ‘there but for the grace of God go us’ precedent that would create in which all of their territorial rights would then be in jeopardy.” As an example of that, one can’t imagine the Yankees, Mets or Phillies voting to take the Giants’ territorial rights to San Jose away when it could conceivably open the doors for a team seeking to re-locate to New Jersey.

So, with no way to San Jose, where does this leave the A’s and Beane, who recently signed a contract extension through 2019 when he conceivably thought he’d be operating there? With the Giants adamant against making any financial settlement with the A’s on San Jose, Wolff and Fisher would appear to have only two options: Find a suitable site for a new stadium in their own (East Bay) territory, possibly right next door to the Coliseum, or sell the team. At least, if they choose the latter, the likely $1.5 billion-plus the Dodgers figure to fetch will help boost the value of the A’s well past the $172 million they paid for them in 2006.

Or, if everyone concludes the A’s financial survival anywhere in their own territory is untenable, there is the final solution: Contraction. In noting the similar plight of the Tampa Bay Rays, whose ironclad lease with Tropicana Field holds them hostage in St. Petersburg until 2027, one baseball official said darkly: “The A’s and Rays are both in hopeless situations, and there’s no place to move these teams. Hard as this might be to swallow for a lot of us, it would be in the best interests of baseball to contract both of them. You’d have a better game, and it would be two less teams we all have to subsidize.”

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/b...stuck-oakland-article-1.1032531#ixzz1o9KO8u1U
Who wrote this? It sounds like they have no idea what theyre talking about. Everything they said is opposite of every other article or report. It sounds like a whole lot of speculation, I call bullshit. Baseball is better when the A's are good, baseball is better when everybody is good. They dont benefit from having bad teams with poor attendence, and they dont benefit from teams folding all together. Contraction has never been on the table before, suddenly its a such viable option? Apparently this moron hasnt read any part of the new CBA, if the A's moved to SJ they wont need any revenue sharing money since theyll be in a top 15 market. Not to mention the years worth of lawsuits, and the most powerful union being expected to just roll over. Its impossible for the MLB to vote on the A's side? Sabean and the Giants are the least like group in the league. That "reason 1" is completely false. This dude is talking out of his ass.

Apr 26, 2003
East Oakland, USA
Press release issued by the “A’s Ownership”.
For Immediate Release: March 7, 2012

Statement by Oakland A’s ownership regarding A’s and Giants sharing Bay Area Territory

“Recent articles claiming that Major League Baseball has decided that the A’s cannot share the two-team Bay Area market were denied by baseball Commissioner Bud Selig last weekend.

Currently the Giants and A’s share the two-team Bay Area market in terms of television, radio, sponsors and fans. Last year, the Giants opened a specialty store in the middle of the A’s market (Walnut Creek). At the time, Lew Wolff commented that he was ‘fine with the Giants store and wished there was an A’s store in San Francisco.’

Of the four two-team markets in MLB, only the Giants and A’s do not share the exact same geographic boundaries. MLB-recorded minutes clearly indicate that the Giants were granted Santa Clara, subject to relocating to the city of Santa Clara. The granting of Santa Clara to the Giants was by agreement with the A’s late owner Walter Haas, who approved the request without compensation. The Giants were unable to obtain a vote to move and the return of Santa Clara to its original status was not formally accomplished.

We are not seeking a move that seeks to alter or in any manner disturb MLB territorial rights. We simply seek an approval to create a new venue that our organization and MLB fully recognizes is needed to eliminate our dependence on revenue sharing, to offer our fans and players a modern ballpark, to move over 35 miles further away from the Giants’ great venue and to establish an exciting competition between the Giants and A’s.

We are hopeful that the Commissioner, the committee appointed by the Commissioner, and a vote of the MLB ownership, will enable us to join the fine array of modern and fun baseball parks that are now commonplace in Major League Baseball.”